test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

Comments

• Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    Nope, but the four things you listed are not that important to some of us (DOFF system carries some weight for me, the others not so much. Especially since Fed and KDF share some endgame as well). Also, I don't recall them saying there will be no exploration for them, but I might have missed it.

The faction has it's own characters, uniforms, ships, weapons, equipment, and reportedly fleshed out storyline. Those are by far the most important parts of any faction to me. Hopefully the rest will come over time.

Cryptic never claimed it had everything that the other two factions have; those assumptions were made by players with no knowledge to base it on. What we are getting is substantially more than what was entailed in the early "mini-faction" discussion, for which I am very glad.
    Well, between the plans to implement a Romulan Lockbox, and the reputation system, I'm not really sure the Romulans can be counted as having its own weapons, ships or equipment, barring episode rewards.

As for Uniforms, they are getting Federation and KDF themed uniforms, add that to the items missing that he mentioned, and that Romulans have access to the ships of their ally, I think there is a bit of credence IMO to the argument that they are more an expansion to the FED/KDF rather than a unique faction of their own, a sort of "Federation/KDF Plus" character, if you will.

As for the episodic content, we will see. There has been a lot of criticism that the story of the Romulan Republic is not terribly Romulan-themed, not being the RSE and in fact running counter to their goals.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let me ask these questions:

Does the Romulan Faction have Fleet Holdings? - NO
    Does the Romulan Faction have its own exploration system? - NO
    Does the Romulan Faction have its own DOff system? - NO
    Does the Romulan Faction have its own unique endgame experience? - NO

Based on those questions, let me ask one more:

Is the Romulan faction a COMPLETE faction, as defined by what the other factions offer?

NO IT MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT

/THREAD
    Actually... we don't know what all of those are....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I for one am not surprised as to how they are rolling out the Romulan faction. I always thought that if they were added they might be more like Death Knights in WoW. Death Knights are a faction in WoW, they have their own unique mounts, citadel and origin story. However, Death Knights are also asked to seek aid in fighting from either the Alliance or Horde.

I for one am thrilled that this is how they've chosen to implement the Romulan faction. My fed fleet is JUST now getting near T5 on fleet building. I would HATE to have to start from scratch all over.

Romulans picking sides makes perfect sense if you consider the fact that the Romulan story is meant to be a prequel to the events in New Romulus.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wilv wrote: »
    I for one am not surprised as to how they are rolling out the Romulan faction. I always thought that if they were added they might be more like Death Knights in WoW. Death Knights are a faction in WoW, they have their own unique mounts, citadel and origin story. However, Death Knights are also asked to seek aid in fighting from either the Alliance or Horde.

I for one am thrilled that this is how they've chosen to implement the Romulan faction. My fed fleet is JUST now getting near T5 on fleet building. I would HATE to have to start from scratch all over.

Romulans picking sides makes perfect sense if you consider the fact that the Romulan story is meant to be a prequel to the events in New Romulus.

Nobody, but nobody, considers Death Knights a unique faction, nor has Blizzard ever tried to pawn them off as a third faction. Nor does anybody consider Pandaren a unique faction.
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like to mention, as was posted earlier, the KDF was considered a faction at launch and had almost nothing going for it.

You had to play Fed until level 5
    To gain xp it was pvp or exploration missions or 8 story missions (I think not sure of the exact number)

There were no fleets, starbases, or embassies

So IN MY OPINION the Romulans are a faction. The best description of them was for an expansion of a pen and paper rpg put out by Last Unicorn Games in that the government had a fleet, each of the senators had a fleet, the Tal Shiar had a fleet, the praetorian guard had a fleet so I find it very believable that one or more of the various factions in the RSE could side with either Starfleet or the KDF
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013

That problem could have been solved by adding defection to the game, which would be so much better than adding a fraction.
    My KDF character was started as soon as my Federation character reached level 5. My KDF character joined a KDF fleet immediately. Also, no fleets on either side had starbases or embassies at that time. None of that changes the fact that Cryptic is adding a Romulan fraction, not a faction.
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like to mention, as was posted earlier, the KDF was considered a faction at launch and had almost nothing going for it.

