What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Wine-staging 2.1 finally introduced the CSMT patches for DX11 and in Wine-staging 2.2 they made several performance related updates to that patch-set. I've been running STO in DX11 mode with no problems since 2.1 although I haven't enabled Lightning 2.0. Performance wise I don't notice much difference compared to earlier WIne-staging versions in DX9 mode.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    kurzoffkurzoff Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    yeah well i cant believe that, since i have tried for a while now and screwed around with wine on my mac on a daily basis to get it runnin on a mac, in DX11, pic or it did not happen, im sure you talk about wine on linux and not mac. so dont confuse ppl
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Wine-staging 2.1 finally introduced the CSMT patches for DX11 and in Wine-staging 2.2 they made several performance related updates to that patch-set. I've been running STO in DX11 mode with no problems since 2.1 although I haven't enabled Lightning 2.0. Performance wise I don't notice much difference compared to earlier WIne-staging versions in DX9 mode.

do we need a signature? why?
  • Options
    Wine is used for the emulation layer on Mac. Yes, I'm using Linux so if you can't get it running on Mac then there's something external to WIne that prohibits it. Also remember that Wine and Wine-staging are different distributions. I have not tested vanilla Wine.
    ---
  • Options
    collossustitancollossustitan Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Wine is used for the emulation layer on Mac. Yes, I'm using Linux so if you can't get it running on Mac then there's something external to WIne that prohibits it. Also remember that Wine and Wine-staging are different distributions. I have not tested vanilla Wine.

This is a Mac thread not Linux.

• Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2017

I don't think it's a problem about "works on linux, doesn't work on Mac". I use linux, tried 2.1-staging, with and without CSMT activated. It still shows the message about old card (using intel 530 here, supports DX11). Works, but in DX9 mode. No way to get the option to swtich to DX11 on Display menu. Surely the same happens on Mac.

To Trekpuppy:
    Maybe it's mostly a configuration thing? How are your wine settings, on configure? Do you get the message on Engage or do you bypass it? Maybe that info is useful for both, Linux and Mac users.

• Options
    lol, so it does not show you on linux that it is definetely in DX11 mode started? i mean the game, the in game options dont tell you its dx11? well good luck then, i dont hink it will work after the update

samargatha wrote: »

I don't think it's a problem about "works on linux, doesn't work on Mac". I use linux, tried 2.1-staging, with and without CSMT activated. It still shows the message about old card (using intel 530 here, supports DX11). Works, but in DX9 mode. No way to get the option to swtich to DX11 on Display menu. Surely the same happens on Mac.

To Trekpuppy:
    Maybe it's mostly a configuration thing? How are your wine settings, on configure? Do you get the message on Engage or do you bypass it? Maybe that info is useful for both, Linux and Mac users.

• Options
    kurzoff wrote: »
    lol, so it does not show you on linux that it is definetely in DX11 mode started? i mean the game, the in game options dont tell you its dx11? well good luck then, i dont hink it will work after the update

Yuh, that's the problem. It doesn't show DX11. So probably it's not going to work tomorrow. And not until wine people makes some update or something. I (and we) can't expect any help from Cryptic about this.
  • Options
    only one reason i bother with this game, its "star trek" if it was not , i am sure nobody else would bother with this game, and surely cryptic will loose alot of ppl playing this game after the update, if they dont allow ppl to fallback to dx9
  • Options
    mckurland91mckurland91 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    only one reason i bother with this game, its "star trek" if it was not , i am sure nobody else would bother with this game, and surely cryptic will loose alot of ppl playing this game after the update, if they dont allow ppl to fallback to dx9
    "The Needs of the Many outweigh the Needs of the Few, or the One." If Cryptic can't, or won't make this game accessible to everyone, then they must surrender the game to someone who can and will. "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!"
  • Options
    To Trekpuppy:

The warning message disappears as soon as you switch to DX11 in the game settings. It's stored in your Gameprefs.pref file as:
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

It appears the Launcher only looks for the presence of that entry. If the option for DX11 is missing in your settings menu and you're 100% sure your hardware supports it, then it's the drivers and middleware in your OS that doesn't support and expose this feature to Wine regardless of whether it's MacOS, Linux, BSD or any other platform that runs Wine. The Wine code is the same on all platforms but can only use the features your OS provides to it.

The only setting I change in Wine is to enable the CSMT patchset on the Staging tab in winecfg. Other than that it's just a default installation of wine-staging. Personally I don't actually notice any difference running with the CSMT patchset enabled or not. The other Direct3D patches that comes with the staging version are the ones that make STO's performance in Wine acceptable. Those patches weren't ported to DX11 until wine-staging 2.1 and then they went through some performance optimization in wine-staging 2.2.

