test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

Comments

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure why people were expecting a full Romulan faction, the way the story was going... let me explain.

The Romulans lost their homeworld during the Hobus incident, and as a result of which, suffered a bunch of civil wars and various big issues overtime. Not only was there the Tal'Shiar and the regular Romulan empire, there was now a New Romulan Empire founded on New Romulus by D'Tan and the Remans recently.

Long story short, the Romulans are too splintered, too divided to be the faction many were expecting, or wanted :( They've barely got the resources needed to keep up their fleets and planets, much less spring up full-tiered starbases willy-nilly. How can there be a singular Romulan Star Empire faction with so many splintered groups?

On another note, people ask why they're helping their allies, when Romulans have always been xenophobic? Well the answer is fairly simple I think: without help, the Empire will never rise, and they'll likely all die. For now, they've got to put that aside and accept help, and keep up their end of the bargains in exchange.

For now. There's nothing that said the Romulans will suddenly keep themselves open and accepting people.

Besides, the Romulans choosing which faction to help at a point in the story doesn't change anything. They become allies, NOT part of the chosen faction. They help their allies with their issues, but they do not fight for them, just with them. There's a difference that many seem to be missing...

Tl;dr The Romulans are accepting help to rebuild their empire, and keeping up their deals in exchange. Nothing more, nothing less imo

My two cents
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the original poster.

Some people are really are a bunch of nasty ungrateful, miserable bunch of sour headed idiots. This game is free, FREE! Cost a bomb to make at the expense of thousands of man hours work.

I work as a security officer in a server house in the UK. The servers have a 24hour call out. If anything goes wrong with them staff are called out at anytime of the day or night or holiday to fix it. Many members of staff work long into the night to keep the servers and the products on them in tip top condition. I'm talking working 12 hour shifts plus.

All to keep the client(s) happy.

I bet many STO devs read this and recognize exactly what i mean.

You miserable little whiners need a reality check.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
    Do all KDF players PvP? No.
    Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
    Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
    Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

Now let me ask these questions:

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May)
    Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own backstory? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own ships? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own uniforms? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own home base (Sol, Qono's)? Yes.
    Do the existing factions have their own distinct UI? Yes.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.

THE KDF DO NOT HAVE THEIR OWN EPISODES.

Only the first couple are unique, the rest are ported from the Federation episodes. This is not a full Romulan faction we are getting, no sir.

Its a mini faction not a full faction do not believe the hype.. This company is notorius for lying to its players, but the fanboi's seem to see right past that.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the original poster.

Some people are really are a bunch of nasty ungrateful, miserable bunch of sour headed idiots. This game is free, FREE! Cost a bomb to make at the expense of thousands of man hours work.

I work as a security officer in a server house in the UK. The servers have a 24hour call out. If anything goes wrong with them staff are called out at anytime of the day or night or holiday to fix it. Many members of staff work long into the night to keep the servers and the products on them in tip top condition. I'm talking working 12 hour shifts plus.

All to keep the client(s) happy.

I bet many STO devs read this and recognize exactly what i mean.

You miserable little whiners need a reality check.

You don't like whining and you are whining about it...Ok
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This company is notorius for lying to its players, but the fanboi's seem to see right past that.
    Maybe because some of us don't actually mind, or that we actually consider the reasons why they've changed things, or otherwise thoroughly think things through :P

Cryptic is a game company. Meaning, what they say at one point can and WILL suddenly change as fiances are counted, decisions are made, and things otherwise shift on the other side. So what they say at one point is the truth at the time, but when things change, that doesn't make it a lie.

It just means things have changed, and the new situation has to be taken into account. Taking everything they say as promises... that will merely cause disappointment; better to wait and see about what's actually added, instead of being hung up on the past.

That's what I think
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    THE KDF DO NOT HAVE THEIR OWN EPISODES.

Only the first couple are unique, the rest are ported from the Federation episodes. This is not a full Romulan faction we are getting, no sir.

Its a mini faction not a full faction do not believe the hype.. This company is notorius for lying to its players, but the fanboi's seem to see right past that.

