test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Get your free Deadpool class until March 3rd

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Marvel doesn't hold trademark on "the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" - the original holder, John of Patmos, hasn't been around to defend it for something over a thousand years, so it's in the public domain these days. Now, if you were to specifically copy the comic-book characters who have gone by those names, then you've got problems. Similarly, merely having a character named "Thor" might not be a problem - unless you gave him long blond hair, a winged helmet, and a costume like the one Jack Kirby originally designed back in the day. (Mythologically, Thor should be a redhead with a thick beard, dressed in furs; his helmet, if any, doesn't seem to be mentioned in the eddas, but the winged design popular with operas seems to be pretty much ahistorical.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    if a mythological thor were to have any kind of helmet, it would likely be a berserker helmet - a.k.a. the helmet with the horns, which doesn't seem to have a proper nordic name...that i can find after a quick jaunt through bing, anyway​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    if a mythological thor were to have any kind of helmet, it would likely be a berserker helmet - a.k.a. the helmet with the horns, which doesn't seem to have a proper nordic name...that i can find after a quick jaunt through bing, anyway​​
    That's because it's made up. Vikings didn't really have horned helmets. After all, would you go into combat wearing a helmet with giant handles for the enemy to grab?

The word "berserker" comes from the Norse "berserkr," referring to the bearskins they wore to supposedly give them bear strength. Hear the word "bear" in there?
  • Options
    so where did the helmet come from, then? a design like that doesn't just come from the ether - it had to come from some old illustration or tomb​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Easy, you just stick horns on the common peaked helmet that lots of people used.
    only-existing-viking-age-helmet-norway.jpg?w=700&h=756
    This, I believe, is the only actual viking helmet ever found.

History.com says this:
    Forget almost every Viking costume you’ve ever seen. Yes, the pugnacious Scandinavians probably sported headgear when they marched into battle, but there’s no reason to believe it was festooned with horns. In depictions dating from the Viking age—between the eighth and 11th centuries—warriors appear either bareheaded or clad in simple helmets likely made of either iron or leather. And despite years of searching, archaeologists have yet to uncover a Viking-era helmet embellished with horns.

The popular image of the strapping Viking in a horned helmet dates back to the 1800s, when Scandinavian artists like Sweden’s Gustav Malmström included the headgear in their portrayals of the raiders. When Wagner staged his “Der Ring des Nibelungen” opera cycle in the 1870s, costume designer Carl Emil Doepler created horned helmets for the Viking characters, and an enduring stereotype was born.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That's because it's made up. Vikings didn't really have horned helmets. After all, would you go into combat wearing a helmet with giant handles for the enemy to grab?

The word "berserker" comes from the Norse "berserkr," referring to the bearskins they wore to supposedly give them bear strength. Hear the word "bear" in there?
    actually... ber(bear) + serk(shirt) + r(suffix indicating that it's a person)

So a literal translation would be: person wearing a bear shirt. Bear hides were kind of a status symbol for them. Bears are big and scary. Thus people who know how to kill bears aren't particularly common. Not super rare, but not every hunter was willing to try it.
    now here's an interesting quandry...if someone were to make one or more of the four horsemen in CO, would that get them in trouble with marvel or DC (and cryptic by extension since CO is their game), even though i believe both companies have their own versions in their respective universes?

i don't think the horsemen can be trademarked at all because they're figures of mythology and religion - the specific appearances, maybe, but not the horsemen themselves​​
    Well, the four horsemen concept is public domain, but the War/Famine/Pestilence/Death thing is different from the original source(War/Conquest/Famine/Death).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    i prefer the modern horsemen...Conquest steps on War's toes way too much because it's a similar force

though, to be fair, War, Famine and Pestilence all step on Death's toes because they all lead to death​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm so tired of having to report trademark violations

Why do you 'have' to report trademark violations?

Has Marvel's lawyers recruited you for this task?

No I do it for free becuase I respect a healthy imagination more than a ripoff.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

Fair enough... but the R.R.W 'Legend' does not sound particularly imaginative...
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2016

A fine sentiment, but completely irrelevant to the issue of reporting.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

Fair enough... but the R.R.W 'Legend' does not sound particularly imaginative...

I suck with romulan ship names. At least I didn't name it the "Scimitar" or the "Faeht"

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options

I only mentioned why I do it for Free. :p

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

That's fine, but the reason you mentioned has nothing to do with reporting. You said you respect a healthy imagination more than a ripoff. That's great. That has nothing to do with reporting people that break the rules.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

That's fine, but the reason you mentioned has nothing to do with reporting. You said you respect a healthy imagination more than a ripoff. That's great. That has nothing to do with reporting people that break the rules.

