What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium nerf, official response

Comments

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh great. The new EP is an even worse than the last one.

"We took away the double pudding weekend, to make sure you enjoy all the standard 'single' pudding days you (already) enjoy.

We understand that this is effectively removing all the fun you previously had with double pudding weekend (on the very few occasions it happened per year). But we feel this is best for YOU the player, and not anything at all with us being selfish, greedy, double speaking liars.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Give the guy a chance...at least he is trying...D'angelo would never have done this. Step in teh right direction...small but ok IMO
    Well basically, what Ricossa said was:

I'm sorry you feel mad when we decide to **** you. But hey, why don't you give it a try - we just extended the ****, maybe you even start liking it. Also, we aren't willing to do it less painful as advertised on our homepage. Again I feel really sorry....*insert evil laugh here* Hey dear Boss @ PWE, I think our stupid players bought my cheap fake appology and are finally happy about getting *****.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's this!? A timely response and a sizable extension to the event!? Cryptic is clearly not listening and is trying to kill the game! Clearly!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    What's this!? A timely response and a sizable extension to the event!? Cryptic is clearly not listening and is trying to kill the game! Clearly!

Yes its lovely. Not only does the event not apply to a whole lot of people who hoped to participate, but they can enjoy not participating for a WHOLE WEEK.

AND they told us (after lying to us) so very quickly that we can take part in this event (now largely useless) for a WHOLE week.

Gee whiz, thanks pa!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Yes its lovely. Not only does the event not apply to the people who hoped to participate, but they can enjoy not participating for a WHOLE WEEK.

AND they told us (after lying to us) so very quickly that we can take part in this event (now largely useless) for a WHOLE week.

Gee whiz, thanks pa!

How does it not apply? Isn't dil still being boosted in a lot of places? What's stopping you from, say, Marauding, or the Voth Battlezone?
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    were those "hours and hours" during the dil weekend? if not I don't see why the bonus should apply

maybe if you turned in those marks at the time you wouldn't need a way to turn in a lump amount of marks all at once

Guess you keep missing the point, if people can achieve their 8k per day + hoard some marks and bnps, why should they all of a sudden, out of the blue not be allowed to get the bonus that has been around, since they revamped the whole bonus weekends?

We get changes happen but, to drop the bomb like this, is so Cryptic's style and, extremely asinine of them at the same time!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    How does it not apply? Isn't dil still being boosted in a lot of places? What's stopping you from, say, Marauding, or the Voth Battlezone?

Because alot of people grinded tokens just for this weekend. If they had been an ethical business they would have given far earlier prior notice OR upheld the usual 'deal' for one last time as a show of good will.
  • Options
    orran90orran90 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To hear the people complaining about this, you'd think that dilithium is hard to earn.
  • Options
    amronhassamronhass Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jelly0 wrote: »
    No more extra dilithium for T5 rep reward, you bunch of douches.

Its not like we can claim the reward over and over again ffs.

Douche move and you extending it from 3 to 7 days is pathetic.

I saved my T5 Delta reps to turn in on 4 toons just for this event, and another fleet mate saved it on 8 toons. With all the TRIBBLE PW/Craptic is pulling, we are loosing more and more players. Nerfing DPS, moving hardware over to Neverwinter, and now this? Whoever is making these decisions is a true douchebag.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    TBH I think everyone's overreacting a bit. If you're farming marks for Dil, ya doin it wrong. If handing them in on the weekends is your sole benefit for marks to dil then meh you haven't lost that much.

Just like many other poorly though out then implemented ideas this one was going to be fixed eventually. The EP was pretty damn nice about the changes, even extended the event for people due to the outrage at the changes. Something I've never seen happen in the history of STO.

So if everyone can remove whatever is giving them butthurt and just chill out a bit, they might see it's not quite as bad as everyone is claiming it is.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    fusterius wrote: »
    Her's my problem with this change. With quotes like:

'...The earn rate for Dilithium that was collected using the mark conversion projects during the event skyrocketed.'

and

'The vast majority of people were only using mark conversion projects during the event.'

an overt admission is being made that this was simply the way everyone behaved in the game - everyone. I was certainly looking forward to converting the excess marks I had accumulated through normal play to get dil and crafting mats.

