What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium nerf, official response

Comments

• Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Looks like my reply from this morning has been deleted, so I'll say again that they need to get away from this asian-style "free to play" grindfest business model they've been creating.

PWE is an Asian company running a Free-To-Play game.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    PWE is an Asian company running a Free-To-Play game.

Lol I know, exactly. Is it no surprise they're losing profits? Those kinds of games are not popular here in the U.S. and I'm sure in Europe.

This game didn't used to be anything like that. It's been slowly morphed into it over time and not coincidentally the players have become more and more irritated. They (the suits in charge at PW) need to understand this because continuing on this course will sink the game.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sorry to tell you this, but Elder Scrolls, SWTOR, DC Universe, pretty much every other MMO is now f2p.

This F2P model is what pays the bills. It's what the majority of players of MMOs have voted for with their wallets. Just like the rest of the internet is F2P with ads.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Maybe for the vast majority. But I know I can say from first-hand experience if I had a week's warning, that would be one week I would not have spent gathering undine marks under the auspice I'd be cashing them in later for more than they were worth then.

If I had one day's warning, I would not spent the 4th in the Dyson Battlezone gathering more marks in preparation for Dilithium Weekend.

No, I'm sure the vast majority would still have been irritated and frustrated, but the earlier warning we would have gotten the better. There are a lot of games out there, and if I had gotten a week or more of warning, that would have been a week or more I would have been spent playing another game that wasn't STO.

This isn't to make it out to be a "I hate this change so much I never would have played STO if I knew beforehand." talking point, since I would still be playing STO. I just would not have invested more time than usual if I did not have the goal of stocking up on marks/elite currencies beforehand.
    exactly this and this . if grind in anticipation of a even or grind during the event either way we are playing content for the event . we are still going to login during the event and we will even most likely play content during it , isnt that the true goal of a event to entice us to login .
    the only reason to make this change so radical is to provide data showing players playing content for there PWE metrics. the whole game lately has been corralling players to play certain content to pad metrics plain and simple . this is just another example of this .
    why cant they let the players play the content they want to play and have the same earnings of a unform currency based on time played , which is what dil is the time played currency .
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what they could have and should have done is to leave it as it was and announce that after this event the reward system will be changed with detailed explanations and reasoning.

but no it was done in the worst possible way to aggrevate the community
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well... They failed... Queues are still empty.

Kinda surprised they didn figure out that this would not change anything.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think people are getting angry for no reason at all. I like to look at what cryptic did from their point of view. They want people to be using this time to actually play the game to earn the dilithium rewards.

Sure, people might have "earned" the dilithium by playing the queues, but when you have them stored up for a couple of months, you're spending time sitting there just clicking buttons and adjusting sliders. That's not playing the game. That's just sitting there getting free dilithium every 15 seconds. In the words of Geko, the reputation projects are overrewarding in contrast of his philosophy of 480 dilithium every 15 minutes.

If you have access to a fleet mine, along with the daily from the mining asteroid, during this event, you have the potential to earn 7035 dilithium for what is probably a half hour's worth of work. There are also plenty of other areas in the game that you can spend a short amount of time doing and you can collect quite a bit of dilithium. Losing something that was never meant to be abused isn't going to really impact you that much!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think people are getting angry for no reason at all. I like to look at what cryptic did from their point of view. They want people to be using this time to actually play the game to earn the dilithium rewards.

Sure, people might have "earned" the dilithium by playing the queues, but when you have them stored up for a couple of months, you're spending time sitting there just clicking buttons and adjusting sliders. That's not playing the game. That's just sitting there getting free dilithium every 15 seconds. In the words of Geko, the reputation projects are overrewarding in contrast of his philosophy of 480 dilithium every 15 minutes.

If you have access to a fleet mine, along with the daily from the mining asteroid, during this event, you have the potential to earn 7035 dilithium for what is probably a half hour's worth of work. There are also plenty of other areas in the game that you can spend a short amount of time doing and you can collect quite a bit of dilithium. Losing something that was never meant to be abused isn't going to really impact you that much!

So what about hoarding mining claims for the event? They haven't been nerfed. Why are mining claims so different from marks? Well they're premium items that someone spent money on, while marks are free items that any freebie scrub can get.
    Sorry to tell you this, but Elder Scrolls, SWTOR, DC Universe, pretty much every other MMO is now f2p.

