Install Arc
Options

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• Options
    stomacstomac Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zakhari wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the DragonBorn even has a tail?

From the few photos they have show I don't think so, I would say it unknown right Now.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    That has been confirmed by somebody who says they work at cryptic who has posted on reddit trying to explain their reasoning -

Still don't get why they couldn't sell the pack with a mount or companion and leave the race free or $10 dollars or something along those lines and also strange they explain on reddit but not on official forum.

I see. I have a good amount of disposable income, dual income no kids. I'm not frivolous though.

I don't see why they can't sell it a la carte...except that they want to use the "extras" to try and jack up the price.
  • Options
    hivercidehivercide Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zakhari wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the DragonBorn even has a tail?

It has been stated, that they will have NO tail.
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ^ this^ - If we were keeping score of the thread it is what now - maybe 2 for worth it, 98 for not worth it (numbers are generalizations but you see my point).

Two percent is a frequently cited conversion rate (ie, paying customers) for F2P games. A lot of people say, if they lower the price more people will buy it. This is true, but let's say they made the pack half as much. Then they'd need twice as many people to buy it just to get the same revenue.

Each game is a bit different, though. Assuming two percent including all purchases large and small, are they really going to be able to do more than double at a lower price point? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely.
    So, is NW only supposed to be for wealthy people?

Seems like the marketing is directed to small percentage of players.

It basically is because those are the people generating the most revenue. Cash shops with 20-100 dollar "microtansactions", gambling boxes, etc, make me feel poor and it's one of the things I don't like about F2P games. Every time I've quit a f2p game, it's because it gets to a point I can't afford it and it makes me feel bad about it.

People ask why would someone go back to a sub game after complaining about cash shops in free games. Sub game's 15 a month never made me feel poor. It was 15 a month, and everything else was open to everyone/accomplishment based. If I had to stop playing, I just stopped playing.

It's just the psychology of cash shops/marketing that makes f2p games a bear at times. It's like going to a public lake to swim, but every time you went to the lake you had to go past all the yachts, jetskies, etc before you could. After awhile it can make you feel like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I can't think of any other, mostly accessible hobby, that makes you do that every time you want engage in it. :(

That said, everyone should remember this is just a race. It doesn't prevent anyone from enjoying the new dungeon/campaign. Hopefully we'll continue to get more campaigns with each module and perhaps more dungeons/raids which will be free and fun. :)
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My biggest issue is this: If I were a new player to the game, I'd want a pack that gave me the basic stuff to fully enjoy the content - those being a companion and a mount, which this pack gives neither. The artifact is nice, but you get one free at 20 anyway, and once you get more than 1 character to IWD, you get more free ones.

It seems like they are instead targeting this pack at players who have already been here a while, and if that's the case, they have certainly missed the mark. It has too many single-claim or consumable items for what they're charging. The fashion sets are also lackluster IMO.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    zomd wrote: »
    Two percent is a frequently cited conversion rate (ie, paying customers) for F2P games. A lot of people say, if they lower the price more people will buy it. This is true, but let's say they made the pack half as much. Then they'd need twice as many people to buy it just to get the same revenue.

Each game is a bit different, though. Assuming two percent including all purchases large and small, are they really going to be able to do more than double at a lower price point? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely.

I would Agree with you BUT the Key determining
    Factor is Time, Lets say that in 6 month time frame The 100$ pack would with out a question make more revenue then say 15$ Race Pack but would that still be a true Statement in a 2yr Time frame I can not honestly answer that question there is also something to be said for possibly continues revenue VS burst revenue.
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    My biggest issue is this: If I were a new player to the game, I'd want a pack that gave me the basic stuff to fully enjoy the content - those being a companion and a mount, which this pack gives neither. The artifact is nice, but you get one free at 20 anyway, and once you get more than 1 character to IWD, you get more free ones.
    Agreed. I'm still shocked that this pack has neither mount nor companion.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Even though no dev has said anything here one of them did post on the reddit thread that is about this topic. He tried his best to calm the firestorm over there but he failed. He had a valid argument and I would accept this argument if they had priced this at 59.99 like the Feywild and Guardian packs I bought, in fact if they had I doubt anyone would have batted an eye, at least not till they found out there was no free version of the race coming later. The fact they priced it so high above that proves that they didn't take too much time to consider the player. The items in this pack are no where near as good as what I got in Feywild yet they are charging $40 more for them, that is why many of us are upset, I don't mind paying for a race, I just think its stupid to have to pay such a ridiculous amount for it.

