test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If the marketing people had half a brain they would create another pack that was just the Race unlock and a race change token and sell it for $20, people would buy the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of it.

Then noone would buy this pack.

Heck, for even $60 id prob just all over it.... I mean thats 75/60 = 25% decrease. YOu only need a small bump in sales for $60...
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Not blessed - sure. But Not Full-Blooded ? They are full-blooded dragons, but not TRUE dragons, you would say. Or, you would, if WotC didn't contradict themselves in their own explanation.
    In other words, the bas e tard children / unblessed of dragons are called Dragonborn.
    WotC, at least in 4e, was almost always fairly non-committed about the origin: It is all legend and theory and can differ from setting to setting. If I recall the first place the whole "unblessed egg" thing was proposed was a survey regarding 5e background that idea got the least possible votes of any other concept. Among other things it doesn't make *any* sense unless dragons have been secretly hiding aggressive theological leanings since the game started, adventurers who stole dragon eggs always coincidentally did it after said blessing, and the two draconic entities (and there veneration by dragons) was near universal in all settings. Other (more reasonable) legendary backgrounds for them from various books include them being other races suffering a magical curse/blessing, some spilled drops of Io's blood that mixed with dirt, something entirely new Io created purposely one day when bored, dragon eggs corrupted by a ritual, the next step in kobold evolution, cross-breeds created my ancient mages with to much time on their hands, and the results of a humans mating with dragons that had employed the natural polymorph ability some types have.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That's a good question! When they say +2 to any two stats, does this mean you can put +4 of the dragonborn race points into ONE SINGLE STAT?

It would be good to have clarification on this, so people can make more informed decisions on whether or not to buy this pack or not.

Amenar already clarified with the Dev post earlier in this thread - "Dragonborn get +2 to any 2 stats, you get to pick which 2 during character creation. You cannot pick the same stat twice"
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Well met all!

We got clarification about the Stat Choices and I'm pretty stoked about it! In case you missed it:

*the old mage whistles and reads the parchment aloud*
    When selecting the dragonborn, you can choose two of the following +2 stats:
    +2 Strength
    +2 Constitution
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 intelligence
    +2 Wisdom
    +2 Charisma

Looks like people are asking about the stats and racial powers - Dragonborn get +2 to any 2 stats, you get to pick which 2 during character creation. You cannot pick the same stat twice. The racial powers as currently planned for launch (note we're still on preview, and while we don't have any changes planned for these right now, it's possible something could change) are:

Draconic Heritage
    You receive 5% more healing from all sources.

Draconic Fury
    You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.
    Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The drow was labeled as Renegade Drow. These are just labeled as Dragonborn. What are the free ones going to be called? Other Dragonborn? If it was the same as the drow, these exclusive ones would be called "Dragonborn nobles" or something.
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    Best cleric race probably.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Well met all!

We got clarification about the Stat Choices and I'm pretty stoked about it! In case you missed it:

*the old mage whistles and reads the parchment aloud*
    When selecting the dragonborn, you can choose two of the following +2 stats:
    +2 Strength
    +2 Constitution
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 intelligence
    +2 Wisdom
    +2 Charisma

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator

Id REALLY like to know, how the "increase crit by 3%" if thats a flat 3% increased crit chance, or a 3% OF your crit...
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the info zeb :)
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the Dragonborn Package page is down for Further clarification? Or because we complain too much?

Probably because people are buying madly and the server can't cope. Just kidding.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the Dragonborn Package page is down for Further clarification? Or because we complain too much?

I hope it's the latter and they are sprucing up the package. Because it's pretty lackluster as it is. I can't see myself buying this at this time as the value (to me, obviously) just isn't there.
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is it just me or does the dragonborn face look like a guinea pig?
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could we get some better screenshots of the race, maybe even a video? I sincerely hope that there aren't any females in the example shown, I'd hope they'd be a little more feminine. Do they have tails? I can't really tell. And will they come with their own little race quests, like the others have as you level up?
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    The drow was labeled as Renegade Drow. These are just labeled as Dragonborn. What are the free ones going to be called? Other Dragonborn? If it was the same as the drow, these exclusive ones would be called "Dragonborn nobles" or something.

They could easily name them "Lesser Dragonborn", or something to that extent. You know that they'll remove the complete stats choice in favor of a main +2 Cha and secondary of either +2 Str or +2 Con, if they ever release a free version.
  • strykor1977strykor1977 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone actually made a toon with these guys? All I get on character creation is is the race name halfway off the left side of the screen, and no image of them.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone actually made a toon with these guys? All I get on character creation is is the race name halfway off the left side of the screen, and no image of them.

They aren't available until the 14th of next month.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Dragonborn look more like Budgies. More like Kenkuborn...
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014

If it was before, it seems to be back up.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Note - dragons are not born. They are hatched. Same goes for SOME half dragons.

I'm already a half dragon! : flaps silvery wings under a cloak:

That cloak needs to be a fashion item for sale. : chuffs: Hopefully all the fashions go on sale after awhile - even all the items EVEN IF it's Zen Market.

I just don't have spare $$$ for this. Not even for my birthday.

