test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
Do all KDF players PvP? No.
Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

Now let me ask these questions:

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May)
Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own backstory? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own ships? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own uniforms? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own home base (Sol, Qono's)? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own distinct UI? Yes.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.
Post edited by theincredible33 on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree. I don't get why people are unhappy with the current implementation either.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.

They wouldn't have their own unique species (Remans and whatever might come)
    They wound't have there own backstory (New Romulus prequel
    they wouldn't have their own ships (Fed/ KDF don't get to fly Romulan ships)
    They wouldn't have their own uniforms
    They wouldn't have their own home base
    They wouldn't have their own UI
    They would be playing KDF Fed missions from 1-50

Everything I said above! So yes, it would have been a huge difference.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
    Do all KDF players PvP? No.
    Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
    Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
    Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

Now let me ask these questions:

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May)
    Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.
    Do all Fed KDF players PVP? No, and neither will all Rommies. Doesn't change the fact that the Story forces Romulans to divide and be absorbed by their two mortal enemies.

Fed and KDF players have the option of using KDF or FED fleets, they aren't forced to use Ferengi ones or whatever.

I would expect that most do.

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May) And Romualns have to choose their faction at level 10. After that, they are no longer really a 'Romulan' Faction, as they essentially becoem part of their parent faction.

Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes. They have more options, and won't have two restricted from FTP by the paywalls of Lifetime/Gold.

Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes. They are re-doing a lot of the existing episodes for the Romulans, they have said this. Expect cut and paste.

Do the Romulans have an awful backstory thanks to the split from the RSE, being forced to work for a reunificationist, and then being given the choice of becoming a protectorate of one of their two mortal enemies? yes.

Which they will be lendign out to Romulans, and vica verca thanks to the hitned Romulan Lockbox and the Starbase system, diluting the uniqueness of all parties involved, but primarily the ROmulans, because they have little to go on for themselves aside from ships.

And what Do the Romulans have? The choice between Rags and a KDF/FED version of rags.
    Where's our RSE uniforms? The ones already utilized by the NPCs?

last time I checked, the other two homeworlds are not adventure zones for the other faction to chase pig rabbits and spray bugs.

Changing the color to green makes them a faction....how?

The Romulan faction is a faction in name only, and the Romulans are Romulans in name only.
  • Options
    romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Not much, if any.

cryptic call it ,,faction,, biggest joke in ST universe creations ,generally .
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Not much, if any.
    Nope, and cosnidering Cryptic has already said they are consdiering adding Romulan ships to lockboxes for everyone, it would accomplish the same goal, and the RSE/ Republic would still ahve at least a shred of its former dignity left.
    romulanway wrote: »
    cryptic call it ,,faction,, biggest joke in ST universe creations ,generally .

Someone in another topic described it as being mroe of a 'fraction' I think that is a more descriptive term for the state of the Romulans, IMO.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is the kdf a faction? Yes, but by far the worst faction in all mmo's
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Do all Fed KDF players PVP? No, and neither will all Rommies. Doesn't change the fact that the Story forces Romulans to divide and be absorbed by their two mortal enemies.

but this doesnt take them away from being a faction

Fed and KDF players have the option of using KDF or FED fleets, they aren't forced to use Ferengi ones or whatever.

I would expect that most do.

what?

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May) And Romualns have to choose their faction at level 10. After that, they are no longer really a 'Romulan' Faction, as they essentially becoem part of their parent faction.

so, they form their alliance at level 10. DStahl said they have their own missions beyond this.

Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes. They have more options, and won't have two restricted from FTP by the paywalls of Lifetime/Gold.

so, make a alien is a reward for being gold and supporting the game. go gold for one month and stop the sub after you make it

Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes. They are re-doing a lot of the existing episodes for the Romulans, they have said this. Expect cut and paste.

where have they said this? This is from the Ask cryptic: Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

you think they are going to be able to tell the tutorial, the sela missions and the silent emeny missions in just 10 levels? I think we should wait to see what happens and I believe we will have or own after the alliance. says so above

Do the Romulans have an awful backstory thanks to the split from the RSE, being forced to work for a reunificationist, and then being given the choice of becoming a protectorate of one of their two mortal enemies? yes.

Blame is on JJ. I like the story Cryptic is telling.

