test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

I know the other thread is a sticky (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76799) but its an old archived post and can no longer be edited. I have a new version made, and that post has 2000+ replies, so maybe its time for a new post to be stickied :-)

What the heck is the Unofficial Mac version?
Its a mac .app you can put the Windows version inside of, and run it on Mac OS X without having to install or use Windows! The final product looks and works like a normal Mac .app (for the most part). This download is a "wrapper" not the full game. You will have to either copy your installed version from Windows inside of it (fastest), or reinstall the game into it and do full patching and everything... More specifically, it is a Wineskin wrapper.

just a big note...

This is not made by or supported in any way by Cryptic Studios, Perfect World, or anyone associated with them... this is entirely fan made

System Requirements are the same as Windows version, since it uses the Windows version
It runs on Mac OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, and OS X 10.8
Intel GMA950 and X3100 GPUs will not work correctly, or at all, but most other AMD, Nvidia, and Intel HD graphics should work.
Since the 1.6.0 update, GPUs are untested, and the wrapper is no longer using X11, so it is currently unknown what will not work right.

***Download link is at the bottom of this post***

If your crashing in Earth Space Dock, you need to try lowering down some graphic settings at least temporarily... turning on half resolution usually works while at ESD, maybe turning off other graphics settings... annoying I know...

Bajoran Fire Caves
Weird graphics bug here, that turns the screen gray. How to fix it? Set your graphics setting off of custom settings and set it down to bare minimum low settings... then you should be able to see everything. You can then turn all your graphics settings back up and it should remain fine while your there...

Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.5.1 (Uses X11)
Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.6.0 (Uses experimental Wine Mac Driver)

(Direct download links hosted through Dropbox.com)
The download comes with directions on how to use this wrapper
double click the .zip file to unzip it, it will give you a folder with the wrapper, and directions.

Backup Download Link at Mediafire-->All STO UMV versions made are available here

***MAJOR NOTE!
If you have mouse movement and click issues, and /or typing issues, try this...
  • Open the launcher.
  • Click on Options on the top right.
  • In Advanced command line, enter the following:
  • -enablerawinputsupport 0
  • Click OK and launch the game as usual.
Post edited by therealdoh123 on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    New thread is a good idea. Thanks. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    meltypantsmeltypants Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Cool. Thanks for all the hard work in getting STO to work on mac.
  • Options
    thegunsmith34thegunsmith34 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey, i'm really glad you've come out with this port. However, I'm having trouble. The game launches fine and everything, but every NPC and the player character have no textures and, up close, I cannot see their model. More often than not I have strange graphical issues such as the screen turns red or blue ect.
    Space, however, works perfectly fine!

I would appreciate some help! Thanks
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey, i'm really glad you've come out with this port. However, I'm having trouble. The game launches fine and everything, but every NPC and the player character have no textures and, up close, I cannot see their model. More often than not I have strange graphical issues such as the screen turns red or blue ect.
    Space, however, works perfectly fine!

I would appreciate some help! Thanks

System specs? Not sure what that would be off the top of my head.
  • Options
    jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hello,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for making STO work on OSX. I appreciate all the work you've put into it.

My problem I'm having is that STO crashes at random. Sometimes it'll go for a long time without crashing, and other times it'll just keep crashing over and over again. I never know when it's going to crash.

For the past few days (since Sunday, 9 Sep), I've been completely unable to log in at all. I click on STO, it tries to boot up, and then nothing; just a blank black screen (where the mouse cursor turns into an X) with a blank white rectangular area in the upper left corner of the screen where the log-in fields are supposed to be (where you enter your username & password). Since I'm unable to go any further than that, I just press "Esc" and that usually shuts it down. If that doesn't work and it's completely unresponsive to any controls, I have to shut my Mac down completely and re-start it.

I'm using a 2008 24" iMac running 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, with a 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's an older iMac, but it still works fine and can play STO with Wineskin (when it's not crashing). But now I can't even get into STO at all.

Do you know if Cryptic might have made any recent changes to STO that may have caused it to break compatibility with Wineskin? Or is there a newer build of Wineskin that I need to download in order for it to work again? Any help you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    fully support the new sticky, how is the new build comparing to the last version?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jaywest21 wrote: »
    My problem I'm having is that STO crashes at random. Sometimes it'll go for a long time without crashing, and other times it'll just keep crashing over and over again. I never know when it's going to crash.

For the past few days (since Sunday, 9 Sep), I've been completely unable to log in at all. I click on STO, it tries to boot up, and then nothing; just a blank black screen (where the mouse cursor turns into an X) with a blank white rectangular area in the upper left corner of the screen where the log-in fields are supposed to be (where you enter your username & password). Since I'm unable to go any further than that, I just press "Esc" and that usually shuts it down. If that doesn't work and it's completely unresponsive to any controls, I have to shut my Mac down completely and re-start it.

