test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Everyone gets a new UI with different color schemes. Consider this: Orions have their own uniforms. They will have their own UI color scheme. They have their own ships. Why aren't they considered to be a mini-faction? Because they don't have their own leveling quests? A bit arbitrary if you ask me.

I was responding to an inaccurate comment that there would be no new UI, that none was promised, etc. You seem to be reading intent beyond what was said.

However, I'll bite on the leveling quests part. There is nothing arbitrary about that; it's a unique storyline that helps define the faction. The Orions don't have a unique storyline of there own in STO.

That was also a reason why early on it was hard to think of the KDF as their own "real" faction; they had very little unique storyline to define them. They were pretty much a monster play group for PvP. For those of us who are not PvPers, this did not add much.

Once the devs started adding a little storyline flavor, the KDF became a little bit more interesting to me, but only as a change of pace, because there still wasn't much of the content that I enjoyed. Now, it if they have fleshed out the KDF story as it appears from their comments, I'll have three different paths with three different factions. Sounds like fun to me. :)
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess I'm just more in the camp of, "Look at the past, and appreciate what you get."

I agree, if you're not happy with LoR, then feel free not to participate, I understand that. But spreading negative feedback that potentially discourages people from appreciating the new content (in light of the past) is a bad idea. We must keep perspective. Releasing this much content is a positive move. Some people will not be happy because it doesn't meet the hopes and dreams of a fully realized manifestation of Romulus, but it is more than we've gotten before and they've obviously been working hard to deliver this much.

EDIT: Before anyone says it though, I am aware that people who want to "appreciate" the game are free to not read the negative posts and not pay attention to other people's opinion. However, sometimes these things are hard to avoid and do, respectively.

Pretty much, and honestly it's like the hate machine is here solely to be in a "perpetual" state of crying about whatever. They cry when there is no content they cry when there is new content (because it's never ever right or enough) they cry when something is changed they cry when it's not.

Yet nothing Cryptic has or can do will get them to leave and in most cases stop buying from the C-store, that basically relegates all their complaining to just noise.

Maybe Cryptic should start just flagging their forum accounts for Nonconstructive trolling like Neverwinter and CO does....that way at least we can have a place to discuss the game without the "I hates it forever" BS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    You mean they are going to remove the same faction requirement from all missions? Currently you can't do e.g. Tau Dewa patrol, New Romulus/Defera/Nukara missions with the other faction. I would be happy if they did that.
    I may have misunderstood, but the way I understand it, if you're a Romulan allied with Fed, you can team with other Romulans or Feds.

It gets complicated when you toss in a scenario like a Red alert. If the team leader is a Fed, he can only invite Fed allied Romulans. That's the easy part. But what happens if the team leader is a Fed allied Romulan? AFAIK they will be able to invite both KDF allied Romulans and Feds to the team. I'm hoping this will let us stuff Feds and KDFallies on the same team.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the original poster.

Some people are really are a bunch of nasty ungrateful, miserable bunch of sour headed idiots. This game is free, FREE! Cost a bomb to make at the expense of thousands of man hours work.

I work as a security officer in a server house in the UK. The servers have a 24hour call out. If anything goes wrong with them staff are called out at anytime of the day or night or holiday to fix it. Many members of staff work long into the night to keep the servers and the products on them in tip top condition. I'm talking working 12 hour shifts plus.

All to keep the client(s) happy.

I bet many STO devs read this and recognize exactly what i mean.

You miserable little whiners need a reality check.

If this is not trolling...then I failed to understand the meaning of it. Or perhaps could be perceived as an altrusitic being :D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The real problem is that you're expecting this community to behave rationally.

While you expect everyone else to line up with your way of thinking -- it's that or nothing .

"Critical thinking is what I do !"

Still at it I see ... . :o
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    That was also a reason why early on it was hard to think of the KDF as their own "real" faction; they had very little unique storyline to define them. They were pretty much a monster play group for PvP. For those of us who are not PvPers, this did not add much.

That's partly why I feel like I do about the Romulans. KDF was considered to be a full faction despite the lack of story missions. What if they had been merged into the Federation instead? I don't really care about PvP in STO either but usually factions in conflict make the story more interesting and 3 factions is almost always better than 2.

I hope Ask Cryptic was simply misleading about the nature of the Romulan faction and that those Romulan lockboxes will never happen.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I may have misunderstood, but the way I understand it, if you're a Romulan allied with Fed, you can team with other Romulans or Feds.

It gets complicated when you toss in a scenario like a Red alert. If the team leader is a Fed, he can only invite Fed allied Romulans. That's the easy part. But what happens if the team leader is a Fed allied Romulan? AFAIK they will be able to invite both KDF allied Romulans and Feds to the team. I'm hoping this will let us stuff Feds and KDFallies on the same team.

