Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    clingingmarsclingingmars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lukachieti wrote: »
    I used the download from file planet for the base game. No problems.

Thanks! downloading now

anyone with heat issues should also look into getting a physical fan that sits underneath your laptop
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So after patching today STO won't start, even after a restart.

Actually never mind, I thought I'd restarted but I hadn't.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    after dling from fileplant I'm trying to expand the zip but keep getting "Unable to expand into "Downloads". (Error 2 - No such file or directory.). Attempts with Stuffit Expander claims my file is corrupt. Do I simply need to DL it again, or am I missing something?

Edit: despite DL issues I have managed to install the game. Very excited. How much success have my fellow OS X 10.7 users have?
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This Arc thing, will this be a problem for us?
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This Arc thing, will this be a problem for us?

need to test to see if it works... it may not be a problem, or it may completely kill this working at all.
  • Options
    leeroyfiredogleeroyfiredog Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just reporting that I am running current Mavericks OSX and the 1.6 experimental Wine Wrapper on a MBP Summer 2012 model with Retina Screen and it works and looks amazing. I am running at full 2880x1800 resolution with full graphics. It's noisy on the fans, but it works great.
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    didnt they say we were getting an official Mac version this year? 7/12th of the way through and still no word.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It seems that Nimbus III is not very kind to Wineskin folks. Can't even load the map before it crashes.

Is there any way to force STO to load me somewhere else upon login?
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its been stated that a mac version is coming in the end of this year. Lets cross our fingers.

Also, I have had some serious loading problems.. Going to ESD, New Romulus and so on is taking forever. i waited over 30 min just change map.

Will the new wrapper (1.6) work on Mac OS 10.7.5?
  • Options
    thadriusthadrius Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Okay, someone walk me through this TRIBBLE. I'm getting so frustrated i can barely stand myself.

I downloaded both versions of the file after getting WineSkin.
    When I followed the directions in the .zip file it says to "chose setup executable"
    Now here's where I have my frustrations and problems.....WHERE THE FRACK IS THE EXECUTABLE?!?!?!?! I've searched everywhere on my comp and can't find it anywhere!!! I've been looking for the past hour and can't find it anywhere, I'm about ready to give up. I'm not used to a Mac so I'm proably just a moron and don't know what I'm doing.

Please help?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Its been stated that a mac version is coming in the end of this year. Lets cross our fingers.

Also, I have had some serious loading problems.. Going to ESD, New Romulus and so on is taking forever. i waited over 30 min just change map.

Will the new wrapper (1.6) work on Mac OS 10.7.5?

I hope they make a native Mac version... even if its Cider/Wine based I don't care... but something supported would be great.

I've never seen it take that long to change a map... no idea whats going on there.

OS X 10.8 has the best video drivers with the least issues, but technically it *should* run on 10.7.5 ok.

thadrius wrote: »
    Okay, someone walk me through this TRIBBLE. I'm getting so frustrated i can barely stand myself.

I downloaded both versions of the file after getting WineSkin.
    When I followed the directions in the .zip file it says to "chose setup executable"
    Now here's where I have my frustrations and problems.....WHERE THE FRACK IS THE EXECUTABLE?!?!?!?! I've searched everywhere on my comp and can't find it anywhere!!! I've been looking for the past hour and can't find it anywhere, I'm about ready to give up. I'm not used to a Mac so I'm proably just a moron and don't know what I'm doing.

Please help?
    The setup executable for STO is called setup.exe and is in the directory with all the STO install files. Where it is? I do not know, it depends where you downloaded the actual STO game from. This is a wrapper that runs the Windows version of the game, but there is no game actually inside of it... you have to install the game inside. You need to get the full game download, not the 1 single .exe file download that is just a downloader program... that one will not work. You need the huge download from torrent or other sites.

I asked a few times in the past to let them allow me to include the game in the app already and just distribute it that way, but they could not give me permission to for legal distribution reasons. If i did so, i doubt anyone would say anything since its not modifying the Windows version any... If they have a Mac version out in the next few months like some people have said, maybe it'll be easier in the future.
  • Options
    roshidoroshido Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I am currently now running OS X 10.8.4 with the game fully patched, and I get stuck on the "Legacy of Romulus" screen. Any ideas? I normally play on my other machine, but it is having issues lately.

EDIT: Okay, finally got in, just took a while. Is this normal? Anyway though, thanks for all the work getting the mac to run STO
  • Options
    iantimmy123iantimmy123 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have installed STO on my Mac using the files at the beginning of the thread and an STO version from Fileplanet as I couldn't get Arc to install. It's all downloaded and the updates have installed but it is just getting stuck on the loading screen after I've logged in. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    roshido wrote: »
    So I am currently now running OS X 10.8.4 with the game fully patched, and I get stuck on the "Legacy of Romulus" screen. Any ideas? I normally play on my other machine, but it is having issues lately.

