test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jst want to point out something ppl seem to have missed: the Gemfinder Enchants says GEMS for refining. That says to me it will be dropping Peridots, Sapphires, etc. In my mind that makes it slightly better than a Fey blessing that at most drops R4s
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jst want to point out something ppl seem to have missed: the Gemfinder Enchants says GEMS for refining. That says to me it will be dropping Peridots, Sapphires, etc. In my mind that makes it slightly better than a Fey blessing that at most drops R4s

Even if that's true you only get 1 on a single character (not account wide) and it still doesn't make up for the price or the fact you have to pay to play a race.
  • nixxionixxio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This pack reminds me of the awful thing the hero of the north pack was before they edited it and threw in the astral diamonds and the other goodies, what's laughable is that it's 'on sale' for 75$! Act now and you can receive a free 'we took your money sign' autographed by the president of Perfect World! What a perfect world we live in! Seriously, this pack is just pitiful for what you get, the fey wild pack was 50 something the price of a new console game and it gave more then what this 'legend' pack offers, this is a clear and desperate cash grab and they should be ashamed by this practice, Guild Wars 2 wouldn't even try to ship this in their gem store. /end rant.

As for improving the pack and bringing it up to the insane asking price of 75 USD, which is still absurd, they could throw in a mount like the fey wild pack or some enchanted keys, a large sum of astral diamonds, and some other colorful items that I can't think of.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pearls. If you think this is going to drop mostly peridots, aquamarines and such I've a bridge over the River Never to sell you.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pearls. If you think this is going to drop mostly peridots, aquamarines and such I've a bridge over the River Never to sell you.

Actually, I am the new, legitimate owner of Castle Never and I have placed it on the market to be transported brick by brick to any part of the Forgotten Realms the customer desires.

Just sign on the dotted line, and as soon as the 10 million Zen, 100 million AD, 100,000 Coal Wards and 500 each of all Perfect and Rank 10 Enchants clears through my account, there is a Halfling in Protector's Enclave who will begin the process for you.

~
  • fmultifmulti Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2014
  • hivercidehivercide Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just out of curiosity, is there any word at all on when or even IF the Dragonborn will show up on the Preview Server? It would be nice to be able to get a look at them. And if they are supposed to be released at the same time that Tyranny of Dragons is released, then they REALLY need to have them on Preview so that people can test them and find all the lovely little bugs that experience shows WILL be there!

Which leads to another question...if they DO show up on Preview....will you have to purchase the Pack before you can test them? Because I have noticed, even though I purchased Hero of the North and Feywild packs (which are account-wide, yes?), they are NOT showing up when I log into the Preview server. So if I buy the pack but it doesn't show on Preview, how am I supposed to test it?
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hivercide wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is there any word at all on when or even IF the Dragonborn will show up on the Preview Server? It would be nice to be able to get a look at them. And if they are supposed to be released at the same time that Tyranny of Dragons is released, then they REALLY need to have them on Preview so that people can test them and find all the lovely little bugs that experience shows WILL be there!

Which leads to another question...if they DO show up on Preview....will you have to purchase the Pack before you can test them? Because I have noticed, even though I purchased Hero of the North and Feywild packs (which are account-wide, yes?), they are NOT showing up when I log into the Preview server. So if I buy the pack but it doesn't show on Preview, how am I supposed to test it?
    Ask yourself if loamweave works and you'll get your answer.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, is NW only supposed to be for wealthy people?

Seems like the marketing is directed to small percentage of players.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    It might be worth it to you. To the vast majority of people, including myself, it's not. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Agreed if you don't want what's in the pack, don't buy it, all I'm saying is the content of the pack is worth 75$ even more, if they came up with a 75$ pack with 15 character slot, it would be worth 75$, if you don't want 15 character slot then you wouldn't buy it. But saying that the content is worth 30$ is completely off.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Agreed if you don't want what's in the pack, don't buy it, all I'm saying is the content of the pack is worth 75$ even more, if they came up with a 75$ pack with 15 character slot, it would be worth 75$, if you don't want 15 character slot then you wouldn't buy it. But saying that the content is worth 30$ is completely off.

