What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    myrddinwooding23myrddinwooding23 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have no clue what you are talking about... They made graphical changes to the game that caused issues. Sure it used to work better, but now some bugs in the drivers are more apparent. what does divx have to do with anything? 1.5.1 is still using X11, and not the native windowing system. As far as the game, its all Directx9, if that is what you are talking about. DirectX 11 and X11 is not the same thing, or even related. XQuartz is X11. I think you may be talking about dx9 and dx11... which has nothing to do with anything since DX11 will not run with Wine at all right now, so its still running DX9.

maybe... depends on your machine. Theoretically games will always run better with Wineskin than with Parallels. Parallels has to emulate an entire computer system, then run a whole OS... but they have done a very good job making it run good, and it can actually run many games very well, but it often comes down to the hardware you are using.

Thanks doh123 for clearing up some confusing things for me! :) asches1 was giving advice and said you sent him your graphics prefix file? if i could get a copy it would be most helpful if it helped his 10.6.8 mac to run the graphics properly, i wouldnt know where to install it within wine i guess myrddinwooding@googlemail.com if you could send it doh123 i'd be most grateful!

thanks again, myrddin
  • Options
    myrddinwooding23myrddinwooding23 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys heres a list of wineskin commands that might help some people having trouble with graphics if they wanna try a few things, particularly 'UseGLSL'

myrddin
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks doh123 for clearing up some confusing things for me! :) asches1 was giving advice and said you sent him your graphics prefix file? if i could get a copy it would be most helpful if it helped his 10.6.8 mac to run the graphics properly, i wouldnt know where to install it within wine i guess myrddinwooding@googlemail.com if you could send it doh123 i'd be most grateful!

thanks again, myrddin

Booting in Safe mode then setting your preferences is better... What I gave away earlier was just a copy of my preferences files... basically a way to change in the in-game settings from outside the game.
    These are the ones i gave away earlier.. but they are very old.. not sure if they even work with the current game. This really shouldn't be needed any more...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4486028/STO/STOPrefFiles.zip
  • Options
    kraptainkirkkraptainkirk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, its me I know, but, downloaded the latest version, chose the installer as per the pdf, all my wineskin does is say busy!...any clues!
  • Options
    kraptainkirkkraptainkirk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, its me I know, but, downloaded the latest version, chose the installer as per the pdf, all my wineskin does is say busy!...any clues!

Hmm..just updated the wine engine, seems like i "may" be ok, its patching at the mo, 11gb later will tell me..lol
  • Options
    zappyo1998zappyo1998 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Every time i start up the game, I get through the loading screen, but then i get to a screen with a slider to adjust the brightness and the whole computer just freezes. is there a fix for this? my specs are:

OSX: 10.6.8
    Processor: 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    RAM: 8 GB
    NVIDA GeForce 9400m
    Intel High Definition Audio
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For 1.5.1, my graphics haphazardly become very low rez a lot, and upgrading to 1.6.0, my mouse is a bit jumpy, even though I put -enablerawinputsupport 0 in the command line. Any way to fix either? I'm on a new maxed out Macbook air.
  • Options
    sk4psk4p Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Suddenly (apparently) I can't launch at all. I see the icon appear for a moment in my Dock, and "ps auwwx | grep wine" shows the processes running, and my screen's color palette has shifted as it does, but I see nothing happening on the screen, no launcher, nothing, and my normal Mac apps are fine. Help!
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Link to screenpic.

My game keep crashing, I updated the wrapper. Any idea why this keep happening?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Link to screenpic.

My game keep crashing, I updated the wrapper. Any idea why this keep happening?

