What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    darkelipse04darkelipse04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry; but for those who are still on a very old version of Mac OS (10.6.8 seems to be the popular one here) and have a Mac that can support the update to 10.8 please update! It's cheap on the App Store!

As mentioned many times here; the graphic drivers in 10.6.8 are very dated and issues are to be expected. If you are on a legacy Mac that cannot go beyond 10.6.8...you might just be SOL.

STO UMV 1.6.0 was worked wonders on my machine! Thank you for your hard work Doh!
  • Options
    myrddinwooding23myrddinwooding23 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    I use 10.6.8 and the only way I was able to get the wine 1.6 to work was by bringing my old cryptic studios folder from the last wine iteration into the new ones program files folder.

After reading through all these posts i did this but when it gets to the launcher it just says the error message:

'Bad Request'

How do i sort this out? any body had this problem too?
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After reading through all these posts i did this but when it gets to the launcher it just says the error message:

'Bad Request'

How do i sort this out? any body had this problem too?

Did you use the native mac unzipper utility to open the game and wine downloads? Not doing that caused me a lot of problems way back.
  • Options
    ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, so, I'm betting that the 1.51 - 1.6 folder switch only works if you have a previously working version of 1.5.1 I made the mistake of doing a fresh install before that trick came out and ... well... 10GB is a lot of space to be storing multiple copies, so I ditched the old one.
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hi

im getting a lot of crashes ingame. from simple things: loading new sector, clicking somewhere. and i get the "loops, cryptic error" message. i didnt had that before, started yesterday. oh, i use the 1.5.1 wrapper. dont really know i should go to 1.6.
    just thought give you a heads up. nothing serious but still.

cu and keep up the good work doh123
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    gefjongefjon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know this is a little off topic, but.....

I run STO in a Wineskin and it works really well. I updated it with Legacy of Romulus and it still worked after that. Great work.

However, I also have Neverwinter in a copy of the same Wineskin. This worked fine until the latest patch - after which it gets to the EULA screen and the mouse and keyboard no longer work, so I can't accept and move on. The Launcher lets me login, but I can't actually get into the game.

As both games are now with PerfectWorld, I had assumed the Wineskin would work for both - which was true until the last patch of Neverwinter - despite the 'patch' of STO being a much larger update.

Any help please?

(Running Lion on an iMac)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Did you use the native mac unzipper utility to open the game and wine downloads? Not doing that caused me a lot of problems way back.

I'm unsure what you mean by this cidstorm? When i downloaded the version 1.6.0 UMV in the first thread and i think my mac unzipped it automatically, possibly said 'unarchiving'? My problem is now i put my 1.5.1 cryptic studios folder into the drive c>Programme Files folder but now when i click on the star trek.app in the 1.6.0 folder the screen brightness kicks up a knotch then theres a minute delay and just a white window pops up with star trek online at the top but nothing else, not even says 'loading...' i thought it was about activating 'wininet' in woinetricks to allow internet access to 1.6.0 but this didnt help... can some one offer more advice?

thanks myrddinwooding
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm unsure what you mean by this cidstorm? When i downloaded the version 1.6.0 UMV in the first thread and i think my mac unzipped it automatically, possibly said 'unarchiving'? My problem is now i put my 1.5.1 cryptic studios folder into the drive c>Programme Files folder but now when i click on the star trek.app in the 1.6.0 folder the screen brightness kicks up a knotch then theres a minute delay and just a white window pops up with star trek online at the top but nothing else, not even says 'loading...' i thought it was about activating 'wininet' in woinetricks to allow internet access to 1.6.0 but this didnt help... can some one offer more advice?

thanks myrddinwooding

Sorry, you seem to be doing everything right up until activating wines internet thing. When you installed, did you make sure not to create any shortcuts or desktop icons within wine, these options are given on the initial install inside of wine.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, you seem to be doing everything right up until activating wines internet thing. When you installed, did you make sure not to create any shortcuts or desktop icons within wine, these options are given on the initial install inside of wine.

I just downloaded a new version of startrek online whats the next step? Do I just allow my mac to unzip it?
  • Options
    orionsrockorionsrock Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    Anyone else seem to have either of these issues?

-I can't hear footsteps for some reason. Every other sound is audible just not the footsteps. It doesnt seem big but this actually is slowly driving me insane.