I've chosen neither side in this debate...

But it's pretty obvious to me that certain folks on both sides seem Hell-bent on 'hyping' their particular view on this matter...

Would it be so horrible to just take a wait and see attitude till the stuff actually hits Tribble or Holodeck?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cryptic devs don't know how to fix bugs that have plagued this game since launch, and you expect them to be able to implement add a 3rd faction? come on... they're doing what they do best, take the easy way out... they're giving you 10 levels worth of new missions, maybe a little more if you chose kdf, and then its back to the same ol same ol its always been in romulan ships...

If they knew how to add the faction as a stand alone, they would have done it because it would have opened up even more dilithium sinks for people to pay to win on. We will never see an independent playable faction apart from the feds or kdf.

While the ability to play as a romulan is new and shiny, or will be rather, it wont last... the same grind fest you're doing today will be what you're doing in your romulan... only you'll get one shot by borg torps in your warbird instead of your fleet excelsior.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree. I don't get why people are unhappy with the current implementation either.

BECASUE after reading this ......stuff since beta I now choose to call these fourms star tears online because the tears flow here everyday about everything and no matter what the devs do you cannot make some people happy they will spew venom at the devs no matter what ...and then forget that these people are human beings and once in a while they (devs) do lash back out and I like it when they do because I get tired of a lot on here acting like they are owed something...I men nobody is forcing you to play....it is free after all.....(puts on flame proof gear)
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    They do have their own uniforms; someone has already posted a thread displaying some of them. They have promised a new UI, shown us images thereof, and they are partially on Tribble now.

Everyone gets a new UI with different color schemes. Consider this: Orions have their own uniforms. They will have their own UI color scheme. They have their own ships. Why aren't they considered to be a mini-faction? Because they don't have their own leveling quests? A bit arbitrary if you ask me.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't normally post, but c'mon people.

Haters will definitely hate, and never be pleased. However, I'm one of those that plays the game because I am a true Trek fan and this is my only Trek outlet. ANYTHING that adds content to the game is a plus, in my opinion.

It may not be the total faction that people wanted, but what did you expect with the previous season's story set-up? The implementation completely makes sense with the story they've set up, and seems to be a massive influx of new material no matter which way you look at it.

STO is a much smaller game compared to other MMO's, and must be compared as such. Our 'expansions' are NOT and NEVER will be as big as others, and we have to accept that. In my eyes, LoR is Cryptic throwing us the best bone they can, and I appreciate it. It may not be the giant miracle we hoped for, but it IS enough to be appreciated.

Very well said!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ...so, yeah, forget to switch out your sockpuppet accounts or something?

No was meaning to reply to post 201 I have one account, not five like two of the ex perpetual employees here have.
    Anyway, to reiterate what many have said...

It's not so much the quantity, maybe not even the quality, that makes the incoming Roms not a faction. It's the lack of agency. The gormless, feckless bunny-chasers of New Romulus are being presented as unable to even have their own agenda to advance and cannot band together, instead being forced to ride along in the Fed or KDF bandwagon. If the New Romulan faction split into two sides along the lines of its own civil strife, that would be one thing, but instead they're just remoras who have to attatch themselves to the actual big fish in order to get anywhere.

Political landscapes change all the time get out of mom's basement travel to a library and read world history, especially the history of Asia in the past two hundred years.

God some of you people are so damn myopic, you have to have the story exactly your way in your little box or it isn't "right." :rolleyes:

Could you be any less imaginative?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    krell83stokrell83sto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Have you played KDF???

Yea, they have their "Own Episodes" technically. They have a fraction of the number of Fed only Episodes.

Same with Uniforms, KDF has just about as many as they did at launch, only a couple have been added. Mostly Vet Uniforms, and the one Academy Uniform.

Playable Species: Again yes they have a Few Unique Species but still very few compared to the sheer numbers the Feds have available.

Ships: Worse than Species, as Feds seem to get 3 packs of ships now along with the sheer number they had already. KDF does have it's own ships, but again it's a fraction of the Numbers Feds have, and only 1 KDF 3 Pack.