The crash looks like you have corrupted game files... can try doing a full scan, or delete all your files and let the launcher re-download fresh copies of everything.
  • Options
    ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *sigh*
    Okay, for those of you who are crashing in the launcher:

Mac OS 10.6.8 (snow leopard) does not work with the current versions of the game. Please update to Mountain Lion (10.8) to use the wineskin.
    You will need a minimum of 2GB, but 4GB is much smoother. 10.8 will run on most macs produced in the last 4 years.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sk4p wrote: »
    Suddenly (apparently) I can't launch at all. I see the icon appear for a moment in my Dock, and "ps auwwx | grep wine" shows the processes running, and my screen's color palette has shifted as it does, but I see nothing happening on the screen, no launcher, nothing, and my normal Mac apps are fine. Help!
    ru4tedward wrote: »
    *sigh*
    Okay, for those of you who are crashing in the launcher:

Mac OS 10.6.8 (snow leopard) does not work with the current versions of the game. Please update to Mountain Lion (10.8) to use the wineskin.
    You will need a minimum of 2GB, but 4GB is much smoother. 10.8 will run on most macs produced in the last 4 years.

I have version 10.7.5 and its crashing constantly. but mine is not crashing in launcher but during game play.
  • Options
    matthewmardismatthewmardis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm playing on 10.7.5 and it'll play for a bit (with intense lag) then either crash or shut down my computer altogether. I'm using 1.6.0 and so far it's just extreme lag even with everything on the lowest setting and then random crash. 1.5.0 was shutting my computer down about ten minutes into play, so far haven't had this version do that to me.
  • Options
    darshie101darshie101 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am giving this a try, since I hate to restart the machine every time that I want to play STO (which is basically the only game, now that LOTRO is on mac too, that force me to boot in bootcamp my mac).

The installation went well, but the game just get stuck at the loading screen. It pass the Cryptic loading screen, then it shows the Romulus splash screen, with the "loading" text at the bottom and that's all that I see.

I've downloaded the installer and made a fresh install to avoid issues; I have a mac pro; so I assume that power is not an issue (8 core and 12 Gb of ram should suffice...Windows 7 via Bootcamp is happy with this config).

Anyone got this issue so far? Were you able to play at all?
  • Options
    darshie101darshie101 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Problem solved...I had to restart the game 2-3 times and finally it started.

The speed thou is not that different form the one that I would get using parallels; I guess the main problem are the graphic drivers, which under emulation won't give the same performances as the card in bootcamp. Useful for quick assignment to duty officers thou, using the minimum settings.
  • Options
    ravenking2013ravenking2013 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi,

I installed Star Trek Online. Then the launcher loads and there is my problem. I can't type "@" but how to log in without it? I need the @ for my mailadress. Mybe i'm just totaly stupid and there is another way to log in. but i don't know.

thx
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    darshie101 wrote: »
    The installation went well, but the game just get stuck at the loading screen. It pass the Cryptic loading screen, then it shows the Romulus splash screen, with the "loading" text at the bottom and that's all that I see.
    Leave it sitting at that screen after a patch. It can literally take over 10 minutes to load past it... should only do it after a patch.

Hi,

I installed Star Trek Online. Then the launcher loads and there is my problem. I can't type "@" but how to log in without it? I need the @ for my mailadress. Mybe i'm just totaly stupid and there is another way to log in. but i don't know.

thx
    @? No idea... I don't log in with an email address, just my account name and password.
  • Options
    franzfranzfranzfranz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yeah, i tried also to log in with the accountname but it dosen't work. i know that the account is working because i'm playing also on a windows machine....
  • Options
    drphil321drphil321 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok so I downloaded the experimental wrapper that was posted and ended up installing fresh. But I went to play and when i clicked on the STO icon, it asks me to install software, but when I check inside the STO app, it shows that the STO.exe file and all the other ones are there???? ain't nobody got time to download 10GB again...
  • Options
    ghostmatrix007ghostmatrix007 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    drphil321 wrote: »
    Ok so I downloaded the experimental wrapper that was posted and ended up installing fresh. But I went to play and when i clicked on the STO icon, it asks me to install software, but when I check inside the STO app, it shows that the STO.exe file and all the other ones are there???? ain't nobody got time to download 10GB again...