How could you possibly come to that conclusion? When a Romulan picks a side, they're going to be flagged to that faction, and will behave as a member of that faction. There is simply no evidence to believe otherwise, AND allowing Romulans (but nobody else) to pull players from both sides would be grossly imbalanced.
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually, smokey has the right of it. It's been over 3 years since Cryptic has done ANYTHING of significance concerning the UFP-KDF war. And here the ROMULANS are being used as a tool to facilitate an escalation of the war, which doesn't concern them, yet forces them to pick a side, resulting in Romulan vs Romulan combat...

Sorry. It's stupid in my opinion.

Quotd for truth. Aside from forcing Romulans into a another Civil War, it forces them into what is now a meaningless Fed-KDF War.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    How could you possibly come to that conclusion? When a Romulan picks a side, they're going to be flagged to that faction, and will behave as a member of that faction. There is simply no evidence to believe otherwise, AND allowing Romulans (but nobody else) to pull players from both sides would be grossly imbalanced.
    What's your basis for this? A Romulan allied with Feds is NOT a member of the UFP...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What's your basis for this? A Romulan allied with Feds is NOT a member of the UFP...

We are basically arguing semantics. Romulans must "ally" with a side to get access to Starbses and endgame content, which also means access to consoles. They will be KDF/Fed in everything but name only.

You can roleplay all you want to, but will eventually be fighting under the banner of the UFP/Klingon Empire in the endgame and anything Starbase related.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    We are basically arguing semantics. Romulans must "ally" with a side to get access to Starbses and endgame content, which also means access to consoles. They will be KDF/Fed in everything but name only.

You can roleplay all you want to, but will eventually be fighting under the banner of the UFP/Klingon Empire in the endgame and anything Starbase related.
    Umm.... most "endgame" content has Feds fighting alongside Klingons..... Adding Romulans doesn't change anything. :p

It's really too early to make comments about whether Romulans are seperate in name only. We don't know yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013

My basis is that they're going to be using their "Ally's"' queues, equipment, DOffs. When a Romulan queues for something, say, or tries to purchase Task Force Omega gear, the game won't see a Romulan, it will see a Fed or a Klingon.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My basis is that they're going to be using their "Ally's"' queues, equipment, DOffs. When a Romulan queues for something, say, or tries to purchase Task Force Omega gear, the game won't see a Romulan, it will see a Fed or a Klingon.
    Yeah... you're getting into conjecture here. We don't have that information yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    viaxaviaxa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    its a RACE with race specific ships that has to join an existing FACTION for Fleets, Starbases, and probably PVP and STF queues.

Its bad design and shows a lack of respect for the community within the decision making processes (or lack thereof) that goes on within Cryptic.

their current excuse dosent really hold water from a design or from a lore standpoint, if they didnt want to burden romulans with the massive grind for starbase construction then they could just tweak the numbers or apply a massive percentage boost/dedication in materials time and quantity.

from a lore point hobus blew up almost 20 years ago, so after a civil war that lasted maybe 4 years i doubt the entire species just sat there and twiddled their thumbs and furreled their brows until 2409
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not a faction, it's a playable race with semi-exclusive ships.

As far as I know, it won't even have unique chat channels.
    viaxa wrote: »
    from a lore point hobus blew up almost 20 years ago, so after a civil war that lasted maybe 4 years i doubt the entire species just sat there and twiddled their thumbs and furreled their brows until 2409
    Actually, I think that's exactly what they did. The greatest deception the Romulans ever perpetrated was convincing the galaxy that they (Romulans) were deceptive in the first place.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry... But Cryptic is marketing it as a faction like UFP and KDF.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. :P
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.

Basically if you use the alien selection and made your own Romulan in either faction, the end of the day you will end up where Cryptic is taking Romulans in May. Do it now and avoid the rush.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2013
    Basically if you use the alien selection and made your own Romulan in either faction, the end of the day you will end up where Cryptic is taking Romulans in May. Do it now and avoid the rush.

Execpt the romulan specific missions
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Or ships or ground costumes.
  • Options
    roman1229roman1229 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I tell you, STO fans just LOVE to complain. They won't say what they wanted to have, but they sure can tell you how lousy whatever new that is being added to the game is. And then this notion of having Romulan SBs at **** launch. How long have myself and other been building the SBs we've been working on now? And now these people want another SB to grind and build for the next year?!

Some people just can't be satisfied about anything, yet they play this game over and over again (even though it stinks according to them).

I'm really looking forward to the new faction, and when problems come up I'll address them then, and not spend the next 2 months blasting something I haven't even gotten my hands on yet.
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    roman1229 wrote: »
    I tell you, STO fans just LOVE to complain. They won't say what they wanted to have, but they sure can tell you how lousy whatever new that is being added to the game is. And then this notion of having Romulan SBs at **** launch. How long have myself and other been building the SBs we've been working on now? And now these people want another SB to grind and build for the next year?!