Which they will be lendign out to Romulans, and vica verca thanks to the hitned Romulan Lockbox and the Starbase system, diluting the uniqueness of all parties involved, but primarily the ROmulans, because they have little to go on for themselves aside from ships.

i think that only romulan ships can be piloted by a romulan. so what if there is a lock box ship. that does not play in here to it not being a faction. we already have alien ships in fed/ kdf hands.

And what Do the Romulans have? The choice between Rags and a KDF/FED version of rags.
    Where's our RSE uniforms? The ones already utilized by the NPCs?

they are not the RSE so they wound't have that. that's not what this story is

last time I checked, the other two homeworlds are not adventure zones for the other faction to chase pig rabbits and spray bugs.

The ask cryptic says: faction-exclusive social hub. I dont think that is new romulus.

Changing the color to green makes them a faction....how?

look at the legacyofromulus.com each are unique.

The Romulan faction is a faction in name only, and the Romulans are Romulans in name only.

do not agree

put my answers in red
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is a Alt 'faction" for fed and kdf players, there are no fleets and starbases, the Romulan player base will be splint between two existing faction and fleets.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This is a Alt 'faction" for fed and kdf players, there are no fleets and starbases, the Romulan player base will be splint between two existing faction and fleets.

As I said. A fleet and starbase does not make a faction.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    They wouldn't have their own unique species (Remans and whatever might come)

Non-factor. Those species could be just as easily added to the Federation and Klingon lists.
    They wound't have there own backstory (New Romulus prequel

This is the only valid point you have, but once the story is over, what then? They have no unique identity at endgame. They serve at the pleasure of their Fed and KDF overlords.
    they wouldn't have their own ships (Fed/ KDF don't get to fly Romulan ships)

Uh-huh. I have no doubt whatsoever that Feds and KDF will be able to obtain Romulan ships, even if just through the Z-Store and lockboxes. The whole "Alliance" makes it all but a given.
    They wouldn't have their own uniforms

Wouldn't they? There's nothing uniform about the uniforms available now... why wouldn't Romulan type uniforms be made available?
    They wouldn't have their own home base

Do they have their own "home base" now? Not bloody likely. Romulans will be hanging out at ESD/QoNos, respectively.
    They wouldn't have their own UI

Entirely superficial.
    They would be playing KDF Fed missions from 1-50

Well, one, according to Mr. Stahl, the Romulan story ends at 40ish. Two, the missions are all the same anyway. Go to X, blow something up. Go to Y, blow something up. Go to Z, blow something up. Beam down. Shoot some guys. Beam up. Blow up more ships.

And I will be very surprised if most of the missions aren't repackaged pre-existing Fed/KDF missions anyway.
    Everything I said above! So yes, it would have been a huge difference.

When the bill is tallied, Romulans will just be Federation or KDF characters. They will have their equipment, their crews, their bases, their ships, their fleets, their queues. They will have nothing of their own.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    As I said. A fleet and starbase does not make a faction.

yes it does, if this was done to the fed players it would end sto.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    yes it does, if this was done to the fed players it would end sto.

Romulans can still build a starbase of their alliance though if they really want to. Starbases are a newer thing that were out way after the start of the game. Starbases don't make a faction a faction. it is part of a fleet.

story wise, romulans don't have enough manpower and supplies to make their own. they need their allies help and is why they can make one of their allies
  • Options
    xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    On the point of Fleets, there is nothing stopping you from making a Romulan character & then joining the Feds/KDF & then making your own brand new fleet where the only races you allow to join are Romulan faction ones.

The downside of this is cosmetic as the fleet base would look Fed/KDF.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    xhatch wrote: »
    On the point of Fleets, there is nothing stopping you from making a Romulan character & then joining the Feds/KDF & then making your own brand new fleet where the only races you allow to join are Romulan faction ones.

exactly! thats what i will do
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Romulans can still build a starbase of their alliance though

Its not a ROMULAN starbase.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

To fight for the Feds/KDF in PvP, and play the Fed/KDF endgame? What would be the point? At best, the fleet would feel like a species-specific auxiliary fleet for one of the two real factions.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Its not a ROMULAN starbase.

right it is not. I believe that just because they dont have a starbase doesnt make them not a faction. before starbases launched what if the romulans were introduced? they wouldn't have a starbase
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    To fight for the Feds/KDF in PvP, and play the Fed/KDF endgame? What would be the point?

not "for", "with". with their allies. you can also make a queue and just do romulan pvp. it's just the public queue and private matches are more fun anyways
  • Options
    edited March 2013

The no point in doing so, one of the reason about the romulans being split up stated by Dstal is that they didnt want players to have to start over on starbases. If I have to start a new base I would rather have it be a romulan base.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    put my answers in red
    1) yes....yes it does....