This F2P model is what pays the bills. It's what the majority of players of MMOs have voted for with their wallets. Just like the rest of the internet is F2P with ads.

I play ESO. It's buy-to-play (not quite free-to-play) and it's f2p model is nowhere near as irritating as STO's. It's all about cosmetics and convenience, while STO has been trying to encourage people to buy ZEN for dilithium for a while now and it only serves to make people more and more angry.
  • Options
    lostyuslostyus Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »
    No. Extending the original function of the dil weekend and making the changes after, with plenty of warning would be a good side. Promises were made - live up to them. We were offered simple apologetics - nothing sincere. There is no apology here and certainly no recompense for their wrongdoing.

The face changes, but the **** policies remain the same.
    And **** the players shall be the whole of the policy.

Now I've looked more into it, I don't think it was a good thing they have done, and I disagree with my original statement.
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »
    I played approximately 10% of the time I normally play today, and then most of the time bitterly. It doesn't matter what you make during the week. It will be negated by some other slimy, underhanded move by Craptic. And Ricossa will blurt out fluffy bull**** again, and the weak-minded will buy it again trying to brown-nose their way to some sort of advantage.

Get this through your thick skulls: what Craptic just did they *WILL* do again, just like they have done it in the past as well. Maybe next time it is something that affects your gameplay and/or your reasonable expectations based on what was promised. And you will have nothing but the stench on your noses from the brown-nosing you are doing here to show for trying to play the game.

Maybe then you will finally understand why the brown-nosers and "white knights" are so thoroughly despised.

Next nerf, more of Dyson BZ. Coming soon.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    Next nerf, more of Dyson BZ. Coming soon.

That's an interesting question. Will the BZ still be protected with a new man in charge? Time will tell.

However, before that we will see doffing exp reduced by about 200%
    Marauding missions reduced in availability by a similar amount.
    A change in contraband turnin - either 10 or 20 for 1000 dil.

50 marks for 250 or less dil.

But you can get 248 dil from 1 daily argala patrol.

Just peering into the old crystal ball. Now that we are embracing the new version of the game - let's get all these nerfs enacted so we can move on in peace with nothing further looming.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A change in contraband turnin - either 10 or 20 for 1000 dil.

I was thinking it might go from four to twenty hours, but you're probably right.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I play ESO. It's buy-to-play (not quite free-to-play) and it's f2p model is nowhere near as irritating as STO's. It's all about cosmetics and convenience, while STO has been trying to encourage people to buy ZEN for dilithium for a while now and it only serves to make people more and more angry.

Its only just gone Buy-to-Play, so give it time. I'm guessing that you'll also be buying expansions and that there's no way to earn the equivalent of Zen in-game?
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    billdun wrote: »
    I was thinking it might go from four to twenty hours, but you're probably right.

Your idea is cleaner, but it lessens logins. It will depend on the extent of the marauding nerf. Will contraband actually become scarce? If there's still plenty of it the 24 hours might be more effective.

Many here have boasted of < 3 min a day for 10 or more alts for 8000.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm more upset with the deception part of this whole ordeal. They tried covering it up and that shows a lot about their character. They keep saying they're gonna add more dilithium, they say they're gonna add more SXP, yet they keep taking more and more away from us. There really is no reason to do queues anymore, space content gives way more XP than ground and there's no point doing any ground content for XP reasons. They need to put up or shut up, add all these things they say they're gonna add.
  • Options
    waffleironwaffleiron Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Kudos for coming out to apologize :). Now lets clear the air here. You changed the event rules to :
    ".... to provide the community of Star Trek Online with the opportunity to earn Dilithium at a significantly increased rate on any Dilithium earned through play for the duration of the weekend.......By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year."

So you are saying that all other means of earning dilithium through play are invalid and valueless any other time outside of this dilithium event? If not, then why should mark conversion be any different. This is not an exploit and unacceptable. I played enough content to earn my marks for the dilithium bonus weekend as with any other weekend, what else is there to do with extra marks if not reap the best use of them. :confused:

All this statement says is "sorry, we noticed players are not playing like we want them to, blame the players for exploiting a resourceful and efficient way to grind out a resource that is free. Don't blame us except for the communication error from forums and patch notes."