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    krell83sto wrote: »
    Have you played KDF???

Yea, they have their "Own Episodes" technically. They have a fraction of the number of Fed only Episodes.

Same with Uniforms, KDF has just about as many as they did at launch, only a couple have been added. Mostly Vet Uniforms, and the one Academy Uniform.

Playable Species: Again yes they have a Few Unique Species but still very few compared to the sheer numbers the Feds have available.

Ships: Worse than Species, as Feds seem to get 3 packs of ships now along with the sheer number they had already. KDF does have it's own ships, but again it's a fraction of the Numbers Feds have, and only 1 KDF 3 Pack.

KDF for all its flaws get to have unique ships (so far). Romulan vessels will be part of KDF and Feds. This alone completely undermines the Romulan faction. I don't get why Cryptic didn't just have the Romulans "queue" with whichever faction needed the players.

If you had 1 Klink queue waiting on 2-3 players ... queue Romulans with Klinks. If Feds were missing a player ... queue him / her with Klinks. Or better yet ... ally the 2 MAJOR villains of Trek together - TOS style and delight a whole generation of Trekkers.

:rolleyes:
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulans are not a faction because a choice you make at level 10 will prevent you from doing certain things with other Romulans that didn't make the same choice.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is a Alt 'faction" for fed and kdf players, there are no fleets and starbases, the Romulan player base will be splint between two existing faction and fleets.

this ^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Political landscapes change all the time get out of mom's basement travel to a library and read world history, especially the history of Asia in the past two hundred years.

God some of you people are so damn myopic, you have to have the story exactly your way in you're little box or it isn't "right." :rolleyes:

Could you be any less imaginative?

The Romulans as implemented are a "faction" only to the extent that the Germans, Koreans, Vietnamese, Yemeni, and others were "factions" in the Cold War, nations chopped in half to become client states for either superpower, unable (save for, eventually and bloodily, Vietnam) to even unite in service to a single master.

At least Romulan players will get to pick between being East or West Germany, but the so-called "faction" only has the agency to blow in the wind of the Federation or Klingon Empire.

With the groundwork being laid through integration into the KDF and SFC fleet systems and the forced choice, the prospect of Cryptic letting them actually emerge as a third pole in the future, like China, is negligible. That would require not only more work, but undoing work players will have already put in.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't normally post, but c'mon people.

Haters will definitely hate, and never be pleased. However, I'm one of those that plays the game because I am a true Trek fan and this is my only Trek outlet. ANYTHING that adds content to the game is a plus, in my opinion.

It may not be the total faction that people wanted, but what did you expect with the previous season's story set-up? The implementation completely makes sense with the story they've set up, and seems to be a massive influx of new material no matter which way you look at it.

STO is a much smaller game compared to other MMO's, and must be compared as such. Our 'expansions' are NOT and NEVER will be as big as others, and we have to accept that. In my eyes, LoR is Cryptic throwing us the best bone they can, and I appreciate it. It may not be the giant miracle we hoped for, but it IS enough to be appreciated.

Yes, I expected a true faction, I didn't expect FED or KDF playable Romulans. I like new content as casual player, I don't like Legacy of Romulus as Romulan fan, is this a crime?. I am not a hater, I am a Star Trek fan so I will keep playing this game but I won't play Romulans chars. New romulans episodes, new romulans ships, new romulan costumes, all this things are not enought, sorry for that.

Remember, "If you don't like it, don't play a Romulan". It's a god advice.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    This is perhaps the single best line to sum up every Romulan thread on the forums right now in general.
    Too true. :) There is a giant truckload of speculation, and only a few handfuls of data.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    Romulans are not a faction because a choice you make at level 10 will prevent you from doing certain things with other Romulans that didn't make the same choice.
    Actually, you will always be able to team with other Romulans. At least for Faction independant and Romulan stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually, you will always be able to team with other Romulans. At least for Faction independant and Romulan stuff.