---
  • Options
    i wonder if you are still able to start the client and play today, after the update/patch

To Trekpuppy:

The warning message disappears as soon as you switch to DX11 in the game settings. It's stored in your Gameprefs.pref file as:

It appears the Launcher only looks for the presence of that entry. If the option for DX11 is missing in your settings menu and you're 100% sure your hardware supports it, then it's the drivers and middleware in your OS that doesn't support and expose this feature to Wine regardless of whether it's MacOS, Linux, BSD or any other platform that runs Wine. The Wine code is the same on all platforms but can only use the features your OS provides to it.

The only setting I change in Wine is to enable the CSMT patchset on the Staging tab in winecfg. Other than that it's just a default installation of wine-staging. Personally I don't actually notice any difference running with the CSMT patchset enabled or not. The other Direct3D patches that comes with the staging version are the ones that make STO's performance in Wine acceptable. Those patches weren't ported to DX11 until wine-staging 2.1 and then they went through some performance optimization in wine-staging 2.2.

• Options
    i wonder if you are still able to start the client and play today, after the update/patch

Since another user here has deep problems with me sharing my Wine-experience here, let me just clarify again that I run Wine on Linux.

The answer to your question is yes - I can still run STO on Wine after today's patch. But remember, Wine is not an isolated emulator that works independently. It relies on your OS exposing your hardware functionality properly. On Linux the middleware for this is called Mesa. A quick googling reveals that this middleware is called Metal on Mac. Reading on several Mac forums I get the impression that Apple haven't updated Metal for PC for years and that it doesn't expose any Direct3D 11 functionality even if your hardware supports it. You need to look to Apple for a solution to this.
    ---
  • Options
    To Trekpuppy:

Tried that and didn't work. So it must be Mesa on my side. Ty for the info anyway. We'll make it work, with time.

• Options
    Tried that and didn't work. So it must be Mesa on my side. Ty for the info anyway. We'll make it work, with time.

After the patch you no longer have the option to select Direct3D version in the GUI. The game seems to forcefully select DX11 for you now. What system are you running? Linux or Mac? If you're on Linux I doubt Mesa is the problem since it has had support for very long. The latest version is 17 and I'm running with version 12. Graphics drivers might be a problem. Nvidia and AMD have proprietary drivers (nvidia-drivers and fglrx) as well as open source drivers (noveau and radeon). I would suggest using the proprietary drives since the OpenGL implementation isn't complete for the open source versions. Intel only have open source drivers in Linux and afaik they should be pretty complete although I'm unable to find information right now on whether they have actually implemented the necessary support to make Wine work with Direct3D 11 or not. I assume you're running at least version 2.1 of wine-staging as your emulator? What exactly is happening when you try to start?
    ---
  • Options

After the patch you no longer have the option to select Direct3D version in the GUI. The game seems to forcefully select DX11 for you now. What system are you running? Linux or Mac? If you're on Linux I doubt Mesa is the problem since it has had support for very long. The latest version is 17 and I'm running with version 12. Graphics drivers might be a problem. Nvidia and AMD have proprietary drivers (nvidia-drivers and fglrx) as well as open source drivers (noveau and radeon). I would suggest using the proprietary drives since the OpenGL implementation isn't complete for the open source versions. Intel only have open source drivers in Linux and afaik they should be pretty complete although I'm unable to find information right now on whether they have actually implemented the necessary support to make Wine work with Direct3D 11 or not. I assume you're running at least version 2.1 of wine-staging as your emulator? What exactly is happening when you try to start?

Linux. Intel drivers. Wine 2.1-staging. If I try to start, I get the message that my videocard is not supported.
  • Options
    Linux. Intel drivers. Wine 2.1-staging. If I try to start, I get the message that my videocard is not supported.
    I assume this error is from the launcher and that it doesn't allow you to continue? Do you remember if you had the option to switch to Direct3D 11 before the patch?

You can try to start the game directly from a command prompt and bypass the launcher. You need to find the path to where your GameClient.exe has been installed.

1) Open a command prompt/terminal emulator.
    2) Switch to the folder containing GameClient.exe.
    cd "/path/to/the/folder/ending-with-Live"
    Example: cd "/home/kirk/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live"

3) Now enter the command to execute the game but you also need to tell Wine the part of the path containing the folder drive_c. You enter this part in the WINEPREFIX parameter.
    WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/path/to/folder/containing-drive_c" wine GameClient.exe -server 208.95.186.11
    Example: WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/home/kirk/.wine" wine GameClient.exe -server 208.95.186.11

The game may simply crash which would point to lack of support in the Intel drivers. If the game starts it would point to some trivial bug in the launcher.

