What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    technocube0technocube0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am using wineskin and this unofficial mac version. I am able to launch the launcher, I am able to log in, it is able to patch, but when I click "engage" the window either disappears and nothing happens or it freezes and nothing happens, pleas advise! I also checked the specifications, they are all compatible. HELP!!!!!!!!

I need help here!!!!
    please help me!!!!
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I need help here!!!!
    please help me!!!!

may need more info...

Anytime its patched, or sometimes when it crashes out of the game strangely, after you hit Engage it may take a long time to load. WHen I say a long time, i mean a really long time, like 10 or 15 minutes... where it will look frozen. If you have exited cleanly or has not had a new patch, it should go through much quicker.

Other than that, you haven't given enough info to go on... need to know stuff about your machine, and if any errors show up in your Console.app errors. You could also try running from inside Wineskin.app Advanced using the Test Run button, so that log files are made that may point to the issues.
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I recently upgraded to a Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, and it's caused an interesting problem with STO, but only in the mac wineskin package.

The particles generated by engine trails go absolutely crazy with flickering brightly-colored polygons taking up half the screen. I haven't been able to take a screenshot of them because I have bad timing or something, but I hope to record some later today.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I recently upgraded to a Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, and it's caused an interesting problem with STO, but only in the mac wineskin package.

The particles generated by engine trails go absolutely crazy with flickering brightly-colored polygons taking up half the screen. I haven't been able to take a screenshot of them because I have bad timing or something, but I hope to record some later today.

just keep trying different in-game graphics settings... like Bloom and such and see if you can get it to go away.
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've currently installed the app and for some reason on my 2012 Macbook Air get stuck at the loading screen (the Legacy of Romulus one). So that's one step closer to the character selection screen...

MBA specs:
    i7 2 Ghz
    8 GB of ram
    256 GB of Flash storage
    Mac OSX 10.8.5
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    coffeemike wrote: »
    I've currently installed the app and for some reason on my 2012 Macbook Air get stuck at the loading screen (the Legacy of Romulus one). So that's one step closer to the character selection screen...

MBA specs:
    i7 2 Ghz
    8 GB of ram
    256 GB of Flash storage
    Mac OSX 10.8.5
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

anytime its patched... let it set at that screen a long time. depending on computer and network speed, it could take 10 to 15 minutes to get past that screen. Theres really nothing I can do to fix that issue, its and underlying problem between what Wine wants to do, and some libraries OSX uses... if there is no patch, it should load in much quicker, so you don't have to wait like that every time.
  • Options
    darkelipse04darkelipse04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hello All,

Has anyone else been trying STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.6.0 with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)?

I have been using the latest developer preview with STO for the last couple of weeks and performance and compatibility seem fine most of the time.

The only issue i've noticed is after an hour to two hours gameplay things start to stutter and lag behind every 20 seconds or so. This happens a little less frequently on the integrated graphics. Exiting STO and relaunching usually fixes this...if not a restart is required.

I'm running an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15 (2Ghz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 3000 - 512MB, AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I also wanted to ask doh if you plan on releasing a new Unofficial STO for Mac 1.7.0 with all your recent Wine updates?
  • Options
    nerthusnerthus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm having a hard time making it work when it used to work in the past.
    Haven't played for a couple of months and I tried to run the game yesterday. It just wouldn't start! So I opened the wineskin and did a test run. It worked! ???

Tried running the icon again... No! Test run again... works! what is this? what does test run do that double clicking the icon doesnt?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nerthus wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time making it work when it used to work in the past.
    Haven't played for a couple of months and I tried to run the game yesterday. It just wouldn't start! So I opened the wineskin and did a test run. It worked! ???

Tried running the icon again... No! Test run again... works! what is this? what does test run do that double clicking the icon doesnt?

one is a Finder OS X app bundle launch... the other calls a system command like running the command line bypassing a few things.

There have been bug fixes around this... if your using an older wrapper you should update.
  • Options
    nerthusnerthus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    one is a Finder OS X app bundle launch... the other calls a system command like running the command line bypassing a few things.

There have been bug fixes around this... if your using an older wrapper you should update.

Well thanks for that! I was using wrapper 2.5.10 and updated to the latest 2.5.12. Now I managed to get into the launcher! excelent! Meke sure you refresh the wrapper after you update if you face the same issue.

I wonder if I can also update the engine used while I'm at it. Shouldn't I expect better performance with the engine 1.7.1D3Dboost or the latest 1.7.2? (I think 1.7.1D3Dboost is better for 3d graphics right?)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nerthus wrote: »
    Well thanks for that! I was using wrapper 2.5.10 and updated to the latest 2.5.12. Now I managed to get into the launcher! excelent! Meke sure you refresh the wrapper after you update if you face the same issue.

I wonder if I can also update the engine used while I'm at it. Shouldn't I expect better performance with the engine 1.7.1D3Dboost or the latest 1.7.2? (I think 1.7.1D3Dboost is better for 3d graphics right?)

