test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

Comments

• Options
    theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    They dont.

There are 3 uniforms, Romulan Neutral that the brown jacket we seen in the video, the Federation Romulan and the Klingon Romulan.

So they get their own uniforms?

Orions have their specific uniforms, I believe other KDF races also get their own uniforms ... but they still have access to the KDF uniforms, only Klingons dont.

According to your "logic" that makes the Orions a faction.

they can't put on a federation uniform, or put on a klingon unform though. it sounds like their unfiorms are inspired by their ally depending on which one you align with.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    not "for", "with". with their allies. you can also make a queue and just do romulan pvp. it's just the public queue and private matches are more fun anyways

The "ally" thing is just a whole other can of stupid. Individual ship captains serving in the military of a functioning government DO NOT get to determine foreign policy. They do not get to decide with whom they want to ally, or which foreign powers for whom to fight. And what's the point in sending your military to kill each other on behalf of foreign powers? All that does is weaken the Romulans militarily and politically, as allying with everybody is worse than allying with nobody; it makes it blatantly obvious they have no interest in keeping faith with anybody. At best, the Romulans are functioning like a loose brotherhood of space-privateers.

By Grabthar's hammer, the "Pirate" faction in "Pirates of the Burning Sea" is more of a faction than the Romulans will be in this.
  • Options
    theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm with the OP on this one. The Romulan Republic is a faction. Although I admit that it's not quite as some have expected it, the RR will be its own faction.
    I don't get why people get the term "alliance" mixed up with "subjugation". The KDF and Fed. helped these Romulans stand on their feet again, building New Romulus with them, so it's natural at this point that they'll be allied with them.

And don't tell me that PvP mumbo-jumbo that Romulans will kill Romulans for the Feds and KDF. If we look at it like that, then Feds. kill Feds. in PvP for the sake of fun, can't see the Federation breaking apart over it.
    This is merely a choice a Romulan commander will make in terms of who does he/she want at his side when engaging the Tal'Shiar, Borg, Tholians, etc., a Klingon warrior or a Starfleet officer.
    A Romulan commander will wear Romulan uniforms, have Romulan insignia, will fly a Warbird with R.R.W. prefix, enjoy Romulan Ale in the faction-specific hub, answer to his/hers Romulan superiors and immerse in unique content. So, yeah, it is in fact a faction. Go figure? How does being allied with someone instantly make you their lapdog I will never understand.

bingo

but guys, really, you might not be happy with how it turned out, but they are a faction. and it can only go up from here! you should be thankful to the devs for their hard work and provide constructive criticism so they can make it better in the future. Peace!
  • Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    You know whats going to be real funny? When they finally add the Borg for $99.99 and they split at lvl 10, having to choose whether they want roll there cubes and assimiliation nanites with the feds or the Klingons....lol. Cryptic..you kill me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ih7ly2bNLEw/Ts2WulL5QQI/AAAAAAAAAdc/NTQ1ZIk2FQI/s1600/Theodore_Roosevelt_laughing.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The "Alliance" thing is just a smokescreen to obfuscate the fact that Romulans are getting rolled into the pre-existing factions.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm with the OP on this one. The Romulan Republic is a faction. Although I admit that it's not quite as some have expected it, the RR will be its own faction.
    I don't get why people get the term "alliance" mixed up with "subjugation". The KDF and Fed. helped these Romulans stand on their feet again, building New Romulus with them, so it's natural at this point that they'll be allied with them.

And don't tell me that PvP mumbo-jumbo that Romulans will kill Romulans for the Feds and KDF. If we look at it like that, then Feds. kill Feds. in PvP for the sake of fun, can't see the Federation breaking apart over it.
    This is merely a choice a Romulan commander will make in terms of who does he/she want at his side when engaging the Tal'Shiar, Borg, Tholians, etc., a Klingon warrior or a Starfleet officer.
    A Romulan commander will wear Romulan uniforms, have Romulan insignia, will fly a Warbird with R.R.W. prefix, enjoy Romulan Ale in the faction-specific hub, answer to his/hers Romulan superiors and immerse in unique content. So, yeah, it is in fact a faction. Go figure? How does being allied with someone instantly make you their lapdog I will never understand.

How bout we dissolve the KDF and have the player base join the Federation, you wont have fleets and kdf starbases no more but you have a faction-specific hub to drink blood wine in. You can still have your klingon ships but they might be sold in lockboxes to fed players later on.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Even if you brush aside the PVP as inconsequential, and not being serious, you still have a situation where every Romulan is forced to choose between joining one of two at-war factions, so you have Romulans, as part of the story, startign a civil war with themselves for the sake of a few brownie points.