Also, the "dragonborn" seem to all be chromatics? : squints and returns to her lovely house near a cold cave:
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2014
    I got so excited when I saw the new race announcement.. So much that I skip reading the other pack content and straight away look for the purchase link. But once I saw the price, I was surprised! took a look at the pack content properly.. No mount? no companion? a time-based enchantment that poofs once used long enough? Seriously. no.. I live in a country that our currency is 1/3rd USD worth.. USD75 dollars means ~$250 out of my paycheck.. I'll just stick to my feywild pack I guess..
    edited July 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    but an truly beautiful dragonborn with 20+ charisma?
    Charisma is not attractiveness, though in some editions of D&D attractiveness is considered to a small component of it (at least for first impressions). From the NW tooltip for Charisma it "measures force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership" which have nothing to do with appearance. So you can be an grotesque lizard thing and still have a maxed out charisma.
    That cloak needs to be a fashion item for sale.
    I want some actual proper leathery wings as a neck or fashion torso slot item, not just a cloak that is sort of wing shaped. It is bizarre that we can have fake pixie wings but not fake bat ones. :)
    Also, the "dragonborn" seem to all be chromatics?
    Dragonborn do not come in chromatic / metallic varieties (Dragonlance draconians do, matching the corrupted metallic dragon egg used to birth them). From the compendium "scales can be scarlet, gold, rust, ocher, bronze, or brown. Rarely do an individual's scales match the hue of a chromatic or metallic dragon, and scale color gives no indication of the type of breath weapon a dragonborn uses." They also have a fairly uniform appearance that doesn't specifically match the looks of any actual dragons (where each color has a very distinctive head structure).

I know a lot of home campaigns and illustrations ignore this and have dragonborn with color / breath / head tied to a tradional dragon (a lot of players seem to insist on this if possible), but that is not the default book norm.
  • huggormmasterhuggormmaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xenotorch wrote: »
    Quick word on the pricing of this if you're a European customer:

US Full Price = $99.99, US Sale Price = $74.99
    Euro Full Price = €94.99, Euro Sale Price = €71.24

BUT, but what exchange rates are PWE/Cryptic using???

Based on the US full/sale prices it should be €74.25 and €55.69.

Basing the dollar price on the PWE/Cryptic Euro prices would make it $127.89 and $95.92.

An explanation for why virtual content should be so far out of whack would be nice. Maybe there is a sensible explanation but this just makes an overpriced and value-free (my opinion) pack (no pet/mount?!) even harder to bear. Seriously guys, fair much?

Epic fail other games use this exchange too but when customers ask why there are so huge difference they adjust it.
    I don't think they will change this. You can contact your consumer agency to check if it's right to do this...
    edited July 2014
    It looks like the pack breakdown page is back up. I'm not seeing any changes to content or price, no clarification on if the Bahamut Regalia is per character or single claim, and not even a fix to the odd wording about the +2 bonus...
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The price is just insane because the items are terrible. Even if the pack was about £10 I wouldn't get it, the one thing in it that seems decent is the race but they aren't really anything special so I don't care.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    You aren't paying for the race, per se, inasmuch as you're paying for the entirety of the pack.

The race and the pack are the only items of significant value to the general gaming population. That is why the reaction in this forum is so overwhelmingly negative.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    echokazul wrote: »
    Could we get some better screenshots of the race, maybe even a video? I sincerely hope that there aren't any females in the example shown, I'd hope they'd be a little more feminine. Do they have tails? I can't really tell. And will they come with their own little race quests, like the others have as you level up?

None of the ones in the screenshots are females (I believe). Oddly, female Dragonborns do have bewbies (since they nurse their hatchlings). And no, they dont have tails. I know, its more strange than having <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, in this case, but hey each one with their own fantasies. :rolleyes:
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well Gary Gygax might wait to roll over in his grave and flip a coin for a few months until they decide whether it will be free to play later.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    masizin777 wrote: »
    Well Gary Gygax might wait to roll over in his grave and flip a coin for a few months until they decide whether it will be free to play later.

Here is the problem with that statement, if they did decide to make the race F2P at some point the people who DID buy this pack will be out for blood! In the case of the Drow they let people know up front it would be F2P but people buying the pack got a slightly different version a lot earlier, those people made an educated choice. To say this is the "Exclusive (IE:Only)" and have a bunch of people put out money and then change it later could get them sued.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would love to roll a dragonborn, but I am sure as heck not willing to fork out 100 bucks for it. I don't need all the extra items, release just the race as a standalone purchase for say, $20 and I'd buy it today. I can't justify 100 bucks for a race even though I could change my main into one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My random thoughts:

1) No pictures of females? At all? And they're due out in 2 weeks?
    2) No pictures of a Dragonborn with a tail? Are these seriously tailless creatures (despite 4th Edition saying otherwise)?
    3) No way to buy just the race itself? What a ripoff with all the random pieces of junk thrown in 'for free'.
    4) Seriously, seriously just sell a race pack by itself (along with buying the race change token by itself). You'd sell more for sure.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They should have their Dragon Breath. And Eladrin need their Fey Step. How could you ignore their distinctive trademark abilities completely?
This discussion has been closed.