-Nimbus crashes...alot.
  • Options
    cpthickscpthicks Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi, I've been running STO on 1.5.1 and switched over to 1.60 a few weeks ago. The issue I have is that the the only way I can launch the game is by going into Wineskin and using the Test Run button. If I open the application as normal the icon bounces a few times in the tray and disappears, not opening the game launcher or the STO.exe.

What is causing this odd behavior?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    eveytime i want to warp to an other sector, AND i have any other window open (UI of doff, inventory, etc.) the game crashes with an "oops, cryptic error" message box.
    (i use 1.5.1 wrapper)

PS: the title should be "crash" not "cash" :D
  • Options
    admiral80admiral80 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i have instaled the app. it patches fine but when i clik engage it closes the windo and i cant open a new windo with out quiting and starting again.
  • Options
    admiral80admiral80 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cpthicks wrote: »
    Hi, I've been running STO on 1.5.1 and switched over to 1.60 a few weeks ago. The issue I have is that the the only way I can launch the game is by going into Wineskin and using the Test Run button. If I open the application as normal the icon bounces a few times in the tray and disappears, not opening the game launcher or the STO.exe.

What is causing this odd behavior?

i am also having this problem and a solution would be appreciated
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    crusher444 wrote: »
    Everything is working great for me with 1.6.0 other than the mouse input is super glitchy (I was seeing the same thing with the CX 12.1.2 + winemac driver installed into STO UMV 1.5.1 though, so I'm guessing this is a STO problem)

I tried the listed work around (disable raw input in the STO launcher), but it did not seem to make any difference. My setup is a 2009 Mac pro, 10.8.3 + all updates, ATi/AMD (apple oem) 5870.

It's nice that the in-game brightness slider finally does something :)

I have this too, but for 1.5.1. I have a macpro 10.7.5. Never had this problem before.
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi I've just installed STO but cant get it to run properly.

it's version 1.5.1
    I get as far as the brightness adjustment screen and I hear music but the program freezes.

I'm running on a Macbook pro 2.2 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, Nvidia graphics card and OS 10.6.8

I disabled the GLSL but that hasn't worked. Anyone got any tips on getting this to run? Thanx
    - Craig
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After searching more it looks like this software wont run on my mac... nevermind then.
    :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was able to get the game to run decently using the MacDriver over X11... but its having some issues where the mouse pointer is very inaccurate and sometimes doesn't register mouse clicks... need to figure that out before making it available, because its too annoying to play.

EDIT: actually the mouse issue looks like its fixed with doing whats in this post...

Where in Wine do you set that option? I'm getting very annoyed with the inaccuracy of the cursor when handling inventory, equipment or in the character/uniform screens.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have this too, but for 1.5.1. I have a macpro 10.7.5. Never had this problem before.

I found the answer to this one.
    • Launch the wineskin in the STO package and on the advanced configuration screen there is a little check box labeled "Use start.exe".
    • Check that box and you should be good to go.
    • Open the STO app/package it will appear in the Dock, close, and a few seconds later the STO Launcher window will open allowing you to log in.

Hope that helps others.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    quaigy wrote: »
    After searching more it looks like this software wont run on my mac... nevermind then.
    :)

You are incorrect sir. Your problem is Snow Leopard. It has graphics drivers that are incompatible with the current offering. Upgrade to Mountain lion and you should be just fine.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry; but for those who are still on a very old version of Mac OS (10.6.8 seems to be the popular one here) and have a Mac that can support the update to 10.8 please update! It's cheap on the App Store!

As mentioned many times here; the graphic drivers in 10.6.8 are very dated and issues are to be expected. If you are on a legacy Mac that cannot go beyond 10.6.8...you might just be SOL.

STO UMV 1.6.0 was worked wonders on my machine! Thank you for your hard work Doh!

