test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

Comments

• Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    Or just add a BoP to the Dominion Lockbox ships, since we know the devs LOVE LOVE LOVE DS9 ... and have it be Gul Dukat's Bird of Prey.

That would fit into the whole DS9 feel of the dev team, and still provide the feddies with the BOP they want.

I hope you are joking Snoggy. If we give the feds the BoP, then I want the MVAE for my Klingon. Once that is done another Fed player will say "Well if he gets the MVAE, we should get the Raptor." And so on and so forth, until eventually, well, you can the see the inevitable outcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And you're be wrong. "Neutral" does not mean "allied with both sides." It means "allied with no sides." It means "not involved."

Which is obviously not the case here.
    Right on target there. The Romulan Republic's goals appear to be completely counter-productive, not to mention the implications of assimilation into the KDF/Federation with the technology sharing (both ways) and even the adoption of Romulan/Klingon and Romulan/Federation Uniforms? From the sounds of thigns so far, it jsut seems like the RR just came out of a civil war with the RSE only to diverge into two groups seeking asylum with two rival factions at war with one another. madness doesn't begin to describe it.
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Try to look at the bright side.

You don't have to grind out another starbase, yet you can get access to the one you already put so much time into.

And yet without even a fresh coat of green paint or new uniforms for the Vulcan and Andorian crew wandering around the place. It's a Federation/KDF starbase we will be joining, not a Romulan one.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Try to look at the bright side.

You don't have to grind out another starbase, yet you can get access to the one you already put so much time into.

What if you a group new players and want to make a Romulans "themed" fleet you still would have to grind out a new fed or kdf starbase anyway.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And you're be wrong. "Neutral" does not mean "allied with both sides." It means "allied with no sides." It means "not involved."

Which is obviously not the case here.

You don't believe in the possibility of one power allied with other powers remaining neutral in a conflict between the other powers that is unrelated to them.

:confused:
    Oops...I must have missed that. I do think it might be best classified as an add-on however. Consider that much of the content is tied to the faction chose, and is much the same as what members of the faction you ally with already get. Duty Officers, Ships, Uniforms (to an extent) fleets and fleet commodities are all tied to faction. also there are their episodes, which are not exclusive to them, since their ally can join their episodes and vica verca. I'm not sure their episodes can properly be considered unique content if their alleis can join and get the rewards for romulan missions from them. The lockbox thing, yeah, it takes a lot of the uniqueness away from this 'faction', there is a lot of blurring along the lines between the Romulans and their alleis at this point, they don't seem very distinct from the faction the join, minus the first 10 levels.

I would consider this blurrign in context with the conflict as a whole. If there is little to distinguish a KDF rommie from KDf, and little to distingusih a Fed Rommie from a Fed, then what's the difference in practice? Also keep in mind that the Romulans cannot go back on their decision, so it would appear that their decision to aid one over the other closes off the opportunity for cooperation with the unchosen one. From the soudns of it, it does indeed soudn like this allegiance wil lbe going pretty deep, IMO.

TBH, I'm just waiting for the moment in one of the following two seasons after "Legacy of Romulus" when they introduce something badass as the Iconians and make us all shake hands, kiss & make-up and join forces against them. Not that it is much different now, except that Fed.- Kling war thing lurking around that has not been touched in ages.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »

TBH, I'm just waiting for the moment in one of the following two seasons after "Legacy of Romulus" when they introduce something badass as the Iconians and make us all shake hands, kiss & make-up and join forces against them. Not that it is much different now, except that Fed.- Kling war thing lurking around that has not been touched in ages.

Well, the Tholian reputation is coming up next. Can you handle the anticipation of a Tholian faction? We get 1-10 level content, before dividing between the KDF and the Federation, where we get access to KDF/Fed ships, duty officers etc. Normally a Tholian in posession of such high technology would be cause for concern by Starfleet/Klingon Intelligence, but have no worries! Our Tholians are a breakaway faction that no longer holds to true tholian ideals of conquest and enslavement! We have accepted the Federation dream of freedom and acceptance/Klingon ideals of glory and honor into our heart equivalents to the point where we are indistinguishable from them as a culture or faction!
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's not about the fraking starbases it's about fraking fleets, we can't have a fraking fleet thus we're not a fraking faction.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What if you a group new players and want to make a Romulans "themed" fleet you still would have to grind out a new fed or kdf starbase anyway.

Um, you could do this, but you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face only limiting to a Romulan only Fleet.

Why limit your possibilities? :confused:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited March 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Um, you could do this, but you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face only limiting to a Romulan only Fleet.

