Install Arc
Options

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    glorygemm wrote: »
    But if you buy after the 14. then? 25% more for the same pack!
    Is this your money? Then let each one choose how to spend it!

Ummm, no - that would be 33% more. I know: math is finicky. :)

As for the comment about "laughing at someone with more mont than brains" - you sound envious. Whatever. Sure the Dev/Marketing people are watching this thread. It's real easy to just poo-poo things proclaiming "too expensive, I'll never buy it!" But some of you will.

Hey Devs: I'm in. I'm thinking to roll a fresh Dragonborn Warlock on Armored Polar Bear Mount. This is a nice surprise announcement that I certainly didnt see coming. Bravo!!

Oh wait - I guess that means I have more cash than brains. So be it. At least I'll be having fun and my monetary support helps keep the game free for the rest of you not willing to buy anything because it's all "too expensive". And you not buying anything is fine by me and there's nothing wrong with that.

Whoops! Who's laughing now? I don't know and I don't care because everything I do in neverwinter is for myself, not you. LOL
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Dragon mount - Id buy instantly.... ALOT of ppl would.

Someone else earlier posted this, but if they cut the price to $50, theyd get more than double the sales id guarantee it! Do the math on that.... price cut by only 50% (from $75 to $50) but more than double sales? Even though the race is still MEH to me, id end up buying right now for $50.

It might of been me because I suggested that too.. My point was either make the pack worth the cost or readjust. They could of easily made this a $40 pack similar to the HR pack with the race included or actually make it worth $100.
    zebular wrote: »
    If the online facebok game is any precursor, they will have feminine-like characteristics. In PnP though, yes they have "humanoid-like" female privates.

This made me LOL more at work. hehehehe privates.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Quick word on the pricing of this if you're a European customer:

US Full Price = $99.99, US Sale Price = $74.99
    Euro Full Price = €94.99, Euro Sale Price = €71.24

BUT, but what exchange rates are PWE/Cryptic using???

Based on the US full/sale prices it should be €74.25 and €55.69.

Basing the dollar price on the PWE/Cryptic Euro prices would make it $127.89 and $95.92.

An explanation for why virtual content should be so far out of whack would be nice. Maybe there is a sensible explanation but this just makes an overpriced and value-free (my opinion) pack (no pet/mount?!) even harder to bear. Seriously guys, fair much?
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    111128.jpg

f-dragonborn-rogue.jpg

ZEB Your kidding me ? THose things are from dnd Lore.....

That seems more in line with Snake than Dragon....
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    111128.jpg

f-dragonborn-rogue.jpg

A bikini on a lizard lady ? So confused now :o
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    ZEB Your kidding me ? THose things are from dnd Lore.....

Very well, from the 4e PHB Deluxe:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19171&stc=1

A bikini on a lizard lady ? So confused now :o
    Those two images were of a Dragonborn Female Rogue.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Those two images were of a Dragonborn Female Rogue.

Hmmmmm

Have you ever seen the Male/Female Draconic race from Tera/Tera Rising

Now that's a Dragon born!!!!!! :)

These guys looks like Steve Rogers before he became captain america Ha-Ha
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014

These things are just watered down Draconians from Dragonlance.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the info. Have to say im pretty disappointed. Halflings make better tanks than Dragonborn... Ive seen it all!

Wonder if 5% more healing includes regen...

Really sad about Draconic Fury.... Look at 4e

"Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls." REALLY wish this was something like "When your under 50% HP, increases your power and Critical strike by 3%"

Would be much better than a 5% chance on hit for a 6 sec buff.....

These racials are really lackluster compared to Halforcs and Tieflings. However, they will make good clerics, 5% more on self-heals and finally a race which can get +2 to STR and WIS.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not to sound like a broken record, but isn't the Euro price higher because they have to charge VAT?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Quite the contrary, actually. I would *not* want female dragonborn to have <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> - it just doesn't make sense. In fact, aren't most female reptiles larger than the males? I'd expect the difference to be mostly coloration, spines/frills or lack thereof...
    No, i figured as much - just showing the sarcastic side. And I agree - seeing breast on a reptilian is ridiculous. Or, is the dragon-born race a hybrid of sorts?
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Forget all the junk that comes with it, just give us a separate way to get the race, only part I care about in that pack!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Not to sound like a broken record, but isn't the Euro price higher because they have to charge VAT?
    Yes, I had forgotten under EU law that non-EU businesses providing digital electronic commerce and entertainment products and services to EU countries are also required to register with the tax authorities in the relevant EU member state, and to collect VAT on their sales at the appropriate rate, according to the location of the purchaser.

Therefore (for me in UK, VAT is 20%) the full price should be $119.99 and €89.10 - $90.00 and €66.83.

Still off.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Forget all the junk that comes with it, just give us a separate way to get the race, only part I care about in that pack!

Doubtful because they know this... Either 1) drop price or 2) Include like 2000-4000 zen to make this pack worth while....

What this does is essentially "forces" the purchase of zen which will help the ZAX - SOME....
  • Options
    zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I failed to see the tag price of this pack by a whopping 100$.

You are not loosing anything by selling this commodity since this is a virtual item(infinite supply) by reducing the tagged price you would be able to entice more people to buy this thing yet you are putting it on the above average gamer.

