What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the Dragonborn Package page is down for Further clarification? Or because we complain too much?

If it was before, it seems to be back up.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Note - dragons are not born. They are hatched. Same goes for SOME half dragons.

I'm already a half dragon! : flaps silvery wings under a cloak:

That cloak needs to be a fashion item for sale. : chuffs: Hopefully all the fashions go on sale after awhile - even all the items EVEN IF it's Zen Market.

I just don't have spare $$$ for this. Not even for my birthday.

Also, the "dragonborn" seem to all be chromatics? : squints and returns to her lovely house near a cold cave:
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2014
    I got so excited when I saw the new race announcement.. So much that I skip reading the other pack content and straight away look for the purchase link. But once I saw the price, I was surprised! took a look at the pack content properly.. No mount? no companion? a time-based enchantment that poofs once used long enough? Seriously. no.. I live in a country that our currency is 1/3rd USD worth.. USD75 dollars means ~$250 out of my paycheck.. I'll just stick to my feywild pack I guess..
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    but an truly beautiful dragonborn with 20+ charisma?
    Charisma is not attractiveness, though in some editions of D&D attractiveness is considered to a small component of it (at least for first impressions). From the NW tooltip for Charisma it "measures force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership" which have nothing to do with appearance. So you can be an grotesque lizard thing and still have a maxed out charisma.
    That cloak needs to be a fashion item for sale.
    I want some actual proper leathery wings as a neck or fashion torso slot item, not just a cloak that is sort of wing shaped. It is bizarre that we can have fake pixie wings but not fake bat ones. :)
    Also, the "dragonborn" seem to all be chromatics?
    Dragonborn do not come in chromatic / metallic varieties (Dragonlance draconians do, matching the corrupted metallic dragon egg used to birth them). From the compendium "scales can be scarlet, gold, rust, ocher, bronze, or brown. Rarely do an individual's scales match the hue of a chromatic or metallic dragon, and scale color gives no indication of the type of breath weapon a dragonborn uses." They also have a fairly uniform appearance that doesn't specifically match the looks of any actual dragons (where each color has a very distinctive head structure).

I know a lot of home campaigns and illustrations ignore this and have dragonborn with color / breath / head tied to a tradional dragon (a lot of players seem to insist on this if possible), but that is not the default book norm.
  • Options
    huggormmasterhuggormmaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xenotorch wrote: »
    Quick word on the pricing of this if you're a European customer:

US Full Price = $99.99, US Sale Price = $74.99
    Euro Full Price = €94.99, Euro Sale Price = €71.24

BUT, but what exchange rates are PWE/Cryptic using???

Based on the US full/sale prices it should be €74.25 and €55.69.

Basing the dollar price on the PWE/Cryptic Euro prices would make it $127.89 and $95.92.

An explanation for why virtual content should be so far out of whack would be nice. Maybe there is a sensible explanation but this just makes an overpriced and value-free (my opinion) pack (no pet/mount?!) even harder to bear. Seriously guys, fair much?

Epic fail other games use this exchange too but when customers ask why there are so huge difference they adjust it.
    I don't think they will change this. You can contact your consumer agency to check if it's right to do this...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It looks like the pack breakdown page is back up. I'm not seeing any changes to content or price, no clarification on if the Bahamut Regalia is per character or single claim, and not even a fix to the odd wording about the +2 bonus...
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The price is just insane because the items are terrible. Even if the pack was about £10 I wouldn't get it, the one thing in it that seems decent is the race but they aren't really anything special so I don't care.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    You aren't paying for the race, per se, inasmuch as you're paying for the entirety of the pack.

The race and the pack are the only items of significant value to the general gaming population. That is why the reaction in this forum is so overwhelmingly negative.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    echokazul wrote: »
    Could we get some better screenshots of the race, maybe even a video? I sincerely hope that there aren't any females in the example shown, I'd hope they'd be a little more feminine. Do they have tails? I can't really tell. And will they come with their own little race quests, like the others have as you level up?

None of the ones in the screenshots are females (I believe). Oddly, female Dragonborns do have bewbies (since they nurse their hatchlings). And no, they dont have tails. I know, its more strange than having <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, in this case, but hey each one with their own fantasies. :rolleyes:
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well Gary Gygax might wait to roll over in his grave and flip a coin for a few months until they decide whether it will be free to play later.
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    masizin777 wrote: »
    Well Gary Gygax might wait to roll over in his grave and flip a coin for a few months until they decide whether it will be free to play later.