EDIT: Okay, finally got in, just took a while. Is this normal? Anyway though, thanks for all the work getting the mac to run STO
    I have installed STO on my Mac using the files at the beginning of the thread and an STO version from Fileplanet as I couldn't get Arc to install. It's all downloaded and the updates have installed but it is just getting stuck on the loading screen after I've logged in. Any ideas?
    yes... anytime after a patch, it can be extremely slow on the loading screen... depending on your machine speed it can take 5 to 15 minutes to actually load in. Sometimes so long the session times out and you have to give STO your credentials again. This should only happen after a patch, not on every load. I wish i could do something about it...
  • Options
    drmacintosh01drmacintosh01 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    when ever i open up the app it loads fine i log in i wait for it to check for patches then when it is finished i hit Engage and noting happens just a little dotted rectangle forms aroung the Engage button. Any suggestions? OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4.
    CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport  DDR3 | GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 500GB WD Blue &2TB WD Green HDDs| PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1920x1080p @60Hz, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1920x1080p @60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1280x1024 @60Hz | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech G303 | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50X&M-Audio Bass Traveler AMP | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB 
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Any idea why I get the cryptic crash screen about a 3rd of a time when moving maps? It just dies with no warning or lag or anything. This happens on both my imac (2013) and my macbook pro (2012). It seems to be a recent thing. it doesnt crash going into STF or anything, just when moving sectors.
  • Options
    jinuatajinuata Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    joenatl wrote: »
    Any idea why I get the cryptic crash screen about a 3rd of a time when moving maps? It just dies with no warning or lag or anything. This happens on both my imac (2013) and my macbook pro (2012). It seems to be a recent thing. it doesnt crash going into STF or anything, just when moving sectors.

I experience the same thing. I suspect it's partially related to duty officers, especially if you talk to your department heads. Aside from that, I've got nothing.
  • Options
    karlospopperkarlospopper Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    is there a way to reinstall the whole thing without going through a lengthy patching time?

I keep having errors. I get to play for a few days. But after some time it crashes. Then the launcher doesn't pop up at all. So I deleted the whole thing, reinstalled all the files. And now I'm going through patching up the game. Is there a way to circumvent that?

thanks!
  • Options
    trekkier1701trekkier1701 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    when ever i open up the app it loads fine i log in i wait for it to check for patches then when it is finished i hit Engage and noting happens just a little dotted rectangle forms aroung the Engage button. Any suggestions? OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4.

Im having the same issue, but OSX 10.7.5... any suggestions?
  • Options
    burningham01burningham01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So, after using the setup.exe, the wrapper is fine. However, whenever I try to play the game, I get this:
    2qb67wo.jpg
    Currently running a macbook pro, 10.6.8
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guys I really need help ...
    Im using the latest OSx ... been playing the game for some time now.
    I logged out. Then logged in a few hours later and the game stops working.
    The launcher isn't launching.
    The icon appears on my Dock but its not doing anything.
    This happened before. And what I did was reinstall the whole thing.
    And it happened several times and reinstalled several times.
    And 10 hours waiting is no joke.
    need help ... whats wrong?
    SHould I reinstall? Or is there a solution around this?
    Where I could reinstall and not wait for 10 hours to patch the game?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guys I really need help ...
    Im using the latest OSx ... been playing the game for some time now.
    I logged out. Then logged in a few hours later and the game stops working.
    The launcher isn't launching.
    The icon appears on my Dock but its not doing anything.
    This happened before. And what I did was reinstall the whole thing.
    And it happened several times and reinstalled several times.
    And 10 hours waiting is no joke.
    need help ... whats wrong?
    SHould I reinstall? Or is there a solution around this?
    Where I could reinstall and not wait for 10 hours to patch the game?

no real clue why that would happen... but did you try just copying the game files from the old wrapper into a fresh copy of the wrapper? If you do that and it works... no game patching required, and we know something is getting corrupted in the wrapper itself. If you do that and it doesn't work... then the game files themselves are what is getting messed up, and not the wrapper... if thats the case, I am not sure how you'd get them fixed without a full re-patch.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    how would i go about it?
    and how would i know which game files to copy?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    how would i go about it?
    and how would i know which game files to copy?

its in the directions... on how to upgrade the wrapper.

All of the game files are in a single folder... Cryptic Studios... just move the folder from one wrapper to the other in the same spot... done.
  • Options
    orionsrockorionsrock Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2013
    That happened to me just now. the game crashed while I was making an outfit so I just hit the icon and it bounced only one time and the screen settings changed as if it was going to open then......nothing. and I'm in a total panic. Idk whats wrong or what to do and I don't understand computer stuff really well
  • Options
    orionsrockorionsrock Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2013
    orionsrock wrote: »
    That happened to me just now. the game crashed while I was making an outfit so I just hit the icon and it bounced only one time and the screen settings changed as if it was going to open then......nothing. and I'm in a total panic. Idk whats wrong or what to do and I don't understand computer stuff really well

Now im getting a file is locked and not available for patching ???????? I feel ill
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    orionsrock wrote: »
    Now im getting a file is locked and not available for patching ???????? I feel ill

I'm not familiar with that message... sounds like a STO message complaining about something so that it cannot start the launcher to log in? Not sure what would cause that... but my first thing to do would be to reboot the computer and see what happens.... second move the game files into a new fresh copy of the wrapper... if its still not working and you cannot get past the log in screen, you may have corrupted game files you'll need to re-install. Usually you can trash everything inside the Cryptic Studios folder except Star Trek Online.exe, and it will run and download everything for you again (which takes a long time). You could also try guessing at what files are damaged... or if it tells you what files are locked, and (if they are in the Cryptic Studios Folder) just trash that file and see if the patcher can fix it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    its in the directions... on how to upgrade the wrapper.

All of the game files are in a single folder... Cryptic Studios... just move the folder from one wrapper to the other in the same spot... done.

yeah, this worwed for me! :P:P
  • Options
    technocube0technocube0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am using wineskin and this unofficial mac version. I am able to launch the launcher, I am able to log in, it is able to patch, but when I click "engage" the window either disappears and nothing happens or it freezes and nothing happens, pleas advise! I also checked the specifications, they are all compatible. HELP!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    technocube0technocube0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    please respond!!!!!