Low Price = more people buying it = bigger income
    High price = less people buying it = lesser income

people in PWE advertisement really need to get their head straight - they don't know the idea behind a simple economics
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was looking at the details on the pack a little further - regarding the fashion set(s), it says:

"For more dangerous situations, this tough outfit is perfect for a Dragonborn preparing for combat. The Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set also comes with a armor transmute item. These are an account-wide unlock. Each character on your account can acquire a Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set and transmutable Head item from the Dragonborn Legend Pack."

Is the "transmutable Head item" something else not shown? Will it and the other fashion sets be reclaimable over and over again?

Also, what are "Tears of Bahamut"? I only see the image for the pack that contains 5 of these tears...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    2) Include like 2000-4000 zen to make this pack worth while....

What this does is essentially "forces" the purchase of zen which will help the ZAX - SOME....

Interesting point, forgot the other two cheaper packs had 600K Astral Diamonds with them. Glad they did not do that (or should they...??) or the exchange would be further clogged. Suspect that no Zen would ever be included other than their current pay-for-Zen business model but I must admit I do like the idea of including Zen in the pack.
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really wanted to be Dragonborn, and pushed for it on the live feed...
    but I can't afford both the race and owning a dragon mount or companion.

If you'd have included even a green level dragon mount or companion I'd have jumped on it.
    As it is, I'll be saving up for those, instead.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    goonlaughiegoonlaughie Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2014
    I thought we were going to be getting dragonborn race. So why do they look like they are modeled after iguanas? :(
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I thought we were going to be getting dragonborn race. So why do they look like they are modeled after iguanas? :(

Agreed!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PWE strike again.

Seriously though, whoever prices this stuff needs a serious reality check. If they charged $20 (give or take $5) for the race by itself, I feel like they'd make way more money than charging $75-$100 on this bag of bologna.

I pretty much agree...I'd like the race, just for RP purposes, but have zero interest in the rest...so, I'm not buying this. I have spent some serious $$$ on things I like in Neverwinter...this is not one of those.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    These things are just watered down Draconians from Dragonlance.

Actually, they are related to them as Draconians are an off-shoot species of Dragonborn now.

Also, here's an excerpt from WotC on Dragonborn:
    A dragon requires the blessing of Bahamut or Tiamat to give birth to true dragons. If a dragon has a clutch of eggs that hasn't received the proper blessing, the hatchlings are not true dragons, but dragonborn. A dragonborn is a Medium humanoid with a scaly hide, clawed hands and feet, and draconic features (albeit no tail or wings). Its features resemble its draconic parents'. A dragonborn with red dragon parents, for example, has red scales and the distinctive horns and cheek frills of a red dragon.

In some worlds, dragonborn are a race unto themselves, having interbred for so long that they have taken on a more uniform appearance, with scales of reddish-brown or gold.

As with any race, they have multiple ancestry stories, which are all told in the 4e Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn supplement. However, they are all similar in that they are not full blooded dragons and have humanoid characteristics which results in a humanoid dragon creature.
  • Options
    xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is how free to play works. 10% of the players pay. 90 percent freeload and don't pay a thing. So the company, not just Cryptic, jacks up the prices as high as possible, where items will still sell (whether lower prices would net the more money is another debate, I think they would make more). So they overcharge the 10%, to make up for the 90% who freeload.

So the options are really simple. Only play sub based games or just play and don't buy anything you find to be too much.
    Or set a limit of say 14.99 a month, and treat it like a sub.
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I found a size chart here
    BWcSc2C.jpg
    And some good examples of dragon born in 4th
    Guardian fighter
    Fl9iiPd.jpg
    Trickster Rogue
    e6vlGPB.jpg
    Different class mixed group Melee
    DEBzFvk.jpg

More on next post
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Warlock
    5qULjK8.jpg
    Not sure as heavy armor and two weapons, wait its a fighter.
    mDhxpbb.jpg

These are draconians from dragon lance
    qSv4Lc9.jpg

And this is Sir twich of the Great oak Squirrel Paladin "both of which are not playable yet"
    6IXG3IF.png
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zhaofuo wrote: »
    Low Price = more people buying it = bigger income
    High price = less people buying it = lesser income

people in PWE advertisement really need to get their head straight - they don't know the idea behind a simple economics
    Or maybe they actually do. Remember that there is a sweet spot at which the price per unit times quantity sold maximizes profit: Lowering price significantly below that point will hurt revenue because you aren't gaining enough sales to compensate thanks to saturation among the target buyers. As a simple example, every time you cut a price in half, you have to *double* the units sold to just break even (and that is assuming an item with zero production cost like this one). It could just be that their market analysis indicated that $100 is the ideal value for maximizing price x units.
  • Options
    myrnymmyrnym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    Or maybe they actually do. Remember that there is a sweet spot at which the price per unit times quantity sold maximizes profit: Lowering price significantly below that point will hurt revenue because you aren't gaining enough sales to compensate thanks to saturation among the target buyers. As a simple example, every time you cut a price in half, you have to *double* the units sold to just break even (and that is assuming an item with zero production cost like this one). It could just be that their market analysis indicated that $100 is the ideal value for maximizing price x units.

$75 is not the sweet spot, given the mediocre contents of this pack.

And whatever $$$ they spent for the designer on those fashion sets was lit on fire anyway.
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I found a size chart here
    BWcSc2C.jpg
    I love that the chart features Smurf.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »

I don't buy it. I just don't see how this is an ideal price point. I know countless people that love to buy things like races in f2p mmo's but none of them would consider paying this much even with the perks added in.
This discussion has been closed.