test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crashing after todays patch 10-03-13 [Resolved! Welcome home!]

Comments

• richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yay mother frackers im in Redshirt

but took me forever to get in stayed in the LoR loading screen and on the bottom got a few msg saying something about pixel shader failure or what not
  • mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am happy to report that the "patch fix" worked! Im in redshirt :D
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • sfsfarrolasfsfarrola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you guys for sorting this out! I was preparing for the worst, but you came through and you would not believe how happy you have made me as a result. Thank you again guys for all your hard work in putting this right
  • taitie12taitie12 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi Captains,

Good news! We're testing a potential fix for this issue internally, and once we're confident that it will be safe for a test server, we will push it there. If all checks out, the goal is to get this in the next Holodeck patch, so hopefully for Thursday.

I can't thank you enough for your continued patience, and I appreciate those of you in this thread that have been supportive of our efforts to resolve this. As mentioned, it is our top priority and we can't wait to see you back in-game.

Watch for Redshirt patch notes :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

thank you for tbe info and please thank the tech team for all thier hard work and apoligise to them for all the nasty posts on here. I do underdtsnd how hard it is to try fibf a soulution with thr complex code they have to deal with

to those who ard wondering why they aren't emergency patching the game think about it theres no poinf in doubble handeling the patches and it provides more time to test alongsidethe new patch to prevent any further problems
  • kyledewittkyledewitt Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also, now that this is on a public test server, we are going to make sure all is good with it over the next day before we get it into the "patch" that will be going out on Thursday. All is looking good so far, so we *should* have it in there :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

If your fix works like you "claim" then it should be put in with the update that comes tonight!!! It won't affect anyone as there won't be anyone on for those two hours. You still haven't extended the crystalline event that we're missing. TRIBBLE customer service continues!
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Checking in... Redshirt accessed fine (Though using it'll take some getting used to... among other things, it was creepy-quiet compared to Holodeck...)

I'm not sure, but I'd say we're good to implement the fix transfer to Holodeck...

*chuckles*

At the Captain's discretion.

Yeah, I'm in a good mood again.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kyledewitt wrote: »
    If your fix works like you "claim" then it should be put in with the update that comes tonight!!! It won't affect anyone as there won't be anyone on for those two hours. You still haven't extended the crystalline event that we're missing. TRIBBLE customer service continues!

You really need to learn to pay attention. They are doing work on the ACCOUNT SERVERS THAT SERVE ALL CRYPTIC GAMES!

This means they are not updating any games tonight. They are just working on servers that allow us to LOGIN to everything Cryptic has out as far as games to play.

So there is no update tonight. That is coming Thursday.

Again, would you rather they immediately run it out and not test it to make sure it won't break things more and make things worse for yourself and others or...oh wait you only care about yourself. My bad. Continue on as you were complaining about how you are the only one more inconvenienced by this problem than anybody else and that because you paid money into the game, you deserve to have things done your way regardless of what happens to your fellow players and the staff at Cryptic who work tirelessly to keep this game going and functioning. Yes please. Do so. :D I want more entertainment because the GOP in Washington is not enough so far. Also, explain what certifies you to know about Computer Game Programming as well.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    edited October 2013
    Also, now that this is on a public test server, we are going to make sure all is good with it over the next day before we get it into the "patch" that will be going out on Thursday. All is looking good so far, so we *should* have it in there :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    raventomoe wrote: »
    You really need to learn to pay attention. They are doing work on the ACCOUNT SERVERS THAT SERVE ALL CRYPTIC GAMES!

This means they are not updating any games tonight. They are just working on servers that allow us to LOGIN to everything Cryptic has out as far as games to play.

So there is no update tonight. That is coming Thursday.

Again, would you rather they immediately run it out and not test it to make sure it won't break things more and make things worse for yourself and others or...oh wait you only care about yourself. My bad. Continue on as you were complaining about how you are the only one more inconvenienced by this problem than anybody else and that because you paid money into the game, you deserve to have things done your way regardless of your fellow playes. Yes please. Do so. :D I want more entertainment because the GOP in Washington is not enough so far.

If it really works like they claim, there should be no issue updating it tonight as well. But they won't because all they give a damn about is stealing money. How would updating it tonight affect anyone if no one would be able to log in because of their update tonight. BS statement defending crappy customer service. If their going to make us wait any longer, and steal more money, the least they could do is extend the current event going on. That have not done that either! Again, update it tonight when ya'll take the servers down!
    edited October 2013
    If it really works like they claim, there should be no issue updating it tonight as well. But they won't because all they give a damn about is stealing money. How would updating it tonight affect anyone if no one would be able to log in because of their update tonight. BS statement defending crappy customer service. If their going to make us wait any longer, and steal more money, the least they could do is extend the current event going on. That have not done that either! Again, update it tonight when ya'll take the servers down!