It's not hard to understand that people are going to maximize benefit to themselves, especially in regards to sought-after currency and goods. That one can accumulate marks and one can convert them to dil during an event for 50% more is hardly rocket science. It's the first dil maximizing tactic I noted in the game! Obvious!

That an obvious game mechanic led to obvious player behavior should not be a surprise and should not have required metrics to find in the game. How could this not be the designed, intended behavior? You can't possibly come to me now, after all this time, and say it isn't!

So, you've decided that players should behave differently than you've led us by the nose to behave up 'til now. Ok, fine - change happens in MMOs all the time. What you don't do is stealthily alter this in what is a surprise attack on -=ALL=- of your customers. You could have done this so much better.

1) Announce at the END of a dil event that the next one's rules are changing. And I mean announce it, put out a blog article, post on the forums in multiple areas, have ARC focus on it. Everyone plays like this - you've admitted it - so make certain everyone knows well in advance!

2) Better yet, announce it at the beginning of an unchanged dil event, so people have one last chance to behave like we always have.

3) Change the damned game mechanics to disallow accumulation of marks. Give out auto dil conversions unless you have an active rep project, or some such system. It would be ebtter than the click-fest of converting marks to dil now.

This was a really bad misstep, and extending a now hobbled dilithium event is not compensation. Reverse the event mark conversion rate, and make a big deal out of announcing that NEXT TIME it applies.

How you communicate to your customers counts.

I intend to sit out this dil event until something more is done to rectify this. If the event is now a week, I guess I'll be sitting out a week.

This type of thing is nothing new for Cryptic - and it's this 'Veteran Team' that's bee doing stuff like this since ST launched. It's the whole 'Japori is now labeled as an exploit...' situation all over again as:

- From the LAUNCH of LoR to the time Japori XP rewards were high. It was reported at the LAUNCH of LoR and by players over the course of the year to Cryptic.

the STO Dev team reply: SILENCE; leading players to believe "Okay, this is how they want it to work -- fine by me..." UNTIL a few days after DR hits -- then all of a sudden the EP comes out with "It's an exploit and EVERYONE should have realized this..."

So, now we see, it's not the person in charge of STO that's the problem - it's the entire Veteran Dev team who seem to ignore things en masse until they somehow decide something that they've allowed to be done for years is suddenly 'bad'. I mean this isn't the first Dil weekend we've had BUT it's the first time rewards were DRASTICALLY altered; and sorry but something is wrong when (and again this isn't the first time for something like this either) when a member of the Community Team DOESN'T proofread what's being posted to the News site (or the Dev team DOESN'T BOTHER to communicate a change to the Community team, etc.

All in all it just showcases how SLOPPY the STO Dev and Community teams are when it comes to the development and administration of STO as in addition to the poorly communicated reward nerf in the current Dilithium weekend - this patch also introduced new major bugs that Cryptic STO QA missed again - and that's either due to POOR QA procedures (which again are developed by Cryptic management and simply followed by the QA testers); or insufficient testing time due to the way things are scheduled; which AGAIN highlights a severe problem with Cryptic's game Leads and Managers - as they don't give their QA team enough time to properly test what gets pushed to the Live servers.

I can only say that if this is indicative of a 'veteran' STO dev team, I shudder to think what a less experienced Cryptic dev team would do. In the end, I really am starting to think there's a BIG problem with the way Cryptic handles it's overall corporate culture as (sorry to say) it appears under-qualified and less then competent people get promoted to Lead and management positions - and I say this based on the work product they release to the public; and the attitude they take towards it (IE they will let MAJOR bugs go for a week and stick to their regular patch schedule - and then that patch often adds more bus then it fixes, etc.); and no one in upper management seems overly concerned.
    ^^^
    That's an internal Cryptic Corporate culture issue right there that it seems PWE isn't at all concerned about - and that's just sad.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Guess you keep missing the point, if people can achieve their 8k per day + hoard some marks and bnps, why should they all of a sudden, out of the blue not be allowed to get the bonus that has been around, since they revamped the whole bonus weekends?

We get changes happen but, to drop the bomb like this, is so Cryptic's style and, extremely asinine of them at the same time!