Some people just can't be satisfied about anything, yet they play this game over and over again (even though it stinks according to them).

I'm really looking forward to the new faction, and when problems come up I'll address them then, and not spend the next 2 months blasting something I haven't even gotten my hands on yet.

I dont Love to complain. I say I dont want a new faction divided. Do you see FED or KDF divided?. I dont like the storyline excuse. I dont need to wait 2 moths, Romulans will be a factiond divided and this is a fact. All I want is a better viable options for Romulans. Witch is the best Cryptic/PWE response?: Blah blah blah...If you dont like it, dont play a Romulan, end of history. Witch is the players (some players) response?: Dont complain, go go go Cryptic or go go STO, haters be haters, FED is the 80% of player base so give us something usefull, you will get new ships, new story, new costumes so deal with it and enjoy, etc etc etc.

How do I feel as Romulan fan?: I am the bad guy because I am triying to destroy STO, go figure.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Agreed. But it doesn't matter how much we point out the few facts we know based on the Ask Cryptic and dev comments, the lack of a starbase and Romulan-specific PvP is the only basis some players will look at.

The rest of us will enjoy playing the Romulan faction content -- perhaps without even noticing whatever alliance we chose -- until endgame, and not even all of that is different from what we currently have (e.g., Fed/KDF alliances against the Borg, etc.).

The fact that the Romulans have their own pretty well fleshed out storyline and so forth doesn't matter to them.

To those players for whom faction-specific starbases and PvP (not allied) is the key, Romulans are not a faction. To those who are not as concerned with those elements, the Romulans are a faction.
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    Agreed. But it doesn't matter how much we point out the few facts we know based on the Ask Cryptic and dev comments, the lack of a starbase and Romulan-specific PvP is the only basis some players will look at.

The rest of us will enjoy playing the Romulan faction content -- perhaps without even noticing whatever alliance we chose -- until endgame, and not even all of that is different from what we currently have (e.g., Fed/KDF alliances against the Borg, etc.).

The fact that the Romulans have their own pretty well fleshed out storyline and so forth doesn't matter to them.

To those players for whom faction-specific starbases and PvP (not allied) is the key, Romulans are not a faction. To those who are not as concerned with those elements, the Romulans are a faction.

And some PvE end game events (not allied) is the key too.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My pseudo Romulan is actually a Vulcan. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2013

When you max level which takes this game about a week, you pick one side or the other according to Dstahl. So endgame is the same.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    One thing I had missed in the Ask Cryptic was that Romulans can indeed create their own Fleets, with other Romulans of the same allegiance with or without members of the allied factions.

They still don't have their own starbases, but a Romulan player can create a Romulan fleet without having to include Fed or KDF players.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm with the OP on this one. The Romulan Republic is a faction. Although I admit that it's not quite as some have expected it, the RR will be its own faction.
    I don't get why people get the term "alliance" mixed up with "subjugation". The KDF and Fed. helped these Romulans stand on their feet again, building New Romulus with them, so it's natural at this point that they'll be allied with them.

And don't tell me that PvP mumbo-jumbo that Romulans will kill Romulans for the Feds and KDF. If we look at it like that, then Feds. kill Feds. in PvP for the sake of fun, can't see the Federation breaking apart over it.
    This is merely a choice a Romulan commander will make in terms of who does he/she want at his side when engaging the Tal'Shiar, Borg, Tholians, etc., a Klingon warrior or a Starfleet officer.
    A Romulan commander will wear Romulan uniforms, have Romulan insignia, will fly a Warbird with R.R.W. prefix, enjoy Romulan Ale in the faction-specific hub, answer to his/hers Romulan superiors and immerse in unique content. So, yeah, it is in fact a faction. Go figure? How does being allied with someone instantly make you their lapdog I will never understand.

This was completely how I felt up until I gave it some more serious thought. The only thing which changes this is FLEET SHIPS. If you think about it - the chances are no Romulans will actually end up flying Romulan ships because they will have outgrown T1-4 and the C-store T5 ships won't be as good as fleet ships.

You'll get Romulans flying about in B'Rels and Fleet Defiants. THIS upsets me. I would be completely 100% behind you if they added Romulan Fleet ships exclusive for Romulan Characters (allied to both FED and KDF) and didn't allow them to fly FED/KDF ships - but that's never going to happen.

Starbases/DOffs I can get behind. Yes it's a little weird to have 5 Romulan Bridge Officers and a crew of 200 orions, klingons and gorn - but that's a small sacrifice I'd be happy to make.

But please Cryptic, don't make them able to fly standard c-store and fleet ships from their allied factions, it's a terrible idea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.