test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    They're setting zen prices too high to trade AD for (due to massive backlog), this is a pay-barrier intended to leave you with no option but to bust out your credit card if you want it that bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Actually, they are related to them as Draconians are an off-shoot species of Dragonborn now.

Also, here's an excerpt from WotC on Dragonborn:

As with any race, they have multiple ancestry stories, which are all told in the 4e Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn supplement. However, they are all similar in that they are not full blooded dragons and have humanoid characteristics which results in a humanoid dragon creature.
    Not blessed - sure. But Not Full-Blooded ? They are full-blooded dragons, but not TRUE dragons, you would say. Or, you would, if WotC didn't contradict themselves in their own explanation.
    In other words, the bas e tard children / unblessed of dragons are called Dragonborn.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • huegrimhuegrim Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    so the dragonborn has been announced as the new playable race. but you have to buy the dlc pack for it. i'm bummed out at the choice. i wonder if they'll do separated race like they did with the drow.
  • metalgeard20metalgeard20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Probably.

Shiny dragon race for DLC and peasant dragons for the rest of us :p
  • panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    why with money?rly?-.- plz add and one more free race...

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Things that Cell wants to see that will never happen:

Actual numbers of players who bought this pack vs how many bought the Feywild pack
  • panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So Dragonborn will be not free to play :)

My most problem why shoud i buy somthing if i dont even know the stats of DB race just for the look?

Racial Traits
    Grants you +2 to any two stats.
    Dragonborn Fury: You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.
    Draconic Heritage: You receive 5% more healing from all sources.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dragonborn

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • warlockx1warlockx1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hell I'd be ok with buying a race unlock for like 500 zen, but only accessible in a high dollar pack of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>? Nope.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    Or maybe they actually do. Remember that there is a sweet spot at which the price per unit times quantity sold maximizes profit: Lowering price significantly below that point will hurt revenue because you aren't gaining enough sales to compensate thanks to saturation among the target buyers. As a simple example, every time you cut a price in half, you have to *double* the units sold to just break even (and that is assuming an item with zero production cost like this one). It could just be that their market analysis indicated that $100 is the ideal value for maximizing price x units.

If you cut the price to $50, you have to increase sales 50% to break even. I think this is doable with the current pack...

Again, based on the current "poll" and the reaction in this thread, alot of people are not happy with the price. Id say youll be lucky to get 10% of the population. You think cutting price to $50 youd only have to net 5% more. Id buy it RIGHT NOW at $50. At $75 im not sure, at $99 - NO WAY.

If it had more "account wide" stuff, maybe... If it had a bag PER CHARACTER - sure. If a new mount - YUP! I just dont see the value.

Plus id bet that within 1-2 months they will have a free version - so your paying for - early access and the other items.

With a race-change token, early access is MEH if you can get a better race (halfling) for free, then just wait till the DB is free.....

I am ALL for supporting PWE (check my history DEVS) but I have lately not been buying because there is no reason at these price points.
  • goonlaughiegoonlaughie Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2014
    If i can chose +4 Con mybe this race is for GF this can actual make him viable aganst the new favored two pvp class .

That's a good question! When they say +2 to any two stats, does this mean you can put +4 of the dragonborn race points into ONE SINGLE STAT?

It would be good to have clarification on this, so people can make more informed decisions on whether or not to buy this pack or not.
    edited July 2014
    If the marketing people had half a brain they would create another pack that was just the Race unlock and a race change token and sell it for $20, people would buy the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of it.

Then noone would buy this pack.

