test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium nerf, official response

szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
Mr. Ricossa just released an official statement concerning the recent changes to the dilithium event. It was posted in the bug forum and I thought people might be interested in reading it.

First of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of the Star Trek Online team for the incorrect information posted in the Dilithium Weekend blog and the confusion that followed. Even though the in-game calendar text for the event is correct, we should have made doubly sure that the text in the blog was also correct. We have indeed adjusted the Dilithium Weekend. Unfortunately, the blog did not have the updated event information. I’m going to take it a moment to fully explain these changes and hopefully help everyone understand why these changes were made.

Our goal for the Dilithium Weekend is to provide the community of Star Trek Online with the opportunity to earn Dilithium at a significantly increased rate on any Dilithium earned through play for the duration of the weekend. As the event had been run over the last couple of years, we noticed a trend that fell out of line with the goal of players getting bonus Dilithium on anything they’ve earned through play over that weekend. While the earn rates for Dilithium remained fairly constant for any type of content that provided it as a reward, the earn rate for Dilithium that was collected using the mark conversion projects during the event skyrocketed. When we allowed mark conversion projects to gain a bonus during the Dilithium event, the vast majority of people were only using mark conversion projects during the event. By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year. We are committed to making sure that Dilithium is more available in game, and to that end we are currently working to introduce Dilithium rewards to episode and patrol play by the end of this month.

With that being said, it is understandably frustrating to expect one sort of bonus only to receive another. In order to make up for this error in communication, I will be converting the Dilithium Weekend we are running this weekend into a Dilithium Week. Everyone that logs into Star Trek Online can now earn Dilithium at an improved rate from the time you read this post through February 12th 2015 at 10 a.m. Again, I apologize for the lack of proper information in the blog and I look forward to seeing you in game and earning bonus Dilithium for an entire week.

Stephen Ricossa
Executive Producer
Post edited by szim on

Comments

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lol just another nerf because people were not playing they way they wanted is all it is. atleast they are not calling people who saved it up exploiters or cheaters this time.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 for Stephen Ricossa
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No more extra dilithium for T5 rep reward, you bunch of douches.

Its not like we can claim the reward over and over again ffs.

Douche move and you extending it from 3 to 7 days is pathetic.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    well at least they apologized for the initial mis-post which was my biggest gripe......extending the event is nice too....though I doubt most on this board will care
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    " By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year."

:o:o:o:o

You guys are too funny.

We didn't nerf the rewards. Nooo, we're making the rewards more valuable at times outside the event.

Edit: OP, thanks for posting this here.
  • raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh, boy. The players just got blamed for Cryptic's errors again. Oh, I'm so sorry for trying to make dil from the dil event...

This does nothing to address the problem. It's just gloss. Not good enough. Nothing short of reinstating the +50% for rep mark and rep item will suffice at least for this dil week/weekend (whatever). You can make your policy changes after the event, so that we may adapt to it. Ambushing us and then trying to justify away the ambush is unacceptable.

This does answer one question though. The face changes but the **** policies and childish excuses remain. Nothing is or will be different, apparently.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While I applaud that there is at least a somewhat more timely response, the logic used to explain away the removal of the bonuses seems spurious at best. This seems not unlike a retail chain noticing that sales of a certain item are rather poor except when it is discounted. Rather than either reducing the price overall or seeking some other solution, they just declare that it will never be discounted, stating that it is thus more worthwhile to buy all the time.
  • esquire1980esquire1980 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess there's a silver lining in everything. I fully expect the community for my SWGEMU server to be on the upswing.

Keep it up Cryptic, your doing great.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think they should probably have phased out the extra Dil on Mark conversion. Drop it by 10% each weekend till the bonus vanished. It was fairly blatant given the community here that this would be the reaction, and to drop it with no prior warning was just asking for trouble.

I really can't blame them for dropping the bonus on reaching T5 Rep (As much as I want to - I've got a few Rep's being completed over the next couple of days), as it was a pretty big exploit.
  • kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Agreed. the logic seems a bit strange, but they do get points for actually communicating and explaining the reasoning behind it, especially in a place like this.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't really mind this change, but removing it from the news post was dumb. Furthermore... While the motives for this are legitimate (They're trying to get people to PLAY this weekend, not just convert piles of TRIBBLE they hoarded - The fact that players were allowed to do this in the first place is kind of silly.) it almost feels like this entire change/Dilithium Week thing was rigged (that is, planned from the start) to make Salami look better. "D'Angelo never compensated for nerfs... This guy is! He must be cool!"
    edited February 2015
    "Spurious." Good word. Good description.

