test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does the server need to be reset every day?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    lol seriously, some people need to step away from the computer and take a break outside for a little bit

You have a point. Now if you'll excuse me I'm needed on Galifrey. *steps into blue police box and shuts the door behind him*
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I like maintenance. It means they try to fix stuffs.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    hamster gotta sleep.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Questions about things that matter are traditionally not addressed at all.
    It's a shame but their internal and external communication are notoriously weak. The right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand does.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dresnik wrote:
    Yeah, I understand that completely. But the sad truth is your prime time isn't the servers prime time. This problem could be solved by having seperate servers for EU and other localities. But I don't see that happening.

I still think it's a small price to pay when problems could occur by not doing so and ****ing more players off than they should during the early stages of this F2P launch. Causing some to leave and never look back.

We can only hope they can tweak their systems to make them more stable, to where we only really need maybe 1 restart a week.

the needs of the many are greater than the needs of the one?! you green blooded hob-goblin. :p

I'm GMT and while its irritating I would deal with it alot better if I knew this was going to stop at some point. Has there been any word from brandon as to a time frame for these 'emergency maintinance' dailys?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dresnik wrote:
    Yeah, I understand that completely. But the sad truth is your prime time isn't the servers prime time. This problem could be solved by having seperate servers for EU and other localities. But I don't see that happening.

I still fail to see how it's possible to have LESS players during European prime time than? US has thousands of 6AM players? Are you getting your information from Baghdad Bob?

Everyone asking people to stop complaining here should start taking a 1-3 hour break during their prime time every day as a gesture of good will. No? I thought so.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    eve shuts down everyday so i dont see what the bid deal is
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say that I'm getting tired of losing out on my gaming time because of server issues that do not seem to be getting fixed.

I'm a lifer so no matter what, I'll always have a reason to check into STO but how do you think these daily server restarts are effecting the F2P crowd.

If there's a server issue please fix it and could you please start adding some bug fixes in with these server restarts.

I'd have nothing to complain about if bugs were being squashed with these daily restarts ;)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go warm up my Hyper Drive :p
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    0Gambit0 wrote: »
    I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say that I'm getting tired of losing out on my gaming time because of server issues that do not seem to be getting fixed.

I'm a lifer so no matter what, I'll always have a reason to check into STO but how do you think these daily server restarts are effecting the F2P crowd.

If there's a server issue please fix it and could you please start adding some bug fixes in with these server restarts.

I'd have nothing to complain about if bugs were being squashed with these daily restarts ;)

STO is not the first MMO to have daily restarts, no point moaning about it
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zypher2011 wrote:
    It is a good thing!

It lasts a very short time, even 2 hours is not that bad. It happens during UK dinner time so that is a bonus.

As someone mentioend, even our computer needs a restart. A server with thousands of users and hundreds of new accounts per day needs a moments break.

Once the F2P hype slows down a touch it will probably change to every 2-3 days.

It is also a good thing that they do it around about the same time so that people get used to it.

4pm - 6pm isn't UK dinner time, it's prime time... specially at the weekends lol
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I still fail to see how it's possible to have LESS players during European prime time than? US has thousands of 6AM players? Are you getting your information from Baghdad Bob?

Everyone asking people to stop complaining here should start taking a 1-3 hour break during their prime time every day as a gesture of good will. No? I thought so.

You don't even make sense, Cryptic is going to do the restarts when it is most convenient for them and try to affect as few as possible.

And these restarts ARE IN MY "PRIME TIME" too. It's not cryptics fault I work an odd shift job. But alas, it is only human nature for people to complain. Especially when it is affecting them personally.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Eve shuts down 11am UTC I believe, not between 4pm and 6pm UTC
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    and wont be the last
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    4pm - 6pm isn't UK dinner time, it's prime time... specially at the weekends lol

what are timezones.

/thread

Also 16:00-18:00 is not Primetime it usually starts at 19:00-20:00 and latst till 23:00-24:00.

Check any other MMO (even swotor) for the combine load (of EU+US).
  • Options
    edited January 2012

And guess what game I'M NOT PLAYING. 'Because X does it' is a valid excuse now?

Dresnik wrote:
    You don't even make sense, Cryptic is going to do the restarts when it is most convenient for them and try to affect as few as possible.

Try reading comprehension. People claim Cryptic is doing the maintenances during European prime time because least players are playing at that hour.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    would you rather that they NOT fix the problems on a daily basis? I like it when people fix problems quickly.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    jockey79 wrote: »

Nothing ever changes. Stop voting. Stay quiet. Conform.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    wrote:

you know those server restarts are to make sure the servers actually stay upright with the influx of new players, right?

without it, there's massive issues
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Trek17 wrote:
    you know those server restarts are to make sure the servers actually stay upright with the influx of new players, right?

without it, there's massive issues

Right. People get less "server timed out" messages and faster ESD/DS9 loading times right after a restart... not.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Nothing ever changes. Stop voting. Stay quiet. Conform.