Heck, for even $60 id prob just all over it.... I mean thats 75/60 = 25% decrease. YOu only need a small bump in sales for $60...
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Not blessed - sure. But Not Full-Blooded ? They are full-blooded dragons, but not TRUE dragons, you would say. Or, you would, if WotC didn't contradict themselves in their own explanation.
    In other words, the bas e tard children / unblessed of dragons are called Dragonborn.
    WotC, at least in 4e, was almost always fairly non-committed about the origin: It is all legend and theory and can differ from setting to setting. If I recall the first place the whole "unblessed egg" thing was proposed was a survey regarding 5e background that idea got the least possible votes of any other concept. Among other things it doesn't make *any* sense unless dragons have been secretly hiding aggressive theological leanings since the game started, adventurers who stole dragon eggs always coincidentally did it after said blessing, and the two draconic entities (and there veneration by dragons) was near universal in all settings. Other (more reasonable) legendary backgrounds for them from various books include them being other races suffering a magical curse/blessing, some spilled drops of Io's blood that mixed with dirt, something entirely new Io created purposely one day when bored, dragon eggs corrupted by a ritual, the next step in kobold evolution, cross-breeds created my ancient mages with to much time on their hands, and the results of a humans mating with dragons that had employed the natural polymorph ability some types have.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That's a good question! When they say +2 to any two stats, does this mean you can put +4 of the dragonborn race points into ONE SINGLE STAT?

It would be good to have clarification on this, so people can make more informed decisions on whether or not to buy this pack or not.

Amenar already clarified with the Dev post earlier in this thread - "Dragonborn get +2 to any 2 stats, you get to pick which 2 during character creation. You cannot pick the same stat twice"
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Well met all!

We got clarification about the Stat Choices and I'm pretty stoked about it! In case you missed it:

*the old mage whistles and reads the parchment aloud*
    When selecting the dragonborn, you can choose two of the following +2 stats:
    +2 Strength
    +2 Constitution
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 intelligence
    +2 Wisdom
    +2 Charisma

Looks like people are asking about the stats and racial powers - Dragonborn get +2 to any 2 stats, you get to pick which 2 during character creation. You cannot pick the same stat twice. The racial powers as currently planned for launch (note we're still on preview, and while we don't have any changes planned for these right now, it's possible something could change) are:

Draconic Heritage
    You receive 5% more healing from all sources.

Draconic Fury
    You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.
    Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The drow was labeled as Renegade Drow. These are just labeled as Dragonborn. What are the free ones going to be called? Other Dragonborn? If it was the same as the drow, these exclusive ones would be called "Dragonborn nobles" or something.
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    Best cleric race probably.
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Well met all!

We got clarification about the Stat Choices and I'm pretty stoked about it! In case you missed it:

*the old mage whistles and reads the parchment aloud*
    When selecting the dragonborn, you can choose two of the following +2 stats:
    +2 Strength
    +2 Constitution
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 intelligence
    +2 Wisdom
    +2 Charisma

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator

Id REALLY like to know, how the "increase crit by 3%" if thats a flat 3% increased crit chance, or a 3% OF your crit...
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the info zeb :)
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the Dragonborn Package page is down for Further clarification? Or because we complain too much?

Probably because people are buying madly and the server can't cope. Just kidding.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the Dragonborn Package page is down for Further clarification? Or because we complain too much?

I hope it's the latter and they are sprucing up the package. Because it's pretty lackluster as it is. I can't see myself buying this at this time as the value (to me, obviously) just isn't there.
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is it just me or does the dragonborn face look like a guinea pig?
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could we get some better screenshots of the race, maybe even a video? I sincerely hope that there aren't any females in the example shown, I'd hope they'd be a little more feminine. Do they have tails? I can't really tell. And will they come with their own little race quests, like the others have as you level up?
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    The drow was labeled as Renegade Drow. These are just labeled as Dragonborn. What are the free ones going to be called? Other Dragonborn? If it was the same as the drow, these exclusive ones would be called "Dragonborn nobles" or something.

They could easily name them "Lesser Dragonborn", or something to that extent. You know that they'll remove the complete stats choice in favor of a main +2 Cha and secondary of either +2 Str or +2 Con, if they ever release a free version.
  • strykor1977strykor1977 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone actually made a toon with these guys? All I get on character creation is is the race name halfway off the left side of the screen, and no image of them.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone actually made a toon with these guys? All I get on character creation is is the race name halfway off the left side of the screen, and no image of them.

They aren't available until the 14th of next month.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Dragonborn look more like Budgies. More like Kenkuborn...
This discussion has been closed.