I agree, if cryptic was against mark hoarding they should have put a stop to it a long time ago
  • Options
    echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think, I'll wait and see.

If the Dilithium value of reputation marks doesn't increase with the coming adjustments, the value of reputation marks is nerfed by 50% no matter how many additional ways Dilithium can be earned in the game.

Because all those players cashing in marks during the 4 Dilithium weekends a year were earning those marks during normal game time - oftherwise known as the other 48 weekends a year. If the value of play those other 48 weekends is reduced, it's going to have an impact much greater than what is expected on the 4 special weekends.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, its been a while since they showed us how much they hate us.. I saved literally thousands of marks.. now all useless.. still have to grind out 50 marks at a time for no real payout.. they dont even raise 3 center fingers and say"read between the lines" its just one middle finger after the other.. nerfed Dil, then exp then dil then exp now dil again... and to think I usually allot my limited gaming budget to this game... should probably just start saving it for star citizen I guess...
  • Options
    echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    Well, its been a while since they showed us how much they hate us.. I saved literally thousands of marks.. now all useless.. still have to grind out 50 marks at a time for no real payout.. they dont even raise 3 center fingers and say"read between the lines" its just one middle finger after the other.. nerfed Dil, then exp then dil then exp now dil again... and to think I usually allot my limited gaming budget to this game... should probably just start saving it for star citizen I guess...

It pays better to do the hourly. Don't crunch, just slow roll it. Now that Dilithium weekend is foobar, no need to lose even more cash crunching when you can slow roll it out for a bit more.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The sudden emergence of the term "mark hoarder" makes me laugh. You people are so easy to manipulate - don't you realise that every single mark was earned fairly & honestly by playing the game?

Nobody has ever posted the term "mark hoarder" before now. It's pathetic to see how quick people are to turn on each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    amronhassamronhass Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    actually, many players make alts and farm rep just to do the rep projects, wait for dil weekend, cash in, delete alts and repeat

I seriously doubt that, that is a lot, I mean a LOT of work for 16k dill!
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Yes its lovely. Not only does the event not apply to a whole lot of people who hoped to participate, but they can enjoy not participating for a WHOLE WEEK.

Gee whiz, thanks pa!

I'm not saying what they did is right or anything, but if all people did was come around just to use the dilithium event and cant even fathom playing the game without it then maybe it's time for a new game.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The player base has 4 options. 1. Quit.
    2. Don't reclaim any marks for anything.
    3. flood the market with dil till the price drops to 25
    4. take it and say nothing.

Your pick.
    Dropping the price to 25 rewards cryptic. Raising it to 500 hurts them. They don't make money off dil, they make it off zen.

A 200k fleet project costs 400 zen when the exchange is 500:1, or it costs 8000zen when the exchange is 25:1. Which way do you think cryptic prefers it?

Now, there's a countering force that at 25:1 fewer people want to buy dil so sales drop, but at 500:1 everyone wants to sell zen so it's not linear there's a bell curve of profit. I suspect the max zen per day hit pretty close to 160:1 just from watching volumes, but without a tool to track the exchange like neverwinter has/had its impossible to say for sure.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    TBH I think everyone's overreacting a bit. If you're farming marks for Dil, ya doin it wrong. If handing them in on the weekends is your sole benefit for marks to dil then meh you haven't lost that much.

Yeah, only 500,000.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sweet, now I have 7 days to use all these mining claims.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, at least he was honest. We now know that their goal is for each player to earn their Dilithium as slow and painful as possible.

What I don’t understand is why would it matter? It’s not like we could use the Dilithium right away.

We still need to wait for it to be converted in order for us to use it.

Right now I have roughly just under 500k Dilithium waiting for it to be converted, so even if I wanted to convert that in to Zen to buy a C-Store ship, I would have to wait until the end of March or the beginning April (WOW, around 8 weeks :() to get full use of it.

I guess making players happy is not their top priority.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess there's a silver lining in everything. I fully expect the community for my SWGEMU server to be on the upswing.

Keep it up Cryptic, your doing great.

