What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would still need billions of years. It takes a long, long time for single-celled life to become something intelligent.

On Earth, yes. In outer space? Who knows...
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know that reason :D Can't wait for everyone to see why!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Are we going to find out that actual raptors do more damage than our KDF raptors?
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On Earth, yes. In outer space? Who knows...

You're not going to convince me with speculation, especially speculation that isn't even supported by the episode. The episode made clear that the Voth evolved on Earth from hadrosaurs and then left. That's what the whole holodeck scene was about.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are we going to find out that actual raptors do more damage than our KDF raptors?

i hope so :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    if Anything, Maybe It Gives The Devs The Excuse They Need To Finally Let Us Get Our Hands On The isomagnetic Disintegrator. Big Targets Require A Big Punch!
    Ooohhh!!!! Want!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So i guess the quality of this game is starting to degrade imo i think with season 8 we can say STO will have officially jumped the shark.

Idk everyone else but season 8 is looking more like a big let down when we see trek we expect a t-bone steak only for cryptic to give us hot dogs.

Ive been playing this game less and less with each passing week as a trek fan im disappointed
    in the direction the game.

If a new trek game were to come out id quit this game altogether but for now i wait and grudgenly login once in a while.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And this why I posted the actual episode...

The idea that DNA from one planet can seed another is theoretically possible.

BUT, and this is a BUT the size of a Voth city ship, it has no bearing on the evolutionary history of the Voth. They grew and developed as a race on Earth, and left. A proper scientist wold want to learn everything as soon as possible.

And we can use "A Piece of the Action" as evidence in this case. The people of Sigma Iota were intel event enough already and just used the book as a guideline.

And BTW, for the record, in the real word, the dinosaurs never went completly extinct anyway. Birds are dinosaurs. The T-Rex's closest living relative is the chicken. Go look at the Wikipedia page, it says "Dinosaurs, 231MYA to present"
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    any one thought preserve could have something to do with the voth just a thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I can haz ur stufz?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How do we know a new season is coming out...the forums are full of doom and gloom

I'm lost I thought seasons 1-7 that was the down fall of this game. :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    any one thought preserve could have something to do with the voth just a thought
    Yeah, that WOULD explain quite a lot actually....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can haz ur stufz?

ROFL!! HEY!!! now i havent even found a trek game online ...i dont think there is another one at present :eek:

If i did quit i wouldnt talk about it on the forum id just quit and not say a word unless to my buds ingame and then quietly walk away not quit threads like the type we see on here alot.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    How do we know a new season is coming out...the forums are full of doom and gloom

I'm lost I thought seasons 1-7 that was the down fall of this game. :confused:

Im not saying the game is going to die im saying with season 8 we can say this game as far as it being trek has jumped the shark personally i wish they would change the name stop calling it star trek when its clearly not.

will the game die? nope
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Velociraptors with lasers would not be very scary, as velociraptors were not very big.

What you want is Utahraptor. They were more the size you see in Jurassic Park.
    What's my position?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And BTW, for the record, in the real word, the dinosaurs never went completly extinct anyway. Birds are dinosaurs. The T-Rex's closest living relative is the chicken. Go look at the Wikipedia page, it says "Dinosaurs, 231MYA to present"

This is one of my favorite facts of paleontology, and one so frequently forgotten by people. It's always portrayed in TRIBBLE poor depictions that the asteroid hits and then everything keels over dead all over the world like a magic instant death bomb.

The asteroid changed the climate... life had to adapt to the new conditions, thus large life like the dinosaurs couldn't be supported anymore. So they became smaller.

And T-rex is tasty.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    This is one of my favorite facts of paleontology, and one so frequently forgotten by people. It's always portrayed in TRIBBLE poor depictions that the asteroid hits and then everything keels over dead all over the world like a magic instant death bomb.

The asteroid changed the climate... life had to adapt to the new conditions, thus large life like the dinosaurs couldn't be supported anymore.