Change the .exe running to the Star Trek Online.exe
  • Options
    commandojake007commandojake007 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm using the 1.6 of this software on Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.4). I had it running perfectly, but stupid me, I accidentally deleted the STO software that was created to run on mac. I downloaded it again along with the STO launcher, started it and I need to download the 11GB update again! I'm not sure if I deleted 11GB patch with my mistake, or if it is somewhere on my computer. If it is somewhere on my computer, shouldn't I be able to select the option to move a file to the wineskin launcher? So would You atleast tell me where in Finder that I can find the STO itself. (My guess is that it is in with Wineskin, but I can't find it).
  • Options
    commandojake007commandojake007 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    reachfilms wrote: »
    just tried unfortunately still cant get passed the screen, and sometimes it wont even show up it will freeze on the romulan logo

any other suggestions?

Just wait on the logo for a really long time, I know it sounds stupid, but I waited something like 15 minutes and then the game popped up.
  • Options
    lukachietilukachieti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am having two issues with my mac app. My first problem is when the game loads I cannot toggle to fullscreen. The option is greyed out. Is there a way to override this and make the game fullscreen? Secondly, my mac is my second machine I play the game on. It says I need an authorization code which was sent to my email to enter the game. The email still has not sent. Is that a cryptic issue or something to do with opening on a mac? Thanks!
  • Options
    dsrulesalldsrulesall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is there somewhere we can provide info about how the 1.6 version runs on various setups? I know it's experimental and that GPUs aren't tested, so I'm not complaining about it. In fact, it seemed like it performed better than than 1.5 wrappers, so I wanted to provide info about how it went for me in the hopes that it can be helpful to any work on 1.6.

I use a Macbook Air from 2010, running 10.6.8 which has the NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics chipset. I only ran it for a short while, but on the dilithium mining facility, it didn't render all the dilithium crystals on the ground even though I was able to interact with them. Also, on Nimbus III, some of the buildings weren't rendering in full. The ground, distant terrain, even NPCs were all fine. I tried raising the graphics settings and still wasn't able to get all the textures to draw. It was almost as if there was a cap on the number of surfaces the GPU would draw.

Anyway, I'd happily run some more tests if it would be helpful. Otherwise, thanks for all the hard work for making the Mac experience better for us all.
  • Options
    bertiewoosterbertiewooster Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lukachieti wrote: »
    I am having two issues with my mac app. My first problem is when the game loads I cannot toggle to fullscreen. The option is greyed out. Is there a way to override this and make the game fullscreen? Secondly, my mac is my second machine I play the game on. It says I need an authorization code which was sent to my email to enter the game. The email still has not sent. Is that a cryptic issue or something to do with opening on a mac? Thanks!

I believe that's a cryptic issue. I had the authorization code sent just fine. I would contact their support and see if you can get that ironed out.

As for the fullscreen thing, I believe it's under the wineskin options that it's forcing the app to run windowed...if you go into the resolution settings on wineskin by running the wineskin.app in the wrapper, you should be able to change that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Darius (TAC VA) USS Gahreesen (Chel Grett Cruiser), Shomat (SCI VA) ISS Selentic (Mirror DSSV), Napoleon (ENG Capt.) USS Fists of Latinum (Exploration Cruiser), Gothmog (Tac Capt.) IKS Nazgul (Hegh'ta Heavy BoP), Aaesia (Reman Sci Capt) RRW Arien III (Ha'Nom Guardian)
  • Options
    krio09krio09 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm having hugh overheating issues with my macbook pro, any ideas??
  • Options
    clingingmarsclingingmars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What's the best way to get the base game for the wrapper? Used to have boot camp but no longer have access to a Windows OS disk.
  • Options
    lukachietilukachieti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What's the best way to get the base game for the wrapper? Used to have boot camp but no longer have access to a Windows OS disk.

I used the download from file planet for the base game. No problems.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    krio09 wrote: »
    I'm having hugh overheating issues with my macbook pro, any ideas??

temperature issues on Macbooks are pretty common with gaming... any game, Wineskin or not.

in STO you could go in graphics to Troubleshooting section and set for it to use less GPU. The graphics might slow down a bit, but it will run a lot cooler.

You could also get a program like SMCFanControl. I always use this to make my fans run at max speed before starting up STO or any other game, to keep it as cool as possible. Sometimes Macs like to run hot so there is less fan noise and battery draw, but I like just having it run cooler myself.
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So after patching today STO won't start, even after a restart.