What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hear at the end of the new Featured Episodes that you team with Grimlock, Yoshi, Turok and Dino from the Flintstones to fight the Voth King who is aided by Barney and Baby Bop. After your team is successful in beating him Baby Sinclair appears to tell his smoldering carcass that he's not the mama.

Wait, We get to take on and Destroy Barney??

STO is officially the best game EVER.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hear at the end of the new Featured Episodes that you team with Grimlock, Yoshi, Turok and Dino from the Flintstones to fight the Voth King who is aided by Barney and Baby Bop. After your team is successful in beating him Baby Sinclair appears to tell his smoldering carcass that he's not the mama.

-10 points for not including the Dinosaucers
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Wait, We get to take on and Destroy Barney??

STO is officially the best game EVER.

He may love us..... but we would love seeing an eng call down an orbital strike on his purple cold blooded behind.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Are we going Saurian Tales Online now? Dino Trek? Turok Space Edition?

It's called Star T-Rex.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe Wolverine should be added to the landing party...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVJQ-gOiyg

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe Wolverine should be added to the landing party...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVJQ-gOiyg

Ha! Is that Spidey contemplating STO around the 20 second mark?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    -10 points for not including the Dinosaucers

Fine, you then find out the the Voth King is Genghis Rex all along.
  • Options
    vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Makes perfect sense to me that a species that was what we would have called a Dinosaur might have tamed lesser species to do their bidding much in the same way we use dogs and horses.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ha! Is that Spidey contemplating STO around the 20 second mark?

LOL - Yeah, perhaps so!

"Maybe ghost dinosaurs...no, that would be dumb..."

:D

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vladdie wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense to me that a species that was what we would have called a Dinosaur might have tamed lesser species to do their bidding much in the same way we use dogs and horses.

Makes no sence to me at all, in Distant Origins, they scanned Voyagers Databases. Surely after scanning the databases they would of noticed that the referance to Dinosaurs would of been identical to all these beasts they have, more so since they were most interested in this infomration about Earths past, instead they came to the conclusion that one type of dinosaur evolved to become to Voth and left Earth. To me, if they wanted to prove the Voth came from Earth, showing them all the dinosaurs that they know of as 'war pets' would of been extremely conclusive, however, this was not the case at all, so why all of a sudden now do they use dinosaurs with lasers on them?

Also, people keep comparing how we've used animals in militaries here, which is true, we still use horses in the military, but we certainly don't cover them in armour and strap guns to thier heads, it's just bizarre and sounds like something from a cartoon aimed at 10 year old kids.

I'm seriously severly dissapointed in this addition to the game, sure, it sounds awesome, but to me, it's in the wrong franchise, it should in WoW or some other sci-fi game, not Star Trek. STO is soooo far away from what the franchise was now, its not even funny, it really wouldn't surprise me if the addition of dinosaurs with lasers on thier heads could be something to even make the license holders take notice of, afterall, they see a Tier 4 Constituion as breaking the game, pretty sure adding Dino Trek to it is waaaay worse thata T5 Consitution!
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope this is not the case, but we may have jumped a prehistoric shark here.

At the least i can't wait to go back to work and face the ridicule that now Star Trek has Dino Riders. Just when people were beginning to accept my geekiness.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »
    Makes no sence to me at all, in Distant Origins, they scanned Voyagers Databases. Surely after scanning the databases they would of noticed that the referance to Dinosaurs would of been identical to all these beasts they have, more so since they were most interested in this infomration about Earths past, instead they came to the conclusion that one type of dinosaur evolved to become to Voth and left Earth. To me, if they wanted to prove the Voth came from Earth, showing them all the dinosaurs that they know of as 'war pets' would of been extremely conclusive, however, this was not the case at all, so why all of a sudden now do they use dinosaurs with lasers on them?

If you honestly think the that information would have swayed the Voth leadership you need to go back and re-watch the episode. Frankly your conclusions are themselves absurd, because they are prediceated on the idea that hte voth leadership was reasonable related to their belief in their doctrine....The Voth leadership was about keeping doctrine enshrined.... no amount of "Evidence" would have been acceptable.... because what was being challenged was the leaderships built-up concept of legal privilege which they felt entitled to reason from doctrine..... the leadership was willing to imprison the entire voyager crew in order to make that point.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    does anyone else think they are gonna go full Tribble on this?

only finding and sequencing dino eggs for specific traits? raising dinos in your own in ship terrarium?