Thanks, appreciate it. Free game stays free for me, if I bother playing it like you want me to.:mad:

For everyone else that doesn't understand why the frustration, that's because you are comfortable with people taking advantage of you. Even though it's a game, it's a simple example. It's not just a 5 minute turn-in to convert marks to dilithium, there was a grind and play of content involved.:mad:

Want a solution, make the dilithium bonus permanent. Then there's no reason you can take away bonuses from any other methods of "farming" the way players want.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know why they keep dancing around the bush.

Just remove the dil already, it's only whales now left anyway stop pretending
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    I don't know why they keep dancing around the bush.

Just remove the dil already, it's only whales now left anyway stop pretending

Boo hoo, you don't like the game. Guess what? Others do! I do! I haven't spent a penny on the game yet (Unless you count completing questionnaires and watching adverts which PWE get paid for), and I could quite happily live without any bonus weekend, though I do like that its there, and I appreciate that they don't need to offer any way for me to earn Zen in-game.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Boo hoo, you don't like the game. Guess what? Others do! I do! I haven't spent a penny on the game yet (Unless you count completing questionnaires and watching adverts which PWE get paid for), and I could quite happily live without any bonus weekend, though I do like that its there, and I appreciate that they don't need to offer any way for me to earn Zen in-game.

Another dev behind a sock account.....it's getting old.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    And that was your argument for supporting a dil nerf?

okay thanks for coming out
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think there is a connection between your behaviour and your avatar picture

It rhymes with "yay"
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    lol just another nerf because people were not playing they way they wanted is all it is. atleast they are not calling people who saved it up exploiters or cheaters this time.

playing or abusing bonus ?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Its only just gone Buy-to-Play, so give it time. I'm guessing that you'll also be buying expansions and that there's no way to earn the equivalent of Zen in-game?

Not sure since it's still on the test server, but it won't be necessary to earn their Zen equivalent in game if their equivalent won't be useful in the game itself. If dilithium was used only for cosmetic and convenience items in the cash shop it would be no big deal if you couldn't earn it in game, but it's used for like everything now. You even need it to train boffs now.

I'll be getting a few thousand of their Zen equivalent and will most likely save it for expansions. It's not needed for crafting or character slots or bank space or anything - yet. I stress "yet" because who knows what the future holds.

I do know that if they introduce lockboxes I'll drop the game like a bad habit. I find nothing more irritating and aggravating than a lockbox-based f2p system.

STO wasn't always this way either. It was good that you could earn dilithium and buy some cash shop stuff but they've been going overboard adding constant dilithium sinks and now nerfing dilithium rewards. The game barely resembles what I once enjoyed.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Another dev behind a sock account.....it's getting old.

Yes, because everyone who disagrees with you is obviously a dev. Darn it, they've seen through our disguise. But wait. You're attitude is so over-the-top its ridiculous, and nothing you say can be taken seriously, thereby discounting everything you say as nonsense! HE'S A DEV! BURN HIM! Burn the Dev!

... Or you could get over yourself. Your choice.

(PS: I'm not a dev. And to prove it, I shall speak these sacred magic words: Legacy of Romulus was a better expansion than Delta Rising)!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ----stuff

I think that about sums it up,have a nice day :)

Only been around for a couple months and thinks he knows the game. Come back in a year when Craptic keeps crapping on your gameplay, then and we will talk.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes, because everyone who disagrees with you is obviously a dev. Darn it, they've seen through our disguise. But wait. You're attitude is so over-the-top its ridiculous, and nothing you say can be taken seriously, thereby discounting everything you say as nonsense! HE'S A DEV! BURN HIM! Burn the Dev!

... Or you could get over yourself. Your choice.

(PS: I'm not a dev. And to prove it, I shall speak these sacred magic words: Legacy of Romulus was a better expansion than Delta Rising)!

So far only called one a dev. Please, if you can show me where I have called more than one person a dev be my guest. You look silly boy.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So far only called one a dev. Please, if you can show me where I have called more than one person a dev be my guest. You look silly boy.

Your statement of 'ANOTHER dev behind a sock account' is fairly self explanatory. And I might look silly, (I often do, I go out wearing a fez or Stetson (or both) occasionally), but you look like someone who's very very grumpy and unhappy, yet refuses to leave the game and forum they hate. Self-flagellation is not attractive.
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am a lifetimer and STO & Cryptic sucks!
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days