"pats on the head." Keep dreaming little one, keep dreaming.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for the clarification, and apology as well as your attempt at amends. This is far above what we have had before and is a step in the right direction communication wise. Despite the caustic comments you may see, it is important to keep up communication with the players outside of the occasional developer blog, and twitter post (some of us don't have twitter or facebook accounts thank you :().

I think that the change is completely unnecessary and was poorly thought out.

For one, we still have the 8k dilithium refining cap. No matter how much dilithium a player generates, they can only refine 8k (9.5k if you have veteran reward doff mission and the dilithium mine doff project). This limits the amount of useful dilithium a player generates whether they make the 8k cap a day, or more than that. They still have to log into the game to generate that dilithium whether its by mark conversion, duty officer missions, queued events, or the magic dilithium fairy. At this point, with all the problems players are having, that should be seen as a plus, not a minus.

Another thing is that players are not getting those marks for free. They are generated somehow, mostly by joining queued events, so the idea that players are not playing the game is kinda silly. Players have to play to generate marks. If they have marks from prior events, they have still played the content, and penalizing a player for holding on to them is frustrating (while this change isn't exactly a penalty, it can bee seen as such).

Introducing the change at such short notice at this time, with the current state of the game was a very poor choice. As has been mentioned before, it would have been better to make such an unpopular change right after the current event long in advance of the next one. Dropping this on players with all the problems that have been introduced recently is just pouring gasoline onto a fire.

shpoks wrote: »
    Well, I'm not liking it nor am I in much agreement with this. However....

....4 days on the job and already topped D'Angelo! :D Starting to like Ricossa's style. I will accept this apology and the offered compensation for the mess the missinformation on the blog caused, seems fair.

One piece of advice from me to Mr.Ricossa who is hopefully reading this - please take the reigns of the CM team (no hard feeligns guys), they seem to be losing their plot. This blog is far from being the first time something wrong, unchecked, unedited and unprofessional made it to the main web page in the past year. It's very bad PR for the game and company both.

This.

The current state of communication from Cryptic is very poor. There is a good deal of hostility between many players and Cryptic because of this.
    Rumors run rampant, and start unnecessary grief and anxiety, because for whatever reason there is no timely communication (if at all) from the people who make the decisions or even the CMs. Checking the content of a blog would be a good idea before posting it.

Don't leave the players in the dark. You have plans to do something, let us know.

Do you have any plans for the KDF or Romulan factions? Let us know.

Are you going to do anything with PVP? If so, what? If not, why?

Cryptic needs to pull it's collective head out of it's metrics. I don't say that to be nasty, but there is this appearance (to me at least) that the only thing that Cryptic collectively cares about is the raw numbers. Every time there is a change (usually one that works against the players), the magic metrics are cited with very little context. I think that many of these changes were made with no consideration to what brings players into the game...and that is to have fun.

Many of us are quite passionate about this game, and want it to succeed. But it is frustrating when one of the development team give the appearance of not just being dismissive of players, but contemptuous. This is especially so when that person is one of the major guiding forces behind the game. To me at least, this appears to be the reason (and not metrics) that the KDF, Romulans, and PVP have gotten so little attention, if not outright contempt.

I rarely log in any more. I came for the winter event, and when that was finished, I went to Swtor (I have fun there, even though I don't like the franchise as much as I do Star Trek). I log in now for the Anniversary event, and once I do the required task, I log out. When the event is over I will more than likely go back to Swtor, or whatever game grabs my attention and entertains me.

I do not spend money on this game any more, because there is nothing for me to buy in the Cstore. I desire things that enhance my gameplay, which is centered around the KDF. Lockbox things are not KDF, so if I bother with keys, I can buy them or the things I want from the exchange.

As for this dilithium event, I am even less interested in it than I would have been previously.

Sorry for the rambling.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Another thing is that players are not getting those marks for free. They are generated somehow, mostly by joining queued events, so the idea that players are not playing the game is kinda silly. Players have to play to generate marks. If they have marks from prior events, they have still played the content, and penalizing a player for holding on to them is frustrating (while this change isn't exactly a penalty, it can bee seen as such).

