What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    oh i have some ideas for a Trex mount let them eat the space bunnie !!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Space the final frontier ...

Dinosaurs? DINOSAURS! STO is coming into it's own!

Shame : I probably won't play any content. :(

Hope you guys enjoy it, it looks awesome, and the Devs are too! :)
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    another Earth for whatever reason

i watched that episode the other day. i had never seen it before and i was expecting some cool sci-fi reason why there was a duplicate earth.

nope, never bothered to explain it. its just there. and they actually paid those writers.

now if i had a dinosaur that was under my control, id sure as hell mount a lazer onto its head and go kill me enemies. that makes sense.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't forget Space Romans, Space TRIBBLE, another Earth for whatever reason...Kirk and crew being taken over and forced to dance. Dinosaurs are much sane than this
    At least that episode gave us the first interracial kiss on TV. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Back on Topic, I would like a more 3 Dimensional battle on ground as well as space.

Having someone continuously in front of you make you think in a two dimensional pattern. But if you had to be careful from fire from the air, that makes it more interesting.

Some pterodactyls would be interesting : very interesting.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

• Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Back on Topic, I would like a more 3 Dimensional battle on ground as well as space.

Having someone continuously in front of you make you think in a two dimensional pattern. But if you had to be careful from fire from the air, that makes it more interesting.

Some pterodactyls would be interesting : very interesting.

No pterodactyls... but there's a reason Lunge doesn't work on flying creatures anymore. :)
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Facing down T-rex with a anti proton autocarbine will be funny :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      So the Voth are a little like the Xindi, in that there are many different sub species? I've never seen the episode of Voyager that they feature in so they're something totally new to me.
      Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
    • Options
      pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
      edited October 2013
      No pterodactyls... but there's a reason Lunge doesn't work on flying creatures anymore. :)

I know that reason :D Can't wait for everyone to see why!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    • Options
      radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Captain Hunt, at your service!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      ufpterrell wrote: »
      So the Voth are a little like the Xindi, in that there are many different sub species? I've never seen the episode of Voyager that they feature in so they're something totally new to me.
      If you live in the US you can see the episode for free Here.
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    • Options
      daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
      edited October 2013

I have to say it's an honor to see a dev comment on a thread i made...

another thing, what about a sort of terrarium added to our ship interiors?

something that lets us house and see dinos we collected.

a whole new concept in sto that could net plenty of money and even give a new aspect similar to the tribble breeding, allowing for a larger player based economy.
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      I know that reason :D Can't wait for everyone to see why!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Oh how thou toys with us, dear Brandon.

I WANT A DINOSAUR! :D

• Options
      reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Facing down T-rex with a anti proton autocarbine will be funny :D

Funny? Where did a T-rex even GET an antiproton autocarbine? ;)
    • Options
      sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      jumpingjs wrote: »

I'd love the next best thing:
      A Voth Science BOff. ;)
      ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      sorceror01 wrote: »
      I'd love the next best thing:
      A Voth Science BOff. ;)
      If I get a Voth Sci Boff I'll need to update my sig. :)
    • Options
      kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Ooh. Voth boff. That's something I'd want. As long as there's a Republic version to make up for the Reman science boff from Obisek's series only being Starfleet or KDF. And s/he gets the paralytic quills as an ability, because that would be hilarious. And the hibernation. 'Voth Boff used Rest!'
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Funny? Where did a T-rex even GET an antiproton autocarbine? ;)

Maybe it's the King Kong variant of the autocarbine :D
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        kaevwrynn wrote: »
        'Voth Boff used Rest!'

It was SUPER effective!

Seriously though, if we do get a Voth boff, it should probably be Engineer. For special boffs, we've got two tac (Breen, Jem'Hadar) and two science (Reman, Borg), but the only special eng boffs I can think of are the Liberated Borg ones and D'vix.
      • Options
        galaxyrider0galaxyrider0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        Don't forget Space Romans, Space TRIBBLE, another Earth for whatever reason...Kirk and crew being taken over and forced to dance. Dinosaurs are much sane than this

Dude! This was the best comment I ever read in any forum ever... the video, your signature... GOD!!!
        --
        "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Jean-Luc Picard
      • Options
        edited October 2013
        This threads have some of the best comments and jokes! I would like to see the same spirit in game!

Boy, the idea of a T-Rex is a little crazy, considering the type of weapons we have now. A normal T-Rex could run more than 50Km/hour, how we are suposed to defeat those things? :D

Bigger weapons? Vechiles? Well, THIS would be really nice, both the shuttle and a ground vechile, specially with the size of the Dyson Sphere.
        --
        "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Jean-Luc Picard
      • Options
        edited October 2013
        jumpingjs wrote: »

now branflakes has me wondering.
      • Options
        macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
        edited October 2013
        I was going to parody this latest news about season 8. But what's the point? Them taking something so ridiculous so seriously is farcical enough.

I guess in the battle between mature Trek fans and pimpled faced 13 year olds ... the Trek fans lost out. As we say so sincerely in PvP ... "gg".
        "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
      • Options
        edited October 2013
        I was going to parody this latest news about season 8. But what's the point? Them taking something so ridiculous so seriously is farcical enough.

I guess in the battle between mature Trek fans and pimpled faced 13 year olds ... the Trek fans lost out. As we say so sincerely in PvP ... "gg".
        Dude, read the thread. Trek canon is full of things that make no sense. TRIBBLE in space, Romans in space, Greek Gods in space, American Indians in space, Trelane, the comical Q, and onward. You're taking your Trek far too seriously if you're not taking any of that into account. Trek has always been anything and everything.
      • Options
        edited October 2013

I'm a fan of the philosofical side of Star Trek, with all the debates. Star Trek had some edges: First woman to senior Officer in any movie/series. First black woman to be a Senior Officer too. First interracial kiss on TV.