Just to ask, why are you still here playing than? Did you Lifetime?

EDIT: Oh and everyone. How are things in Redshirt?

EDIT@kyle: Again, what are your qualifications about Computer Game Programming?
    edited October 2013
    EDIT@kyle: Again, what are your qualifications about Computer Game Programming?

Does that even matter? They're already doing an update tonight, so the system will already be down. It makes sense to push this fix, that they claim works, in tonight as well. We know they can do emergency patches, they did one Sep 30. They just choose not to do it tonight because of their TRIBBLE customer service, because all they care about is stealing money.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hrm... in trying to patch for Redshirt, I get:

Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in 9... 8... 7...

Ad nauseam...

A-ha! Google is your friend! I set the launcher to Run as Admin and it's working. Suppose that change had something to do with where I tried to reinstall the game after the initial problems started...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited October 2013
    EDIT: Oh and everyone. How are things in Redshirt?

Creepy-quiet with so much fewer people per area than Holodeck, or at least it seems. I must have crossed three sector blocks and only saw about half-a-dozen other ships...

The really disconcerting part, though, was not having access to my C-store purchased uniforms and ships. That was a little uncomfortable considering how much I had grown used to some of them...

I actually didn't stick around long, just long enough to check that "Yes, the fix works". That should hold me out until Thursday.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Does that even matter?

Yes, it absolutely matters, because while to you, something like this:
    They're already doing an update tonight, so the system will already be down. It makes sense to push this fix, that they claim works, in tonight as well. We know they can do emergency patches, they did one Sep 30. They just choose not to do it tonight because of their TRIBBLE customer service, because all they care about is stealing money.

makes sense, to the rest of us, it sounds exactly insane as this:
    They are already doing one form of maintenance, so it must be true that another, different form of maintenance would be easy to add, even though I have no idea what either of those processes entail. Also, due to the potent combination of my staggering sense of entitlement and my unreasoning frustration at not having my every instant whim catered to, I am going to assume the only possible reason for this situation is that Cryptic is trying to steal money from me, and kill my puppies. Because Cryptic is evil, because they mildly inconvenienced me for several days.
    edited October 2013
    No it doesn't matter. They just choose not to do an emergency patch for no damned reason. They have the fix, or so they claim, and refuse to use it.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No it doesn't matter. They just choose not to do an emergency patch for no damned reason. They have the fix, or so they claim, and refuse to use it.

If nothing else, I guess I can admire your steadfast devotion to your narrow point of view. It must be exhausting to have so little understanding of the world around you, yet be so absolutely certain that you have a lock on what's "right".
    edited October 2013
    There is already a regularly scheduled STO server patch on Thursday. The maintenance tonight is account server - which means it crosses into all Cryptic games, not just STO. It won't crash the game server or cause the Borg to come and turn us all into drones if it isn't done right now, so it can wait until Thursday when they're actually working with STO and not the account server.

Insisting that they deal with an STO-specific problem when they're working on the cross-game account server is kind of like demanding that the mechanic replace your starter while he's airing up and rotating your tires.
    edited October 2013
    There is already a regularly scheduled STO server patch on Thursday. The maintenance tonight is account server - which means it crosses into all Cryptic games, not just STO. It won't crash the game server or cause the Borg to come and turn us all into drones if it isn't done right now, so it can wait until Thursday when they're actually working with STO and not the account server.

Insisting that they deal with an STO-specific problem when they're working on the cross-game account server is kind of like demanding that the mechanic replace your starter while he's airing up and rotating your tires.

This is another reason they don't give a damn about the minority. They have the solution but refuse to use it. Give one extremely damn good reason it shouldn't be done tonight. They have the ability to do so, but they refuse to put it through. My guess is that they don't have a damn fix yet. Which makes their statement about a fix false.
    edited October 2013
    Give one extremely damn good reason it shouldn't be done tonight. They have the ability to do so, but they refuse to put it through.
    Uhh... How about the fact that they want to let the fix run on Redshirt and make sure they didn't break anything else? Didn't I see Brandon post something to that effect? :rolleyes:

Honestly, the way you're carrying on and pointing fingers, IF I were working on the fix and I had time to come read your accusations, I'd be sorely tempted to write a bit of code in that targeted your account and made it run slowly.

Fortunately, I'm not a Cryptic programmer, and if I were, I doubt I'd have time to come read this thread. :P
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited October 2013
    This is another reason they don't give a damn about the minority.