I mean it's gotta be coming.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    @neoakiraii, love the sig. ;)

The Voth evolved from the Hadrosaur. Not the Velociraptor.
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Not very likely when you watch "Distant Origin".
    The closest match to Voth DNA the Voyager crew could find was the Hadrosaur

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Hadrosaur.jpg

which is not exactly a raptor.;)

Yeah, I know, but unless Cryptic plans on giving us the Clan Ru from the novels, one could speculate about crossbreeding.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    vladdie wrote: »

Exactly. Do you really think the Voth left Earth without any sort of animals to use as pets or livestock or whatever? They're an intelligent species, they're bound to use animals for whatever purpose they require.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Exactly. Do you really think the Voth left Earth without any sort of animals to use as pets or livestock or whatever? They're an intelligent species, they're bound to use animals for whatever purpose they require.

Yes because the Voth never left the Earth as dinosaurs or as a sentient being. There is an old astronomical theory that the asteroid that wiped the dinosaurs out which struck Earth 66 million years ago fragmented and the impact shot fragments containing dinosaur DNA into outer space. 66 million years of evolution later we have the Voth. The Voth likely wouldn't know what a T-Rex or Raptor was if they saw one.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yes because the Voth never left the Earth as dinosaurs or as a sentient being. There is an old astronomical theory that the asteroid that wiped the dinosaurs out which struck Earth 66 million years ago fragmented and the impact shot fragments containing dinosaur DNA into outer space. 66 million years of evolution later we have the Voth. The Voth likely wouldn't know what a T-Rex or Raptor was if they saw one.

Unlikely, considering any fragments that left Earth in that impact wouldn't have reached the Delta Quadrant even in Voyager's time. Nevermind that this post reads like desperation... or Voth propaganda.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Well I quite like what I'm hearing about the new Season. The holding certainly looks promising.

What worries me a bit are the Dinosaurs. Seriously? T-Rex's with lasers? Are we going Saurian Tales Online now? Dino Trek? Turok Space Edition? While it might seem like a cool idea in the first place please don't turn this game into Jurassic Park. I guess there's no chance of getting rid of them anymore but please just don't overdo it then. Thank you.

Having said that, can someone please edit the Voyager trailer and put the Jurassic Park music into it? I'd say that would be an appropriate intro for Season 8 :D

Edit: Not complaing about the Voth here, just about their little back yard "pets".

You make it sound like come season 8 Klingons and Feds will be riding those T-rex all over Qonos and ESD, Like we'll have claw mark patterns for our ships, and we'll get pterodactyl shaped fighters from the Voth rep!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Unlikely, considering any fragments that left Earth in that impact wouldn't have reached the Delta Quadrant even in Voyager's time. Nevermind that this post reads like desperation... or Voth propaganda.

Obviously not considering they would need an environment to grow in and achieve sentiency. Memory Alpha even states they would later reside in the Delta Quadrant, likely after they became a warp capable species. Also, your post reeks of denial and fanboi-ism.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Obviously not considering they would need an environment to grow in and achieve sentiency. Memory Alpha even states they would later reside in the Delta Quadrant, likely after they became a warp capable species. Also, your post reeks of denial and fanboi-ism.

Bullocks. Your assertion isn't even supported by the Voyager episode. It's treated there that the Voth did evolve on Earth and left when they determined their civilization was threatened by the asteroid. You're just making **** up because you don't like the idea of dinosaurs in Star Trek, even though Star Trek itself has done far crazier **** in the past.

Planet Chicago Mobster, anyone?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bullocks. Your assertion isn't even supported by the Voyager episode. It's treated there that the Voth did evolve on Earth and left when they determined their civilization was threatened by the asteroid. You're just making **** up because you don't like the idea of dinosaurs in Star Trek, even though Star Trek itself has done far crazier **** in the past.

Planet Chicago Mobster, anyone?

I'm making it up you say? Actually there has been a resurgence of this theory lately. There are multiple articles all over the internet on it. The Voth leaving Earth when they wanted to leave is what the Voth wanted to believe but Voyager knew better and couldn't bring themselves to tell them what really happened.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can we focus on the amount of fun and rule of cool that has just entered STO?