As to the rest...? You have Klingon and Federation versions of the uniforms, with no RSE uniforms, the RRW prefix is not the same as the IRW prefix, and we may or may not be flying warbirds, because apparently every Federation and Klingon ship is available to RR players, who will be participating in copy-pasted pre-existing episodes, giving away warbirds to the federation in the form of lockboxes, and fighting the wars of the federation and KDf for them, while drinking chateu picard on their federation Starbase. lapdogs.
    they can't put on a federation uniform, or put on a klingon unform though. it sounds like their unfiorms are inspired by their ally depending on which one you align with.

So? In basically every other concievable way, they are KDF or FED by the end of their story arc. They aren't even RR, much less RSE.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.

No. The Featured Episodes are faction neutral. And always have been.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How bout we dissolve the KDF and have the player base join the Federation, you wont have fleets and kdf starbases no more but you have a faction-specific hub to drink blood wine in. You can still have your klingon ships but they might be sold in lockboxes to fed players later on.

lol :D I'm not sure if I should take this seriosely.
    First of all, you might be misslead by my avatar and signature, but I'm not one of them KDF fanboys gloating that the RR is not what many players might have expected. So your instant reply "how about we dissolve the KDF" does not mean much to me. I do care for the game as a whole though.

Second, are you seriosely trying to tell me that before the starbases the Fed. and KDF were not factions?

Third, actually the KDF, unfortunately has experienced selling out their unique assets to the Feds. like cloak, carriers, unique consoles etc. So that is in fact actually happening.
    Even if you brush aside the PVP as inconsequential, and not being serious, you still have a situation where every Romulan is forced to choose between joining one of two at-war factions, so you have Romulans, as part of the story, startign a civil war with themselves for the sake of a few brownie points.

Uhm....no, it's actually a matter of:
    D'Tan: Commander, we have reports of Borg fleet approaching the border of Tau Dewa.
    You: What do you want me to do, sir?
    D'Tan: Take your ship and find some allies and engage the Borg!
    <beam to your ship>
    You see an Odyssey cruiser and a Bortasqu' battlecruiser orbiting New Romulus.
    *Hmmm....those Klingons onboard that ship might have harsh feelings towards Romulans*
    Helm, hail the Federation ship and ask them if they'll help us push back the Borg.

Civil war? Don't think so, it's more about who do you prefer working with against the mutual enemies.
    As to the rest...? You have Klingon and Federation versions of the uniforms, with no RSE uniforms, the RRW prefix is not the same as the IRW prefix, and we may or may not be flying warbirds, because apparently every Federation and Klingon ship is available to RR players, who will be participating in copy-pasted pre-existing episodes, giving away warbirds to the federation in the form of lockboxes, and fighting the wars of the federation and KDf for them, while drinking chateu picard on their federation Starbase. lapdogs.

The Romulan Republic will have unique content that would enable bringing your char. up to lvl 40 according to Mr.Stahl.
    You also have your own uniforms and TOS ones as much as we could see from the ones leaked from Tribble.
    So the Romulans will have access to Fed. & KDF ships. So what? They'll have access to JHAS as well. So? If all the Romulan fans have such a large consent that their faction should be using only warbirds, then don't buy Vestas and B'rels for your Rommies. Or are you telling me that Cryptic should babysit the Rom. players by forbiding this, so some of you don't break your own immersion by flying an Excelsior? :confused:

So? In basically every other concievable way, they are KDF or FED by the end of their story arc. They aren't even RR, much less RSE.

They certainly are not RSE. And as far as end-game in STO goes, neither are Feds.-Fed or KDF-Klingon. We are just players enjoying end-game content.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    No. The Featured Episodes are faction neutral. And always have been.
    Yup, and they have insinuated that they are bringing at least some of them over to the Romulans. Plus the fact that Romulans have full access to the episodes of their parent faction, and vica verca. Their content is anythign but unique to their faction.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yup, and they have insinuated that they are bringing at least some of them over to the Romulans. Plus the fact that Romulans have full access to the episodes of their parent faction, and vica verca. Their content is anythign but unique to their faction.
    What do you mean full access to the episodes of their parent faction?

All the episodes are faction neutral. There's not that many of them. The Breen/Deferi. The Time Travel Undine one. The Romulan one. The 2800. That's it. There should be a new one coming soon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    alt Doffing Romulans Will Never Get Why We Are Upset About This Because They See Is A New Shiny

Exactly!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lol :D I'm not sure if I should take this seriosely.
    First of all, you might be misslead by my avatar and signature, but I'm not one of them KDF fanboys gloating that the RR is not what many players might have expected. So your instant reply "how about we dissolve the KDF" does not mean much to me. I do care for the game as a whole though.

Second, are you seriosely trying to tell me that before the starbases the Fed. and KDF were not factions?

Third, actually the KDF, unfortunately has experienced selling out their unique assets to the Feds. like cloak, carriers, unique consoles etc. So that is in fact actually happening.