I was being a little obtuse. don't have to make an issue over it feel free to continue your normal conversation.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    i prefer the modern horsemen...Conquest steps on War's toes way too much because it's a similar force

though, to be fair, War, Famine and Pestilence all step on Death's toes because they all lead to death​​
    Well, in the original, none has a proper name. Conquest and War are descriptions, and Famine's nature is a bit ambiguous. A literal reading would seem to be "food scarcity" which isn't necessarily famine. (a denarius was a silver coin and worth about one day's wages and is shown in a scenario where it will buy just enough food to feed people for a day) Death is said to be the embodiment of death but it's not actually a proper name. The original Greek uses the word thanatos but it also uses the word thanatos for deadly diseases, aka "pestilence". which is a description of what Death creates.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Thanatos? I know of a battlemech called a Thanatos. Always wondered where that might have come from. I know where Rakshasa came from...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    there's a Thanatos in Arcanum too; it's an island off the southern portion of the main landmass where the majority of the game takes place - the landmass, i mean; the island you don't get to go to until very late in the main storyline​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Thanatos? I know of a battlemech called a Thanatos. Always wondered where that might have come from. I know where Rakshasa came from...
    Yeah it's Greek. :p Apparently it's also the origin of the Marvel comics Supervillain Thanos's name. You know.. the guy obsessed with Death(the cosmic entity in comics). :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I kinda only know Thanos from the movies.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    me too...but i do know that, comic-wise, he has some warped feeling of love for Death (who happens to be female) and is hunting the infinity gems to gain enough power to wipe out all life in the universe in some sick, deluded attempt to woo her...or something like that​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    me too...but i do know that, comic-wise, he has some warped feeling of love for Death (who happens to be female) and is hunting the infinity gems to gain enough power to wipe out all life in the universe in some sick, deluded attempt to woo her...or something like that​​

More appropriately, at least in the day and age that I collected comics, Thanos loved the Cosmic force named "Death" (who depicted "herself" as female) and did attempt to woo her.

However, as he wasn't a cosmic being, said attempts failed. Till he got the Infinity Gem set and formed them into the Infinity Gauntlet, at which point his first act as a being "with cosmic levels of power" was to kill half the universe, instantly, for Death. However, since it was all "unnatural" deaths, she declined to go out with him, and at the same point the heroes all came in and wound up saving the day (with a touch of help from Thanos' self-sabotage...)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    Also at one point Death got annoyed at Thanos and declared that he was never to die so that he would never get to see her in person. Yeah, Thanos tried THAT hard to impress her... and failed miserably. Apparently he went around mass-murdering so many people that Death got irritated at the disruption of the natural order.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    so where did the helmet come from, then? a design like that doesn't just come from the ether - it had to come from some old illustration or tomb​​

I really hope you don't actually believe a word of what you just said. Its common knowledge that horned viking helmets are a myth. Specifically it dates to 1876 with the first bayreuth festivals production of Der Ring des Nibelungen. In short, those helmets are a matter of poetic license and victorian romanticism about vikings
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

I don't really follow comics anymore, and the last movie based on a comic book that I saw was Dredd 3D (as in Judge Dredd). Before that were Batman Rise and Ironman 2.

Anywaste, regarding Death, Thanos and Deadpool. There is a bit of a love triangle going on there. Thanos attempted to woo Death, but Death rejected him and made him immortal so that they will not meet again. On the other hand Death and Deadpool had a thing for each other and that made Thanos extremely jealous. I believe Thanos had one of his minion cast a curse Deadpool so that he is immortal (extremely potent regenerative abilities to the Nth degree; cut his head off and it will regenerate). That way Death and Deadpool can never be together.

Since Thanos lives far away from Earth and has been made immortal by Death, there is no point for Deadpool to seek revenge against Thanos. Besides, it seems Deadpool has no problems being immortal.
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Besides, it seems Deadpool has no problems being immortal.
    Well, being completely full-goose-bozo insane probably helps with that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

And there's also the fact that Deadpool is written as a character that can break the 4th wall in the comics; meaning he knows he is a fictional character. That carries over into the movie.

Based on a spoiler filled review of Deadpool, there is a scene where Colossus tells Deadpool that they need to go speak with Professor X. Deadpool's paraphrased reply is:
    Which one? Steward or McAvoy?

• Options
    edited March 2016

And there's also the fact that Deadpool is written as a character that can break the 4th wall in the comics; meaning he knows he is a fictional character.
    That's actually part of his insanity. He believes that he's a comic-book character, and that all his internal dialog takes place in little yellow boxes above his head. (In one panel of his comic, Deadpool thinks something, and another character says, "We can hear you, you know." He replies, "Oh, are my little yellow boxes broken again?")

This is echoed with the villain Foxbat in-game in CO, when you save him in the tutorial and he runs off calling for someone to tell a GM to move him to a different spawn point.
    Post edited by jonsills on
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

And there's also the fact that Deadpool is written as a character that can break the 4th wall in the comics; meaning he knows he is a fictional character.
    That's actually part of his insanity. He believes that he's a comic-book character, and that all his internal dialog takes place in little yellow boxes above his head. (In one panel of his comic, Deadpool thinks something, and another character says, "We can hear you, you know." He replies, "Oh, are my little yellow boxes broken again?")

This is echoed with Foxbat in-game, when you save him in the tutorial and he runs off calling for someone to tell a GM to move him to a different spawn point.

and also with defender in certain UNITY missions bringing up answering PMs from witchcraft​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited March 2016
    {duplicate post}
    Post edited by jonsills on
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    i think jonsills broke the forums​​

#LegalizeAwoo