And T-rex is tasty.

What you're saying is...life finds a way :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    This is one of my favorite facts of paleontology...

Mine two.

/10char
    What's my position?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, life finds a way. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Velociraptors with lasers would not be very scary, as velociraptors were not very big.

What you want is Utahraptor. They were more the size you see in Jurassic Park.

I dunno, regardless of size, anything that can tear you to shreds in instants is scary enough. Yeah, velociraptors were smaller in reality, but only by a few feet and they were still vicious ****ers.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013

The asteroid changed the climate... life had to adapt to the new conditions, thus large life like the dinosaurs couldn't be supported anymore. So they became smaller.

And T-rex is tasty.

This seems to be an on-going notion, not just with Dinosaurs but also your other prehistoric creatures, both related to the "Extinction" event as well as general climate change over the course of the planets long history.

The Earth as it changed just didn't have what it took to support large predators.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, cool down every one.

Fact 1: Claiming that there was a civilization of humanoid dinosaurs, who developed space travel and fled Earth when an asteroid approached is stupid. If we can find bones from that time we would also find the remains of buildings, tools etc. The thought of a civilization that develops space travel but is so concentrated on its planet of origin that on asteroid wipes out all evidence is almost as stupid as Threshold (which still takes the cake for managing to get the basic equation speed = distance/time AND the theory of evolution completely wrong).

Fact 2: It's canon. This is exactly what Voyager showed to us. Not any escaped DNA smeared on an asteroid that made its way to the Delta Quadrant but dinosaurs who had evolved from hadrosaurs, developed space travel and immigrated.

If you consider canon unfortunately the dinosaurs are the most logical addition for the Voth (even with the lasers). Armor makes pretty much 0 sense in Star Trek. That's what personal shields are for, the further advanced a civilization is the less armor you would see (unless it's a fashion choice like for Klingons). Walkers? Who builds a walking machine if he can have one that hovers and flies?
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,216 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It clearly is still star trek. There's far more outlandish stuff in trek that you guys are ignoring like space TRIBBLE psychic Romans in space Q ummm alien Greek gods that robin hood episode and many others in forgetting. So next time you think trek wouldn't have eventually had space dinos in it think "Oh wait they already had more ridiculous stuff in trek!".
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Well I quite like what I'm hearing about the new Season. The holding certainly looks promising.

What worries me a bit are the Dinosaurs. Seriously? T-Rex's with lasers? Are we going Saurian Tales Online now? Dino Trek? Turok Space Edition? While it might seem like a cool idea in the first place please don't turn this game into Jurassic Park. I guess there's no chance of getting rid of them anymore but please just don't overdo it then. Thank you.

Having said that, can someone please edit the Voyager trailer and put the Jurassic Park music into it? I'd say that would be an appropriate intro for Season 8 :D

Edit: Not complaing about the Voth here, just about their little back yard "pets".

In the famous words of John Hammond..."We spared no expense"...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    As I've said, dinosaurs are actually one of the more saner ideas compared to the things westx listed. I remember a few times while watching Star Trek where I've gone "wtf?" This doesn't make me go "wtf."

I personally look forward to our coming dinosaur adversaries.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Well, what kind of war beasts would you expect a culture as advanced as the Voth to have? And considering the Voth themselves are technically Earthlings, too, it's to be expected that any animals they have would be descendants of creatures that were their contemporaries all those eons ago.

65 million years have gone by since the Voth were the "Hadrosaur"'s of Earth. And yet somehow, neither Velociraptor or T-Rex evolved in that time? If Cryptic wanted to be a bit more creative, they would've come up with designs of their own for evolved species of dinosaurs. How would an evolved T-Rex look, compared to the evolved Hadrosaur? How would an evolved Velociraptor look?

Cryptic could've made the Voth in a similar manner to how we saw the Xindi: Several distinct looking sub-species, but as a whole, they were all "Xindi".