Something is "worth" only what someone will pay for it. If it is worth $30 to that guy that that is it. If it is worth $75 to you than that is it.

Worth is not validated by the proprietor who sets the price, it is validated by the consumer, who buys it at that price.

Why not sell the items a la carte? Because there are a bunch of not-so-good items in there that would have $0 worth on their own (as in probably next to no one would purchase them without the dragonborn attached). Therefore adding (falsely) perceived value to a "pack" when anyone ever really only wanted the race in the first place.
  • palkodiumpalkodium Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »

So why Knight of the Feywild costs $59,99 but its calculated to be $150. Hero of the North costs $199 and all in it is calsulated to be $700. Guardian of Neverwinter Pack is $59.99 and to be calculated to be $140 (from offical neverwinter wiki).

Even if its worth that much for all the junk it is in, its just way too much to me to buy. When i first saw the race my first thought was to be a instant buy, I like and love dragons and all the dragonkinds but after seeing the price tag.... No mount, no companion. Some timed gems which will disapear when using them at somepoint and costumes? Just way too much to pay. I would just buy Guardian of Neverwinter Pack instead knowing its worth more that random overpriced costumes.
  • thumbtackjakethumbtackjake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That's certainly what it would seem like. If I had to guess, they are looking for 10% of the player base to buy this. If they charged for the race by itself for say something reasonable, like $20, it would take 40% (closer to 38%) of players buying it to make the same money as just 10% dropping $75 on the full pack.

For example, let's say there are 10,000 players.

10% would be 1000 players.
    1000 players spend $75 giving them $75,000
    40% would be 4000 players
    4000 players spend $20 giving them $80,000

Perhaps they don't feel that nearly half their players would want to spend money at all? Of course, the question is; Is it 10% that are willing to spend $75? Or is it 10% that are willing to spend money at all, with most of that 10% NOT willing to spend this kind of money? I feel it's the later.
  • stomacstomac Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Having been a long time STO player this move be Cryptic dose NOT surprise me, I will Not try to speak for others but having bought the Fey-wiled Pack, I personally feel I got a good value out it (with 4 Max lvl Charters) and would be more then willing to buy this pack BUT at the 75$ price point with out an account wide Mount and Companion I just can't see myself buying this pack as currently is, the Costumes are Cool but are of no real interest to me, the Consumables are just joke to me (again I am speaking only for myself these type of items may ok with others) at this point like every one here voicing there thoughts I can only hope that Cryptic will add to this pack But I fear it will probably take poor sales numbers of this pack before we see any more changes to it,

But if there Sales numbers are doing well for this pack then this thread may just be Mote.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stomac wrote: »
    Having been a long time STO player this move be Cryptic dose NOT surprise me, I will Not try to speak for others but having bought the Fey-wiled Pack, I personally feel I got a good value out it (with 4 Max lvl Charters) and would be more then willing to buy this pack BUT at the 75$ price point with out an account wide Mount and Companion I just can't see myself buying this pack as currently is, the Costumes are Cool but are of no real interest to me, the Consumables are just joke to me (again I am speaking only for myself these type of items may ok with others) at this point like every one here voicing there thoughts I can only hope that Cryptic will add to this pack But I fear it will probably take poor sales numbers of this pack before we see any more changes to it,

But if there Sales numbers are doing well for this pack then this thread may just be Mote.

I think part of the issue is, that most of the pack really isnt anything new... People would be buying this for JUST the RACE TBH.

Fashion items - cool but not worth paying for.
    Enchants - alternatives exist already in game.

I mean IF this kit came with maybe ancient mulhord(sp?) Main hand AND off hand for a Warlock, that was BoE more players might be interested since then it would be gear they could sell or use to level a warlock themselves... Just a thought.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014

lol. totally forgot White pearls even existed....

and ur absolutely right, thats probably 95% of what it'll drop
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, is NW only supposed to be for wealthy people?