LOL, well now you bring it up, what has voting done for the UK.... no one voted our current gov. in, but we got them.. that was a waste of voting rights and time, I know I won't vote again :P

OMG you said "Quiet" How dare you use that "Q" word on these boards, that's a swear word on here, someone may report you :P
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Right. People get less "server timed out" messages and faster ESD/DS9 loading times right after a restart... not.
    i didn't say they actually caused less of those issues, just prevented complete crashes...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Whilst I do not mind the restarts, I don't think it's giving the best impression to the new people. I don't see this happening on CO.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

And guess what game I'M NOT PLAYING. 'Because X does it' is a valid excuse now?

Try reading comprehension. People claim Cryptic is doing the maintenances during European prime time because least players are playing at that hour.

Try typing your thoughts out more coherently and maybe comprehending your thoughts would be easier :)

It really doesn't matter when they choose the down times. Someone will always be affected. Maybe it's time for people to wake up and realize an MMO shouldn't be so important to them that their day is ruined by an hours worth of down time.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dresnik wrote:
    Try typing your thoughts out more coherently and maybe comprehending your thoughts would be easier :)

You've failed to read the dozens of posts about how Cryptic does it becaue least amount of players play at that hour?
    It really doesn't matter when they choose the down times. Someone will always be affected. Maybe it's time for people to wake up and realize an MMO shouldn't be so important to them that their day is ruined by an hours worth of down time.

OF COURSE IT MATTERS! How is it so damn hard to understand. 1 prime time maintenance + 6 various maintenances at different times is not the same as 7(!) prime time maintenances. Sheesh!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    What's the point of this topic? You are a life time member and we now understand your upset but blasting the forums with negativity is not going to get Cryptic to respond to you. I agree with everyone here these daily restarts are to prevent little problems from turning into big ones. I suggest you go in game and message a moderator and tell them about your ill feelings about things trust me they respond and take your info and discuss it with the mods and with the Dev's.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    What's the point of this topic? You are a life time member and we now understand your upset but blasting the forums with negativity is not going to get Cryptic to respond to you. I agree with everyone here these daily restarts are to prevent little problems from turning into big ones. I suggest you go in game and message a moderator and tell them about your ill feelings about things trust me they respond and take your info and discuss it with the mods and with the Dev's.

Actually it does. Last time the forums erupted because of the "only 2 FEs this year" post we got a podcasts with lots of great information about what has happened and what will happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

What other MMO's have daily restarts? I've played them all, Ultima, Everquest I & II, Aion, WoW, Rift, Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic, The Matrix, Final Fantasy 11 and 14, DC Universe, Vanguard (just to name a few) and I've never experienced daily resets of the servers. Only time they were taken down were for bug fixes, patches, and server maintenance which occured on a few servers at a time.

If STO is having that much trouble with the servers with the influx of F2P players, then they need to make an additional server. One thing for sure, space will be A LOT less crowded than it is now. Apparently these server resets aren't helping anything at all if they have to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time (isn't that the definition of insanity?)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    0Gambit0 wrote: »

I think they are effecting the crowed how they are meant to effect the crowed, by ensuring the game is maintained and playable for the other 23 hours of the day!

Get a grip
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    LOL, well now you bring it up, what has voting done for the UK.... no one voted our current gov. in, but we got them.. that was a waste of voting rights and time, I know I won't vote again :P

OMG you said "Quiet" How dare you use that "Q" word on these boards, that's a swear word on here, someone may report you :P

We may not have unilateraly voted the Conservatives into power, but they did have more votes than the Liberal Democrats and Labour. If you don't vote again, then you can't complain about the outcome :)

Back on topic - I agree that these server restarts and the constant downtime is rediculous. Cryptic has had a long, long time to prepare for the F2P transition, and these problems should have been anticipated. I appreciate that the restarts are done to avoid a longer downtime, but my point is, the problems that lead to the restarts shouldn't exist in the first place.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    rinks361 wrote: »
    What other MMO's have daily restarts? I've played them all, Ultima, Everquest I & II, Aion, WoW, Rift, Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic, The Matrix, Final Fantasy 11 and 14, DC Universe, Vanguard (just to name a few) and I've never experienced daily resets of the servers. Only time they were taken down were for bug fixes, patches, and server maintenance which occured on a few servers at a time.

If STO is having that much trouble with the servers with the influx of F2P players, then they need to make an additional server. One thing for sure, space will be A LOT less crowded than it is now. Apparently these server resets aren't helping anything at all if they have to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time (isn't that the definition of insanity?)

That is not true at all.

Did all of those games have an F2P launch every week? No, exactly. STO is currently in a new state, a state that will change over time but a state that you cannot compare to other games unless they are currently going through the same thing.

Get a grip
This discussion has been closed.