What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The newest should be the best for everyone. I'd try it out for sure.

Thanks! I foresee great things!
  • Options
    clarringtonclarrington Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off, big, huge, mega thanks for building this Mac wrapper to play STO. I thank you, my son thanks you, but my wife hates you. :)

One issue I am running into is that with the single button mouse, I can't figure out how to Discard items from my inventory. I can see online that a Windows user right clicks on the item and selects Discard, but I can't seem to do any of that. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off, big, huge, mega thanks for building this Mac wrapper to play STO. I thank you, my son thanks you, but my wife hates you. :)

One issue I am running into is that with the single button mouse, I can't figure out how to Discard items from my inventory. I can see online that a Windows user right clicks on the item and selects Discard, but I can't seem to do any of that. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Make sure that you have right clicking enabled on your mouse in your System Preferences. I play with my TrackPad on my Macbook Pro just fine. I have it set to always take 2 finger taps as a right click, so in game I just two finger tap for a right click as well, just like in the OS normally.

Tell your Wife she should play with you guys for some fun family time :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have the worst luck I swear, I can't get past the bar-less loading screen. On my fourth hour plus try while I was asleep the music started playing about five hours in, on all the tries my button mac prompts like volume control and window select stop working after about twenty minutes.
  • Options
    clarringtonclarrington Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make sure that you have right clicking enabled on your mouse in your System Preferences. I play with my TrackPad on my Macbook Pro just fine. I have it set to always take 2 finger taps as a right click, so in game I just two finger tap for a right click as well, just like in the OS normally.

Tell your Wife she should play with you guys for some fun family time :-)

Thank you so much! That worked. And my wife is very understanding, I'm mostly joking. She's only marginally a Trek fan, but I'm working on her. :)
  • Options
    femshepfemshep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try a lot of the in-game graphics options... sometimes certain options will show up issues that others won't... like on my GPU, certain nebulas look messed up if AA is turned on.

On lowest graphic settings. My mac is 4 years old. Unfortunately that means no using higher in game graphic settings. I do that and the entire screen starts flickering black and then the entire system freezes up with the exception of the mouse being able to move. Causes all sorts of problems. I wish I had the money for a new mac but can't afford it right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've run into an issue running 1.6.0 on my OSX which is 10.6.8 the game slows down my entire system. It's harder on ram and other stuff. I mean seriously hard on it. It's even slow in game. Not sure if this helps with fixing things. I'm back to playing in 1.5.1 as that seems to speed things back up.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I got 1.6 to work by throwing the cryptic folder in there, but there were al sorts of visual glitches like missing shield facings and terrain objects, I will be doing some more tests with reinstalls to try and fix some stuff, will report back with results.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well I couldn't get an original instal to work but my old CS folder did the job and the game is performing better than ever, just missing some graphical assets. Cheers, I can't wait to see what else you can pull off.
  • Options
    ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so anyone able to log in and play with older equipment (<2010 machine, 10.6.8)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ru4tedward wrote: »
    Okay, so anyone able to log in and play with older equipment (<2010 machine, 10.6.8)

I use 10.6.8 and the only way I was able to get the wine 1.6 to work was by bringing my old cryptic studios folder from the last wine iteration into the new ones program files folder.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I'm playing on 10.6.8 on a imac 2009 model. Same thing with what cidstorm did. Imported the game from 1.5.1 to 1.6.0 but I prefer 1.5.1 cause it doesn't lag my computer to hell.
  • Options
    camhortocamhorto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have a bit of an issue with launching the game on 1.5.1

STO runs smoothly up until i hit the "Engage" button, after that it turns the screen black permanently, without showing the loading screens and the character selection. the sound still works, however i cannot see anything. this only happens after the first time i launch from the wrapper, after that this bug happens.

im running 1.5.1 on OSX 10.7.5. '09 model
    So, this is the Legacy of Romulus...
    Patches every other day, lag, patches, queues are bugged, patches, server lag, patches, server offline... Whats next?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sadly i have no current way to test the game on 10.6 and 10.7, and the newer and much better graphics drivers in 10.8 are great for gaming... I'd really suggest if you are on 10.6 or 10.7 to upgrade to 10.8 if your machine will handle it, only costs $19.99 and is a great OS. I know some older machines cannot handle it though, but there isn't a lot I can do about older graphics drivers that Apple refuses to update. There is also no guarantee that 10.8 will solve issues for every GPU used out there as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sadly i have no current way to test the game on 10.6 and 10.7, and the newer and much better graphics drivers in 10.8 are great for gaming... I'd really suggest if you are on 10.6 or 10.7 to upgrade to 10.8 if your machine will handle it, only costs $19.99 and is a great OS. I know some older machines cannot handle it though, but there isn't a lot I can do about older graphics drivers that Apple refuses to update. There is also no guarantee that 10.8 will solve issues for every GPU used out there as well.