Seriously, I'm still working on my fanfic and now I have to figure out how to have a Seven year old Magical Girl Clone Jesus transform into a twenty-year old and punch the T-Rex, making friends with it and riding it into battle.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm making it up you say? Actually there has been a resurgence of this theory lately. There are multiple articles all over the internet on it. The Voth leaving Earth when they wanted to leave is what the Voth wanted to believe but Voyager knew better and couldn't bring themselves to tell them what really happened.

Umm...I have no idea where you're getting that from...I saw the episode again months back before the Voth were announced...the one Scientist and Voyager were pretty sure they were distant cousins and nothing ever came up about the Voth evolving from some DNA from a asteroid that hit earth millions of years ago.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »

Also, people keep comparing how we've used animals in militaries here, which is true, we still use horses in the military, but we certainly don't cover them in armour and strap guns to thier heads, it's just bizarre and sounds like something from a cartoon aimed at 10 year old kids.

Well, the American navy trained dolphins to deliver mines onto the hulls of ships. Never used them in war, but still did the training.

And believe me, if we could use animals half as effectively as we do drones, we'd absolutely be doing it.

The day someone finds a way to give K-9 units a taser to attack with in addition to biting criminals, I guarantee they will get contracts from half the police departments in the country.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

You didn't watch the episode at all, did you? It was the Voth that were in denial of their origins on Earth. It was Voyager and the rogue scientist that uncovered that the Voth were from Earth.

The Voth had a damn globe of Earth for crying out loud!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Umm...I have no idea where you're getting that from...I saw the episode again months back before the Voth were announced...the one Scientist and Voyager were pretty sure they were distant cousins and nothing ever came up about the Voth evolving from some DNA from a asteroid that hit earth millions of years ago.

I'm getting that from the fact Voth DNA originated on Earth and that most importantly, they had 47 genetic markers that were identical to Humans and many other Terran creatures throughout Earth's history. The whole episode was a nod to this theory, a blend of science and fiction (sci-fi), if you missed that I'm sorry.
    You didn't watch the episode at all, did you? It was the Voth that were in denial of their origins on Earth. It was Voyager and the rogue scientist that uncovered that the Voth were from Earth.

The Voth had a damn globe of Earth for crying out loud!

So the Voth denied they were from Earth (because of their doctrine) but scientist knew better based on his findings and the Voth also had a globe of Earth? What? You seem to be contradicting yourself here, you make no sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm getting that from the fact Voth DNA originated on Earth and that most importantly, they had 47 genetic markers that were identical to Humans and many other Terran creatures throughout Earth's history. The whole episode was a nod to this theory, a blend of science and fiction (sci-fi), if you missed that I'm sorry.

So the Voth denied they were from Earth (because of their doctrine) but scientist knew better based on his findings and the Voth also had a globe of Earth? What? You seem to be contradicting yourself here, you make no sense.

You're the one who is making no sense and pulling some random theory that wasn't even the least bit evident in the episode.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When they said dinosaurs with laser beams shooting out of their heads, I can't be the only one who thought of this fella? :D
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    You're the one who is making no sense and pulling some random theory that wasn't even the least bit evident in the episode.

It isn't a random theory. It's very relevant. If you missed this, once again I'm sorry. Don't feel bad because apparently STO dev's and writers missed this subtext in the episode as well. Perhaps because none of you have never studied it before? Dunno.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It isn't a random theory. It's very relevant. If you missed this, once again I'm sorry. Don't feel bad because apparently STO dev's and writers missed this subtext in the episode as well, perhaps because no of you have never studied it before.

You're the only one who missed anything...you missed the entire episode. The Voth are from Earth, they escaped the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs. The Voth Scientist discovered a dead human...saw how much they had in common, and tracked down Voyager. The Voth were eventually discovered on Voyager then Janeway and the Doctor discovered they were related.

The Voth mothership intercepted Voyager and the Scientist explained that Human and Voth are related, from the same planet.

But being blinded by their doctrine and stubborn to the fact that they couldn't accept being related to humans, they forced the scientist to either renounce his research or they would enslave the crew of Voyager and dismantle the ship.