Why limit your possibilities? :confused:
    Beacuse he/she wants a Romulan Fleet and a Fleet with Caitans, Tellarites, Humans, Vulcans, Bajorans etc flying around in federation ships is even further from the concept of a Romulan fleet than the meager option of limiting it to Romulan Players.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    You don't believe in the possibility of one power allied with other powers remaining neutral in a conflict between the other powers that is unrelated to them.

:confused:

You know the definitions of neither "neutral" nor "alliance." You are either ignoring, or do not understand, the political ramifications of a state blatantly supplying their own fighting forces to both sides in a shooting conflict. That's not even getting into said government allowing their military commanders to decide such foreign policy on their own whim. (Hint: It would never, ever happen in any state with a functioning government.)
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know the definitions of neither "neutral" nor "alliance." You are either ignoring, or do not understand, the political ramifications of a state blatantly supplying their own fighting forces to both sides in a shooting conflict. That's not even getting into said government allowing their military commanders to decide such foreign policy on their own whim. (Hint: It would never, ever happen in any state with a functioning government.)

Exactly. That's the main reason it feels like the Romulans are just bolt-ons to Starfleet and the KDF.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2013
    Hey, i have an idea,
    can be as PC just kill D'Tan?
  • Options
    pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Call it what you want, the content looks substantial.

It seems pretty entitled to me to completely ignore the volume of it because it is taking a form you didn't expect.

Now the political ramifications are really odd, they sound completely implausible as they've been spelled out so far. It's absurd that a government would give a captain a ship and then say 'follow your heart' and let them choose a side in another war. Hopefully this strange policy is fleshed out a little and it's made clear, at the very least, that the 'Romulan Republic' is fractured and chaotic.

Stahl says in the interview that the choice is made during an episode, so hopefully the nature of the choice is made clear then. Until then it's speculation: but I would agree that picking BOTH sides in a conflict is something that no sane government would ever do and in fact neither side involved would ever allow.
  • Options
    intrepidfox03intrepidfox03 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yep, this free Romulan update with some unique story missions, being able to fly a solid assortment of ships, get some costume options, play as a Romulan or possibly a Reman, the consideration of not necessarily having to restart a starbase [but should have option in future], & did I mention free, is great right?

Nope, big, terrible TRIBBLE up in the story just ruins it right? I mean it would have been better if they didn't have a unique Romulan to play, even a C-store one for existing factions. They should have just made a lockbox for the Romulans. Lobi for costumes, specials sets & weapons. You could then purchase the patol ship as a playable shuttle from the lobi store & you could make the D'D a carrier to purchase. Then the grand prize could be the scimitar. Then who would need ANY unique story? I could just BUY all the shinies. That or have nothing...

Seriously though, glad to see the Romulans enter the game to be able to play. Who knows where the faction story will go, but I for one am glad they now have their 'foot in the door' so to speak. But I think its more like a leg, with an arm reaching around the door...
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, the Tholian reputation is coming up next. Can you handle the anticipation of a Tholian faction? We get 1-10 level content, before dividing between the KDF and the Federation, where we get access to KDF/Fed ships, duty officers etc. Normally a Tholian in posession of such high technology would be cause for concern by Starfleet/Klingon Intelligence, but have no worries! Our Tholians are a breakaway faction that no longer holds to true tholian ideals of conquest and enslavement! We have accepted the Federation dream of freedom and acceptance/Klingon ideals of glory and honor into our heart equivalents to the point where we are indistinguishable from them as a culture or faction!

You folks keep harping on 1-10. Romulan content is 1-40; you don't have to do anything with the Feds of KDF to that point. 10 is where you make a choice concerning your alliance, not where you run out of Romulan-specific content.

As Dastahl has said already, people are making a *lot* of assumptions not based on knowledge, just speculation. He has also said that a lot of these assumptions are wrong.

Forums are entertaining, but often it's just empty calories. :)
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And yet without even a fresh coat of green paint or new uniforms for the Vulcan and Andorian crew wandering around the place. It's a Federation/KDF starbase we will be joining, not a Romulan one.

While the starbase itself may not be up to our design standards, having Fed or Klingon crew serving us is fitting. They are after all, lesser beings. :)

Disclaimer: The above is the opinion of my intended Romulan character. It does not reflect the attitudes of my various Fed and KDF characters.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    You folks keep harping on 1-10. Romulan content is 1-40; you don't have to do anything with the Feds of KDF to that point. 10 is where you make a choice concerning your alliance, not where you run out of Romulan-specific content.

As Dastahl has said already, people are making a *lot* of assumptions not based on knowledge, just speculation. He has also said that a lot of these assumptions are wrong.