2) There are no Romulan fleets, they have to make do with contributing to KDF or FED fleets, their historical mortal enemies.

3) They also said that they are re-using existing episodes for the RR, and that the NR reputation endgame missions are part of this 'content' I expect a lot of cut and paste missions fro mtheir respecitve adoptive factions at this point. Also the fact that there is no 'independet' option post 10. You are required to be absorbed into one of the two factions.

4) They have three (plus borg) species options. Only one is available from the start. Two are restricted to FTP completely, not even a Zen unlock. No other faction has this distinction of being either this restricted, or having two species reserved for non-ftp.

5) "Dstahl: As has been our plan since we introduced the Featured series, these episodes will remain available to any faction, and thus are available to the new Romulan Republic faction.

In order to improve story flow, we?re restructuring when individual series are offered to Romulans and Klingons so that new and returning captains will experience more of the new missions first. The rewards from these series will remain available to all factions as will the special rewards when we have Rerun Events."

They are clearly restructuring the series, and planning to utilize them for the Romulans.

6) The Romulans were recovering prior to this, all indicators pointed to. There was still a RSE decades after the hobus incident until they decided to throw them out the window and replace them with these refugees and hippies. Your opinion is an opinion and not fact.

7) When was the last time you saw a KDF palyer flying an excelsior, or a Fed flying a Vorcha? It's the same principle. Player factions do not share ships cross-faction. They are treating the Romulans like an NPC faction already. And no, they explicitly stated that non-romulans would have access.

8) Last time I checked the Feds have a Mirror Universe uniform, despite not being Mirror-universe feds. Ad the fact that we are getting a Romulan Republic KDF/FED addon? That's a problem, not a solution.

9) And what happens when you walk out the front door on NR? Bam, Klingons chasing epohhs. They are right on your doorstep.

10) It's a color. Color does not equal faction. It's not that hard to figure out, or are you saying that Cryptic could literally copy the fed faction and change its UI to yellow and you'd consider it a new faction?

11) Oh really? what's so romulan about them, aside from their species? They can't even dress like romulans, fly non-romulan ships, lend out romulan ships to their enemies, and join their enemies military, and act more like freedom fighters than schemers?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The no point in doing so, one of the reason about the romulans being split up stated by Dstal is that they didnt want players to have to start over on starbases. If I have to start a new base I would rather have it be a romulan base.

then do it once it comes out. they said maybe in the future. but just because they start to allow a romulan starbase automatically makes them a faction in an instant? I think not
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ALT Doffing Romulans will never get why we are upset about this because they see is a new shiny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulans can still build a starbase of their alliance though if they really want to. Starbases are a newer thing that were out way after the start of the game. Starbases don't make a faction a faction. it makes a fleet.

My bold. That's where you shot yourself down, right there. It is *not* a unique Romulan base, it is a base that is identical to the faction they have become be it fed or kdf.

When they breach lvl 40 and finish their arc, they are effectively members of either fed or kdf. Once past that mark, the devs don't really need to do anything content wise with the Romulans as they are effectively a non-entity.
    The end game content is going to be identical to which ever faction they have become a part of.
    story wise, romulans don't have enough manpower and supplies to make their own. they need their allies help and is why they can make one of their allies

A handy excuse for the devs I think. Hey, it fits and all but it still seems to be a bit of a cop out.

