Install Arc
Options

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    You're the only one who missed anything...you missed the entire episode. The Voth are from Earth, they escaped the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs. The Voth Scientist discovered a dead human...saw how much they had in common, and tracked down Voyager. The Voth were eventually discovered on Voyager then Janeway and the Doctor discovered they were related.

The Voth mothership intercepted Voyager and the Scientist explained that Human and Voth are related, from the same planet.

But being blinded by their doctrine and stubborn to the fact that they couldn't accept being related to humans, they forced the scientist to either renounce his research or they would enslave the crew of Voyager and dismantle the ship.

I've seen the episode countless times. Apparently you missed the whole part about Distant Origin Theory and Gegan's irrefutable evidence though.
  • Options
    lookmanohandslookmanohands Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs with Lasers? I am shocked nobody has recognized that yet. Come on fellas! Did you live beyond the moon in the late eighties and early nineties?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRodKHD8lrE
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How about we all just watch it, right here, right now

It took life on earth billions of years to reach even the dinos. Now, tell me how can some random DNA, blasted into space, regenerate into inteligent life in less than 66 million years? They would have had to re-evole from scratch. Hell, the plot of that "Super Mario Bros." movie seems more plausible than this.

The Voyager twice made the point that the Voth were evolved Hadrosuars (the point is brought up again during a conversation with Starfleet once Voyage makes contact)
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've seen the episode countless times. Apparently you missed the whole part about Distant Origin Theory and Gegan's irrefutable evidence though.

Were you perhaps washing dishes or otherwise spending half of your attention from the TV during every time it was on? Because honestly, it is really like you have not watched the episode in question at all. It is pretty much concluded by the episode's end by the rogue Voth scientist and Voyager that they evolved on Earth and the Voth leadership remained in denial about it because it went against their beliefs.

Panspermia wasn't even mentioned once.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Were you perhaps washing dishes or otherwise spending half of your attention from the TV during every time it was on? Because honestly, it is really like you have not watched the episode in question at all. It is pretty much concluded by the episode's end by the rogue Voth scientist and Voyager that they evolved on Earth and the Voth leadership remained in denial about it because it went against their beliefs.

Panspermia wasn't even mentioned once.

Well you know, Gegen's science friends testified after meeting with the counsel that his theories were not conclusive.... It quite obvious this was a completely scientific and well thought out opinion from him and not one coerced by an organization which would be willing to intern hundreds of people just to maintain the status quo.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It took life on earth billions of years to reach even the dinos. Now, tell me how can some random DNA, blasted into space, regenerate into inteligent life in less than 66 million years? They would have had to re-evole from scratch.

Considering the DNA/proteins were already assembled before being blasted into space it absolutely could depending on the type of radiation it was exposed to/type of planet it landed on. Read the articles I linked in my other comments, if anything they should entertain you.
    Hell, the plot of that "Super Mario Bros." movie seems more plausible than this.

So is the idea that dinosaurs were sentient and blasted off the Earth without leaving a single trace of their existence.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So is the idea that dinosaurs were sentient and blasted off the Earth without leaving a single trace of their existence.

Since you're so fond of using random scientific theories to contradict what was otherwise shown on screen, here's a documentary that supports what was shown on screen that you need to watch. It's called "Life After People."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY
  • Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs with Lasers? I am shocked nobody has recognized that yet. Come on fellas! Did you live beyond the moon in the late eighties and early nineties?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRodKHD8lrE

Was it just me , or was that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker in that commercial voice acting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Since you're so fond of using random scientific theories to contradict what was otherwise shown on screen, here's a documentary that supports what was shown on screen that you need to watch. It's called "Life After People."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY

You can say its random but you are wrong, it is totally relevant. Sorry to burst your bubble. Here is a documentary that might be more on your intellectual plane. Hope you have a nice day! ;)
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    If you honestly think the that information would have swayed the Voth leadership you need to go back and re-watch the episode. Frankly your conclusions are themselves absurd, because they are prediceated on the idea that hte voth leadership was reasonable related to their belief in their doctrine....The Voth leadership was about keeping doctrine enshrined.... no amount of "Evidence" would have been acceptable.... because what was being challenged was the leaderships built-up concept of legal privilege which they felt entitled to reason from doctrine..... the leadership was willing to imprison the entire voyager crew in order to make that point.