I'm using a 2008 24" iMac running 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, with a 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's an older iMac, but it still works fine and can play STO with Wineskin (when it's not crashing). But now I can't even get into STO at all.

Do you know if Cryptic might have made any recent changes to STO that may have caused it to break compatibility with Wineskin? Or is there a newer build of Wineskin that I need to download in order for it to work again? Any help you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance...
    occasionally (pretty rare) files in STO get corrupt... happens on Windows or Mac. You might need to do a STO reinstall, or try a fresh new copy of the wrapper.
    havam wrote: »
    fully support the new sticky, how is the new build comparing to the last version?
    its using a test version of Wineskin 2.5.7 which has some bug fixes over the previous version, making things a bit more stable. Most of my time went into making a new version of WineskinX11 built in, which fixes many issues... which in STO, so far has helped going in and out of fullscreen not freezing the graphics up nearly as often on many machines, and allowing it to work without having to use Override->Fullscreen setting in Wineskin, so things just work auto and you can set all the resolution stuff in game, and the launcher window is really a window and not fullscreen yet... And its easier now to just hit Cmd+Enter to toggle fullscreen instead of Cmd+Opt+A.
  • Options
    jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OK, I'll try re-installing it and see if that works. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    System specs? Not sure what that would be off the top of my head.

I've got an older i mac. 2GB ram, ATI Radeon x1600.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I've got an older i mac. 2GB ram, ATI Radeon x1600.

well, you can try doing the GLSL thing set to off thats listed in the directions... but the X1600 is notorious for graphics problems. I had one before and even many Mac native games wouldn't run without graphics problems. I think some of the problems got fixed in 10.6 and then a few more in 10.7... but still was always buggy, so I'm not sure if there is a fix.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    well, you can try doing the GLSL thing set to off thats listed in the directions... but the X1600 is notorious for graphics problems. I had one before and even many Mac native games wouldn't run without graphics problems. I think some of the problems got fixed in 10.6 and then a few more in 10.7... but still was always buggy, so I'm not sure if there is a fix.

Great! That seems to have worked. Thanks!
  • Options
    lightkeeplightkeep Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a Mid2010 iMac 3.06GHz, 4GB with Radeon HD4670. Tried with 1.50 version but all I get is audio and a blank screen with just the cursor after I log in.
  • Options
    lightkeeplightkeep Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I deleted it and started over and it works now, just keep getting an error message that I have to type a command to get to go away.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    lightkeep wrote: »
    I deleted it and started over and it works now, just keep getting an error message that I have to type a command to get to go away.

what kind of error? typing what?
  • Options
    cliffstahcliffstah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Having some issues with 10.8.2. I get a black screen after the loader and it goes no further. I've tried various settings, and I've tried the new wrapper to no avail. I've also tried updating XQuartz.

Logs after test run:

LastRunX11: http://d.pr/f/cHsC
    LastRunWine: http://d.pr/f/YnIX

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Logs after restart (different output, but same problem it seems):

LastRunX11: http://d.pr/f/X9L9
    LastRunWine: http://d.pr/f/QLMA
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cliffstah wrote: »
    Having some issues with 10.8.2. I get a black screen after the loader and it goes no further. I've tried various settings, and I've tried the new wrapper to no avail. I've also tried updating XQuartz.

Logs after test run:

LastRunX11: http://d.pr/f/cHsC
    LastRunWine: http://d.pr/f/YnIX

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm having exactly the same issue, 2010 Mac Pro with a 5770.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm having exactly the same issue, 2010 Mac Pro with a 5770.

2011 iMac 27" with a 6970M here.
  • Options
    zany1zany1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi, I just updated my Mac to Lion 10.7.5 and when I went back to the game, the launcher worked fine, but when I hit engage, The launcher just disappeared and no new window opened up. I just got back into this game from a year ago and I would really like to play again, but I don't want to spend 20 bucks in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

WHAT CAN I DO?!:(
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zany1 wrote: »
    Hi, I just updated my Mac to Lion 10.7.5 and when I went back to the game, the launcher worked fine, but when I hit engage, The launcher just disappeared and no new window opened up. I just got back into this game from a year ago and I would really like to play again, but I don't want to spend 20 bucks in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

WHAT CAN I DO?!:(

Mountain lion would put you on 10.8.2, which is what everyone else is having problems with.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    10.8.2 is having serious issues with many things related to graphics... don't expect anything to work... stay on 10.8.1 for now.
  • Options
    traltalastraltalas Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    2011 iMac 27" with a 6970M here.

Same as me. I had no trouble with the 1.3.1 wrapper I had been using in 10.8.1, and am patching under the new wrapper now in 10.8.2.

When I tried running the game with the 1.3.1 wrapper in 10.8.2 I never got past the login/launcher.