This totally worked for me on my Mac Mini late 2009. I'm thinking about upgrading the memory too, since everything is a little on the chunky side. crucial.com is pretty well recommended and has just what I need.

thanks for the advise. I logged all the way in today, did a little Doffing, and checked aout all the new stuff. Not sure I want to get into combat until I move up to 4 Gb, though.
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cpthicks wrote: »
    Where in Wine do you set that option? I'm getting very annoyed with the inaccuracy of the cursor when handling inventory, equipment or in the character/uniform screens.

the same place as in Windows... before you hit Engage.. the button is at the top of the Window. I think i already have this set in the 1.6.0 download though... and the mouse is still a little quirky, but I've only found it to be minorly annoying.
  • Options
    jinuatajinuata Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've had a peculiar problem with a late 2012 imac, where the game performance tends to degrade over time. It starts off playing great, even with relatively high settings, but within an hour or two, framerates have dropped dramatically. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jinuata wrote: »
    I've had a peculiar problem with a late 2012 imac, where the game performance tends to degrade over time. It starts off playing great, even with relatively high settings, but within an hour or two, framerates have dropped dramatically. Any recommendations?

I've noticed the same thing... and i have to restart the game, then I get several more hours of play until it gets horrible frame rates again. Not sure whats causing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ru4tedward wrote: »
    You are incorrect sir. Your problem is Snow Leopard. It has graphics drivers that are incompatible with the current offering. Upgrade to Mountain lion and you should be just fine.

My mac is 10.6.8 and was running STO fine on 1.5.1 before LoR, i was reading around and it says x11 causes problems in LoR and that using divx9 can help? can anyone tell me how to use div9 over x11? is it as simple as putting the div9.exe in the 'Key Elements > C > Program Files' it seems to revert to x11 whatever i do, 1.5.1 ran fine with x11 btw, i've also tried to run STO using Xquartz but this didnt help me

thanks, myrddin
  • Options
    wlafrancewlafrance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would using this help the game run more smoothly than if I played through windows using parallels?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "There are three things to remember about being a starship captain:
    keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."

- Kathryn Janeway
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My mac is 10.6.8 and was running STO fine on 1.5.1 before LoR, i was reading around and it says x11 causes problems in LoR and that using divx9 can help? can anyone tell me how to use div9 over x11? is it as simple as putting the div9.exe in the 'Key Elements > C > Program Files' it seems to revert to x11 whatever i do, 1.5.1 ran fine with x11 btw, i've also tried to run STO using Xquartz but this didnt help me

thanks, myrddin
    I have no clue what you are talking about... They made graphical changes to the game that caused issues. Sure it used to work better, but now some bugs in the drivers are more apparent. what does divx have to do with anything? 1.5.1 is still using X11, and not the native windowing system. As far as the game, its all Directx9, if that is what you are talking about. DirectX 11 and X11 is not the same thing, or even related. XQuartz is X11. I think you may be talking about dx9 and dx11... which has nothing to do with anything since DX11 will not run with Wine at all right now, so its still running DX9.
    wlafrance wrote: »
    Would using this help the game run more smoothly than if I played through windows using parallels?
    maybe... depends on your machine. Theoretically games will always run better with Wineskin than with Parallels. Parallels has to emulate an entire computer system, then run a whole OS... but they have done a very good job making it run good, and it can actually run many games very well, but it often comes down to the hardware you are using.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    the same place as in Windows... before you hit Engage.. the button is at the top of the Window. I think i already have this set in the 1.6.0 download though... and the mouse is still a little quirky, but I've only found it to be minorly annoying.

I did not know this, and yes it does appear that this is already set in 1.6.0
  • Options
    photius1photius1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this game to Mac. After spending a few days installing (note:failure to understand instructions provided); the game is working very well(excluding: non-related recent server issues). As I contemplated my struggles in carrying out your proscribed set of instructions; I am even more impressed and thankful for your diligence and hard work.

I would have filed this in your Fanmail box, if I knew where to find it.
    Thank you again
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    quaigy wrote: »
    Hi I've just installed STO but cant get it to run properly.

it's version 1.5.1
    I get as far as the brightness adjustment screen and I hear music but the program freezes.

I'm running on a Macbook pro 2.2 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, Nvidia graphics card and OS 10.6.8

I disabled the GLSL but that hasn't worked. Anyone got any tips on getting this to run? Thanx
    - Craig

hi
    i had the same problem when i first started STO off in wine. i too got to the brightness adjustor and then nothing happened. you have to open the option tab IN wine. if you open STO (show package content) you'll see a wine app. open that and go to graphics. there you have to play a bit around that stuff. for doh123 sent his graphics prefix file and that fixed it for me. if you want i can do the same for you. maybe it helps.
    BTW: dont forget that the first time you load the game it has to load for about 15 mins. that was the case for me... and many times i thought the game froze. but it didnt. just loaded a long time.