The marks for hitting T5 Rep are essentially free. I mean really, 340 Dilithium Ore per 30 marks and a small sum of ECs and Expertise, or 500 Dilithium for 50 marks, then suddenly you get 30-50k Dilithium Ore for, what, 10 marks? I see no reason why this dil, which is completely free, should be doubled - I mean really, 100,000 Dilithium Ore just for waiting a while to click a button and move a slider?. In this case, though I REALLY hate when people say this, I'm gonna say: Be happy with what you're given.

As for hoarding Advanced Queued Event Tokens, that was just an oversight on the devs' part; the Dil Weekends wouldn't include those projects one way or another if they'd thought of it, probably - You're supposed to be rewarded for playing content (Say, the battlezones) DURING the weekend, not pack-ratting items all year and waiting to exploit the dil conversion thingie during the Dilithium Weekend. I would've really liked to see Dilithium Weekends coming with doubled Advanced Completion Token drops, though - I really could use a few extra Neural Processors.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    9.5k if you have veteran reward doff mission and the dilithium mine doff project

Don't lie. Veterans with dil mine can refine 9k per day.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    I think they should probably have phased out the extra Dil on Mark conversion. Drop it by 10% each weekend till the bonus vanished. It was fairly blatant given the community here that this would be the reaction, and to drop it with no prior warning was just asking for trouble.

I really can't blame them for dropping the bonus on reaching T5 Rep (As much as I want to - I've got a few Rep's being completed over the next couple of days), as it was a pretty big exploit.

they have you brainwashed friend. just look at your post you just called players cheaters for playing as it was designed and how it has worked since they started with this new rep system junk.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This seems like yet another knife at the heart of the Borg STFs.

They already nerfed the dil reward from them, now they nerf the value of all the Omega marks we get flooded with. Since I own near everything from the omega store, and have for a very long time, my piles and piles of accumulated Omega marks make for a nice little payoff come dil reward weekend, that fact makes my beloved Borg STFs still fairly profitable.

I don't care. You can reduce the reward of Borg STFs to zero. They're still the most fun content in the game, and they're still what I will play.

If you want people to run other content, make it more fun.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mvp333 wrote: »
    The marks for hitting T5 Rep are essentially free. I mean really, 340 Dilithium Ore per 30 marks and a small sum of ECs and Expertise, then suddenly 30-50k Dilithium Ore for, what, 10 marks? I see no reason why this dil, which is completely free, should be doubled. In this case, though I REALLY hate when people say this, I'm gonna say: Be happy with what you're given.

As for hoarding Advanced Queued Event Tokens, that was just an oversight on the devs' part; the Dil Weekends wouldn't include those projects one way or another if they'd thought of it, probably - You're supposed to be rewarded for playing content (Say, the battlezones) DURING the weekend, not pack-ratting items all year and waiting to exploit the dil conversion thingie during the Dilithium Weekend.

I not referring to the T5 reward specifically as much as I am the repeatable mark turn ins. However the player still put the time and effort into those projects, I don't see anything wrong with getting the double reward for the event for that, since you are still limited on how much you can refine, and it's a one shot deal. Where do you think those marks to complete the projects came from?

I wouldn't call it an oversight. The developers knew what was happening, it was no secret. They had the metrics (metrics.. bah humbug). To say this is an exploit is ridiculous. It was working as intended. Now they decided to change it, right at a time when you have other serious problems that need addressing.

Why should players be happy about decreasing rewards? This has been happening accross the board. If they cut rewards by half on the queued events should they be happy about getting something, no matter how small? That seems to be the attitude Cryptic has at the moment. "You should just take what we give you and like it, after all you did get something." Would you be happy if your boss told you that?

I would've really liked to see Dilithium Weekends coming with doubled Advanced Completion Token drops, though - I really could use a few extra Neural Processors.

Why would they include token drops in an event specifically designed for dilithium? That would be more appropriate for the double marks event I would think.
  • Options
    darrylhainesdarrylhaines Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wonder why they don't want us to convert Dil to get Zen, when they want us to spend Real Money to get Zen....

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/26/perfect-worlds-q3-results-down/

Would explain why the drastic nerfs to Dil rewards and the like for some time now.

I know this is my first post (I think?), just had to say something, because this game is going down the you know what. (This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it, so white knight's go take a running jump, as with my opinion, your's is worth sweet "F" all).