That has been confirmed by somebody who says they work at cryptic who has posted on reddit trying to explain their reasoning -
    We have to put things in the game to cater to the group of hardcore players with a lot of disposable income. They're huge subsidizers of every one else in the game.

Still don't get why they couldn't sell the pack with a mount or companion and leave the race free or $10 dollars or something along those lines and also strange they explain on reddit but not on official forum.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We have to put things in the game to cater to the group of hardcore players with a lot of disposable income. They're huge subsidizers of every one else in the game.

Put them in sure (I mean heck I bought a HotN pack so I'm not adverse to spending money) just make them something that most people would actually find worth it. This isn't it.
  • nirraddrappehsnirraddrappehs Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Look stop blaming cryptic any company who made COH is ok in my books the real culprits are PWE, first of all they don't know what the words free to play means.

but "free to try" doesn't have the same pulling power right?

I understand they want money they cant keep running for free and the cash shop works but its the pricing I have issue with. they ask the same price for dlc and a couple of trinkets that are good for one character to be valued as much as 2 brand new games on any console or most pc games.

PWE should adopt the subscriber system I would pay 14.99 month to have full access hand me 500 zen a month to save for cash shop purchases or a flat 50% discount on all purchases as a subscriber. I wish I could say nobody will buy any dlc for $100.00 but its not true but I can say safely is most players in this and any other community will not pay that much for so little.

we are not stupid most of us know this is a blatant cash grab you have no intentions of trying to sell this product for $100.00 and even if you do in months mabe a year the price will drop significantly.

you tried to sell a single artifact for $65.00 for a book of the dead and it wasn't even epic lvl it was green.

I bet they didn't sell like hotcakes but if it was $15.00 I would have bought 1 so would have hundreds mabe thousands more like me.

PWE keeps trying to sell dlc for the prices almost nobody will pay they all try to be the next wow instead they fall flat because they all forget that unless you live in south Korea, my game items and account hold no real world value.
    why would I pay hundreds of dollars for additional content I already have to pay $15 just for coladessent wards and other necessities to make a competing character for end game so my gear score isn't shunned from Every Dungion.

There,s already a lot of chatter going around about people leaving, and always the same reason "dissatisfaction"!!!

You have ppl who love D&D leaving because PWE created a pay to win structure Why should anyone have to work overtime to help justify why they can afford to blow $100.00 for something that's not even a full game just some bells and whistles.

every DLC pack you offer very little for far too much, yes some people can afford it but the bulk of your community cant.
    you have kids who are in school and got to mom or dad and ask for $75.00 or a $100 for a dumb down draconian who needs an artifact to breath fire a feature that should be inherent to the race anyway.

Its not too late to change the course... ask for subscribers and lower your pricing remember most gamers can't or wont pay more than the price of a new game to get dlc right now that will eventually be free anyway.

but if it was $15-$20 dollars and they were already paying $15 a month as well as many will especially for easy access to the hard to get items.

Its working for wow,swtor, and many more hop in the wagon there's still room.
  • marcin1513marcin1513 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why it's paid ?
    If I have good understood, after the end of sale pack with new race, it will be free or it will be available in ZEN ?
  • zakharizakhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    The price is a bit outrageous for junk. I haven't seen any tidbits on if the new module is going to be anything except a new race. While I don't mind paying for a new race, because I truly believe in supporting the games I play, this is ridiculous. At least give us a cheaper "econo" version of the race without the bells and whistles for the 100$ pack. Yea, arc gives a 25% discount right now, but it's still a ridiculous amount of money for a race unlock and some items that will only benefit one character.

