test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    and kids love Dinosaurs.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I disagree with this, we are talking a very long time, humans have only existed for a tiny fraction of the Earth's age. It's possible a race did exist well before us, and all traces, buildings, tools, have been lost, gone, or buried so deep we can't find them. Doctor Who, and even B5, expands on the theory of civilizations changing over time on Earth, going from space traveling, back to primitive, back to space traveling, with little or no evidence of the prior civilization.

B5 only does that into the future with humanity. Which was an hommage to "A Canticle for Leibowitz". And there was tons of stuff from the previous civilization.
    Look where Humans are on the timeline, you have to magnify the last 600 million years to even see them well, so much time between 4 billion years ago and 200,000 years ago when Homo Sapiens sprang up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/history_of_the_earth

We are talking epic time frames here, a lot can change in hundreds of thousands of years, not to mention millions of years and billions of years. All the land masses use to be in a different place too, and who knows what other land masses have sunk under the ocean during all that time. We also have no idea what's under all the ice in Antarctica potentially buried deep under the land. For all we know an entire race could have lived there on that land mass, and the evidence is waiting for us. You dunno, I dunno, so it's possible.

You mean that a civilization that existed after the times we can easily find fossils from developed the means to leave our solar system without ever settling the rest of the planet? Look how humanity crapped concrete and asphalt all over Earth, and we only got people to the moon. If you'd start digging in 65 million years, like we dig for dinosaurs today, you would find remains.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, cool down every one.

Fact 1: Claiming that there was a civilization of humanoid dinosaurs, who developed space travel and fled Earth when an asteroid approached is stupid. If we can find bones from that time we would also find the remains of buildings, tools etc. The thought of a civilization that develops space travel but is so concentrated on its planet of origin that on asteroid wipes out all evidence is almost as stupid as Threshold (which still takes the cake for managing to get the basic equation speed = distance/time AND the theory of evolution completely wrong).

Fact 2: It's canon. This is exactly what Voyager showed to us. Not any escaped DNA smeared on an asteroid that made its way to the Delta Quadrant but dinosaurs who had evolved from hadrosaurs, developed space travel and immigrated.
    You mean that a civilization that existed after the times we can easily find fossils from developed the means to leave our solar system without ever settling the rest of the planet? Look how humanity crapped concrete and asphalt all over Earth, and we only got people to the moon. If you'd start digging in 65 million years, like we dig for dinosaurs today, you would find remains.

There was a show on the History channel show called "Life After People", and it showed various scenarios of what would happen if Humans disappeared from the Earth. And like 100 to 200 years, every evidence of humanity would've disappeared. Even the grandest of humanity's constructions disappeared.

Now when talking about finding evidence of Voth civilization, you are talking millions of years of nature in action: Erosion, Plate Tectonics, volcanoes, plants breaking down objects. They all could've easily wiped out any and all proof of their civilization.

Then what of the Voth civilization itself? We don't know what technological level they were at when they left Earth, as far as we know they were at 20th Century levels and they lived in a single location than worldwide due to other dinosaurs.
    If you consider canon unfortunately the dinosaurs are the most logical addition for the Voth (even with the lasers). Armor makes pretty much 0 sense in Star Trek. That's what personal shields are for, the further advanced a civilization is the less armor you would see (unless it's a fashion choice like for Klingons). Walkers? Who builds a walking machine if he can have one that hovers and flies?

Actually walkers have certain advantages that hover craft cannot. Like if there is a techonlogy that jammed anti-gravity capability
  • tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    adon333 wrote: »
    Was it just me , or was that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker in that commercial voice acting?

Yes, yes it was... :D 80s classics FTW!!!

Here's a link to the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lor_uUkJkkw

Tim
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't know it until you see it in action.

It'd be oddly specious to single out this game when there's an entire film about saving freaking space whales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's a fun idea and should make ground combat more interesting, so I'm all for it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The show jumped the shark when the first green animal women was shown.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    and kids love Dinosaurs.

Kids with their mommies or daddies credit cards. For all the most silly and campy episodes of Star Trek ... Dinosaurs with lasers on their head is by far the most outrageously ridiculous content ever. Might as well start adding garbage from any other series or genre. Maybe it is entertaining but it is certainly not Star Trek.

Btw, just because Trek had a few silly episodes doesn't justify this TRIBBLE. Not to mention the ridiculous power creep (is this even the right word). I seriously hope there is a dev out there willing to do a Trek space game. Heck a remake of Bridge Commander with mod-able ships would have me saying adios.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited October 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Kids with their mommies or daddies credit cards. For all the most silly and campy episodes of Star Trek ... Dinosaurs with lasers on their head is by far the most outrageously ridiculous content ever. Might as well start adding garbage from any other series or genre. Maybe it is entertaining but it is certainly not Star Trek.

Btw, just because Trek had a few silly episodes doesn't justify this TRIBBLE. Not to mention the ridiculous power creep (is this even the right word). I seriously hope there is a dev out there willing to do a Trek space game. Heck a remake of Bridge Commander with mod-able ships would have me saying adios.

They made a movie about stealing space whales... to the future.

Hold off judgement until you can get the full picture of where these beasts fit in, story-wise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited October 2013
    Claiming that there was a civilization of humanoid dinosaurs, who developed space travel and fled Earth when an asteroid approached is stupid.

