test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Death penality?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I noticed on the deal that it said in April the Death Penalty is going to be active. How is that going to work on the Klingons side since one of their missions is to die 25 times.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well, According to the March 3rd Engineering Report, •Death Penalty Options are in Development so hopefully we'll all be able to turn that off just for said "It is a good day to die" Mission, not to mention with Infected currently and the ROOTS! >< hopefully we'll be able to turn it off there as well, it sux when you have two healers and they both get rooted while trying to heal everyone, and everyone is out of range :S
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, to be honest, I'm not really fond of a death penalty being added to this game. I can't tell you how many times I've warped into an enemy contact only to get swarmed by enemies camping where you warp in or spawn.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lisa needs braces.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Well, to be honest, I'm not really fond of a death penalty being added to this game. I can't tell you how many times I've warped into an enemy contact only to get swarmed by enemies camping where you warp in or spawn.

But that's just me.

I agree, I wish they let us have the option to turn it off. That's happened to me plenty of times.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ashki wrote:

But that's just me.

I also agree. Until they fix encouinters so you don't warp right into the middle. (Last night I warped right on top of the enemy flagship. Sheesh.)

In most games I prefer a fairly harsh death penalty, but until they fix that it's best not to have one.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ashki wrote:

But that's just me.

This was one of the many many arguements made of why a death penalty would be bad, like crossing the streams bad. When all was said in done, alot of people felt a good "middle ground" would be to make it an option and make it integrated with the difficulty slider, I only hope they listened.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gerith wrote:
    I also agree. Until they fix encouinters so you don't warp right into the middle. (Last night I warped right on top of the enemy flagship. Sheesh.)

In most games I prefer a fairly harsh death penalty, but until they fix that it's best not to have one.

Fairly harsh death penalty huh? someone's an Infected virgin :P do that with a pug group and let me know if you still feel the same way kthxbai
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Death Penalty with RA5 and PVP would be silly. Would just anger people in such a way that no game has ever witnessed before. Cant imagine the 50 wipes per infected with a death penalty. Considering any other game 5 - 10 deaths on average nuke your gear or make you so nerfed that one shot brings you down. And having to leave that raid and spend 7 minutes to fly to the battle group to "repair" or whatever you would have to do then fly back and die 5 times and then repeat it over again.

I would just feel sorry for klingons and their "its a good day to die" (space/land) missions.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Desdecardo wrote: »
    Death Penalty with RA5 and PVP would be silly. Would just anger people in such a way that no game has ever witnessed before. Cant imagine the 50 wipes per infected with a death penalty. Considering any other game 5 - 10 deaths on average nuke your gear or make you so nerfed that one shot brings you down. And having to leave that raid and spend 7 minutes to fly to the battle group to "repair" or whatever you would have to do then fly back and die 5 times and then repeat it over again.

I would just feel sorry for klingons and their "its a good day to die" (space/land) missions.

Exactly my thoughts Desdecardo, a 2 hours raid turns into a 4 hour raid on average.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    reon wrote: »
    This was one of the many many arguements made of why a death penalty would be bad, like crossing the streams bad. When all was said in done, alot of people felt a good "middle ground" would be to make it an option and make it integrated with the difficulty slider, I only hope they listened.

Yeah, a death penalty in this game would be "crossing the streams" bad cause of things like camping enemies and such, and yes, I do hope that if it has to be added it'll have something to do with the difficulty slider. Here's to hoping.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Exactly my thoughts Desdecardo, a 2 hours raid turns into a 4 hour raid on average.

I was all for a DP , but i agree with this now , with raids like infected, it remained fun with respawns , with a DP it would kill it dead , STO doesnt need a harsh DP , just something like a overall 'condition' bar , so once in a moon you have to put into dock for a fix up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    One of the flaws of listening to your public is they ask for things without considering what the repercussions might be. Death Penality is a case in point. From my first days in beta players were requesting a DP. I advised a 'wait and see' attitude but was overruled by the vast majority.

Now with these heavy death toll raids, a DP doesnt seem so appealing. Dont blame Cryptic because they are only doing what you told them you wanted.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LawLessOne wrote: »
    One of the flaws of listening to your public is they ask for things without considering what the repercussions might be. Death Penality is a case in point. From my first days in beta players were requesting a DP. I advised a 'wait and see' attitude but was overruled by the vast majority.

Now with these heavy death toll raids, a DP doesnt seem so appealing. Dont blame Cryptic because they are only doing what you told them you wanted.

