test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Came across a Reddit discussion - Is our favorite leech console about to be nerfed? :(

Came across a Reddit discussion - Is our favorite leech console about to be nerfed? :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/48ot2v/tribble_maintenance_and_release_notes_march_2_2016/

[–]SubcommanderKinanra@dragonsbrethren | Daft Canoneer 5 points 22 hours ago
Nerfing the hell out of the Leech still left it uncontested as the best in slot for improving power levels and passive drains. I wouldn't have shed any tears.

[–]TheFallenPhoenixAtem@iusasset | Aggronaut | Projectile Paladin 4 points 22 hours ago
This. Even at 50% effectiveness, Leech was still the uncontested top console in the game. It could stand to have the nerfbat swung its way.

[–]Borticus-CrypticKurland here! 17 points 21 hours ago
Even if that's true, this isn't the time or place to do it. The Skill System Revamp is intended to be a re-imagining of what already exists, rather than being exploited as an opportunity to change things.

I realize that it's a very gray area that separates those two ideas, but it's still present.

[–]WobbleTheHuttTraitor 3 points 20 hours ago
Hot damn bort! Color me impressed! The running joke has been this revamp was going to be a complete mess. I now expect the transition to be a bit bumpy but any nagging issues will be adressed. Thank you and keep up the good work... After a well deserved break.

[–]erikoss 2 points 20 hours ago*
Yes leech is good and incredibly high cost to get. So you get a return on your investment. Its also a specialized console that only does one thing and its good at that. While other consoles have a range of ability benefits. It's been around since the day of creation and majority of players get enjoyment from using it. Why would you want to change something that so many players enjoy to use. Its not hurting anybody. Its free for Kinks. Other player races can get it too. The game world is already balanced and tuned based on its wide use.

[–]afallucco@04gtp 1 point 9 hours ago
Players are still achieving high dps numbers without the leech. The leech is a large investment, it deserves the equal payoff it has now because of the rarity. Leech isn't required for a good build, and it's rarity is what makes it special.

[–]hanika666@synthiasuicide 1 point 20 hours ago
While I am in agreement the Leech is too good. (And have a few of them on alts) I only hope each Ultimate can balance out to be worth Dropping what is seen as Gotta spec into. I mean I went after the Tac Ultimate but do sooo much better simply speccing like I am on Holodeck. But, I plan to try to go after an Ultimate simply for fun, and to make things feel new Again lol.

[–]foxman86 1 point 11 hours ago
No I agree too. The leech needed its nerf. I'm saddened to see it boosted back to its normal value.

Oh, borticius, btw, NOW is the perfect time to rebalance consoles in my opinion. Because you are technically changing consoles with this skill revamp. My personal opinion of course

[–]erikoss 2 points 10 hours ago
You're welcome to your personal opinion. If you want change the DPS of every player in the game, I think best put it to the vote of all players and let every one have their democratic vote. Only way to get a fair outcome that meets the expectations of the all players.

[–]Lr0dy@enkemen 1 point 7 hours ago
Since when is a video game a democracy?

[–]erikoss 2 points 2 hours ago
If you only argument is to joke. You lose. :)

If you want to discuss Ideas on STO and best practice on change management and software testing (my professional expertise), then lets be constructive.

Its best practice to team review ideas for change to get well rounded, well reasoned solutions. What better team is there then the STO players? New consoles have been already been adjusted over time. Then there is the MK14 change that adjusted consoles to epic.

In testing you establish baselines to test software changes against. You have stages of change with baselines and testing in between so if there are issues, you can accurately map bugs to changes. So the idea "Lets re-balance consoles with the skill revamp" is not a sound approach based on the fore mention testing methodology.

[–]erikoss 1 point 2 hours ago
With the mk14 change, came a re-balancing of NPC enemies and elite queues, based on popular baseline DPS ship builds. Changing the leech console that would significantly reduce DPS of these ship baselines, means you would then have to re-balance NPC enemies. There is no payback for the development and testing costs of this change. There is no benefit for the players.

Better to spent development and testing on new ships, content and story that would have a payback and a benefit to players who want to explore further the STO universe.

[–]Alasper@wisemankind 1 point 6 hours ago
You're joking, right?

[–]ValidAvailable 1 point 22 hours ago
Large minority though.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    See this thread: http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/12866524#Comment_12866524

Search "leech" for other threads on the skills revamp.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Dear God I hope so... but not for the moment according to borticus.
    Post edited by samt1996 on
  • Options
    lorrimar79lorrimar79 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I've played quite a few mmo's in my time & when a piece of gear ends up being a "must have" for any one class, much less the entire player base, it gets nerfed. As well it should. Everyone should not have to pony up 75 million EC just to be competitive DPS wise. I'm not at all surprised it's being nerfed & am happy to see it nerfed. And to everyone moaning about it, you really should have known this was coming.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited March 2016
    I own it and I knew it should be nerfed as soon as I tried it. Very soon you will have players come in to this thread and try to explain how fixing is some how stealing their skill and dps. Some how not having a challenge is good in their mind.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The 'nerf' was not intended. It's already been fixed.

Nothing to see here.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    captainraynoldscaptainraynolds Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Yes the "Skills revamp" nerf was fixed. Now players are trying to reverse that fix.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Honestly, I'd hate anything to happen to leech at this point as it It would completely and utterly cripple my D'Deridex build.
    If leech gets hit with the nerf bat in the future, then romulan ships should have their power penalty removed.

TBH I don't understand why warbirds are penalized in the first place. I mean its not like Cruisers, pilot ships and command ships are penalized for their clicky's which are arguably much more powerful than any of the singularity powers.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    captainraynoldscaptainraynolds Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    In total agreement with you. Would be more beneficial to make other drain/power consoles stronger if there really was some need to balance. Just seems its always easier to nerf then do system wide balances, as nerfs take less developer time to do.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    No nerf. The so called 'nerf' was addressed in a recent tribble update!
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Power management is an important mechanic in this game and things like leech have made it laughable and therefore must be nerfed. This is neccesary for game balance and should've happened a long time ago.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Power management is an important mechanic in this game and things like leech have made it laughable and therefore must be nerfed. This is neccesary for game balance and should've happened a long time ago.

Yup, like 5 years ago which did not happen. It is a widely common part of the game now, part of the established rules. Nerfing it now would only mean punish those playing by them without making those which don’t do so any better.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    NERF EVERYTHING!

Aaah, nerfing threads. <3
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yeah, I loved the "X is OP, Plz NERF!" thread.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock