Options

So, I dropped WoW for STO, here's what I think of it

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Solomace wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding me right? Your saying WoW is one of the worst MMos in history on a STO forum :confused: Your post makes you sound like your a WoW poster and player tbh;)

Never played WoW really (looked at it for 2 days on someone else's account to see what all the hype about it was...now that was truely a waste of time).

Because it has millions of more subscribers, your going to get a larger flavor of all types playing and posting.

But look more closely on who those millions are...

I normally like your posts, but your insulting many people myself included, by calling them stupid masses and that people from WoW cannot understand the true basics of MMos? What does that statement even mean?

Did I target you? Nope. If you felt like I was, my bad, but like I just said in the line above, look at the majority now a days then.

I have played MMos since U/O and have loved and hated loads, but WoW is still up there as one of the most "fun" MMos I have played. I still think EQ is my favourite, but 5 years of playing WoW and thoroughly enjoyed it, means it still gives me fond memories.

I left it over a year ago and have no plans to go back as I got bored of it, but I still acknowledge it as a superior MMo.

So tell me, what is a true MMo? STO?
    Pretty much almost any MMO other than WoW and most F2P ones are true or close enough to true MMO's imo. WoW has 0 originality, taking aspects from literally anything. The dumbing down of that game to aim towards even younger masses probably hasn't helped either. The few people I knew from back in highschool (man I miss those days) who actaully played WoW left because of the obvious conversion to the simplistic and unoriginality.
    Shesh.

Thoughts in red.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thoughts in red.

Okay, I understand what you are saying but disagree with you in that Vanila WoW was actually a different beast to the WoW we have now. Levelling was harder, there were a lot of elite mobs (Baghera being made a normal mob still miffs me) and I still remember the tortuous but fun knaked death run from Darnassus - Ironforge.

Some of the quests especially the ones that needed 2 or 3 players, really meant you needed 2 of 3 players.

40 man dungeons and actual world PVP (southshore VS Mill) added a spice to the game, especially when you went to Ganklethorpe.

I left WoW as it did become too easy and they did start to dumb things down. Cata was the final straw for me when not quest I did, needed more than 1 player and I knew WoW was being changed for a new breed of MMoers, the casuals.

Not a problem. Time to move on. 5 years of fun, but I am sorry, I think with you playing for only 2 days and not sure when you did, you are doing the game an injustice. Disliking a game is one thing, but to say it's the worse ever when reviews and the amount of players who play and have played say different, means your arguement is shakey m8.

Now the Matrix on line, well that's a different story all together ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hyperbole like "lack of true content for 1 year" only weakens your rhetoric. It's not factually true.

They didn't put out any new missions save for a borg invasion for an entire year. That's not misinformation. That's a legitimate gripe and complaint. One that is still valid as the team can't put out more than 1 FE that's been in development for that year, and possibly a second FE later in this year.

They can't make more than 10 new missions in an entire year.

The weakness is theirs.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    What I find irritating about the STO community is, that if you point out an error in the game in which you can prove with 100% certainty is true, that instead of accepting it, they will flame you and call you a moron and deny that the game has flaws.

Happened to me earlier today.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    aestu wrote:

The biggest problems STO has are:
    1. Lack of documentation

The first issue is really a community problem. Most game communities create their own guides and documentation. The STO Wikia - frankly, it's garbage, with a ton of broken links and outdated information. This forum has about three times as many subforums as it needs to. And, most importantly, those players who understand the mechanics of this game haven't bothered to sit down and share their knowledge.

So it is the fault of customers who have not voluntarily devoted more of their personal time for free to creating more documentation for you to read?

Maybe you can sign up and update what you do not like yourself on your own time, for free, amirite?

aestu wrote:

Then again there's no excuse for Cryzoic to not have a few interns tabulate the game mechanics in an easy-to-read form, as if interns are expensive or hard to come by these days.

STO has a manual.. The link does not work at the moment, but it was available online for a long time:

http://www.startrekonline.com/manual

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=55741 - When it went online from beta
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=207049 - Official update to the manual announcement
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=248528 - Wondering about update and inquiring why the link to the manual no longer works

So, perhaps it is being updated:
  • Options
    edited February 2012

For the rest of the post, like I said, you just came from WoW, one of the worst MMO's in history (if it didn't draw in the masses of stupidity it'd be dead by now). It forever tainted the MMO world and made it almost impossible for its refugees to understand the basics of True MMO's.

Lol I love clowns that spout this TRIBBLE all the time, clearly WoW is a good game, just because you dont like it does not mean its a bad game. And "mass stupidity"..... So your calling people who play WoW stupid? Your an idiot.

I used to play WoW, I dont anymore because I got bored of it but that does not make it a bad game.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Asakara wrote:
    So it is the fault of customers who have not voluntarily devoted more of their personal time for free to creating more documentation for you to read?

Maybe you can sign up and update what you do not like yourself on your own time, for free, amirite?

Most fanbases, and not just for games, voluntarily create resources for the franchise they have chosen to devote themselves to. They do this because they enjoy the material, they enjoy talking about it, they enjoy sharing it. There are quite a few people, myself included, who don't mind updating community resources "on our own time, for free".

Creating Wikis and such isn't for everyone. And it doesn't need to be. Nor is it a question of "fault". It's simply a fact that most games and franchises have such resources and STO is the worse off that it is wanting in this respect. I don't pretend to understand why, but it is so.

Perhaps the "fault" lays with the opacity of the game itself - how difficult it is to get objective information on how it actually works.
    Asakara wrote:
    STO has a manual.. The link does not work at the moment, but it was available online for a long time

Well, then it doesn't have one, does it? =)
    TE5LA wrote: »
    What I find irritating about the STO community is, that if you point out an error in the game in which you can prove with 100% certainty is true, that instead of accepting it, they will flame you and call you a moron and deny that the game has flaws.

This is true of most game franchises these days. The motivations for doing so are diverse and difficult to differentiate.

A surprising number of people feel compelled to champion perceived authority because of a need for a sense of affiliation. Other people have difficulty recognizing how dear a narrow franchise is to them and deny its faults because they are unable to overcome their discomfort with its inherently transitory nature.

Some are sock puppets of management, often not even working in the PR department but devs compelled to be a "team player". (This sort of nonsense is again why the field is so dysfunctional and it is the sycophants and not real talent that drive the decision-making processes in the MMO industry, and even American industry in general).

Still more are, of course, simple trolls, or small-minded people who are instinctively fearful of any discussion above their level.

Part of why I find online gaming so fascinating is the human element. I can definitely say I'm a better person for having studied it in depth. It is very educational about the human character in general.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    superchum wrote: »
    It's not the worst MMO in history. XN is simply blocking from memory games like Hellgate London and Tabula Rasa.

;)

The worst MMO in history is currently in development. Now, I'm not gonna spoil the surprise for you with too many details, but I'll give you a hint:

Twilight Online.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As suggested by my avatar, I play both games.

I like WoW for its gameplay, epic bosses and its world which is absolutely beautiful if you spend time looking around you.

And if I like STO, it's because it is something different. I realized this even more when testing swtor.
    My only complaints about STO are maps (you know, little space objects, cathedral sized interiors, buildings which are only objetcs, ...) and bugs (I am counting non fonctionnal mechanisms like bortas cloak :D).

But now that STO is f2p, I spend most of my playtime in this game.
    Kerrat is so damn fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    aestu wrote:
    Most fanbases, and not just for games, voluntarily create resources for the franchise they have chosen to devote themselves to. They do this because they enjoy the material, they enjoy talking about it, they enjoy sharing it. There are quite a few people, myself included, who don't mind updating community resources "on our own time, for free".

Creating Wikis and such isn't for everyone. And it doesn't need to be. Nor is it a question of "fault". It's simply a fact that most games and franchises have such resources and STO is the worse off that it is wanting in this respect. I don't pretend to understand why, but it is so.

Perhaps the "fault" lays with the opacity of the game itself - how difficult it is to get objective information on how it actually works.

It's a fallacious argument to suggest that because something happens in another gaming community then it automatically mus happen in all. Just because you expect it is no reason for it to be so.

Besides. I think you were pointed on numerous occasions to http://www.stowiki.org/Main_Page

Personally I think the game does not really require an in depth wiki. It's quite a simple and naive game on the whole. Perhaps that's why people don't devote hours of their time to writing about things which ought to be clearly understood? I bought the game years ago and have never read one word of the manual. Then or since.

a dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    aestu wrote:

I still dont see what's wrong with STO Wiki. I just releveled an alt since f2p, and while some of it was based on pre-season 5, it generally seems up to date now... perhaps if you could clarify what's missing, we, as a community, can work to correct that :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    For the rest of the post, like I said, you just came from WoW, one of the worst MMO's in history (if it didn't draw in the masses of stupidity it'd be dead by now). It forever tainted the MMO world and made it almost impossible for its refugees to understand the basics of True MMO's.

If you were a woman I'd go buy a ring right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Someone coming from WOW saying that STO's ground graphics are bad... Umm..ok... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    .. umm "graphics are horrid"?? are you serious? ... compared to WoW? :eek:

With the limited time I tried wow, I have to say STO is dramatically better. I found Wow to be a world of children's colour art and jagged low poly's sorry. I have played lots of different MMO's, and I rate STO as one of the very best IMO.

Who is Cryzoic?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    aestu wrote:
    STO's terrestial graphics are horrid, which are why I like them. They remind me of Star Ocean 2 and a lot of other super-deformed 16/32 bit games.

Don't confuse bad graphics with bad art direction. STO's graphics engine is arguably among the most advanced MMO graphics engines out there.

I know WoW had a big graphics update with Cataclysm, but as I don't play I don't know the specifics. Still, I'd say even with WoW Cataclysm in mind, STO's graphics engine is still comparable if not superior to WoW's graphics engine.

Blizzard did an excellent job with WoW's art direction, using it to effectively mask the limitations of their graphics engine. Looking at their body of work, it's clear they have always been masters of art direction.

Cryptic, OTOH has repeatedly demonstrated pretty poor art direction. Take for example the signage in ESD. Their early ship designs were pretty bland too. Sometimes they hit the mark, look at First City for example. But a lot of the time their designs don't confer the feeling of "Trek", and it's not the game engine to blame.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Stormnnorm wrote:
    Don't confuse bad graphics with bad art direction. STO's graphics engine is arguably among the most advanced MMO graphics engines out there.

....snip

True. I'd ask the OP to check out some of the Featured Episode's, like Mine Enemy or Coliseum which has some amazing amazing ground environments. It really showcases what can be achieved. I cant wait what we get with the next FE :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to STO.