Install Arc
Options

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I am fine with a paywall but that price is silly. As many others have stated if it was unlock race only for a lower price I would do that

That would also work , if they HAVE to charge to unlock the race then it should be a $10 dollar unlock for just the race and the pack should include a mount or companion , doing it this way is a guaranteed way to stir up a big backlash .

The only problem is that they have already started selling the packs so even if they wanted to they couldn't change it because then the people who have already bought it would all carry on , personally I'm just glad the new race isn't OP , I'll just stick to making my Warlock a Teifling xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I also wouldn't be opposed to a lower price pack that unlocks the race. I would happily give $20 dollars for the unlock. Though like Iam said above and I said earlier in the thread, they have backed themselves into a corner if they offer the race another way those that spent the absurd amount of money on the pack will go ballistic! They should have announced the pack but not let it start to sell till next week so they could have seen the response to the plan and adjusted accordingly, since they didn't no matter what happens at this point it will become a mess. I just think they need to figure out which of the messes they are more willing to deal with. Alienating a large amount of the player base that will slowly spiral larger as the Mod gets closer to launch - or - anger the people that already got the pack (which if you threw in a few other things could be appeased easily). This will be very interesting to watch and will speak volumes to the future of this game and the company as a large.

Also they need to remember this is just one small venue for the people that are unhappy with the choices, other gaming sites/blogs are starting to talk about this situation and you should see the torches and pitchforks being gathered on those as we speak. Most of the people on this venue already play the game, the other venues are viewed by people who "Might" be interested in this game but are now having second thoughts since this situation has started trending.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Additionally: All countries within the European Union (The UK is in the European Union contrary to some beliefs) are subject to the VAT. As such prices reflect the conversion plus the VAT.

Eh, I would like to point out that the (higher) Euro price is also charged in countries in Europe that are NOT in the EU...can you give me a reason for that?
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I find it absolutely absurd that players are demanding it to be free

You find it absurd that people want what's always been given to them to keep balance? Whenever a race has been released there's always been a free version released at some point similar to it.
  • Options
    kaseicornkaseicorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    75 Dollars is ridiculous for that pack. They should just set up a subscription service instead of cash grabbing the small percentage of their player base that can just afford to drop that much money on a worthless pack. $10? $20? Understandable. $75? in no way worth it
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    The only problem is that they have already started selling the packs so even if they wanted to they couldn't change it because then the people who have already bought it would all carry on , personally I'm just glad the new race isn't OP , I'll just stick to making my Warlock a Teifling xD

Since the items are not actually granted till the 14th, its not to late for them to:
    1) Declare $75 to be the permanent price rather then just a sale price.
    2) Add more functional content to the pack to improve its value. Previous packs of this scale included an appropriate pet (I would think something like a recolored pseudodragon would be good here), a mount (I'm sure there is one in development that could be shifted to the purpose), an in-game/forum title (could be present but not listed), and some astral (though this is probably is not an option in any case here).

With the addition of a worthy mount and pet added to the existing content the pack would start to look more in line with a value of $75. And if they added to upcoming pack contents now, I highly doubt any of the early purchasers would object as they would be getting more stuff.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I thought "Chicken" too when I first saw it.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    tonotjeetonotjee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    Since the items are not actually granted till the 14th, its not to late for them to:
    1) Declare $75 to be the permanent price rather then just a sale price.
    2) Add more functional content to the pack to improve its value. Previous packs of this scale included an appropriate pet (I would think something like a recolored pseudodragon would be good here), a mount (I'm sure there is one in development that could be shifted to the purpose), an in-game/forum title (could be present but not listed), and some astral (though this is probably is not an option in any case here).

With the addition of a worthy mount and pet added to the existing content the pack would start to look more in line with a value of $75. And if they added to upcoming pack contents now, I highly doubt any of the early purchasers would object as they would be getting more stuff.

I agree fully with this, I would probably buy it then, and if the price is not going to come down to 75$ they should make the bags for every character or something along those line
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    and some astral
    For the love of Gods, no more Astral Diamonds! Otherwise, yes, what you're saying makes a lot of sense... Although, I don't see them doing that. They are either too blind or to stubborn to admit what's going on.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    thetrueazurethetrueazure Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh dear.

Well, tell you what. As someone who's a big fan of the Dragonborn race in the traditional pen-and-paper 4E (I'm playing one right now!), I was excited to see the announcement.

Then, I saw the price.

Examining the pack to see if it was still worth doing, I found that... no, it really sort of isn't. There isn't a value of 75 bucks in the pack, let alone 100. :/

Mind you, if the race became available on its own, without the needless embelishments of the pack, at 10-20 bucks? I'd buy it. There wouldn't be a second thought. I'd be hitting that 'confirm purchase' button right this second instead of typing this post and feeling pleased for it.