You had to play Fed until level 5

Correct.
    To gain xp it was pvp or exploration missions or 8 story missions (I think not sure of the exact number)

Also correct.

Incorrect - you could make a KDF Fleet right from the beginning - you could invite anyone in the KDF to join it. You could also team up with other KDF - all KDF to do missions, PvP/PvE etc.
    So IN MY OPINION the Romulans are a faction.

The Romulans aren't a faction - at best you could call them two factions since KDF-Roms and Fed-Roms will be unable to team or join a Fleet together.

It may never affect a player's experiences in this game and they might be a happy Romulan until the servers burn out. But it will affect the experiences of those that wanted a Romulan Fleet or to play RSE Romulans.

Cryptic has twisted the story to fit its limited design goals and some Romulan fans are upset by that. I think they have a right to be - you may not.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seriously? You don't actually think Death Knights are a faction do you?

Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And all this is why the Romulans will now be footrests for the mighty Federation and Klingon Empire. Because you guys WANT IT :D

You do not mind losing independence.
    You do not mind the idea of the Romulans living with Klingon and Federation troops and warships watching over you now, and not being done by the Romulan military.

Put it this way: The Romulans are being divided up by the Federation and Klingon Empire, and your people, resources, and warships are going to fight in a foreign (and very costly) war that you originally had no concern with whatsoever previously. Now you get to have the pleasure of seeing your own people fight and kill each other on behalf of the Federation and Klingons in their own disputes. Never mind there's untold millions left of Romulans and Remans after the destruction of the homeworld. But whatever, the Romulans are in no position to dictate their fates.

They cannot even keep back their own people, their own military from fighting in a war that was none of their business. Once you accept the gifts from a foreign power, especially a power that has more strength than you, then you have to give back in return, and you can't say no :cool:

Anyways, the upcoming Romulans are indeed a faction. But what they're exactly going to be is a Subfaction. They will be lesser than what the KDF had at the beginning of STO. They don't even get their own bases. They don't even get to fight as the Romulan Empire, whether it be Romulan Star Empire or New Empire. They will be fighting as Federation and Klingon Empire lackeys and proxies. At least the KDF in the beginning of STO, stripped down to what it was, was a basic, independent faction completely driven on its own and at war against the Federation. It was not subservient to the Federation. It was not allied with the Federation. And we don't have Klingon warships being siphoned off to fight on behalf of the Federation.

The Romulans in May cannot say the same.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, just because you don't find it important...it's okay.
    Because when you don't find it important it doesn't matter.:confused:

It is relevant because these are features that are relevant for the full experience of the faction.
    They are not there so the full experience is missing and thus the full faction is not really there.

Nope. I'm just saying that different players have different views of what's the most important. Not all of us are so easily discounting the good just because a few pieces are missing.

The post I responded to claimed Romulans fail as a faction specifically for those reasons. My response indicated that while those may be shortcomings, it by no means destroys the faction for everyone.

I very carefully did not end my post with "/THREAD" because I do NOT believe my personal opinion trumps everyone else's.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But it will affect the experiences of those that wanted a Romulan Fleet or to play RSE Romulans.

Even if the Roms had their own fleet and fleet holdings, playing as part of the RSE was likely never in the cards. Anyone who expected to be able to play a RSE officer flying a IRS were fooling themselves.
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Even if the Roms had their own fleet and fleet holdings, playing as part of the RSE was likely never in the cards. Anyone who expected to be able to play a RSE officer flying a IRS were fooling themselves.

And playing Romulan-Fed or Romulan-KDF can be...pfff, no thanks.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And playing Romulan-Fed or Romulan-KDF can be...pfff, no thanks.

I get it, some people don't want to be part of either the KDF or Fed. For me, the way they did it means I'll actually play a Rom, now that I can join my existing fleet. Otherwise I would of made it though the story line and never log in again.

But I get it, some people aren't happy, and I understand why.

But even if they hadn't had you join one side or the other, there was no way you were ever going to be part of the RSE.
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    I get it, some people don't want to be part of either the KDF or Fed. For me, the way they did it means I'll actually play a Rom, now that I can join my existing fleet. Otherwise I would of made it though the story line and never log in again.