---
  • Options
    I assume this error is from the launcher and that it doesn't allow you to continue? Do you remember if you had the option to switch to Direct3D 11 before the patch?

Happens the same if I run Gameclient directly. Same error window. Unsupported Video Card. So I guess the launcher just calls the gameclient anyway, and no, I didn't have DX11 enabled before the patch cause the options didn't show.
    You can try to start the game directly from a command prompt and bypass the launcher. You need to find the path to where your GameClient.exe has been installed.

The game may simply crash which would point to lack of support in the Intel drivers. If the game starts it would point to some trivial bug in the launcher.

As I said, error window complaining about video card.
    I also edited the Gameprefs as suggested on another threat (tho I had it already edited for that purpose, except maybe one detail) and no result.

• Options
    see last entry https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general?t=27;msg=188503

"The bottom line is that currently some Direct3D 11 applications will work on Linux, but generally not on MacOS.

With Apple's current focus on Metal they seem to have abandoned support for modern OpenGL features, and CrossOver/Wine requires those in order to support modern Direct3D. Some people may remember Blizzard running into a similar situation with Overwatch. We're investigating options for integrating Metal support, but there are some disadvantages inherent to using a proprietary API on a proprietary OS."
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    As I said, error window complaining about video card.
    I also edited the Gameprefs as suggested on another threat (tho I had it already edited for that purpose, except maybe one detail) and no result.

After spending most of the day experimenting with an Intel based Linux laptop I eventually made STO run on its integrated HD Graphics 4000. Despite upgrading both kernel (4.6.9), Mesa (17) and xf86-video-intel (20170216) I noticed Mesa still reporting an old version of OpenGL despite supporting versions as high as 4.5. I realized eventually that not the complete feature sets were implemented in Mesa and that the version reported can be overridden if you are running a program that isn't using the missing features. Adding to my command earlier in the thread, try this @samargatha, and yes - you can now use the Launcher again:
    Example: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/home/kirk/.wine" wine /home/kirk/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Games/Cryptic\ Studios/Star\ Trek\ Online.exe

I had to disable postprocessing and I never tried lightning 2.0 but other than that the game started. Don't expect it to be completely problem free though. It's not unlikely that some maps will use a missing OpenGL feature but at least Linux users with Intel HD Graphics won't be completely locked out of the game. I did not try to downgrade my Mesa again but checking the release notes I'd expect this to work down to version 12 of Mesa and maybe older.

Uujd6um.png
    ---
  • Options
    After spending most of the day experimenting with an Intel based Linux laptop I eventually made STO run on its integrated HD Graphics 4000. Despite upgrading both kernel (4.6.9), Mesa (17) and xf86-video-intel (20170216) I noticed Mesa still reporting an old version of OpenGL despite supporting versions as high as 4.5. I realized eventually that not the complete feature sets were implemented in Mesa and that the version reported can be overridden if you are running a program that isn't using the missing features. Adding to my command earlier in the thread, try this @samargatha, and yes - you can now use the Launcher again:
    Example: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/home/kirk/.wine" wine /home/kirk/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Games/Cryptic\ Studios/Star\ Trek\ Online.exe

I had to disable postprocessing and I never tried lightning 2.0 but other than that the game started. Don't expect it to be completely problem free though. It's not unlikely that some maps will use a missing OpenGL feature but at least Linux users with Intel HD Graphics won't be completely locked out of the game. I did not try to downgrade my Mesa again but checking the release notes I'd expect this to work down to version 12 of Mesa and maybe older.

Ty a lot for the tips! I'll totally try later. I never used postprocessing and I don't need any unuseful lightning stuff, so if it works I'll be ok :)
    Maybe we should create a linux threat for this to don't off-topic-spam the Mac threat, or maybe this kind of tricks can be useful for them too?

• Options
    ... or maybe this kind of tricks can be useful for them too?
    I had the same thought. I'm no expert in MacOS and Metal, but if that software can be manipulated to report a different OpenGL version and doesn't lack any vital features used by STO, I suspect it would work for our Mac users too. At least it's something for the more technically interested Mac users to dig deeper into.

---
  • Options
    edited March 2017

With that I managed to avoid the Unsupported card message finally. Too bad, I got a crash report inmediately after pressing Engage, but I think we're getting something :)

A bit later, tried 2.2-staging. I got the message that ask you about start with minimal graphic setting or with default ones. Then crash. Getting close!
  • Options
    ---