I was actually referring to Gagen, NOT the Voth leadership, when he accessed Voyagers Databases if he'd seen creatures that used to live on earth that he knew from everyday life amongst his own culture surely that would of been on interest to him as evidence of thier origin? I'm fully aware of how the Voth leadership were about Doctrine (to an absurd ammount for supposed scientists), I just think that if the Voth genuinly used T-Rexs with lazers attached to thier heads, Gegan would of noted this as evidence they came form earth as earth had the exact same species they have.

I'm actually quite surprised how adament people are defending Cryptic adding dinosaurs with lasers strapped to thier head as plausable canon to the game, sayingthat, we have lightsabres, we now have mech warriers, doubt it will be too long until we get unicorns, transformers and zombies...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You can say its random but you are wrong, it is totally relevant. Sorry to burst your bubble. Here is a documentary that might be more on your intellectual plane. Hope you have a nice day! ;)

So, ad hominem. Classic tactic of someone who has lost the argument and lacks the maturity to admit it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So, ad hominem. Classic tactic of someone who has lost the argument and lacks the maturity to admit it.

I haven't lost anything since you have failed to prove your point. Enjoy your Saturday! ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I haven't lost anything since you have failed to prove your point. Enjoy your Saturday! ;)

Sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalalalala" isn't going to change the fact that you're still wrong.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't mind seeing dinosaurs in the game. With all those planets in the galaxy that we visit. I'm sure we find some kind of giant reptiles. Look at the Gorn. If we saw their world, I'm sure we will find dino looking creatures there too.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalalalala" isn't going to change the fact that you're still wrong.

And the same can be said of you. I've presented an argument that you obviously don't fundamentally understand. I haven't lost the argument but I refuse to continue to scream at a wall trying to convince you.

Did you ever think that at the end when Gegan is all excited that he's discovered and proved that the Voth were from Earth and wishes to go back someday and that Voth and Human are cousin that perhaps Chakotay doesn't want to rain on his parade by telling him that his ancestors were wiped out by a massive asteroid? The subtext is there IMHO.

Now for the 3rd time, have a great Saturday! ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »
    I'm actually quite surprised how adament people are defending Cryptic adding dinosaurs with lasers strapped to thier head as plausable canon to the game, sayingthat, we have lightsabres, we now have mech warriers, doubt it will be too long until we get unicorns, transformers and zombies...

This. It amazes me how closed minded and self-righteous some individuals can be, but I didn't expect anything less out of an anonymous internet forum. :(
  • Options
    veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not very likely when you watch "Distant Origin".
    The closest match to Voth DNA the Voyager crew could find was the Hadrosaur

Yeah, I know, but unless Cryptic plans on giving us the Clan Ru from the novels, one could speculate about crossbreeding.

The thing you have to keep in mind is it was Voyager that did the DNA testing of the one voth in thier sickbay, and it was never said from the Voth what their distant ancestor was. For all we know not only Hadrosaurs but other dinos also evolved so the Voth very well could be like the Xindi with the social class we saw as having evolved from Hadrosaurs and for all we know they could have a warrior caste that evolved from Raptors etc etc

It's also not any odder to have dinos with laser beams on thier heads than having the klingon targ officers transporting in wave after wave of targs to fight you. Besides that Humans have used other mammals in warfaire in the past, the Voth just happen to use other repitles.