I tried the D3DBoost... with it enabled I actually got worse performance in STO... but you can always try it, just switch to that engine and use the registry setting change to enable it. D3DBoost can help, and in some games its made incredible performance gains... but its still preliminary changes that one day will get all the way into main Wine, and still needs a lot of work. Try whatever you want though, always fun to play around with.
  • Options
    aisopleeaisoplee Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I also had problems with UMV 1.6.0.
    After the latest luncher update (You know that small thingy, that evan run before first login), STO didn't work anymore - the WINE Engine is just crashing at startup.

I updated the engine now to WINE 1.7.2. This is fixing the error for me - it runs just as smoothly as before. So if you got problems with the Launcher, try WINE 1.7.2.

I call it UVM 1.6.0.1 for the moment :D
  • Options
    hmallow42hmallow42 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

Has anyone had any luck getting STO on a Mac to recognize a gamepad? I've got a Wii Classic Controller hooked up to my Mac (via a USB controller) that OS X applications can see, but STO doesn't pick it up.
  • Options
    primanoyanprimanoyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Im running on a macbook pro that can run Guild Wars 2 at high settings with no issues, yet when i try to run STO, i get unplayable frame lag no matter how low i set the graphics. is there any fix for this?

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.5

edit: i am trying to use version 1.6.0. should i try 1.5.1 instead?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    primanoyan wrote: »
    Im running on a macbook pro that can run Guild Wars 2 at high settings with no issues, yet when i try to run STO, i get unplayable frame lag no matter how low i set the graphics. is there any fix for this?

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.5

edit: i am trying to use version 1.6.0. should i try 1.5.1 instead?

I have no idea anything about Guild Wars 2... but an Intel HD 3000 is very low end graphics. I have used it though and it will work, but you need to run bare minimum settings. 4GB of ram doesn't help either... that 384mb of ram for graphics comes out of there too.
  • Options
    spazoid1701spazoid1701 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any word on how well this works on osx 10.9 ???
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Any word on how well this works on osx 10.9 ???

Wineskin is working fine on 10.9... so this *should* work unless there is some weird graphics driver bug or something else unexpected. I'll try it out some time when I upgrade to Mavericks. Since Mavericks is free to anyone running 10.6+, there is little reason to not upgrade.
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wineskin is working fine on 10.9... so this *should* work unless there is some weird graphics driver bug or something else unexpected. I'll try it out some time when I upgrade to Mavericks. Since Mavericks is free to anyone running 10.6+, there is little reason to not upgrade.

I've noticed since 10.9 that whenever I run STO black bars appear randomly in Safari. http://i.imgur.com/fcAMaub.png for an example.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm using the 1.6 UMV and a Mac Pro 2010 with a Radeon 7950.
  • Options
    trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have used both versions of the Wine wrapper in 10.9 today, and have had no issues.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • Options
    johnnyjohnny1969johnnyjohnny1969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, it looks like eventually we will only be able to launch STO using ARC....however, ARC does not seem to have a Mac client. What does this mean for Mac users who play STO via the Wine wrapper? Are we still going to be able to play STO?

:cool:
  • Options
    hyugh2hyugh2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For people having problems with the current wrapper, try updating the engine and the wrapper.

First, download Wineskin Winery (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads).

Open Winery and click the + button where it says "New Engine available!" and choose WS9Wine1.7.4. When that finishes downloading and installing, also update the Wrapper version.

You can alternately download the engine directly here: http://www.mediafire.com/wineskin#u3ekk5q5y3fb1.

With the engine installed, we can now update the STO wrapper.

You can do this by right-clicking the STO UMV wrapper and choosing "Show Package Contents." Then double click on the Wineskin app. Click the "Advanced" button, then "Tools."

On the right side, under "Wrapper Tools," click "Change Engine Used." It should show the WS9Wine1.7.4 engine you just installed as available. When that's finished, you can also try updating the wrapper - just click the "Update wrapper" button right above the "Change Engine" button you hit earlier.

Make sure you do a test run to see if the program correctly executes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    During the Season 8 Live Stream Preview today Brandon announced a beta of the Official Mac Client will be released on November 12th!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    During the Season 8 Live Stream Preview today Brandon announced a beta of the Official Mac Client will be released on November 12th!!

Awesome! Cannot wait
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i just wanted to say thank you for working so hard on the unofficial version for so long, therealdoh123. You're awesome.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i just wanted to say thank you for working so hard on the unofficial version for so long, therealdoh123. You're awesome.

I'd also like to thank you Doh, without your efforts I would have never tried STO to begin with and wouldn't have been able to play this long!
  • Options
    akethanakethan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Haven't had time to play this game in so long since i erased bootcamp, but just can't wait until Nov 12th. With all the people who are using your version, it seems like a sure bet to hold me for the next week and a half. Have to say, thanks for putting in all this effort, its people like you that helped the STO team see that mac people are players too.

Cheers therealdoh123, it's great to be back in game again.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    every time i change zone i have to adjust (mostly without success) my keybindings, because every time i set them (for example "S" for directional change in space combat) it automatically jumps to the chat line and it starts typing. REALLY annoying and it makes the game unplayable? please work something out!
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    asches1 wrote: »
    every time i change zone i have to adjust (mostly without success) my keybindings, because every time i set them (for example "S" for directional change in space combat) it automatically jumps to the chat line and it starts typing. REALLY annoying and it makes the game unplayable? please work something out!

you shouldn't be using this... use the official Mac version.

Look here...
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=911681