As it is, it essentially comes down to the race and a single 30-slot back for my 9-character account for 75/100 USD, and, well... I'm sorry, but I don't think it's worth that much. :( More or less all high-end games and expansion packs alone cost less than that. Charging that price for a race and a bag is... well. Exceedingly optimistic, I suppose.

As far as I'm concerned, without either majorly sprucing the pack up (less desired) or offering the race on its own with a more reasonable price (YES! PLEASE!), I will just have to live without it.
  • Options
    zuthuulzuthuul Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry but I'm not gonna drop $75 (on sale) on a race and some enchants that I can buy later for AD. GG PW, you've come out with yet another overpriced in game pack that barely contributes to game play. Why not make a $20 pack like you di for when the HR came out? Give us another character slot, the race and maybe the bahamut cape or something like that in the pack.

Dragon Server

Ragnos Fireborn - 18.7k GWF Half-Elf
    Eva Darkblood - 13.8k TR Elf
    Venger Force of Evil - 13.7k CW Tiefling
    Azaghal Belegost - 16.5k GF Dwarf
    Drak'ar - 13.3k HR Drow
    Roghthar Darkspawn - 11.5k SW Human
  • Options
    xavianstarsiderxavianstarsider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have bought a handful of packs from ARC including Knight of the Feywild and Hero of Neverwinter, ,and did so happily ,but I have to say that I do not see the value in this pack at all. While the race looks great, it's a TERRIBLE value compared to other packs. For $15-$40 more than Feywild, you get:

* No mount
    * No companion
    * No astral diamonds (usually you get 20% of the price of the pack in astral diamonds value. This pack SHOULD come with 1 million AD. Where are they?)
    * A 30-slot bag (compared to a 24-slot bag) and so many trinkets to fill it with that you end up with less item slots added than Feywild gives you.

Also, two big problems with the dragonborn.
    1) The Dragonborn race in D&D is most complimentary to the paladin class, which is not available in Neverwinter.
    2) No mention of the Dragonborn's most iconic ability. The breath attack (which should be available as a racial-based encounter power). I'm assuming that if they could actually use a breath attack, it would have been mentioned somewhere.

And really, the fashion items are armor? Well gosh, now when I feel like relaxing I can take my armor off and put my armor on!

Actual value of pack. $40-$50 at best.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    If you all have any questions regarding Dragonborn lore and history in the Realms or even just in 4e in general, you may wish to check out the following source materials. As always, I'll be happy to answer any specific lore questions relating to the Realms' dragonborn or research an answer if I do not know. Just ask me in this linked thread!

Source Material Suggestions:
    • 4e Player's Handbook: Races - Dragonborn (Best source of lore & data that updated the race for 4th Edition)
    • 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (Lore contained through-out)
    • 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (Race detailed as a player race & lore contained through-out)
    • 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting (Only DM info for select NPCs, no lore)
    • 4e Players Handbook Deluxe (Race detailed as a player race & lore contained through-out)
    • 4e Player's Handbook 2 (Small lore tidbits through out)
    • 4e Player's Handbook 3 (Small lore tidbits through out)
    • Born of Dragons (From 2013, WotC Article by James Wyatt)
    • Ecology of the Dragonborn (From 2008, WotC Article by Chris Sims & Dragon Magazine PDF)
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have my CC ready, you just gotta make it worth it Cryptic. $75 for that is very lackluster. Ridiculously so. You need to lower the price, almost in half, for that to be worth it. Or, add in several items. Epic mount, zen, etc.

Cryptic, please, I want to pay you guys for your work on making this race. It takes $$ to design the race, artifact, gear, etc. But I am not going to let you abuse me. Make it $35 for that package, or add in a TON of stuff, or else you are losing money from me. Which is a shame, since you already put in the cost.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I have to admit there was a lot of chaff in with the wheat in this particular pack.

While I have no interest in playing a Dragonborn I was actually planning on buying this anyway because I assumed it would be like the last couple of packs. You know $60 for a race, mount, companion, and some AD.

Instead its $100 (discounted to $75 only for a limited time) and you get a bunch of frankly, junk. I have a vague interest in the fashion but no idea if its compatible with non Dragonborn so please tell me why I would want to spend anything on this pack?

My recommendation is to come up with a completely new pack more in line with pre-existing pack prices and content.

I should amplify my comments - I'm easily an MMO whale in general, so when I hesitate to spend money on my entertainment your company or management has done something horribly wrong.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gardat wrote: »
    Yeah I have to admit there was a lot of chaff in with the wheat in this particular pack.

While I have no interest in playing a Dragonborn I was actually planning on buying this anyway because I assumed it would be like the last couple of packs. You know $60 for a race, mount, companion, and some AD.