I'm tempted to say "fluffy bull****," but spurious is quite good.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    I really can't blame them for dropping the bonus on reaching T5 Rep (As much as I want to - I've got a few Rep's being completed over the next couple of days), as it was a pretty big exploit.

You can only get it once.
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    I think they should probably have phased out the extra Dil on Mark conversion. Drop it by 10% each weekend till the bonus vanished. It was fairly blatant given the community here that this would be the reaction, and to drop it with no prior warning was just asking for trouble.

5 smaller nerf instead of one big one? i'm sure that would go over real well with this crowd. better to rip it off like a bandaid and get it overwith
  • kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 for actually communicating, apologize and actually trying to compensate by extending the dil-weekend to week. I really hope this bodes well for future relations between the community and staff, and it becomes the rule rather than the exception.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well. At least this new guy is making posts, explaining things and offering some kind of repentance. That alone makes him already better than the last guy. I'm not fussed about the reps getting removed (would be nice, I have somehow gathered alot of them) it was more the underhanded quietly edit the blog after the event is started nature that annoyed me. Check the information in these blogs before posting.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I hope they make every event week long. Frankly, the whole limiting it to a weekend sucks for me since I'm a weekday player.
    edited February 2015
    jelly0 wrote: »
    You can only get it once.

actually, many players make alts and farm rep just to do the rep projects, wait for dil weekend, cash in, delete alts and repeat
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While the earn rates for Dilithium remained fairly constant for any type of content that provided it as a reward, the earn rate for Dilithium that was collected using the mark conversion projects during the event skyrocketed.

ORLY?! those of us who grinded content for months while waiting for new content built up a stockpile of marks/tokens with nothing else to spend it on. and when a dilithium event comes along (like it has for the past couple of years), you see the "metrics" skyrocket around that event? really? like this is new information you're surprised to learn?

i am freaking amazed right now...
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    heres a few words in response. 1 MILLION UNREFINED DIL ONLY A 8K DAILY REFINE LIMIT.
    The adjustment made was totally uncalled for, you explanation is BS, it's just all about forcing people to have to play the content Aka GRIND so you can report back to PWE and say look how many people logged on during this event and played xyz missions.

Sorry but we've made too many compromises already, too many retreats,They take our dailies and we fall back, they take away our star clusters and we fall back, the nerf our expertise and we fall back, now they nerf our event rewards, Not again, the line must be drawn here ! This far, no further, And WE NEED TO MAKE THEM PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE !
    edited February 2015
    People are acting like we didn't earn that bonus. In case you didn't notice, we still had to earn those marks and those rep items - and that means playing, playing, playing, grinding, grinding, grinding. This is not some ill-gotten gain. We *EARNED* this benefit, based on what we were told would be the case.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 salamiinferno. Takes care of the mark hoarders and has the cojones to add dil rewards to patrols and missions as well.

I like.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The blog has always said for playing content. Converting marks is not content per se. I'm far from a white knight but they want to reward you for playing, not hoarding. That logic is sound. They want mark conversion to always be rewarding, not just three weekends a year. That logic is sound.

I was a bit disappointed to not get 50% on my hoard pile but I can agree with what the man says.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If this change is meant to make me spend real money, it hasn't worked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    it almost feels like this entire change/Dilithium Week thing was rigged (that is, planned from the start) to make Salami look better. "D'Angelo never compensated for nerfs... This guy is! He must be cool!"

I doubt it's anything that sinister.
    edited February 2015
    The logic is simple:

We were promised X as a benefit, in advertisements for X.
    We are told after our effort that we will be denied X.
    Therefore we were denied what was promised.

Don't make excuses. Provide what was promised.
    Have some decency, white knights. Don't suck (up) in public. Do your brown-nosing in private.

Welcome to STO, Ricossa. Public relations nightmare #1. More to follow in rapid succession.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Points for communication and promptness EP.

This was terrible timing though, if this was going to happen it should have been done alongside rewards getting fixed well and truly, not like this. I can't say I'm particularly happy right now, and while the explanation leaves some to be desired, at least it is communication.

I hope this balance pass on rewards and alt-friendliness that's supposedly in the works is as good as it has been suggested to be, or this is going to come back and bite, people on here are getting depressingly accustomed to being let down it would seem.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's an apology for an error, and a piece of compensation too. That is fair, in my book. Well played, Mr Ricossa.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    An interesting response. Not too sure on the explanation as a whole, but this is the sort of engagement and response that has been lacking on the game for a while.

The ideal situation would have been to provide what was given, but the apology and the extension is certainly a step in the right direction.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.