I'll let you know how it goes after I patch.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The game will not work in 10.8.2 ... there is some serious issue with 10.8.2 and any 3D graphics trying to run with Wine are completely failing and hosing processes in X11.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The game will not work in 10.8.2 ... there is some serious issue with 10.8.2 and any 3D graphics trying to run with Wine are completely failing and hosing processes in X11.

Too late :-/ Odd though, that something this fundamental would change in 1 point release.

What can I/we do to help fix it?

Incidentally, other 3D games I play work just fine (those that don't use Wine).

Edit 1: if this is down to Apple, has this been reported to Apple as a bug yet?

Edit 2: it does appear that the AMD/ATI driver has been updated in 10.8.2 (but not the NVidia driver). Oddly, people are reporting that it supports OpenGL extensions that were not supported before - so in theory I guess it should be better, if it worked..
  • Options
    traltalastraltalas Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah so no dice. Isn't working for me either in 10.8.2. So for now STO is dead in the water for me.

Would be great if Cryptic/Perfect World finally stepped their game up and threw some $ at developing a os 10 version of the game.

Apple's market share of new computers is off the charts so I don't understand why they aren't as they look for new subscribers.

That said I won't be able to play until Cryptic/PW step their game up, or until this is fixed. :(

Standing by....
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    traltalas wrote: »
    Yeah so no dice. Isn't working for me either in 10.8.2. So for now STO is dead in the water for me.

Would be great if Cryptic/Perfect World finally stepped their game up and threw some $ at developing a os 10 version of the game.

Apple's market share of new computers is off the charts so I don't understand why they aren't as they look for new subscribers.

That said I won't be able to play until Cryptic/PW step their game up, or until this is fixed. :(

Standing by....

I'm not convinced an OS X "native" client wouldn't suffer this problem, since if there were one it'd most likely be based on Cider or some other Wine based/related tool. Does EVE online still work?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Apparently it's not just Wine with problems. VirtualBox too in some instances. Not sure if its the same root cause, but it is a 10.8.2 issue..

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4545033

In the case of VirtualBox, the author(s) are releasing an update to fix it. We can only hope for the same from WineHQ.
  • Options
    vamikelawsonvamikelawson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mountain lion would put you on 10.8.2, which is what everyone else is having problems with.

Count me as having problems with 10.8.2, too. Not good, not good.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Too late :-/ Odd though, that something this fundamental would change in 1 point release.

What can I/we do to help fix it?

Incidentally, other 3D games I play work just fine (those that don't use Wine).

Edit 1: if this is down to Apple, has this been reported to Apple as a bug yet?

Edit 2: it does appear that the AMD/ATI driver has been updated in 10.8.2 (but not the NVidia driver). Oddly, people are reporting that it supports OpenGL extensions that were not supported before - so in theory I guess it should be better, if it worked..
    happens on Intel and nvidia GPUs too... Crossover is broken as well... seems anything that uses Wine is broken.
    I'm not convinced an OS X "native" client wouldn't suffer this problem, since if there were one it'd most likely be based on Cider or some other Wine based/related tool. Does EVE online still work?
    officially supported clients are always easier to use and usually less problematic... no matter how they port it. Cider doesn't seem to be having an issue with the update (its a fork off Wine from many years ago so is quite a bit different)... its something either in Wine itself, or with libXplugin for X11 support, which Cider doesn't use, but all other usage of Wine does.
    Apparently it's not just Wine with problems. VirtualBox too in some instances. Not sure if its the same root cause, but it is a 10.8.2 issue..

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4545033

In the case of VirtualBox, the author(s) are releasing an update to fix it. We can only hope for the same from WineHQ.
    I'd like to know their fix... but VirtualBox actually uses some Wine code for their DirectX handling so it could be the same root problem.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    officially supported clients are always easier to use and usually less problematic... no matter how they port it. Cider doesn't seem to be having an issue with the update (its a fork off Wine from many years ago so is quite a bit different)... its something either in Wine itself, or with libXplugin for X11 support, which Cider doesn't use, but all other usage of Wine does.

A "native" (read: Cider) client would be amazing. As you know, Cryptic etc. are notoriously tight lipped on the subject. But I did email Transgaming a few months back to suggest they might find a customer if they approach them :-P
    I'd like to know their fix... but VirtualBox actually uses some Wine code for their DirectX handling so it could be the same root problem.

Ah interesting. Very interesting. I'd go digging, but as luck would have it my Internet connection went down and I'm currently 3G'ing on my iPad. In two days I've lost STO and my Internet - first world problems hey.
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So I guess I killed it when I updated. ugh. Damn me for being an early adopter.

Looks like I am running it under VMware, which means rubber banding and lag. But atleast I can run mu doff missions etc...

Oh and didnt Cryptic say there is no hope for a mac version? That they never intend to put one out. I thought I recall that.