Instead its $100 (discounted to $75 only for a limited time) and you get a bunch of frankly, junk. I have a vague interest in the fashion but no idea if its compatible with non Dragonborn so please tell me why I would want to spend anything on this pack?

My recommendation is to come up with a completely new pack more in line with pre-existing pack prices and content.

I should amplify my comments - I'm easily an MMO whale in general, so when I hesitate to spend money on my entertainment your company or management has done something horribly wrong.

Truth and Agreed! +1
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was feeling really good about this purchase till i read this thread... I was like 'ok 75 is like a good night drinking at the bar or dinner with the wife...' i will get hours and hours of entertainment from this... but i assumed the bag was per toon and thought the timer was 2 days not 2 hours...

But as we saw with HotN the changed the offering before it went live... hoping the do the same here.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hehe yeah, I still have a ton of unused item redeem codes for PWE games I never bothered to claim because of that pack.

Probably all expired by now but at least there was a perception of value there. Here, not so much. I really do hope they make another version of this pack, or throw in some items of actual value.

To any PWE staff member: I consider consumables worthless as do many other people, so you'll want to include something more concrete than that.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really don't see why people are complaining about the price?

So if you have 2 character Slot and buy the pack, you now have 3 possible character to claim the pack on and taking into account the 500 AD for 1 zen Ratio, That's 14453 Zen at least, only with the items that can be estimated, that's a lot more than 75$ worth.

How?:
    1 30 bag slot at 1300 zen (assumption since 24 slot is 1000 zen and 12 slot is 600 zen).
    2 Fashion Oufit at 1000 each x3 = 6000 Zen.
    1 purple ring 5500 AD(cheapest on AH) so 51 zenx3 = 153 Zen.
    1 Uncommon Artefact 220000 AD (cheapest on AH) 440 Zenx3 = 1320 Zen.
    1 Gemfinder Enchanment 550000 AD(Cheapest Fey Blessing Enchanment on AH) 1100 x3= 3300 Zen
    1 Draconic Enchanment Rank 8 530000 AD (cheapest Rank 8 on AH) 1060 Zenx3 = Zen 3180
    1 Character Slot 500 Zen
    5 Bahamut gear ???
    1 Dragobborn Race Unlock ???
    5 Glyphs ???
    * cheapest on AH is not considering the stats on items just the type *
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wow, you convinced me. I'm rushing off to buy 6 of these packs RIGHT NOW.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ▲▲▲
    You only get one bag.
    Fashion outfits have zero value to me, and most people ingame seem to just wear their combat outfits, so not popular.
    Purple rings? Dime a dozen just from playing. Blue rings can be much better due to stat choices.
    Artifact, we dont know stats, could be useless.
    Gemfinder? There's a reason Fey Blessing is cheap, because it's not popular. This has no value for someone that doesnt want to use Fey blessing.
    Etc.
    Basically it's a lot of content people dont normally want, packaged up and that you have to buy to get the dragon race.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »

So if you have 2 character Slot and buy the pack, you now have 3 possible character to claim the pack on and taking into account the 500 AD for 1 zen Ratio, That's 18353 Zen at least, only with the items that can be estimated, that's a lot more than 75$ worth.

How?:
    1 30 bag slot at 1300 zen (assumption since 24 slot is 1000 zen and 12 slot is 600 zen) x3 = 3900 zen.
    1 Gemfinder Enchanment 550000 AD(Cheapest Fey Blessing Enchanment on AH) 1100 x3= 3300 Zen
    1 Draconic Enchanment Rank 8 530000 AD (cheapest Rank 8 on AH) 1060 Zenx3 = Zen 3180
    1 Character Slot 500 Zen
    5 Bahamut gear ???
    5 Glyphs ???

1: Purple ring is HARDLY awsome
    2: Gemfinder we had for ages and all mine are 3% not 2%
    3: Dragon race looks like a lizard not a dragon imho
    4: Enchantment is useless its not a proper one like Dragonfury for main weapon
    5: Artiact is green not purple and yeah its for all toons but still

yeah think ill pass. totally ruined my hopes or Dragonborn :(

If they dont need the slot ?
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014

So if you have 2 character Slot and buy the pack, you now have 3 possible character to claim the pack on

But the Knights of the Feywild pack could be claimed on ALL 12 characters, AND the two empty slots.

Only the sub-pack of stuff that could be auctioned was redeemable by only a single character, which is fair enough.

In fact, if I discard my Unicorn, the Fashion clothes and the jewellery, I can claim them AGAIN, and only the missing items are in the packs.

There is no profit in doing that, of course, as they BoP to Character. It is a just a nice convenience thing and I am really glad they showed the wisdom, intelligence and foresight to code it that way.