Still, I will likely be rolling a Romulan toon, just to see what it's about. If I like it, then I might well roll more, but if not then that'll be it for me.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    then do it once it comes out. they said maybe in the future. but just because they start to allow a romulan starbase automatically makes them a faction in an instant? I think not
    Giving them a Green UI certainly doesn't make them a Romulan faction, and I'm not seeing much else here that does, even tentatively. Even their iconic ships aren't unique to their faction if the lockbox comment is anything to go by.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    right it is not. I believe that just because they dont have a starbase doesnt make them not a faction. before starbases launched what if the romulans were introduced? they wouldn't have a starbase

Feds and Kdf had there own fleets from the start. You cant have a faction if the playerbase for that faction is divided into other factions. So what if the did add romulan starbases in the future are they going to expect romulin players that started their characters in fed and kdf fleets to start over, it will never happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    1) yes....yes it does....

2) There are no Romulan fleets, they have to make do with contributing to KDF or FED fleets, their historical mortal enemies.

3) They also said that they are re-using existing episodes for the RR, and that the NR reputation endgame missions are part of this 'content' I expect a lot of cut and paste missions fro mtheir respecitve adoptive factions at this point. Also the fact that there is no 'independet' option post 10. You are required to be absorbed into one of the two factions.

4) They have three (plus borg) species options. Only one is available from the start. Two are restricted to FTP completely, not even a Zen unlock. No other faction has this distinction of being either this restricted, or having two species reserved for non-ftp.

5) "Dstahl: As has been our plan since we introduced the Featured series, these episodes will remain available to any faction, and thus are available to the new Romulan Republic faction.

In order to improve story flow, we?re restructuring when individual series are offered to Romulans and Klingons so that new and returning captains will experience more of the new missions first. The rewards from these series will remain available to all factions as will the special rewards when we have Rerun Events."

They are clearly restructuring the series, and planning to utilize them for the Romulans.

6) The Romulans were recovering prior to this, all indicators pointed to. There was still a RSE decades after the hobus incident until they decided to throw them out the window and replace them with these refugees and hippies. Your opinion is an opinion and not fact.

7) When was the last time you saw a KDF palyer flying an excelsior, or a Fed flying a Vorcha? It's the same principle. Player factions do not share ships cross-faction. They are treating the Romulans like an NPC faction already. And no, they explicitly stated that non-romulans would have access.

8) Last time I checked the Feds have a Mirror Universe uniform, despite not being Mirror-universe feds. Ad the fact that we are getting a Romulan Republic KDF/FED addon? That's a problem, not a solution.

9) And what happens when you walk out the front door on NR? Bam, Klingons chasing epohhs. They are right on your doorstep.

10) It's a color. Color does not equal faction. It's not that hard to figure out, or are you saying that Cryptic could literally copy the fed faction and change its UI to yellow and you'd consider it a new faction?

11) Oh really? what's so romulan about them, aside from their species? They can't even dress like romulans, fly non-romulan ships, lend out romulan ships to their enemies, and join their enemies military, and act more like freedom fighters than schemers?

These are not the RSE. these are the New Romulans. Not mortal enemies.

I still think they will have their own missions. let's see once it is on tribble.

of course they Romulan Repulbic can play the feature episodes. why wouldn't they?

only romulans can fly romulan ships. if there is a lock box, I think that would be the only case
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013

like the answer to we have to many ships to as to all the admirals on ESD so on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm with the OP on this one. The Romulan Republic is a faction. Although I admit that it's not quite as some have expected it, the RR will be its own faction.
    I don't get why people get the term "alliance" mixed up with "subjugation". The KDF and Fed. helped these Romulans stand on their feet again, building New Romulus with them, so it's natural at this point that they'll be allied with them.

And don't tell me that PvP mumbo-jumbo that Romulans will kill Romulans for the Feds and KDF. If we look at it like that, then Feds. kill Feds. in PvP for the sake of fun, can't see the Federation breaking apart over it.
    This is merely a choice a Romulan commander will make in terms of who does he/she want at his side when engaging the Tal'Shiar, Borg, Tholians, etc., a Klingon warrior or a Starfleet officer.
    A Romulan commander will wear Romulan uniforms, have Romulan insignia, will fly a Warbird with R.R.W. prefix, enjoy Romulan Ale in the faction-specific hub, answer to his/hers Romulan superiors and immerse in unique content. So, yeah, it is in fact a faction. Go figure? How does being allied with someone instantly make you their lapdog I will never understand.
    HQroeLu.jpg