One I never said the feds and kdf are not factions, my point is the Romulan "faction" is a add on for the fed and kdf players. For someone who does't care about the game that much you seem to make a lot posts defending it which applies that you do care about it in some degree.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Uhm....no, it's actually a matter of:
    D'Tan: Commander, we have reports of Borg fleet approaching the border of Tau Dewa.
    You: What do you want me to do, sir?
    D'Tan: Take your ship and find some allies and engage the Borg!
    <beam to your ship>
    You see an Odyssey cruiser and a Bortasqu' battlecruiser orbiting New Romulus.
    *Hmmm....those Klingons onboard that ship might have harsh feelings towards Romulans*
    Helm, hail the Federation ship and ask them if they'll help us push back the Borg.

Civil war? Don't think so, it's more about who do you prefer working with against the mutual enemies.

Did you miss the part where the Klingons and federation are at war? By picking sides, you are by extension going to war with the other faction. Considering that the story funnels Rommulans into allegiance with one of these two, there is bound to be some conflicts of intrest. And now you have Romulans on two sides of a war, while suppsedly both beign part of the Romulan Republic.

The Romulan Republic will have unique content that would enable bringing your char. up to lvl 40 according to Mr.Stahl.
    You also have your own uniforms and TOS ones as much as we could see from the ones leaked from Tribble.
    So the Romulans will have access to Fed. & KDF ships. So what? They'll have access to JHAS as well. So? If all the Romulan fans have such a large consent that their faction should be using only warbirds, then don't buy Vestas and B'rels for your Rommies. Or are you telling me that Cryptic should babysit the Rom. players by forbiding this, so some of you don't break your own immersion by flying an Excelsior? :confused:

They certainly are not RSE. And as far as end-game in STO goes, neither are Feds.-Fed or KDF-Klingon. We are just players enjoying end-game content.

In case you haven't noticed, the Bug and the breen ship etc etc are not part of a playable faction. Player faction ships beign cross faction has been taboo until now. To rub salt in it, we now know that Cryptic at least ahs plans for implementing lockboxes that will give *everyone* access to Romulan Ships.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Right.... like *everyone* has access to Bug ships.... or not... they're still expensive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Right.... like *everyone* has access to Bug ships.... or not... they're still expensive.
    Yes, all of those npc faction ships are varying degrees of rare and expensive. A Fed still can't grab a lockbox and get a K'tinga out of it though, and neither can a KDF open one up and get a Defiant. It's a taboo, a line that shouldn't be crossed and has not until now, and it shows what Cryptic really thinks about the Romulan faction-essentially an add on to the KDF and FED.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    A Fed still can't grab a lockbox and get a K'tinga out of it though
    YET. Give this game time. There is precedent for Feds flying Klingon ships after all.
    The "HMS Bounty" was the name given to the Klingon Bird-of-Prey commandeered by James Kirk and his command crew in 2285. The name was originally suggested by Leonard McCoy as an ironic joke, in reference to the famous sea-going vessel of the same name which was taken over by mutineers in the 18th century. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)

Nothing says lockbox quite so well as the Voyage Home FEDDIE BOP!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    One I never said the feds and kdf are not factions, my point is the Romulan "faction" is a add on for the fed and kdf players. For someone who does't care about the game that much you seem to make a lot posts defending it which applies that you do care about it in some degree.

What's your point? :confused: I said I do care about the game, you might want to read that again.
    I don't see this faction as an add on, I think it fits in the storyline we had so far - that New Romulus is slowly rebuilding and retreiving hope for the Romulan species that one day, they will be a major player in the galaxy again.
    Did you miss the part where the Klingons and federation are at war? By picking sides, you are by extension going to war with the other faction. Considering that the story funnels Rommulans into allegiance with one of these two, there is bound to be some conflicts of intrest. And now you have Romulans on two sides of a war, while suppsedly both beign part of the Romulan Republic.

So, if two of my friends start fighting each other, that means I must join one of them and beat the TRIBBLE out of the other?
    They are allied with both, so they can make it clear to both the KDF & Fed that they do not intend to join their feud, because they like to remain in peace with everyone, offering the helping hand as much as they can in the fight against the major threats to the quadrant.
    In case you haven't noticed, the Bug and the breen ship etc etc are not part of a playable faction. Player faction ships beign cross faction has been taboo until now. To rub salt in it, we now know that Cryptic at least ahs plans for implementing lockboxes that will give *everyone* access to Romulan Ships.

I know this and I agree it has been taboo untill now, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I guess we'll wait and see on that one.
    The lockboxes although mentioned have not been oficialy confirmed, however I'm against that and I'd rather have anyone that wants a warbird to have to roll a Romulan char.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Or just add a BoP to the Dominion Lockbox ships, since we know the devs LOVE LOVE LOVE DS9 ... and have it be Gul Dukat's Bird of Prey.
    Dukat's Bird-of-Prey was a Klingon Bird-of-Prey that was captured by Dukat, with help from Major Kira Nerys, Damar and Tora Ziyal, in 2372. Dukat used it to conduct a series of independent raids during the Klingon-Cardassian War.