I wouldn't mind paying 100$ for benefits such as increased exp or other ploys that games such as Rift give to patrons who pay for a yearly sub at once, which interestingly enough their price comes to 120$ for a year sub. I'm sorry though, I don't mean to belittle or mock anyone's hard work, but 100$ is just outrageous for what is offered.
  • kittenkaboodlekittenkaboodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Dragonborn is the only race that allows players to add +2 to any stats

I think the Human race can add +2 to any stats not only the Dragonborn :rolleyes:

+2 to any 2 stats.... So, not human. ;)
    edited July 2014
    marcin1513 wrote: »
    Why it's paid ?
    If I have good understood, after the end of sale pack with new race, it will be free or it will be available in ZEN ?

If you are referring to The Renegade (Drowl) and the Moon Elf (Sun Elf) they are basically just unique Skins the issue with the
    Dragonborn is that it's the first Actual distinct race,which is being put into a pack that many don't feel is worth the current price.
  • drakefrienddrakefriend Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2014
    I have a couple questions for you, well informed folks, about the Race change token offered in this pack.

- will it work to transform any race into any other one, or just to transform other races into dragonborn ?
    - some say that this token will be available on the Zen Market. Has this information been reliably confirmed anywhere ?
    edited July 2014
    Look stop blaming cryptic any company who made COH is ok in my books the real culprits are PWE, first of all they don't know what the words free to play means.

but "free to try" doesn't have the same pulling power right?

I understand they want money they cant keep running for free and the cash shop works but its the pricing I have issue with. they ask the same price for dlc and a couple of trinkets that are good for one character to be valued as much as 2 brand new games on any console or most pc games.

PWE should adopt the subscriber system I would pay 14.99 month to have full access hand me 500 zen a month to save for cash shop purchases or a flat 50% discount on all purchases as a subscriber. I wish I could say nobody will buy any dlc for $100.00 but its not true but I can say safely is most players in this and any other community will not pay that much for so little.

we are not stupid most of us know this is a blatant cash grab you have no intentions of trying to sell this product for $100.00 and even if you do in months mabe a year the price will drop significantly.

you tried to sell a single artifact for $65.00 for a book of the dead and it wasn't even epic lvl it was green.

I bet they didn't sell like hotcakes but if it was $15.00 I would have bought 1 so would have hundreds mabe thousands more like me.

PWE keeps trying to sell dlc for the prices almost nobody will pay they all try to be the next wow instead they fall flat because they all forget that unless you live in south Korea, my game items and account hold no real world value.
    why would I pay hundreds of dollars for additional content I already have to pay $15 just for coladessent wards and other necessities to make a competing character for end game so my gear score isn't shunned from Every Dungion.

There,s already a lot of chatter going around about people leaving, and always the same reason "dissatisfaction"!!!

You have ppl who love D&D leaving because PWE created a pay to win structure Why should anyone have to work overtime to help justify why they can afford to blow $100.00 for something that's not even a full game just some bells and whistles.

every DLC pack you offer very little for far too much, yes some people can afford it but the bulk of your community cant.
    you have kids who are in school and got to mom or dad and ask for $75.00 or a $100 for a dumb down draconian who needs an artifact to breath fire a feature that should be inherent to the race anyway.

Its not too late to change the course... ask for subscribers and lower your pricing remember most gamers can't or wont pay more than the price of a new game to get dlc right now that will eventually be free anyway.

but if it was $15-$20 dollars and they were already paying $15 a month as well as many will especially for easy access to the hard to get items.

Its working for wow,swtor, and many more hop in the wagon there's still room.

I was a long time player of STO and this the same age old cry I have seen from many ppl on the STO forums that's it's PWE and NOT Cryptic and before PWE bought Cryptic it was ATRIA that was the Bad Guy, But the simple truth is that who ever the Parent Company may be Emery and Zinkievich still run Cryptic in Los Gatos, I for one Don't want to come across as Cryptic Hater or Basher there in business to make money that the reality of it, but if they where Not around then we would not have Star Trek Online and this Neverwinter game to play, My only complaint is that some times they have Blinders on to other possible revenue sources many time threw out this tread many players have said that the would buy the Dragonborn Race if sold apart form the the Pack at fair 10-15 dollar price point Now I understand that doing this would not generate the revenues as would selling the 75$ or 100$ Pack would on Quick ROI but could actually give them better Returns over a longer Term. I know that In Los Gatos they see the types of reports with have numbers that they look at on weekly bases I don't see why Cryptic North would Not have access to same type of reports.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do think that they will eventually have a way to unlock the dragonborn race outside othe pack

Lets look at it at what individually these would be worth on the zen market...there are guesses here of course.