Sadly I fear their foolish decisions will create something of a rift in the playerbase. Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry for no real reason at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them. I am sure people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. Sadly It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring a new form of Racism to the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I like to make a possible suggestion for a mount for the New Pack Take one of the Hell Hounds in Dread Ring reskin it and use that as the mount for the the new pack and just put a claim ticket in the pack for now.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them, people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring Racism to the game, congrats!
    You mean Classism, under the typical guise of Racism.
    I don't know how wide-spread it would be, but reacting that way to a player based on their ability to purchase the pack would be a case of YOU CHOOSING to be CLASSIST.
    Just my 2c
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    You mean Classism, under the typical guise of Racism.
    I don't know how wide-spread it would be, but reacting that way to a player based on their ability to purchase the pack would be a case of YOU CHOOSING to be CLASSIST.

I was using it in a more ironic term since it will be an in game race that people would be avoiding, what ever you call it, I can assure you I will most likely not be the only person doing it. In my case its not even the fact that they could afford it and I couldn't. More power to them for having a good disposable income, I would much rather eat for the week. Its the fact that seeing the Dragonborn will remind me how much I personally feel betrayed by the devs decisions on this, so by avoiding them in groups I will be able to better enjoy my play time.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well what ever you call it I can assure you I will most likely not be the only person doing it. In my case its not even the fact that they could afford it and I couldn't. More power to em for having a disposable income! Its the fact that seeing the Dragonborn will remind me how much I personally feel betrayed by the devs decisions on this, so by avoiding them in groups I will be able to better enjoy my play time.
    Ah, I see.
    I don't know how feasible the "avoiding them in groups" will be - it may turn out to be that the attempt to avoid them is more time-consuming and frustrating than just ignoring their race altogether.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Even though no dev has said anything here one of them did post on the reddit thread that is about this topic. He tried his best to calm the firestorm over there but he failed. He had a valid argument and I would accept this argument if they had priced this at 59.99 like the Feywild and Guardian packs I bought, in fact if they had I doubt anyone would have batted an eye, at least not till they found out there was no free version of the race coming later. The fact they priced it so high above that proves that they didn't take too much time to consider the player. The items in this pack are no where near as good as what I got in Feywild yet they are charging $40 more for them, that is why many of us are upset, I don't mind paying for a race, I just think its stupid to have to pay such a ridiculous amount for it.

Sadly I fear their foolish decisions will create quite a rift in the game. Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them. I am sure people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. Sadly It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring a new form of Racism to the game.

There was a video out on youtube made by 2 Guys that consulate with gaming companies on how to monetize there games
    and one the rules in that video was you NEVER ever split your player base, that being said I do think you are being overdramatic
    that this will split the community
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Ah, I see.
    I don't know how feasible the "avoiding them in groups" will be - it may turn out to be that the attempt to avoid them is more time-consuming and frustrating than just ignoring their race altogether.