Here is the problem with that statement, if they did decide to make the race F2P at some point the people who DID buy this pack will be out for blood! In the case of the Drow they let people know up front it would be F2P but people buying the pack got a slightly different version a lot earlier, those people made an educated choice. To say this is the "Exclusive (IE:Only)" and have a bunch of people put out money and then change it later could get them sued.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would love to roll a dragonborn, but I am sure as heck not willing to fork out 100 bucks for it. I don't need all the extra items, release just the race as a standalone purchase for say, $20 and I'd buy it today. I can't justify 100 bucks for a race even though I could change my main into one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My random thoughts:

1) No pictures of females? At all? And they're due out in 2 weeks?
    2) No pictures of a Dragonborn with a tail? Are these seriously tailless creatures (despite 4th Edition saying otherwise)?
    3) No way to buy just the race itself? What a ripoff with all the random pieces of junk thrown in 'for free'.
    4) Seriously, seriously just sell a race pack by itself (along with buying the race change token by itself). You'd sell more for sure.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They should have their Dragon Breath. And Eladrin need their Fey Step. How could you ignore their distinctive trademark abilities completely?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    2) No pictures of a Dragonborn with a tail? Are these seriously tailless creatures (despite 4th Edition saying otherwise)?
    I'm confused by that last statement, as 4e doesn't state otherwise. The lack is one of the first things stated in the description "Dragonborn resemble humanoid dragons. They're covered in scaly hide, but they don't have tails."
    They should have their Dragon Breath.
    I'm guessing they couldn't figure out how to arrange it on the interface as adding it would probably involve having to fill in an existing power slot, or require a specialized addition to the UI just for them. So they instead made it an artifact included in the pack, though really this is still replacing an existing slot. Maybe if it had been a reusable item for the potion slot (I always seem to have one slot just used to hold extra healing stacks)?
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    I'm guessing they couldn't figure out how to arrange it on the interface as adding it would probably involve having to fill in an existing power slot, or require a specialized addition to the UI just for them. So they instead made it an artifact included in the pack, though really this is still replacing an existing slot. Maybe if it had been a reusable item for the potion slot (I always seem to have one slot just used to hold extra healing stacks)?

I was thinking this also, the only way they could do it is make it take up one of the encounter slot powers (which it pretty much does in 4e from what I have read).

If they had done it then they could have easily made that the difference between a pack version and a f2p version. If people want the breath weapon they buy the pack, anyone who doesn't want it can just use the f2p version. That would have brought it in similar line to the other pack races. From what I remember reading not all Dragonborn develop the breath weapon, so it would have stayed true to the concept and made a lot of us who want a f2p version of the race happy,
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hehehe i see it right now, dragonbron body parts not matching with current existing eq ;D

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I was thinking this also, the only way they could do it is make it take up one of the encounter slot powers (which it pretty much does in 4e from what I have read). ... From what I remember reading not all Dragonborn develop the breath weapon, so it would have stayed true to the concept and made a lot of us who want a f2p version of the race happy,
    In tabletop 4e the Dragonborn breath weapon is just an additional encounter power on your list. There are really no "slots" for at-will, encounter, and daily powers in tabletop and so having it doesn't get in the way of other powers you happen to have. Eventually you can have a huge array of powers of the various timing types based on class / level / race / theme / feats and can usually use any of them you see fit without any pre-planning. A high level character could easily go through a dozen encounter powers in an extended battle.

To my knowledge, all player character dragonborn had the breath weapon power, though there were some Dragon Magazine rules for playing Dragonlance Draconians using Dragonborn rules that gave you the option to swap the power for Concussive Vengeance (Bozak) or Caustic Heritage (Kapak). There were also some feats like Dragonborn Channeling that would let you expend your breath attack to do something cool, but you could still elect to breath instead.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Moderator Notice - Numerous posts have been removed for crossing the lines in terms of responses.

Negative feedback is fine but please be respectful while doing so. No need to insult the companies or developers.

Additionally: All countries within the European Union (The UK is in the European Union contrary to some beliefs) are subject to the VAT. As such prices reflect the conversion plus the VAT.

-Ambisinisterr
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xenotorch wrote: »
    Quick word on the pricing of this if you're a European customer:

US Full Price = $99.99, US Sale Price = $74.99
    Euro Full Price = €94.99, Euro Sale Price = €71.24

BUT, but what exchange rates are PWE/Cryptic using???

USD/Sterling Exchange Rate
    UK Full Price = £58.84, UK Sale Price = £44.13

€uro/Sterling Exchange Rate
    UK Full Price = £75.29, UK Sale Price = £56.47

But they will only sell things to the UK in €uro, so it's £75 or £56.

Forget it.

I will never buy this pack, even if the UK Full Price was £44.00 and the Sale Price had ANOTHER 25% off at £33.00

I bought the Knight of the Feywild pack from Steam for £30, after carefully weighing up the value of the New Character Slot, the Account-Wide New Race, the Account-Wide Unicorn Mount, the Account-Wide Epic Companion, the 600k AD, the Fashion Pack and all the other little things. It is now £44 on Steam, and so no longer worth the money. I would not buy it now, but I did buy it for £30.

