test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any word on extreme load times for Spacedocks

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
DS9 and ESD are ridiculously long and has been for some time. As I am typing this I am waiting for DS9 to load. It has currently been 7 minutes and the number on the right side of the screen has gone from 94 to 96 during that time. No other area gives these problems. Am still waiting after finishing typing this post.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    They fixed it. They increased the auto-log-out timer to 60 minutes. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    One way of looking at it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ugh this problem annoys me so much when I'm trying to do Tour. I can get 4 runs in so long as ESD loads fast enough, but usually it hangs up on at least 1 run. I've found that if it hangs at loading ESD its faster to just exit the game and re-login and it loads right away.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    weezedog wrote:
    its faster to just exit the game and re-login and it loads right away.
    This.
    Also it´s a bit annoying to always have to actually kill the process to achieve this.
    Would be much better if after a minute or so the game would at least dump me back to the character selection screen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    K-Dawg_LSM wrote:
    DS9 and ESD are ridiculously long and has been for some time. As I am typing this I am waiting for DS9 to load. It has currently been 7 minutes and the number on the right side of the screen has gone from 94 to 96 during that time. No other area gives these problems. Am still waiting after finishing typing this post.

The last time this was mentioned, Branflakes said the programmers were looking into it. Apparently it was some tricky stuff for them to figure out.

I know how frustrating it is. When I was doing the Tour the Galaxy Race on my Fed toons in getting zonelocked, it costed me my full potential of 6 laps. But a friend suggested to close STO while in mid load, and within a minute of loading up STO again, you finish zoning. Sure you lose time, but at least you're not stuck waiting for 5 to 10 minutes.

But we know one thing, it tends to happen around the 94 mark. So whatever loads during that time is the llkely culprit. And reducing graphics does lower the chance of a zonelock.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    i sometimes run into this issue, and at othertimes i dont get it. but when it happens, if hasnt been anything longer then about 3 minutes at most.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thing is though, we have the computers to run the game at full graphics (well i do) with no problems but this problem prevents me from doing that. I'm having to run at low graphics settings just to be able to get the ESD and DS9 loading down to less than 5 minutes.
    If they fixed this problem we would be able to knock the graphics level back up.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't think it's a just a problem of the game. When I dock at ESD or DS9, the loading takes approx. 10 seconds.
    It seems that lots of data need to be loaded. You should try to defrag your harddisk and see if it gets better.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    This is really annoying, I actually don't visit ESD any more for this reason. If I have to (BO trainer etc.) I save up EVERYTHING I could possibly do there, make a run for it and dont return for weeks.

What works nice if you do STFs from social areas a lot try to be at ESDs lower level, normally theres no one there. Getting on and off STFs takes merely seconds this way :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    They fixed it. They increased the auto-log-out timer to 60 minutes. :D

Ha! ;)

/10 char
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I haven't had problems with DS9, but ESD is a damn nightmare.

Until they fix the transporter buffers at these places, the best thing to do if you get stuck is quickly re-log. Usually gets me in without a wait.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I was on a team a couple days ago. I beamed straight into ds9. a team mate was still in sector space and another friend was in stuck loading in. The person that was stuck on a load screen showed that he was in one instance. When I beamed down I was in a different instance but it looked like he was in the same instance as me but with out the shield showing he was still map moving but to the guy in sector space he saw us in 2 different instances. when he finally beamed in he showed up properly in my instance.

I think the long load times has to do with being queued for one instance and by time the system is ready you can no longer get into that instance so it is full. that is the way it appears to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    This may help, may not but this is how I got ESD to load fast:

I have two computers I play STO on this is what i learned about the loads.. at least in my experience. its a problem with STO and the graphics. I dont know why it shouldn’t be. My main computer loads ESD quite quick but my second computer using a slightly older card (but with updated drivers) can take up to 10 minutes to load or not load at all when I run at optimal settings (medium resolution for that card)

odd thing is the card is plenty powerful enough to run STO and once i load a zone it looked nice. However in order to even be able to load ESD, DS9 or a few others I had to turn my graphics down to low. Now the zones load fine; including ESD, it only takes seconds to load.

Irks me of course because i know the card can handle more, heck even STO says it can so I don’t think it’s a card issue so much as some odd compatibility issue with my card and STO.

I wish I could figure out what graphics option is causing it.. I have spent time playing with AA and resolutions and have not found any particular setting that I can change to fix it.. all I can do is run on low which looks well.. bad
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Has anyone with this issue tried a complete reinstall, complete with DELETING THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS FOLDER in your Program Files? (I highly doubt it. :rolleyes:)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Soon - like everthing else.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Has anyone with this issue tried a complete reinstall, complete with DELETING THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS FOLDER in your Program Files? (I highly doubt it. :rolleyes:)

Actually, I sort of.

My computer died 2 months ago and I had to put STO on the new computer and they both experienced the extended loading issues. If there is a connection the only thing I can think of is the video cards I'm using are NVIDIA cards.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The best way to get to ESD is to beam down to the Acasemy then up to ESD takes me secs.
    I don't why they do't have this set up like the Klingons with the City of San Francisco as being the where the Fed council meets a lot like the First city on Q'ronos sp.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Satanlike wrote: »
    I don't think it's a just a problem of the game. When I dock at ESD or DS9, the loading takes approx. 10 seconds.

Approximately 2 seconds for me. And it's not like I'm running a really powerful computer either. i7 920 w/ 12gb ram and an underclocked (yes, you read that right) ati 4890.

Course, I'm loading the game off of a 150gb WD Raptor, so that might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Pretty much everywhere in the game takes about the same 5-10sec to load, but ESD, DS9 and MA tend to take a little longer than most. Mind I tend to go to the Captains Table instead of ESD most of the time... frankly prefer having less people around.

Since Free-to-Play launched it has felt as crowded as the first couple of weeks after launch again, or whenever a new Season came out lol

Space is too damn small for this many people :'(
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Age01 wrote: »
    The best way to get to ESD is to beam down to the Acasemy then up to ESD takes me secs.
    I don't why they do't have this set up like the Klingons with the City of San Francisco as being the where the Fed council meets a lot like the First city on Q'ronos sp.

For me its not the spacedock itself its the system. As soon as i enter sol system or try to it will churn on the loading screen. Usually i actually have to shut the game down and go back in .. set graphics to Low and try again and tada right in in seconds.

But that is good info if i have problems loading the actual dock
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    One of the first things I did was completely uninstall the game and update my video drivers. Switched between Direct X options. Nothing made a difference. I have the same exact problem on my laptop which I did nothing to. My desktop has an ATI card and my laptop an Nvidia card.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    One of the first things I did was completely uninstall the game and update my video drivers. Switched between Direct X options. Nothing made a difference. I have the same exact problem on my laptop which I did nothing to. My desktop has an ATI card and my laptop an Nvidia card.

Chances are the issues is latency-based, if it is then fixing the issue would be problematic at best.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    A possible work-around is to first beam to Earth and then to ESD. Never had the problem in DS9 so no ideas there.