Im guessing you're not the one who made the mac driver? If so, im sure it's original makers will improve upon and make it more usable for older macs. I already see a nice performance boost over 1.5.1, the missing graphical assets aren't really a big deal for me.
  • Options
    flammamortemflammamortem Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks, i only have a mac, this is amazing.:):):D:D
  • Options
    lifecrux177lifecrux177 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I followed the link you posted on how to fix the mouse problem. By inserting -enablerawinputsupport 0 into the launcher. When I go to insert it I see that it is already there. I deleted it and put it back in and nothing changes. The game is also lagging pretty hardcore when it first loads up. I'm on a MAC 1.7.5 and my wineskin is 6.0
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Im guessing you're not the one who made the mac driver? If so, im sure it's original makers will improve upon and make it more usable for older macs. I already see a nice performance boost over 1.5.1, the missing graphical assets aren't really a big deal for me.

Ken Thomases at Codeweavers has done almost all the work on the Mac Driver. Its slowly improving, but some of the limitations and issues happen the same wether its X11 or Mac Driver, because the issue isn't with those. Now some of the raw performance issues are the Mac Driver, so of course it will get better in performance and capability, but its still rather new.
  • Options
    geakgiksgeakgiks Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My client freezes when my captain and crew come on the selection screen, specifically after almost loading all the toon/ship textures. Everything on screen freezes except the mouse cursor, both the STO program and OSX. Game sound/music still continues to play and other apps (despite the freeze) still are active, such as I still hear people talking over VoiPs. No response to keyboard clicks. Unable to Force Quit.

Tested on a Mac Mini and an iMac.
    Tested under STO Wine client 1.3.1 on both, 1.6.0 on the Mac Mini.
    Tested using both original+updated install and reinstall.
    Using standard and lowered graphics settings.
    Same issues are repeatable on all tests.

Both Macs have NVIDIA graphics cards, Intel Core 2 Duo processors and run Snow Leopard.
  • Options
    reachfilmsreachfilms Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guys i am having so many problems trying to get the STO wrapper to work post Legacy of Romulus.

every time i get to the brightness slider the game freezes on me.

i tried installing 1.6.0 but it is even worse, as when the game gets past the legacy of romulus logo i get crazy colors appear on my screen.

The game worked pretty great before the patch and when i tried to use tribble before the patch went live it did the same thing to me so i was dreading the release because i figured this would happen :(

any advice would be amazing!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    reachfilms wrote: »
    guys i am having so many problems trying to get the STO wrapper to work post Legacy of Romulus.

i tried installing 1.6.0 but it is even worse, as when the game gets past the legacy of romulus logo i get crazy colors appear on my screen.

The game worked pretty great before the patch and when i tried to use tribble before the patch went live it did the same thing to me so i was dreading the release because i figured this would happen :(

Have you tried activating the wine command in the launcher options menu?
    Have you tried putting 1.5.1's cryptic studios folder in the 1.6.0 program files folder?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Have you tried activating the wine command in the launcher options menu?
    Have you tried putting 1.5.1's cryptic studios folder in the 1.6.0 program files folder?

yes did both, i dont know what else to do :(
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    is it possible i have not installed something?

I have the 1.6.0 wrapper and wineskin winery installed on my computer but thats all
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    is it possible i have not installed something?

I have the 1.6.0 wrapper and wineskin winery installed on my computer but thats all

You don't need winery and you usually don't want to change anything in the wrapper until you are optimizing performance.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

After i did a full download via the patcher again on 1.6.0, the brightness selection screen ran horribly. I had issues getting past it, where I thought it was frozen, but the mouse pointer was slightly off and it was lagging horribly. Was fine once I eventually got past it. Try clicking in areas around the buttons on not directly on them to see if you can get past the screen, as it may not really be locked up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    just tried unfortunately still cant get passed the screen, and sometimes it wont even show up it will freeze on the romulan logo

any other suggestions?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    also crazy colors fill the screen like a glitch sometimes after romulan logo and wont even show brightness screen
  • Options
    crusher444crusher444 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everything is working great for me with 1.6.0 other than the mouse input is super glitchy (I was seeing the same thing with the CX 12.1.2 + winemac driver installed into STO UMV 1.5.1 though, so I'm guessing this is a STO problem)

I tried the listed work around (disable raw input in the STO launcher), but it did not seem to make any difference. My setup is a 2009 Mac pro, 10.8.3 + all updates, ATi/AMD (apple oem) 5870.

It's nice that the in-game brightness slider finally does something :)
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wine 1.6 is not working for me. I can't move my character.. the graphics seems slow.. more than usual. I don't seem to be able to use my keyboard to control my character check episodes etc.

Also.. with 1.5.1 .. its takes very long time to just log into the game. Sometimes it can load forever to get to DS9 or Spacedock.. not sure why.
  • Options
    myrddinwooding23myrddinwooding23 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heya sorry if i posted this in the wrong place :-s

i'm running Wineskin, wrapper 2.5.9 engine - WS8Wine1.3.36, using Mac OS 10.6.8 and i think using directx11??

Basically my problem is that i can't finish logging in/can't select a character because the char selection screen is black..

I see the cryptic screen with the white loading bar, then the new romulus logo screen with ' loading' underneath the logo, then after this is what i assume would be the char selection screen with 'st.30.20130513a.29' in center at the top, and the two blue minimise/close buttons far top right corner, the rest of the screen stays black forever, with music playing but no character selection or login fields or anything, just blackness and music, please help me perfect world, i love the game but can't play post the new romulus patch!

thanks, myrddinwooding23