The Feywild pack appears to be far better value than the Dragonborn. Not for the Moon Elf race, but for the Mount and other stuff. I did not use the race as Neverwinter Elves = meh.

Is the Dragonborn race REALLY worth 2.5 times the cash, with no mount, no companion etc?

Knight of the Feywild Pack
    Extra Character Slot
    Worth 250 Zen.

Moon Elf Race
    Meh - OK if you like Elves, but a Sun Elf may have better racials.

"Knight of the Feywild" Title
    Meh - Absolutely worthless to me.

600,000 Astral Diamonds
    One time per account, worth 1400 to 1500 Zen at the time. Useful for Character Slots, Enchanted Keys, Retraining Tokens or just buying stuff from the AH.

Adventurer's Helper Pack
    One per account, Worth 2000 Zen, on Sale at the time for 1125 Zen
    5 Scrolls of Mass Life - Auctioned for 7500 AD each
    1 Healing Stone with 200 uses - Auctioned for 100,000 AD

So I got 137,000 AD, minus the 13,700 AH fee, plus the 600,000 AD = 723,750 AD (1700-1800 Zen's worth at the time)

Moonsilver Regalia Clothing
    Meh - looks OK on females, once dyed with Cleric colours, but my Dwarf looked decidedly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> until I dyed it black.
    Value? Wedding Attire sells for 2000 Zen, Courtesan outfits 1000 Zen. Both look better to me

Dawn Unicorn 110% Epic Mount
    Worth 3000 to 4000 Zen compared with other mounts, although, I do wish it looked a little less like a Shire horse with a horn - it is not delicate or ethereal enough.

Sylph Epic Offensive Companion
    Worth 2500 Zen compared with Galeb Duhr and Will o' Wisp
    Active Bonus = +50% Control Resistance Bonus

Loamweave Enchantment
    Difficult to assess Value as they are not at AH or for sale separately for Zen.
    Cannot be Refined or Upgraded, but scale with your level.

Stone of Earth
    Meh - OK for low level characters with no Amulet, Necklace or Cloak.

So the total Zen value as far as I can tell was roughly 12,000 Zen.

Apparently, the Dragonborn pack completely lacks most of these things for 2.5x the price? No mount? No companion?

The only thing worth trying in Dragonborn for me is the race, for a Warlock or Cleric, but it simply is not worth the £56 Sale Price, and absolutely never worth the £75 Full price. I'd prefer to spend the money on Zen for Coalescent Wards and Keys, but only in a Sale.

I already have an Account-Wide Unicorn and an Account-Wide White Tiger and the only races I have used for my 12 characters are Dwarf, Tiefling, Halfling and one Wood Elf Ranger who is a Leadership Mule.

I have two empty character Slots. One will be used for a Warlock, but none will be used for a Dragonborn unless they massively restructure their pricing policy.

~
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually you don't have that many:

At-Will: 2, 3 if PHB human
    Encounter: 3
    Daily: 3
    Utility: 5

After you get the first three Encounters/Dailies you start having to retrain when you get a new power level. (You can take a lower-level power if you want.)

Paragon Paths give one each of encounter/daily/utility, but these are fixed. Your Epic Destiny will generally give you another utility power as well.

Utility powers can be at-will, encounter, or daily, for that matter. They're also not attack powers, as evidenced by the name. Teleports, extra effects, defense boosters, that sort of thing.

Racial powers tend to be Encounters where they exist; not all races have a racial power.

(Here's a sample high-level character sheet for a level 21 hybrid Cavalier|Warlock; you have a lot you can do, but most of it isn't actually attacking: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=467654)
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well obviously some of my previous post were deemed too negative, so I will save that rhetoric for various blogs and gaming sites.

Bottom line: The price as it stands is way to high to make it worth getting especially with what is included in the pack. As such it is alienating a large amount of the player base, this number will only increase as the module gets closer and more people become aware of the situation. I will stick by one thing I said earlier, it goes against one of the things the devs said during beta, that we would never have to pay for any content that is more then cosmetic or convenience. Some people might argue that the new race is simply cosmetic, but the fact it has one of the best stat bonuses that would benefit every class in the game, and that there is no other way for us to get it, makes it more then just cosmetic in my opinion.