Potentially not, since enemies that appear in Romulan missions will change depending on whether a Romulan chooses to be a Fed or a Klingon.
  • Options
    shadow88030shadow88030 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess I'm just more in the camp of, "Look at the past, and appreciate what you get."

I agree, if you're not happy with LoR, then feel free not to participate, I understand that. But spreading negative feedback that potentially discourages people from appreciating the new content (in light of the past) is a bad idea. We must keep perspective. Releasing this much content is a positive move. Some people will not be happy because it doesn't meet the hopes and dreams of a fully realized manifestation of Romulus, but it is more than we've gotten before and they've obviously been working hard to deliver this much.

EDIT: Before anyone says it though, I am aware that people who want to "appreciate" the game are free to not read the negative posts and not pay attention to other people's opinion. However, sometimes these things are hard to avoid and do, respectively.
    Starfleet: Persephone, Silas, Alexandra, Purrs-a-lot, Insanity, Alala, Nicki Minaj, Apathy and Liz Lemon
    KDF: Absolution, Vox, Vadim, Sammiches and Unknown Refugee
    Member of Network 23 FED and Imperial Legion
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess I'm just more in the camp of, "Look at the past, and appreciate what you get."

I agree, if you're not happy with LoR, then feel free not to participate, I understand that. But spreading negative feedback that potentially discourages people from appreciating the new content (in light of the past) is a bad idea. We must keep perspective. Releasing this much content is a positive move. Some people will not be happy because it doesn't meet the hopes and dreams of a fully realized manifestation of Romulus, but it is more than we've gotten before and they've obviously been working hard to deliver this much.

EDIT: Before anyone says it though, I am aware that people who want to "appreciate" the game are free to not read the negative posts and not pay attention to other people's opinion. However, sometimes these things are hard to avoid and do, respectively.

...and there's the rub...

It's always easier and more enjoyable to point out others flaws and imperfections, than to realize and list ones own.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    shadow88030shadow88030 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess my opinions are rather redundant because I'm one of those people that assumes I know nothing and tends to give people the benefit of the doubt. I really do understand the frustration. I've only been around for a little under two years, so I haven't been waiting as long as some others for significant game improvement.

I just hate to see the positive things that have happened, and are happening, go unnoticed.
    Starfleet: Persephone, Silas, Alexandra, Purrs-a-lot, Insanity, Alala, Nicki Minaj, Apathy and Liz Lemon
    KDF: Absolution, Vox, Vadim, Sammiches and Unknown Refugee
    Member of Network 23 FED and Imperial Legion
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I think someone found out how to use cut-n-paste! ;)
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2013

But if Romulans are a faction shouldn't everything be faction independent? Shouldn't I be able to team for PvP or join a fleet with any Romulan despite any choice they made at level 10?
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You mean they are going to remove the same faction requirement from all missions? Currently you can't do e.g. Tau Dewa patrol, New Romulus/Defera/Nukara missions with the other faction. I would be happy if they did that.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
    Do all KDF players PvP? No.
    Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
    Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
    Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.

The real problem is that you're expecting this community to behave rationally.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    But if Romulans are a faction shouldn't everything be faction independent? Shouldn't I be able to team for PvP or join a fleet with any Romulan despite any choice they made at level 10?

I think when the storyline progresses and the Fed-Klingon war ends, things are going to change pretty dramatically on that end of things.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think when the storyline progresses and the Fed-Klingon war ends, things are going to change pretty dramatically on that end of things.

What war? The only thing to remind us we are at war is open PVP. That sad excuse for a conflict ended when the Borg arrived. Now we have to fight Tholians, Breen, True Way, Star Empire, Undine, Terrans, Fekhiri... Sad that the game is promoted to new players through the war story arc, when ultimately it fails to deliver.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    What war? The only thing to remind us we are at war is open PVP. That sad excuse for a conflict ended when the Borg arrived. Now we have to fight Tholians, Breen, True Way, Star Empire, Undine, Terrans, Fekhiri... Sad that the game is promoted to new players through the war story arc, when ultimately it fails to deliver.

Okay. *pats head*