But I get it, some people aren't happy, and I understand why.

But even if they hadn't had you join one side or the other, there was no way you were ever going to be part of the RSE.

I know, but I have 3 FEDs and 2 KDF (one more incoming) chars. If I will play a Romulan I will feel like a mercenary. I like inmersion, dont need not inmersive new content but hey, it just my opinion. Players should play all they want/like and I dont like the Legacy of Romulus, thats all.
  • Options
    brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They wouldn't have their own unique species (Remans and whatever might come)
    They wound't have there own backstory (New Romulus prequel
    they wouldn't have their own ships (Fed/ KDF don't get to fly Romulan ships)
    They wouldn't have their own uniforms
    They wouldn't have their own home base
    They wouldn't have their own UI
    They would be playing KDF Fed missions from 1-50

Everything I said above! So yes, it would have been a huge difference.

Ok they have a backstory, so does every race in the federation.
    They don't have their own uniforms, look right their, Feds and KDF have acess to the embassy uniform.
    From what weve hered they will have a home base accessable to both factions
    What weve heard, They havnt promised a new UI.
    And they said that Romulans are gonna level from 1 to 10, then join KDF or Fed, So they will be playing KDF/Fed missions for levels 10-50...

So. Are they a faction. Well, they are a faction for 10 levels. I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Meh the haters will complain while all the time throwing money at lockbox keys (which they hate as well) but you never see them actually vote with their wallets.

It's all just noise to be laughed at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    In your opinion, based on little to no real information.

This is perhaps the single best line to sum up every Romulan thread on the forums right now in general.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    This is perhaps the single best line to sum up every Romulan thread on the forums right now in general.

I don't need any more info too know that the Romulans are not a full faction, they not even a faction by other mmo's standards. It a race choice with cool content of its own , its not a third team(faction). It is what its and probally be fun , but I will never call it a faction tell the Green Team actually exist in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Meh the haters will complain while all the time throwing money at lockbox keys (which they hate as well) but you never see them actually vote with their wallets.

It's all just noise to be laughed at.

I've never bought a lockbox key. I don't even pick up lockboxes.
  • Options
    shadow88030shadow88030 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't normally post, but c'mon people.

Haters will definitely hate, and never be pleased. However, I'm one of those that plays the game because I am a true Trek fan and this is my only Trek outlet. ANYTHING that adds content to the game is a plus, in my opinion.

It may not be the total faction that people wanted, but what did you expect with the previous season's story set-up? The implementation completely makes sense with the story they've set up, and seems to be a massive influx of new material no matter which way you look at it.

STO is a much smaller game compared to other MMO's, and must be compared as such. Our 'expansions' are NOT and NEVER will be as big as others, and we have to accept that. In my eyes, LoR is Cryptic throwing us the best bone they can, and I appreciate it. It may not be the giant miracle we hoped for, but it IS enough to be appreciated.
    Starfleet: Persephone, Silas, Alexandra, Purrs-a-lot, Insanity, Alala, Nicki Minaj, Apathy and Liz Lemon
    KDF: Absolution, Vox, Vadim, Sammiches and Unknown Refugee
    Member of Network 23 FED and Imperial Legion
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've never bought a lockbox key. I don't even pick up lockboxes.

Yep that is the tagline of every ranter, it's far from the truth however, I won't mention names because we are real life friends but I know of two of the biggest complainers on these forums, keep having issues with their SO's because they spend so much on LB keys.

But they hate them...oh how they hate them (as they buy another ten pack :rolleyes: )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yep that is the tagline of every ranter, it's far from the truth however, I won't mention names because we are real life friends but I know of two of the biggest complainers on these forums, keep having issues with their SO's because they spend so much on LB keys.

But they hate them...oh how they hate them (as they buy another ten pack :rolleyes: )

Well said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My two cents arent worth much but here they are.

It seems to me the real problem is What the Definition of Faction is.

The people who are posting about this not being a Romulan Faction were expecting to be able to join the Romulan Star Empire. What they got was the Romulan Republic.