30 pack bag - 1500 zen(just guessing at what they would charge or will charge)
    fashion outfits - 2000 zen (1000 zen each)
    artifact - 3000 zen (just guessing here thayan book of the dead was 6000 zen and Heart of green dragon seems better)
    ring - 200 zen(nothing to compare it to accept the mulhorand so I will guesstimate 100K AD or 200 zen)
    gemfinder enchant - 1200 zen (600K AD for fey blessing currently)
    dragon glyphs - 500 zen (really no idea here since temp enchants)
    drac enchant rank 8 - 1200 zen (cheapest rank 8 600k AD)
    Bahamut regalia(Armor kits belt and neck piece) - 1000 zen (again no idea what these would be worth)
    character slot - 250 zen (half of the 500 zen for two)
    race change - 1000 zen (guesstimate again)

I didn't even put in the dragonborn race and that is 11850 zen and I consider my estimates as to what they would be on the zen market to be conservative. With the race guessing 3000 zen that would put it at 14850 zen or $148.50 and again I think that's on the low side.

I am basing this by whats on the zen market today and on current AH values for things which I couldn't find a decent approximation in the market.

If all of these things were up on the zen market individually and you actually wanted them all you would be paying a lot more.

Yes I agree many things on the zen market do seem a tad overpriced if you are paying real money but there is the zax which does allow you to eventually get the zen for things you want(remember there is nothing you actually need from the zen market to play the game and have fun).
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a couple questions for you, well informed folks, about the Race change token offered in this pack.

- will it work to transform any race into any other one, or just to transform other races into dragonborn ?
    - some say that this token will be available on the Zen Market. Has this information been reliably confirmed anywhere ?

1) You can use the race change on any race to turn it into any other race you have access to ( so if you didn't buy the fury of the feywild pack or the dragon pack you cannot use a race change to make a Dragonborn or Sun elf)

2) Yes it is going to be a cash shop item ,it was confirmed in last weeks patch notes for the preview
    server.

+2 to any 2 stats.... So, not human. ;)

The guy said it was the same as Human before it had been confirmed that it was +2 to two stats .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stomac wrote: »
    I was a long time player of STO and this the same age old cry I have seen from many ppl on the STO forums that's it's PWE and NOT Cryptic and before PWE bought Cryptic it was ATRIA that was the Bad Guy, But the simple truth is that who ever the Parent Company may be Emery and Zinkievich still run Cryptic in Los Gatos, I for one Don't want to come across as Cryptic Hater or Basher there in business to make money that the reality of it, but if they where Not around then we would not have Star Trek Online and this Neverwinter game to play, My only complaint is that some times they have Blinders on to other possible revenue sources many time threw out this tread many players have said that the would buy the Dragonborn Race if sold apart form the the Pack at fair 10-15 dollar price point Now I understand that doing this would not generate the revenues as would selling the 75$ or 100$ Pack would on Quick ROI but could actually Do better over a longer Term.

I was also thinking about this in terms of all the companies who have to share the money. Cryptic(development), PWE(operational costs such as network,servers, etc.), Hasbro and WOTC (D&D licensing). Each of these gets a share of the money spent on the game in some form or fashion. I do think they should look at some other ways of generating revenue. The zen market is pretty bare compared to other f2p games. I know its only been out of year but there really isn't as much as you would think to buy up there.
  • zakharizakhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know if the DragonBorn even has a tail?
This discussion has been closed.