I don't expect it to be that hard, since I don't think they will be as prevalent at that price point, plus I mainly solo only grouping to run occasional dungeons that I form the teams for allowing me to micro manage the composition of the group.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    stomac wrote: »
    There was a video out on youtube made by 2 Guys that consulate with gaming companies on how to monetize there games
    and one the rules in that video was you NEVER ever split your player base, that being said I do think you are being overdramatic
    that this will split the community

I probably am, I doubt the split will be very bad, but there still will be one, that I can almost guarantee.
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    besides the fact that the price is pretty wrong in terms of "extra things I would buy for any game, EVER" what bothers me greatly is that I still cant see the page, I receive an information saying the page doesnt exist or something like that

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/game-pack/detail/495

"Sorry, we cannot find the webpage you have requested.
    Please check the URL again or return to our homepage.
    Go back to arcgames."
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any information on if the skin tones will only be of the chromatics or will there be metallic to chose from as well?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    arliekkos wrote: »
    Any information on if the skin tones will only be of the chromatics or will there be metallic to chose from as well?

Depending on which version they use the answer might not be as straight forward.

From the D&D Wiki:

The scales a dragonborn wears are scarlet, gold, rust, ocher, bronze, or brown in hue and they in fact bear little correlation to the scale colors of true dragons.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Anychance we can get the DB on preview?!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »

It's unlikely, given that, AFAIK, the Moon Elves were not testable on preview.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Look stop blaming cryptic any company who made COH is ok in my books the real culprits are PWE

Champions Online was lots of fun too, until Cryptic got bought out by PWE and forced to the Dark Side.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well. $75 for what we've seen, up to $100 if you don't buy early enough.
    Most of the stuff in the pack is limited to one character and/or is rubbish.

This has really hammered home how cheap by comparison the competition is.
    Congratulations, PWE, you convinced me to re-sub to DDO.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    and one the rules in that video was you NEVER ever split your player base, that being said I do think you are being overdramatic that this will split the community

here is the Link to that Video if anyone wants to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »

Just announced in the live stream: Dragonborn will be on preview before M4 is released but they are not currently ready for testing.
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    here is the Link to that Video if anyone wants to watch it.

Extra Credits should be mandatory viewing for ANYONE working in the gaming industry
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    nylatlthesecondnylatlthesecond Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you know what I just noticed.

The Dragonborn pack costs about 100 euros, 71ish on sale. Now, that is /not/ equal to 75 euros. In fact, the 71 euros is 95 dollars, which is almost full price. Nice ripping us off in europe here cryptic, thanks, appreciate it :)
  • Options
    shipoffoolsshipoffools Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    I'm confused by that last statement, as 4e doesn't state otherwise. The lack is one of the first things stated in the description "Dragonborn resemble humanoid dragons. They're covered in scaly hide, but they don't have tails."

I'm guessing they couldn't figure out how to arrange it on the interface as adding it would probably involve having to fill in an existing power slot, or require a specialized addition to the UI just for them. So they instead made it an artifact included in the pack, though really this is still replacing an existing slot. Maybe if it had been a reusable item for the potion slot (I always seem to have one slot just used to hold extra healing stacks)?

In the pen&paper game, the racial ability was simply a bonus encounter power. Hardly a difficult thing to add in would be racial powers for those races that could use them. Heck, I'd even be ok with "All Dragonborn get a fire breathweapon" to make it easier, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Extra Credits should be mandatory viewing for ANYONE working in the gaming industry

That was a truly interesting, revealing and eye-opening video. PWE should make all their staff from the top CEOs to the lowliest managers watch it several times at least once a month and answer questions afterwards.

"Never sell Power".

Hmm... like Coalescent Wards?

~
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you know what I just noticed.

The Dragonborn pack costs about 100 euros, 71ish on sale. Now, that is /not/ equal to 75 euros. In fact, the 71 euros is 95 dollars, which is almost full price. Nice ripping us off in europe here cryptic, thanks, appreciate it :)

That's been mentioned several times already - the €uro price has to include local VAT/Sales Taxes, which in the UK is 20%.

The numbers do not match precisely, but explains why there is such a difference between U$D and €uro prices.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?714881-Announcing-the-Dragonborn-Race&p=8500541&viewfull=1#post8500541

Try converting the € price to your local currency and see what you end up with.

~
This discussion has been closed.