I think the point from the devs though is that we got such a very small glimps at the Voth from the one episode they were in and they have such advanced tech that we don't really know what they are like... I mean, a random scienctist had a personal phase cloak. If people of their race are carrying those around like we carry cell phones, god only knows what their actual military would be like.

If I had to lament anything about the Voth, it would be that we really should not stand any kind of chance against them. I know the current Federation in the game is a lot farther along than the tech on Voyager, but we aren't *that* much father along to make up that huge head start the Voth have...
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This. It amazes me how closed minded and self-righteous some individuals can be, but I didn't expect anything less out of an anonymous internet forum. :(

Closed minded, you're the one who is closed minded...you think you're right and even when no one agrees with you you're still right no matter what.

In fact...I would say you're as closed minded as the Voth with their little doctrine.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Closed minded, you're the one who is closed minded...you think you're right and even when no one agrees with you you're still right no matter what.

In fact...I would say you're as closed minded as the Voth with their little doctrine.

Nobody agreed with Gegan either...but he was right! ;)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013

http://amerinfidel.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/pot-kettle.jpg
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And the same can be said of you. I've presented an argument that you obviously don't fundamentally understand. I haven't lost the argument but I refuse to continue to scream at a wall trying to convince you.

I understand it, but your premise is flawed. Panspermia wasn't mentioned anywhere in the episode, not to mention there wasn't any time for the dino DNA to re-evolve from scratch (that's a process that takes billions of years--the dinosaur extinction occurred a mere 65 million years ago) and in fact it was pretty much confirmed that the Voth were evolved hadrosaurs by Voyager's crew.

As lian said, you're the one who's close-minded, like the Voth leadership.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    and in fact it was pretty much confirmed that the Voth were evolved hadrosaurs by Voyager's crew.

yep right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjuptfaTqyo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Oh I agree, but honestly it goes both ways. Thanks for trying to throw a can of gas on the fire. Troll.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    HEY... I have a GREAT idea for the Season 8 Title:
    Star Trek Online
    The Lost World
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    HEY... I have a GREAT idea for the Season 8 Title:

i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do I... how can it be any more fitting:
    • Reference to a Great Dino Movie
    • Reference to a Lost world (we must assume that the Dysons-sphere is somewhat "lost" from the info we have now).
    • Dinosaurs (obviously).
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Jurassic Trek Online : Legacy of Dinosaurs
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I understand it, but your premise is flawed. Panspermia wasn't mentioned anywhere in the episode, not to mention there wasn't any time for the dino DNA to re-evolve from scratch (that's a process that takes billions of years--the dinosaur extinction occurred a mere 65 million years ago) and in fact it was pretty much confirmed that the Voth were evolved hadrosaurs by Voyager's crew.

As lian said, you're the one who's close-minded, like the Voth leadership.

That isn't the case really. I know it wasn't mentioned in the episode but to me, once again, the whole episode was a nod to this phenomenon. There is no evidence to support that life couldn't evolve in such a short period of time either, given the right conditions. The DNA wouldn't evolve from scratch either, there would be proteins evident there too. Meteors and asteroids that have hit Earth have had these extraterrestrial proteins on them even. I guess this is an IDIC fail. Just trying to explain something using actual science which is just waaay more interesting to me than "there's just a dinosaur planet ok?". I guess that is why STO is becoming such a turn-off for Trek fans.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That isn't the case really. I know it wasn't mentioned in the episode but to me, once again, the whole episode was a nod to this phenomenon. There is no evidence to support that life couldn't evolve in such a short period of time either, given the right conditions. The DNA wouldn't evolve from scratch either, there would be proteins evident there too. Meteors and asteroids that have hit Earth have had these extraterrestrial proteins on them even. I guess this is an IDIC fail. Just trying to explain something using actual science which is just waaay more interesting to me than "there's just a dinosaur planet ok?".

It would still need billions of years. It takes a long, long time for single-celled life to become something intelligent.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Jurassic Trek

I considered that first, but it seems a bit too obvious, don't you think?