Romulans cant make fleets and Starbases , there is no Team Green. It not about having about content its about Romulan players playing together as Romulans, not being split up all over the place in FED and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree. I don't get why people are unhappy with the current implementation either.
    It would be the same problem if, for example, you start as a KDF, then must join the Feds. Lorewise it's stupid. KDF and Feds are at war, which mean you'll fight other Romulan. Friendly Romulan.
    Gameplay wise it's cheap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2013
    So, we have to make a pretty significant choice during our missios that binds us forever to fed or kdf.
    And if we don''t chose we can''t progress anymore.
    that part alone is rubbish.
    What If i don''t want to ally myself with eithr of them, but want to kill D'Tan and go all Tal Shiar?
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, we have to make a pretty significant choice during our missios that binds us forever to fed or kdf.
    What If i don''t want to ally myself with eithr of them, but want to kill D'Tan and go all Tal Shiar?

I sense some romulan blood in you :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Exactly my thinking. This fixation Cryptic has on makign the Romulans less and less compelling to play as is baffling, and the solution is obvious: let us paly as *Real* Romulans.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you kill D'Tan, you can't tag Epohhs. If you can't tag Epohhs you can't grind New Romulus rep. If you can't grind New Romulus Rep, you're can't play end-game STO. So essentially you'd be stuck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you kill D'Tan, you can't tag Epohhs. If you can't tag Epohhs you can't grind New Romulus rep. If you can't grind New Romulus Rep, you're can't play end-game STO. So essentially you'd be stuck.

so no bug spray to? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    broadnax wrote: »

Stahl has said a lot of big things. And delivered a lot of little results.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Forums: "We want Romulans!! You had better let us start Klingons at level 1 too!!"

Cryptic: "Hey guys, we worked our tails off and guess what? We have Romulans! We also filled out Klingon leveling. Can't show ya everything yet, but here's a peek."

Forums: "Based on what I have peeked at I hate everything you have done for me free of charge. Your work is terrible. In my opinion, which is clearly the only valid one, this is not the correct way to do this. It is not what you call it because I call it something else. Now go back and do it again and make sure to cater to fifty conflicting ideals and still make it fit and work in the context of your game. You suck. Hurry!"

ME: Thank you Cryptic for your hard work and efforts. I look forward to the new challenges, items and adventures that you labored over to bring to us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Forums: "We want Romulans!! You had better let us start Klingons at level 1 too!!"

Cryptic: "Hey guys, we worked our tails off and guess what? We have Romulans! We also filled out Klingon leveling. Can't show ya everything yet, but here's a peek."

Forums: "Based on what I have peeked at I hate everything you have done for me free of charge. Your work is terrible. In my opinion, which is clearly the only valid one, this is not the correct way to do this. It is not what you call it because I call it something else. Now go back and do it again and make sure to cater to fifty conflicting ideals and still make it fit and work in the context of your game. You suck. Hurry!"

ME: Thank you Cryptic for your hard work and efforts. I look forward to the new challenges, items and adventures that you labored over to bring to us.

It is baffling to me that in this day and age people still believe there is such a thing as a free lunch.

Cryptic did not make this update expecting not to make money off of it. End of story.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    why should I buy a Mogai when I have a T5 Defiant?

You say that now, but we haven't seen stats on any of the new stuff yet...
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is baffling to me that in this day and age people still believe there is such a thing as a free lunch.

Cryptic did not make this update expecting not to make money off of it. End of story.

Baffling is you not understanding no one is forcing you to buy or play anything. Are they charging for the expansion? They aren't!? Well, that is what I call free. They did it to hope to sell me some of the extra fluff? That's fine, I may even buy some. Expectation does not equal demand. And how DARE they think like a business!? Oh that's right, this is a game run by a company rather than a charity. Go play SWTOR and see how you like their 'free to play' idea. This model is very generous.

I get it, you don't like it. Fine. Stop playing, don't buy anything or get over it. Spreading vitriol over the forums will accomplish nothing. You are contributing to giving these forums the overall impression of being whiny spoiled children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Baffling is you not understanding no one is forcing you to buy or play anything. Are they charging for the expansion? They aren't!? Well, that is what I call free. They did it to hope to sell me some of the extra fluff? That's fine, I may even buy some. Expectation does not equal demand. And how DARE they think like a business!? Oh that's right, this is a game run by a company rather than a charity.

I get it, you don't like it. Fine. Stop playing, don't buy anything or get over it. Spreading vitriol over the forums will accomplish nothing. You are contributing to giving these forums the overall impression of being whiny spoiled children.

I have no problem with them acting like a business. I have a problem with people saying we should we should be grateful for whatever we get because "They made this out of a spirit of charity", which is exactly what
    Based on what I have peeked at I hate everything you have done for me free of charge.

is.