That would fit into the whole DS9 feel of the dev team, and still provide the feddies with the BOP they want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nothing says lockbox quite so well as the Voyage Home FEDDIE BOP!

Only if the KDF get a T5 Connie Refit.

That blows up 60 seconds after you beam on board :D
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In before inevitable thread-merge...
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The 3rd faction becomes non existent and a total joke when your faction gets split into picking Feds or kdf. Romulns can end up fighting themselves in some one else's war. So how are they still in the same 'faction' while they can be fighting each other? After joining another faction. Romulans have an identity crisis that's for sure
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    So, if two of my friends start fighting each other, that means I must join one of them and beat the TRIBBLE out of the other?
    They are allied with both, so they can make it clear to both the KDF & Fed that they do not intend to join their feud, because they like to remain in peace with everyone, offering the helping hand as much as they can in the fight against the major threats to the quadrant.

This is a bollocks, nonsensical rationalization on the face of it. I can't believe you even bothered typing it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    What's your point? :confused: I said I do care about the game, you might want to read that again.
    I don't see this faction as an add on, I think it fits in the storyline we had so far - that New Romulus is slowly rebuilding and retreiving hope for the Romulan species that one day, they will be a major player in the galaxy again.

I can edit posts too , Ill will stand by what I said.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This is a bollocks, nonsensical rationalization on the face of it. I can't believe you even bothered typing it out.

The Romulan Republic is far too young and fragile to waste what little resources it has fighting in a feud between Fed. & KDF, while more dangerous enemies are lurking around New Romulus.
    The Federation wants to remain at peace with RR, because they are Feds. they want peace with everyone.
    The KDF wants to remain at peace with RR, because it doesn't suit them to stretch their forces on yet another front amongs the many.
    Both the KDF & Fed. would accept if the Republic remains neutral in their conflict, because it suits them both.

You don't believe in the possibility of one power allied with other powers remaining neutral in a conflict between the other powers that is unrelated to them. Fine. It's your pov. I consider it highly possible.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I know this and I agree it has been taboo untill now, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I guess we'll wait and see on that one.
    The lockboxes although mentioned have not been oficialy confirmed, however I'm against that and I'd rather have anyone that wants a warbird to have to roll a Romulan char.

Oops...I must have missed that. I do think it might be best classified as an add-on however. Consider that much of the content is tied to the faction chose, and is much the same as what members of the faction you ally with already get. Duty Officers, Ships, Uniforms (to an extent) fleets and fleet commodities are all tied to faction. also there are their episodes, which are not exclusive to them, since their ally can join their episodes and vica verca. I'm not sure their episodes can properly be considered unique content if their alleis can join and get the rewards for romulan missions from them. The lockbox thing, yeah, it takes a lot of the uniqueness away from this 'faction', there is a lot of blurring along the lines between the Romulans and their alleis at this point, they don't seem very distinct from the faction the join, minus the first 10 levels.

I would consider this blurrign in context with the conflict as a whole. If there is little to distinguish a KDF rommie from KDf, and little to distingusih a Fed Rommie from a Fed, then what's the difference in practice? Also keep in mind that the Romulans cannot go back on their decision, so it would appear that their decision to aid one over the other closes off the opportunity for cooperation with the unchosen one. From the soudns of it, it does indeed soudn like this allegiance wil lbe going pretty deep, IMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I can edit posts too , Ill will stand by what I said.

Dude please, I mean nothing bad by saying this, but stop it, you're making yourself look ridiculous.
    I haven't even edited the post you're refering to. Go and see. Unless you now want to believe that I'm a moderator and I can manipulate posts so I doens't show they have been edited. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The Romulan Republic is far too young and fragile to waste what little resources it has fighting in a feud between Fed. & KDF, while more dangerous enemies are lurking around New Romulus.
    The Federation wants to remain at peace with RR, because they are Feds. they want peace with everyone.
    The KDF wants to remain at peace with RR, because it doesn't suit them to stretch their forces on yet another front amongs the many.
    Both the KDF & Fed. would accept if the Republic remains neutral in their conflict, because it suits them both.

You don't believe in the possibility of one power allied with other powers remaining neutral in a conflict between the other powers that is unrelated to them. Fine. It's your pov. I consider it highly possible.

And you're be wrong. "Neutral" does not mean "allied with both sides." It means "allied with no sides." It means "not involved."

Which is obviously not the case here.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Try to look at the bright side.

You don't have to grind out another starbase, yet you can get access to the one you already put so much time into.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.