When my Priestess got fed up of wearing her Courtesan outfit (bottom half only, dyed black, 40k AD from AH), she claimed the Elven fashions for the second time and dyed them with Clerical Dye packs she had made with her Alchemy skill. MUCH nicer.

My Halfling CW just uses them at the default Blue colour, as Wizard Dye packs are blue anyway.

My Halfling TR wears only the top half, as you cannot sneak and skulk about with a long, flowing dress on, but she dyed it with Inferno colours and later dyed it Black.

And so on...

My Halfling GWF wears a Courtesan outfit dyed green or with a Ranger colour pack, as she is an Amazon Warrior, and it looks REALLY nice. I forget where she got it from, but it was free.

I WOULD be interested in seeing a full analysis of everything in the DB pack and the stats on it all and what they all do, what can be auctioned and so on.

But I would never purchase it unless the following happened first:

1. the characters looked like Noble Draconians instead of Deformed Budgies
    2. the character meshes fitted all the in-game gear without clipping
    3. the full price was reduced to £30

There is so much more to buy which is better value for my cash.

Cheers!
    ~
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014

So if you have 2 character Slot and buy the pack, you now have 3 possible character to claim the pack on and taking into account the 500 AD for 1 zen Ratio, That's 18353 Zen at least, only with the items that can be estimated, that's a lot more than 75$ worth.*

That's all fine and good - but the other pack like this they released were a lot less expensive with much better stuff, we at least deserve consistency.

Here is my main problem: We were promised in the beginning never to have to pay for content (you might disagree but to probably 90% of us a race IS content) in this game, up until this pack they have kept their word, the moon elf and other drow were just reskins not a big deal. This one is the first one I see as full on breaking the promise we beta and early adapters were made. To add insult to injury they don't even offer the pack at an affordable price, even at $60 it MIGHT be worth it but at $75, on sale from $100, its simply to expensive for what is in it. Only 4 items are account wide (2 fashion sets, artifact, ring), all other items are single character and some of them expire after 2 hours of use. I bought both the Guardian and the Feywild pack they had $60 price points, came with Purple Pet and Mount, and tons of other stuff, not to mention AD, and everything was account wide and nothing expired. On top of that if I hadn't wanted to get the feywild pack I would still have access to an Eladrim Race that wasn't a lot different then the one in the pack besides color pallet. From what we were told on Facebook yesterday and what the pack says this is the ONLY way to get the race, there will be no free version, until we are told otherwise this is what we have to base our knowledge on.
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by djarkaan View Post

So if you have 2 character Slot and buy the pack, you now have 3 possible character to claim the pack on and taking into account the 500 AD for 1 zen Ratio, That's 18353 Zen at least, only with the items that can be estimated, that's a lot more than 75$ worth.

How?:
    1 30 bag slot at 1300 zen (assumption since 24 slot is 1000 zen and 12 slot is 600 zen) x3 = 3900 zen.
    1 Character Slot 500 Zen
    5 Bahamut gear ???
    5 Glyphs ???

1: Purple ring is HARDLY awsome
    2: Gemfinder we had for ages and all mine are 3% not 2%
    3: Dragon race looks like a lizard not a dragon imho
    4: Enchantment is useless its not a proper one like Dragonfury for main weapon
    5: Artiact is green not purple and yeah its for all toons but still
    Agree - Since I don't care about fashion (and I think that cosmetic items should NEVER be counted as added value when determining the price of a pack) and some of other items are useless at 60, it boils down to :
    A green artifact, a purple ring that I probably will never use, a gemfinder enchant I probably will use rarely, a rank 8 enchantment I will probably never use (unless i can put it into refining the artifact), and glyphs that are temporary. No account-wide mount, no account-wide companion.
    Using your zen numbers, i place this pack at about a $33 value.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ▲▲▲
    You only get one bag.
    Updated with one bag, still is worth it IF you consider buying these items with Zen converted to AD, you get more out of the pack.
  • Options
    losttraverserlosttraverser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was really looking forward to a new race but very disappointed that it is now going to be a pay to play race only. This is a poor idea for neverwinter to take towards its players and hope that they do decided to change their minds on making this a pay to play race only. I could care less about everything that comes with this pack most of it looks worthless and there is already better in the game.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Updated with one bag, still is worth it IF you consider buying these items with Zen converted to AD, you get more out of the pack.

It might be worth it to you. To the vast majority of people, including myself, it's not. There's really nothing more to it than that.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    It might be worth it to you. To the vast majority of people, including myself, it's not. There's really nothing more to it than that.

^ this^ - If we were keeping score of the thread it is what now - maybe 2 for worth it, 98 for not worth it (numbers are generalizations but you see my point).
This discussion has been closed.