I see this as similiar to someone being told Yes come on over and join the Roman Empire We are the biggest in all of Europe. Only when the person gets there what they find is the Roman Republic and its about the size of the City State of Athens.

Instead of being involved in one of the big baddies from the series, complete with all the bells and whistles, they have been given a fixer upper. Something that needs WORK and HELP in order to bring it out to its fullest.

This is what the KDF has been dealing with for a long time. and my guess now is both the Republic and the Empire will be in the dark for a long time to come, before either one can fully see it self as a full fledged faction.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    levdarkenlevdarken Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ya know. The more I read you peoples junk the more I think yer just a buncha childish starwars fans with absolutely no brains. You don't like how STO is goin? Get that frack out then. Goodbye, no one needs you, take a hike, go skydiving without a parachute and go splat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The people who are posting about this not being a Romulan Faction were expecting to be able to join the Romulan Star Empire. What they got was the Romulan Republic.

That has nothing to do with it. I'm in the "calling this a faction is bollocks" camp, but I have no problem with playing as the "Romulan Republic". I think it's a really interesting idea and worth exploring, although I was initially under the impression that the Republic was going to be different from the "New Romulan Empire." Ideally, the former would be engaged in Civil War with Imperials, while the "New Romulan Empire" would be a break-away splinter group of secessionists.
  • Options
    vonrattusvonrattus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    levdarken wrote: »
    Ya know. The more I read you peoples junk the more I think yer just a buncha childish starwars fans with absolutely no brains. You don't like how STO is goin? Get that frack out then. Goodbye, no one needs you, take a hike, go skydiving without a parachute and go splat.

You know what? That sort of argument works oth ways. Don't like the criticism of the new Romulan Faction? Don't go to the forums. Also, isn't it a bit hypocritical to call anyone who disagrees on you on this matter names and tell them that they should die? I'm going to assume you are a troll.

My two cents arent worth much but here they are.

It seems to me the real problem is What the Definition of Faction is.

I see this as similiar to someone being told Yes come on over and join the Roman Empire We are the biggest in all of Europe. Only when the person gets there what they find is the Roman Republic and its about the size of the City State of Athens.

Instead of being involved in one of the big baddies from the series, complete with all the bells and whistles, they have been given a fixer upper. Something that needs WORK and HELP in order to bring it out to its fullest.

This is what the KDF has been dealing with for a long time. and my guess now is both the Republic and the Empire will be in the dark for a long time to come, before either one can fully see it self as a full fledged faction.

It does seem like quite the switch and bait. Even worse than the Roman/Romulan Republic comparison, since the Romulan Republic storyline apparently involves us (the players) actively overthrowing the RSE as freedom fighters... Also the fact that we have to choose which faction (KDF or FED) we want to be a protectorate of.
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Well said.

...so, yeah, forget to switch out your sockpuppet accounts or something?

Anyway, to reiterate what many have said...

It's not so much the quantity, maybe not even the quality, that makes the incoming Roms not a faction. It's the lack of agency. The gormless, feckless bunny-chasers of New Romulus are being presented as unable to even have their own agenda to advance and cannot band together, instead being forced to ride along in the Fed or KDF bandwagon. If the New Romulan faction split into two sides along the lines of its own civil strife, that would be one thing, but instead they're just remoras who have to attatch themselves to the actual big fish in order to get anywhere.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok they have a backstory, so does every race in the federation.
    They don't have their own uniforms, look right their, Feds and KDF have acess to the embassy uniform.
    From what weve hered they will have a home base accessable to both factions
    What weve heard, They havnt promised a new UI.
    And they said that Romulans are gonna level from 1 to 10, then join KDF or Fed, So they will be playing KDF/Fed missions for levels 10-50...

So. Are they a faction. Well, they are a faction for 10 levels. I guess.

They do have their own uniforms; someone has already posted a thread displaying some of them. They have promised a new UI, shown us images thereof, and they are partially on Tribble now. The Romulan content does not end at level 10, that's just when you character will have to decide on future alliances. Cryptic expects the Romulan captains to hit level 40 before running out of faction-specific content.

Check the dev tracker and dev sources for better info. The rampant speculation on the forums is often not based on fact, but perception and opinion.