Pretty much this, granted, listening to your buyers can be good, but it can also backfire in a huge way like this what with the camping enemies and raids and such. Like it was mentioned, I sure hope that the slider bar figures in with it hard.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Pretty much this, granted, listening to your buyers can be good, but it can also backfire in a huge way like this what with the camping enemies and raids and such. Like it was mentioned, I sure hope that the slider bar figures in with it hard.

Yup, if not I don't think the raids will be keeping many people. I've already stopped infected, I have no desire to spend 2 hours rooted and respawning. The space portion is fine. Signal Contacts suck due to spawn camping, so those will probably take a hit too. Unless Cryptic fixes this stuff they're probably going to turn more people away than keep.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yup, if not I don't think the raids will be keeping many people. I've already stopped infected, I have no desire to spend 2 hours rooted and respawning. The space portion is fine. Signal Contacts suck due to spawn camping, so those will probably take a hit too. Unless Cryptic fixes this stuff they're probably going to turn more people away than keep.

Currently, I will spend the two hours with my fleet and friends doing Infected because its a game and its fun :) since there isn't a Death Penality, my annoyance-tolerance level is pretty melow, the only thing that I hate is when I jump onto a box only to get shot and end up diving head first into the plasma >< but even then I can sigh relief because we take no Penality for it. We can continue our hunt for the Borg Queen at our pace without having to worry about "TRIBBLE my shield is broken I need to repair" I can spend 2 hours a night doing Raid Content, that beats WoW by a huge window. A Death Penality will make a 2 hour raid last way to long and I can bet 110% that all casual players will leave this game because of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, first things first, we have to wait till April to see how bad its going to be. Personally, I'm probably going to play the hell out of my main Federation character to hopefully get him to at least Captain before then.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Best advice you can get Ashki, level like hell and enjoy it while it lasts
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Best advice you can get Ashki, level like hell and enjoy it while it lasts

I fully agree.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The group that kept/keeps asking for DP to be instituted in STO really didn't/don't have a clue about what they're asking for.

And the rest of the player community is going to be forced to suffer thru the consequences. :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Will there be a DP in pvp?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    as no doubt many people have already said, i dont like the idea of a death penalty....not at least until something is done about getting sucked into enemy signal contacts randomly and without warning. Ive lost count of how many times its happened to me, even more annoying is when the enemy ships are many many levels above and there is no chance to warp out! :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I havent read the whole thing but a couple of points i think should come into every death penalty argument heh:

They will definately have a different system for PvP versus PvE, if they have any at all in pvp. (A dev said as much)

Regardless of the dp, they NEED to fix deep space encounters to not have a huge fleet of enemies at the spawn point.

And whatever dp they put in, I have faith they're not stupid enough to make raids impossible or tremendously take longer

With those points in mind, i very much look forward to a death penalty, as this game is too easy and it really seems silly that I can die with absolutely no consequences, leading to many scenarios where you're better off letting yourself die than trying to win..
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Lisa needs braces.

Dental plan
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It has already been stated that it will be an option. So if you do not like death penalties, then simply turn them off. I for one will at least try it out before placing a judgment on them/ Who knows, it just might fit the game quite nicely.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wraiven wrote: »
    It has already been stated that it will be an option. So if you do not like death penalties, then simply turn them off. I for one will at least try it out before placing a judgment on them/ Who knows, it just might fit the game quite nicely.

Well, that works for me then, and like I said, who knows, it may not be as bad as I think, but honestly, they should fix some of the issues with the enemy contacts before adding it in.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    I noticed on the deal that it said in April the Death Penalty is going to be active. How is that going to work on the Klingons side since one of their missions is to die 25 times.

I'm thinking that they may use the Bonus Method death penalty that they use for Champions Online.

With the Bonus Method you gain stars (up to 5) that equate to a bonus to your attack and defense abilities. As you are killed you lose these stars until you are no longer receiving a bonus. This way players that don't die get a boost to their abilities and players that do aren't severely penalized for not being awesome.

In addition, this death penalty could easily work for both Space and Ground combat, instead of just one or the other.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    I'm thinking that they may use the Bonus Method death penalty that they use for Champions Online.

With the Bonus Method you gain stars (up to 5) that equate to a bonus to your attack and defense abilities. As you are killed you lose these stars until you are no longer receiving a bonus. This way players that don't die get a boost to their abilities and players that do aren't severely penalized for not being awesome.

In addition, this death penalty could easily work for both Space and Ground combat, instead of just one or the other.

:cool:

That could work as well, not only do you have a death penalty, but one that won't hurt you do to camping enemies and such.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    IIRC Champions Online is balanced for having 2 stars - so effectively if you lose stars so you have less than 2 you are at a slight debuff, but you have the ability to gain an effective buff through good play.