I happily bought the Feywild and guardian packs, they were only 60.00 and had a lot of great stuff in it that I still enjoy having on new characters today. I didn't get The HR pack because it didn't have anything I wanted in it, but the price reflected it correctly. Most of the junk in this pack besides the race has no real use. I have enough cosmetic outfits, I already have 7 artifacts on each toon (8 once I get my warlock to 60), already have several Zvim sets available for new characters so the equipment isn't much use, the Dragon Overcharge slots are available in game via the campaign, there is no cool pet or mount, the race change token will be in the zen store, there is really nothing worth while in the pack besides the race to me, and its $15 more then either of the packs I got and that's the SALE price. I don't know who put this pack together and gave it its price point, but they sorely dropped the ball.

I don't blame Cryptic for this, they have no control over it, put PWE is showing its true colors, and people are really starting to notice it!
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, they've already been close to violating that with Coalescent Wards. They've made them so difficult to acquire outside of the zen store that you're pushed more and more to having to buy them, and they're *required* for progression as Weapon/Armor enchants are very much needed if you intend to participate in any sort of endgame content with any seriousness.

I'm not impressed. The pack isn't a good value, and it's so far as we know the only way to ever get access to the race. This is very lame.

I bought the Feywild pack willingly and cheerfully because not only did I find most of the contents desirable, I found it to be a good deal. Closest equivalent mount? 40 bucks. A single purple companion? 25 bucks. That's 65 bucks right there, but the pack was 59.99. And hey, I get that purple companion on all my chars. And a fashion set all my chars can use. And cool, I can make a moon elf, I like their coloring and they even threw in a character slot so I don't have to buy more. And hey cool, 600k AD, that's 12 bucks worth at the exchange rate. But mostly the utility of the 110% mount and the account-wide, useful companion. If I had merely claimed just the dawn unicorn and the Sylph on a single character and never touched other characters or even the AD, that would have been a fair value. That I did use that AD, and use the mount and companion on all ten of my characters, and the fashion set on most... Yeah, I don't feel like I got ripped off on that versus buying other stuff. The value is there.

The dragonborn pack, though, I don't get value from, personally. Even assuming I want the race(I don't, but let's assume I do), the other items just don't offer the value. Account-wide green artifact? Uh, I guess that's nice, but I have four of those already and only don't have six because I'm too lazy to get my HR and GF the third DR boon because I don't really like playing either and don't care about their artifacts much anyway. Too much of it seems to be single-claim or worse, consumable. Ew?

It just falls flat to me.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    tonotjeetonotjee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wish they would have put a dragon/reptile mount in there to match with the dragonborn race, the new dragon mount will probably come from lockboxes and will be way too expensive/not for your whole account, which is an issue for me/
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Doesn't seem to be a popular decision to paywall an entire race and this forum represents a mere fraction of the community , I wonder what the reaction will be like on the 14th when everybody realizes they have to pay to play the new race. Just seems so strange that the pack has no mount or companion , I would have thought making the race free and adding a mount and/or a companion to the pack would make more sense , at least for that price.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be a popular decision to paywall an entire race and this forum represents a mere fraction of the community , I wonder what the reaction will be like on the 14th when everybody realizes they have to pay to play the new race. Just seems so strange that the pack has no mount or companion , I would have thought making the race free and adding a mount and/or a companion to the pack would make more sense , at least for that price.

^ this ^ is exactly it - as I said above right now its a large number of forum goers and some people in game already unhappy about it, when the general populace realizes there is no other way to get the race the anger we have seen so far will be minor compared to the overall reaction.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    USD/Sterling Exchange Rate
    UK Full Price = £58.84, UK Sale Price = £44.13

€uro/Sterling Exchange Rate
    UK Full Price = £75.29, UK Sale Price = £56.47
    ~

Plus 20% VAT = £70.61

But yeah, you're right about it being overpriced.
  • Options
    backslash55backslash55 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I respect a company trying to turn a profit, but this is really a bit much. The value of the items in this pack is nowhere near the current asking price of €70, let alone the full €95.

And while I personally couldn't care less about the Dragonborn, I'm afraid it's the start of a disheartening trend, which at one point will affect something I do care about, say if they introduced the Aasimar, Avariel, Genasi or Fei'Ri races only as a part of insanely overpriced packs, or even worse, if new classes are put behind a paywall as well.

So yes, put me in the unhappy players column, and I do hope this is just an unfortunate one time blip rather than a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I find it absolutely absurd that players are demanding it to be free, they are already letting you play this game for free. I am fine with a paywall but that price is silly. As many others have stated if it was unlock race only for a lower price I would do that. I'm guessing whoever is incharge of promotions does not know what gamers would buy or want to buy.

and i still find it baffling why they spend time to make green mounts when they have not looked at the upgrade costs.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    hwedragnfire1hwedragnfire1 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    All i got to say is. IS it me or does the new race look like a bird or chicken or a bearded lizard? think more like a chicken but def not worth the 75 dollars to get a chicken skin over one of the other races
This discussion has been closed.