And more... like all the prime directive debates, all the plots involving Spock, Data... some really good stuff. All the debate of racism in DS9...

But... we are in a game, people want to have fun, to do things, to blow things up. If you take a look on every star trek game, all of them have a combat focus.

While I do think this is a bit off the limit for Star Trek Standards, because the voth would never have a "T-Rex with Beams" if this was a show... but.. It will be fun if you think that we don't know much about the Voth. And all this is really possible, considering they are quite advanced and older than humans, maybe even older than Vulcans or the Iconians... they could be older than the Preservers.
        --
      • Options
        macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
        edited October 2013
        thecosmic1 wrote: »
        Dude, read the thread. Trek canon is full of things that make no sense. TRIBBLE in space, Romans in space, Greek Gods in space, American Indians in space, Trelane, the comical Q, and onward. You're taking your Trek far too seriously if you're not taking any of that into account. Trek has always been anything and everything.

I get what you're saying. I know this is entertainment and good fun. But even the Voyager episode tried to treat Dinosaurs in space a little more seriously ... with a thinly veiled morale about freedom of speech and progress. There was some super thin scifi (another civ evolving space flight) and little more maturity to the characters. This just feels exploitative and lacking in good taste.

All that's left here is a cartoon that would not be out of place on Saturday morning. It is a big trend now a days with Trek movies (super young cast ... non stop action) ... teenage vampire movies and Miley Cyrus. I guess I grew up in a different era where it was okay for Kirk to sit down with Bones and Spock and debate the moral implications of making the genesis device. It was an era where it was okay for a movie to have more than 2 minutes of dialog sans action. I can't imagine most kids would even get that the line "... from hell's heart I stab at thee..." is from Mobi-**** ... a clear allusion to futility of revenge.

/Rant
        "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
      • Options
        edited October 2013
        I get what you're saying. I know this is entertainment and good fun. But even the Voyager episode tried to treat Dinosaurs in space a little more seriously ... with a thinly veiled morale about freedom of speech and progress. There was some super thin scifi (another civ evolving space flight) and little more maturity to the characters. This just feels exploitative and lacking in good taste.

All that's left here is a cartoon that would not be out of place on Saturday morning. It is a big trend now a days with Trek movies (super young cast ... non stop action) ... teenage vampire movies and Miley Cyrus. I guess I grew up in a different era where it was okay for Kirk to sit down with Bones and Spock and debate the moral implications of making the genesis device. It was an era where it was okay for a movie to have more than 2 minutes of dialog sans action. I can't imagine most kids would even get that the line "... from hell's heart I stab at thee..." is from Mobi-**** ... a clear allusion to futility of revenge.

/Rant

you seem to be looking at all of this with blinds.

i've seen more or less of everything you think is missing from many different movies and shows today, from Stargate to Defiance (albeit the latter is a TRIBBLE poor chance at media) even things from AMC, hell breaking bad, Walking dead.

if you think it's limited in trek now it's only because what you see in the new trek is...well a movie not a television show, in the good days of cinematography we had great writers and greater pieces.

I've seen a bit of maturity and complexity in the latest JJ movie, it's not bad, its not old trek but it's not bad.

you are kind of thinking of new age media as the picture for ALL kids today, it's not if anything it's a picture of the minority of kids who will live in that segment of the culture.

I've not read Moby **** but I know it's premiss and I know its moral but that's it.

Dinosaurs in STO can actually bring about a new format in Star Trek something we all need, if anything its not so much cartoonish, but adventurous.

think about it. instead of rehashing old Canon and following the way trek used to be, we have it change or take what we've learned and move on.

if we stick with old trek and continue to recycle it then STO is doomed to be a failure completely.
      • Options
        edited October 2013
        ... from hell's heart I stab at thee..." is from Mobi-**** ... a clear allusion to futility of revenge.
        I think you grossly under estimate children. My 12 year old's Fed ship is called the Pequod. He plays a Liberated Borg who took the name Ahab, as he's seeking revenge against the Borg for his condition. He watched the movie. :)

Not every child in the world thinks Miley Cyrus is the greatest thing in the universe. :)

And all Trek movies were about action and pew-pew, even if they tried to throw in some classical literature references every so often. And really, why would a Klingon be quoting Shakespear and why would Khan know about Klingon proverbs when he never met a Klingon in his life? :)

Life is more then just drama. It's tragedy, comedy, and everything else. A game should reflect that too. We're all here for fun, not angst.
      • Options
        sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        This threads have some of the best comments and jokes! I would like to see the same spirit in game!

Boy, the idea of a T-Rex is a little crazy, considering the type of weapons we have now. A normal T-Rex could run more than 50Km/hour, how we are suposed to defeat those things? :D

Bigger weapons? Vechiles? Well, THIS would be really nice, both the shuttle and a ground vechile, specially with the size of the Dyson Sphere.

Actually, I'm hoping that we finally get the Isomagnetic Disintegrator. I've been waiting ages for that bad boy to get in game, and I think it'd pack a nice punch against the Voth battle dinosaurs and mecha armors.
        ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
      • Options
        kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        thecosmic1 wrote: »
        You didn't watch much TOS, did you? That was a series that had Abraham Lincoln in space, Greek Gods in space, American Indians in space, time travel to the 30s and 60s, etc. There was no concept in TOS considered too strange to do. I'm sure if the series had lasted longer then 3 years they would have gotten around to dinosaurs too - but Voyager did manage to get around to it. :)

This. Star Trek has done some really silly, hare brained stuff. Anyone remember Planet Africa from TNG? "You shall have no treaty, no vaccine, and no Lieutenant Yar!"

Dinosaurs with frickin' lasers isn't actually as out of place as the naysayers would think.