Silurians (aka Homo Reptilia) in Doctor Who, "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". If it worked there, why not also in ST?
    edited October 2013
    Star Trek IV's plot:
    The clue to a space mystery is the call of an extinct humpback whale that the Enterprise must take back... to the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Did you watch Turnabout Intruder or Spock's brain?
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Did you watch Turnabout Intruder or Spock's brain?

Nope. Those kinds of episodes are outliers. I don't deny that Trek had its silly moments but this beyond them by a factor of 10^3.

I seriously don't get how players aren't annoyed that all those story lines like:

Klink / Fed war
    Rom mystery / Iconians
    True Way / New Dominion
    Undine
    Borg
    on and on are totally ignored ... for the Voth. It is not even one of the cool species from delta quadrant ... there are so many of them. What happened to this being the season of Voyager? Was that just another cynical ploy on their part. If so kudos for their deception. It is truly worthy of the Romulans ...

of course Gene Rodenberry set up the Roms as an allegory(?) on China circa 1950s / 60s. So with PWE it all kind of adds up. Hmn ....
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i will not deny cryptic love you do new enemies but they been doing it from start of the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i will not deny cryptic love you do new enemies but they been doing it from start of the game

I could even deal with that ... but T'rex with lasers ... really. Come the frak on!

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited October 2013
    I could even deal with that ... but T'rex with lasers ... really. Come the frak on!

better then space bunnies
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nope. Those kinds of episodes are outliers. I don't deny that Trek had its silly moments but this beyond them by a factor of 10^3.

I seriously don't get how players aren't annoyed that all those story lines like:

Klink / Fed war
    Rom mystery / Iconians
    True Way / New Dominion
    Undine
    Borg
    on and on are totally ignored ... for the Voth. It is not even one of the cool species from delta quadrant ... there are so many of them. What happened to this being the season of Voyager? Was that just another cynical ploy on their part. If so kudos for their deception. It is truly worthy of the Romulans ...

of course Gene Rodenberry set up the Roms as an allegory(?) on China circa 1950s / 60s. So with PWE it all kind of adds up. Hmn ....
    lol, you really need to watch more of the source material. :P

Spock's brain was relatively tame when it came to a silly plot. The dialog was what made it off the wall.
    Conspiracy is extremely memorable for the fact that it appears to be ominous foreshadowing of a major threat to the Federation. But, it never gets followed up on. The real-world explanation makes sense, but there is no in-universe explanation.
    When the Bough Breaks Mysterious alien race! Technology that makes the Federation tremble! Oh wait they're just losers who need help.....
    Home Soil the Enterprise goes to war with terrifying Silicon based lifeforms! Oh wait they're so small even the Tholians wouldn't pay attention to them.
    Arsenal of Freedom the crew must deal with the technological legacy of weapons that destroyed their makers!
    Unnatural selection Federation researchers have made an amazing breakthrough in genetic medicine! The downside is that the beings thus created exude an aura that slowly kills everyone else....

I could list more but I'm gonna do other stuff now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wonder how closely related the people of "Miri's homeworld" are to those on Earth genetically? Would something like the Voth have evolved there as well?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I dunno, regardless of size, anything that can tear you to shreds in instants is scary enough. Yeah, velociraptors were smaller in reality, but only by a few feet and they were still vicious ****ers.

let's think about this for a second, Raptors are freaking Hawk,Wolf,Racoon hybrids that can F**k up any living thing.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Apart from Dinos with lasers on their heads I'm really looking forward to Season 8. We got a lot of promising stuff coming. Just hope the background story is good too.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I wonder how closely related the people of "Miri's homeworld" are to those on Earth genetically? Would something like the Voth have evolved there as well?
    Excellent question. :D There was nothing in the episode to distinguish them or the planet from Earth in any way. Some of the books actually state that it IS a copy of Earth from an alternate timeline.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinos with lasers?

season 8 is sounding alot like dino storm
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Give me access to their battle armor or gtfo.

That said, I hope they explain that these Voth are a different faction from science-leaning Voyager ones.
    edited October 2013
    deleted.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like someone either wasn't a Voyager fan, or never saw it to begin with.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
    edited October 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Give me access to their battle armor or gtfo.

That said, I hope they explain that these Voth are a different faction from science-leaning Voyager ones.

No, these are purportedly the same Voth, but now we're seeing more of their rather ominous culture.
    While the main Voth we saw in that episode of VOY was indeed a rather pacifistic scientist, we probably shouldn't take that as reflective of the entire culture.
    Especially considering how quickly the Voth ruling body came down on him and the swiftness with which they incapacitated the Voyager.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

And Tasha Yar was killed by a guy in a black, glittery blanket.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game may have diverged from Star Trek in big ways, but, it is still entertaining. I'll continue to play unless there is a better alternative, of which there isn't right now, this is the only Trek like MMO there is.

This 100% ^^^^^^^

With all the possibilities out there dinosaurs is the best they can do?

Idk im not impressed and very disappointed in what season 8 is going to bring :(
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why is it everyone ignores all the other crazy **** that's been in trek the second they talk about space dinos? Many MANY people have already pointed out far crazier things the these guys keep ignoring and honestly its lowering my opinion of these people by enormous amounts. Seriously joran I have thought of you as one of the more sane posters but with this? I don't think I can look at you anymore.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.