Instead, we are left with "Dinos with freaking lasers shooting from their heads". As quoted by Mr Geko. At this point, perhaps it is us as players who should be shooting lasers at his head. This is not the first bad suggestion by Mr Geko over the past several years. It's surely not gonna be the last.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd point out that the Voth and thier Origins are canon, and that being descended from Dinosaurs, it makes sense that before thier dispora they would domesticate other Dinosaurs for various tasks.

What is cool is that it gives humans a kind of commonality with the Xindi.

Humans are Earthlings, but oddly so are the Voth.

Weird thought, but how awesome would Mirror Universe Voth be. MU Voth I invision as party loving freedom obsessed Dinosaur people. "The Doctorine dude? You harshing my mellow dude"
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So you see pictures of genetically engineered saurian war beasts, and that's what's making you decide STO has "jumped the shark"?

Sorry, but as others have pointed out, that is one of the far less ridiculous ideas that have been introduced to the Trek universe itself, much less STO's continuity.

And honestly, the dinosaurs are not even really the main new visually interesting thing Season 8 has on the table, or are you forgetting not just the Voth themselves, but the entirety of the Dyson Sphere? It's a visually breathtaking area, and you're gonna miss out on it if you think something as tame as fake-a-saurs is enough to "ruin" STO for you.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    65 million years have gone by since the Voth were the "Hadrosaur"'s of Earth. And yet somehow, neither Velociraptor or T-Rex evolved in that time? If Cryptic wanted to be a bit more creative, they would've come up with designs of their own for evolved species of dinosaurs. How would an evolved T-Rex look, compared to the evolved Hadrosaur? How would an evolved Velociraptor look?

Cryptic could've made the Voth in a similar manner to how we saw the Xindi: Several distinct looking sub-species, but as a whole, they were all "Xindi".

Instead, we are left with "Dinos with freaking lasers shooting from their heads". As quoted by Mr Geko. At this point, perhaps it is us as players who should be shooting lasers at his head. This is not the first bad suggestion by Mr Geko over the past several years. It's surely not gonna be the last.

So are Apes really gonna catch up to us now?

Well they made monkey out of me.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Actually that tyrannosaur looks slightly smaller than the skeletons I've seen in photographs. It's more allosaur size, don't you think? So some evolution seems evident.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, cool down every one.

Fact 1: Claiming that there was a civilization of humanoid dinosaurs, who developed space travel and fled Earth when an asteroid approached is stupid. If we can find bones from that time we would also find the remains of buildings, tools etc. The thought of a civilization that develops space travel but is so concentrated on its planet of origin that on asteroid wipes out all evidence is almost as stupid as Threshold (which still takes the cake for managing to get the basic equation speed = distance/time AND the theory of evolution completely wrong).

I disagree with this, we are talking a very long time, humans have only existed for a tiny fraction of the Earth's age. It's possible a race did exist well before us, and all traces, buildings, tools, have been lost, gone, or buried so deep we can't find them. Doctor Who, and even B5, expands on the theory of civilizations changing over time on Earth, going from space traveling, back to primitive, back to space traveling, with little or no evidence of the prior civilization.

Look where Humans are on the timeline, you have to magnify the last 600 million years to even see them well, so much time between 4 billion years ago and 200,000 years ago when Homo Sapiens sprang up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/history_of_the_earth

We are talking epic time frames here, a lot can change in hundreds of thousands of years, not to mention millions of years and billions of years. All the land masses use to be in a different place too, and who knows what other land masses have sunk under the ocean during all that time. We also have no idea what's under all the ice in Antarctica potentially buried deep under the land. For all we know an entire race could have lived there on that land mass, and the evidence is waiting for us. You dunno, I dunno, so it's possible.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game may have diverged from Star Trek in big ways, but, it is still entertaining. I'll continue to play unless there is a better alternative, of which there isn't right now, this is the only Trek like MMO there is.