The minority? You are a minority of one. None of the rest of us stand in agreement with you. You stand alone and the louder you talk of how 'Cryptic hates the minority', the less anyone else wants to be classified with you.

If that's really how you feel, I doubt anyone would stop you from closing your account, deleting the game and leaving.
    edited October 2013
    bergins wrote: »
    Uhh... How about the fact that they want to let the fix run on Redshirt and make sure they didn't break anything else? Didn't I see Brandon post something to that effect? :rolleyes:

Honestly, the way you're carrying on and pointing fingers, IF I were working on the fix and I had time to come read your accusations, I'd be sorely tempted to write a bit of code in that targeted your account and made it run slowly.

Fortunately, I'm not a Cryptic programmer, and if I were, I doubt I'd have time to come read this thread. :P

That would no longer be relevant if the people are correct in that in works. There is no damned reason to refuse to put out an emergency patch, unless that don't have a fix for it yet. There taking the servers down anyways at midnight tonight, so it makes sense to do this then. Again, they don't gave a damn about minorities.
    edited October 2013
    The minority? You are a minority of one. None of the rest of us stand in agreement with you. You stand alone and the louder you talk of how 'Cryptic hates the minority', the less anyone else wants to be classified with you.

If that's really how you feel, I doubt anyone would stop you from closing your account, deleting the game and leaving.

If you think Cryptic cares about the minority of the players that can't log in when they have a fix, or so they claim, there would be no reason for them to hold said fix back.
  • QQ Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2013

Don't worry, I am reading it. All the time. Omnipotently.

It sure has been... interesting.
    edited October 2013
    That would no longer be relevant if the people are correct in that in works. There is no damned reason to refuse to put out an emergency patch, unless that don't have a fix for it yet.
    Ok, I realize I put a lot more words than necessary in my last post, so you might have missed what I said. Let me fix it for you:
    They want to let the fix run on Redshirt and make sure they didn't break anything else
    Read it again before you read beyond it:
    They want to let the fix run on Redshirt and make sure they didn't break anything else
    If they run the fix and find out it breaks something for the majority of players, they'll have a multitude of people in here doing what you are doing alone right now. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    Q wrote: »

Now you've done it. He'll really think it's a conspiracy...
    edited October 2013
    Ok, I realize I put a lot more words than necessary in my last post, so you might have missed what I said. Let me fix it for you:
    Read it again before you read beyond it:
    If they run the fix and find out it breaks something for the majority of players, they'll have a multitude of people in here doing what you are doing alone right now. :rolleyes:

If ya'll are correct in that it works, there is no reason to delay it's release. Since I am not being compensated in anyway, they haven't even extended the crystalline event, they need to get this done with the maintenance tonight. They have had over 5 days to get their, I repeat their, TRIBBLE up. Fix it tonight, or compensate for loss of time.
    edited October 2013

Umm...Hi. Hope I am not on the short list of people who may or may not have gotten you upset Q.

Thank you! This is what I am trying to get him to understand.
  • wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2013

On Behalf of the majority of the alleged "minority", I AM GLAD & SATISFIED at the way Cryptic has handled this situation. Squeaky wheels do not get the grease. They are annoying and get ignored, you know who you are. Many of us would enjoy having a ignore/block option on the forum, however that would be unrealistic, since information needs to be freely exchanged no matter form. Whether it is given in a sophomoric rant or a reasonably written notification, information needs to shared.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER
    edited October 2013

I'd be fine with waiting if I was compensated for what I've lost/unable to do due to their TRIBBLE up. Neither has happened. They have the ability to fix this now, but are deliberately choosing not to do so for no, I repeat no, reason.
    edited October 2013
    If ya'll are correct in that it works, there is no reason to delay it's release.
    Let's imagine the problem were a headache. What if I told you I had a way to take care of your headache, in fact my solution would prevent any future headaches. Would you say "Sure, let me at it!"? Would you want to see how it worked first?

Hopefully you wouldn't blindly pursue the cure only to find out it was a guillotine...

Edit to Add:
    And with that, I am done, folks. It is time to put this argument to sleep, all it is doing is burying Post #562 in a bunch of noise. Kyle, you need to understand that making a "minor" change to any complex system can have unexpected results. They want to make sure this fix will actually work and won't break something else even worse, or at least will fix the problem for some, but not for all. What will you do when everyone but you is back to playing the game because the patch excluded some quirk to your system that is causing the troubles but fixed everyone else's? Not to mention the team doing Account Server Maintenance might not even be the same crew who'll implement this wondrous fix.
  • wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Umm...Hi. Hope I am not on the short list of people who may or may not have gotten you upset Q.

First step in learning is listening.....or in this case reading and understanding. Some people would rather rage against the machine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER