test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Beta details and Founder's Pack announcement!

Comments

• sirtexassirsirtexassir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well it's morning and still no post on these packs?
  • sarrivinsarrivin Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well it's morning and still no post on these packs?

I bet there's some "sorting out" ;). We all learn whole lives, hehe.
    Creator of rising, Polish Neverwinter Portal: www.neverwinter.com.pl
    My Polish D&D Online Portal: www.ddopl.com Style: Roleplayer, Explorer, Monster Killer.
    Young Musician, Admin, RPG/MMO fan and story writer, Freelancer.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Well gonna avoid the price tag aspect, but there is one big beef I do have with the Hero of the North pack.... and that is I loathe, hate, despise, castrate tendencies towards the Drizzit and drow fanboy clud. All the items are drow themed which I have zero desire for. The Hero of the North pack should have a variety of packages like a Tiefling themed one with demonic mounts like a Nightmare and more fiendish looking Tiefling race options.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can't we get any love for lawful good people? No not emo kids like drizzt (a kid cause these elven abominations live too long).

What about Helm, Tyr, Torm, Illmater?

What about Selune, Mystra?

What about Oghma - restoring whose library in destroyed Neverwinter can help restore the old name of Neverwinter in regards to precision of water clocks?

But yeah, there should be more market for emo drow fans than the real serious issues which Neverwinter faces ...
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well gonna avoid the price tag aspect, but there is one big beef I do have with the Hero of the North pack.... and that is I loathe, hate, despise, castrate tendencies towards the Drizzit and drow fanboy clud. All the items are drow themed which I have zero desire for. The Hero of the North pack should have a variety of packages like a Tiefling themed one with demonic mounts like a Nightmare and more fiendish looking Tiefling race options.

Agreed! Definitely NOT part of the Drizzle fanboi club, but I do try to support stuff I'm interested in. And Tiefling FTW! Prolly have to settle for the $60 option then. I just wish someone would say whether or the higher two tiers include the perks from the lower tier(s). I've seen this asked repeatedly across threads but not seen anyone answer that.
  • neutralevilneutralevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 69
    edited January 2013
    bardbarian wrote: »
    Agreed! Definitely NOT part of the Drizzle fanboi club, but I do try to support stuff I'm interested in. And Tiefling FTW! Prolly have to settle for the $60 option then. I just wish someone would say whether or the higher two tiers include the perks from the lower tier(s). I've seen this asked repeatedly across threads but not seen anyone answer that.

i am pretty sure they have made it clear that the higher tiers do NOT include the other pack's contents- unless it has been changed
    [SIGPIC] KREETURE [/SIGPIC]
  • shiarieshiarie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hmm...going against the lore with the "Drizzt themed" pack...wrong mount for it. Drizzt's mount is a unicorn, I believe it's name is Andovar. Although honestly I like the spider mount better, that will work better for my evil drow. After all, who really wants to be good?
  • vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Depends I'm good on even days and evil on odd.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Can't we get any love for lawful good people? No not emo kids like drizzt (a kid cause these elven abominations live too long).

What about Helm, Tyr, Torm, Illmater?

What about Selune, Mystra?

What about Oghma - restoring whose library in destroyed Neverwinter can help restore the old name of Neverwinter in regards to precision of water clocks?

But yeah, there should be more market for emo drow fans than the real serious issues which Neverwinter faces ...

Cool ye tongue ye whip les I cut it out of you skull. (Rp so you know)

I am a huge, like super huge mega fan of R.A. Salvatore and Drizzt. When I first read the Crystal Shard in the deserts of Saudi Arabia in 1990 through one setting (Guarding the 101st AB Generals T.O.C.) during a 12 hour shift I knew I was hooked. Every since I have read ever book and even managed to get a limited collectors edition "Icewind Dale Trilogy Paperback" signed by R.A. himself, at Origins a few years back.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Elminster Founders pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can anyone answer the question:
    Are the mount, mask and wolf for every character or one per account?
    I tend to create/delete characters quiet quickly in the beginning until I like them :)
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Cool ye tongue ye whip les I cut it out of you skull. (Rp so you know)

I am a huge, like super huge mega fan of R.A. Salvatore and Drizzt. When I first read the Crystal Shard in the deserts of Saudi Arabia in 1990 through one setting (Guarding the 101st AB Generals T.O.C.) during a 12 hour shift I knew I was hooked. Every since I have read ever book and even managed to get a limited collectors edition "Icewind Dale Trilogy Paperback" signed by R.A. himself, at Origins a few years back.

I wouldnt mind this at all. I mean not that I want to look at him, but I am going to be playing a caster type and looking like drizzt just is not going to work for me. :D
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • utahsaintutahsaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »

Elminster you say, This might not be a bad option while you wait between betas The big issue here is, to get to the "Forgotten Realms" and get a visit from Elminster himself you have to run a series(3) quest to transition you from Ebberron to the Forgotten Realms" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEyx09j7Idg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U29lmg3NCQ that being said I will continue to support every project R.A. Salvatore and DnD do together.

I am waiting to buy the $200 pack until the following questions have been answered: Does the $200 include all lower pack perks? Will there be a boxed collectors edition at a later date? Other then that, I can not wait so show support for this game, in the mean time, back to fighting Drow that seem to want to come to the surface in Eveningstar as well.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with this entirely. Unfortunately the entire MMO industry has been lopsided in recent years by people being willing to spend this amount of money for a couple of fluff features. It used to be that we'd pay $60 for an ENTIRE game, plus maybe $15/mo for access if an MMO. Now we're expected to pay $200 for "optional" purchases valued at $549? Rrrrriiight!

Great deal, huh? Except for the part where these items can only be "worth" $549 in a universe where the company has come out of touch with reality due to massive profits gained from gambling potentially hundreds of dollars for the chance to maybe get access to fluff items in their other games (CO and STO) which is how they currently thrive.

After seeing that article posted in another site I frequent I'm seriously considering giving up on MMOs entirely and definitely will give up on Cryptic MMOs. Ive been considering this for a while due to RL needs, but also because since the F2P craze (which I originally had NO issue with and actually favored) it seems like companies (especially Cryptic) are diverting all their money making efforts towards making dozens of times over what they used to make on sub prices selling comparatively cheap to make fluff features, sometimes for more than it used to cost to get an entire game.

That article was the last straw for me. A few (only 3--4 if we count the title) features for a type of game that used to cost around $60 for the ENTIRE game, plus early access to it are simply not "worth" $549 on any universe grounded on reality unless we're fast forwarding hundreds of years into the future into a time where five hundred dollars are roughly the equivalent of $60 now (maybe less than $60 since we're talking about a few select features and nothing even approaching an ENTIRE game).

Less than $200, and my main is supposed to be a (non-Drizzt clone) dark elf. But it doesn't matter because I'm out!

I really don't understand what your saying? The game is FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND FREE TO PLAY on release. That is a hell of alot cheeper then any mmo out there. You can play ANY RACE including Dark Elf. So a game that offers every race, ever class at launch for free.. Oh yeah did I mention this game is TOTAL FREE. Check out EQ2 free to play. You can't be every race, or ever class.
  • painy13painy13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    when we can buy founder packs?
  • sirtexassirsirtexassir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Today some time, even though it's 1pm for me, so maybe they meant today in some other country.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Today some time, even though it's 1pm for me, so maybe they meant today in some other country.
    yah just hit 1PM CST but they are in Pacific time if Im not misunderstanding things, and that would still be another hour before it reaches 12PM Pacific
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Just got clarification from Pin about the Menzoberranzan Renegade.

The Menzoberranzan Renegade is NOT a race. It is a unique Background Selection for your Drow race characters, which when chosen will grant unique traits to your Drow character(s).

IMO all exclusive content should be cosmetic only.

If any of these unique traits affect combat in any way, I am not cool with it.

If they are going to sell races in the cash shop, that is okay, as long as they are full races instead of milky upgrades to races.
  • kingaultkingault Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actulally when this game was to release much much earlier, that was Turbine's response to keep players. Unfortunately, they slow and buggy response as mentioned from many plays shows what happens when you rush job for competition. SO while this game was delayed, that expansion got a lot of people panning it from the reaction. Their overall freemium lockout caused me to leave and not come back a long time before that.

Don't make me laugh. I preordered RotU for DDO and it was worth every penny. The bundles weren't ridiculously priced, and that was for the expansion itself, not Beta access. Riders of Rohan for LOTRO... Launching without instances wasn't the best thing for the players but I viewed it was a good choice, in a way...
    Either way, the bundles for those two things were actually worth it, unlike here.
    edited January 2013
    pregnable wrote: »
    IMO all exclusive content should be cosmetic only.

If any of these unique traits affect combat in any way, I am not cool with it.

If they are going to sell races in the cash shop, that is okay, as long as they are full races instead of milky upgrades to races.

I would say if they sell races it should be races like the "monster races" and not the ones that are in 4.0 PH1(ex. Dragonborn and Eladrin) (and a couple out of PH2 that had been in moste PH 1s for the last few editions gnome and half-orc for example are in 4.0 PH2 but I think they should be free)

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I would say if they sell races it should be races like the "monster races" and not the ones that are in 4.0 PH1(ex. Dragonborn and Eladrin) (and a couple out of PH2 that had been in moste PH 1s for the last few editions gnome and half-orc for example are in 4.0 PH2 but I think they should be free)
    Also I think every PH1 class should be free, and the Barbarian, Druid, and Sorcerer should be free(I wonder how the spell plague effected Sorcerers magic since it was a little chaotic to start with. I know it messed with all magic but I am wondering how specifically it effected them.(I wonder if and how it effected druids also))

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    From what we have seen from the trailers so far, the game looks really good.

I do not want to see the game screwed up with exclusive content with bonus pay to win stats. There is no way it could make them more money than it would lose them in players.

After seeing how people play in DDO, they would probably make a fortune just selling non-combat consumables in the item shop... LOL!

The important thing is to keep enough players in the game to give the baddies a reason to keep playing and buying those consumables lol.
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    pregnable wrote: »
    From what we have seen from the trailers so far, the game looks really good.

I do not to see the game screwed up with exclusive content with bonus pay to win stats. There is no way it could make them more money than it would lose them in players.

After seeing how people play in DDO, they would probably make a fortune just selling non-combat consumables in the item shop... LOL!

The important thing is to keep enough players in the game to give the baddies a reason to keep playing and buying those consumables lol.

I have to agree to some extent with the whole pay to win aspect of the game, which is why I have never played a f2p MMO. Cosmetic items, and minor boosts to xp, gold drop, etc will be enough of a money maker. Just because someone buys items to gain power doesn't make them a baddie. I can just afford to buy what I want and when I want, not that I do, but might as well if it within the rules of the game. I considor people who spend more than 1/3 of their day on a video game to be more pathetic than the people who buy stuff. ???
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    I really don't understand what your saying? The game is FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND FREE TO PLAY on release.

I wasn't commenting on the price of the game, I know its F2P--I've played F2P games before, including other Cryptic games (CO was my main game until recently). I was commenting on the ridiculousness of trying to sell access a single race, mount and companion--which are mere features of a game (not even an entire game, just additional components we may get access to)--for $200 and calling it a $549 value, when the typical box price of an entire game (not just 3 features/options, but the entire thing) is around $60.

I know that additional features or digital items are the way that F2P games make their money. But when each of those individual features/options start to cost more--and by an EXTREMELY wide margin--than simply buying a whole game, I have to wonder what's the point of even trying a "free" game. I don't mind having to buy "premium" races or classes for a reasonable price, but when they tell me a single race, mount and companion are valued at $549 I have to wonder how much they're going to charge me for them individually when they do start finding their way to the cash shop ($183 each?).

Though, coming from other Cryptic games and seeing how they've started to monetize things there I sort of already know the answer to that--I'm probably going to be expected to gamble away for the chance to maybe get access to them by buying gambling items (probably treasure chest keys) with extremely low drop rates, which is probably how they arrived at that ridiculous $549 figure as an estimated value.
    That is a hell of alot cheeper then any mmo out there.

It isn't. There are more F2P MMOs out there, including at least two currently still online from the same company that's making this one. And I have "0" issue with being sold new additions to a F2P game. What I have an issue with is with being expected to pay $200 (or potentially $549, if we're to take their claim that this things are "worth" $549) to get access to a single race, mount and companion, when access to an entire game used to cost $60 box price before they started going F2P.
    I have to agree to some extent with the whole pay to win aspect of the game, which is why I have never played a f2p MMO. Cosmetic items, and minor boosts to xp, gold drop, etc will be enough of a money maker. Just because someone buys items to gain power doesn't make them a baddie. I can just afford to buy what I want and when I want, not that I do, but might as well if it within the rules of the game. I considor people who spend more than 1/3 of their day on a video game to be more pathetic than the people who buy stuff. ???

Yeah lol.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with people who buy stuff and use it, heh.

They are helping the game make money, and that is good. Although, I will probably spend most of mine on character slots... lol.

I was mostly joking about the people in DDO who were really bad and would blow lots and lots of money on consumables in every quest lol.

They were totally baddies, but that does not mean I did not like them. I had some great laughs with guys like that in voice chat failing quests. hahaha.
  • kesrikesri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It isn't. There are more F2P MMOs out there, including at least two currently still online from the same company that's making this one. And I have "0" issue with being sold new additions to a F2P game. What I have an issue with is with being expected to pay $200 (or potentially $549, if we're to take their claim that this things are "worth" $549) to get access to a single race, mount and companion, when access to an entire game used to cost $60 box price before they started going F2P.

It's simple economics, these things are worth what people are willing to pay. Cryptic obviously thinks they'll get enough takers at $199.00. You probably aren't one of them since you don't believe their product is worth their price. But if enough people are willing to pay it, what you think doesn't really matter to them.

I used to be able to get a ticket to see George Strait or Reba McIntyre for $10. I can't do that anymore and, for me, the "live" experience isn't worth $100+. I don't think they've noticed I don't go to their concerts anymore because the concerts are always sold out at what I believe to be outrageous prices. ;)
    edited January 2013
    • .... I was commenting on the ridiculousness of trying to sell access a single race...

• for $200 and calling it a $549 value, ...

• ...than simply buying a whole game, I have to wonder what's the point of even trying a "free" game. I don't mind having to buy "premium" races or classes for a reasonable price, but when they tell me a single race...

• .... ridiculous ...
    • to get access to a single race....

- It is sooo NOT a race! It is background!

- It means that if you were to buy all those things from the store, except freebies like beta access which come for free with the pack, you will need that much money. Ofcourse, you may never need them, so its your choice to buy thm or not, but it just tells you how much those things actually cost (except for exclusives which they won't sell). So actual worth may well be over $549, but it is at least that much if you buy those things indiviually.

- They don't sell you the whole game. You can't buy the game (unless you mean buying the company)

• sevargathsevargath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fortunately you DON'T pay for races. The Drow race is still free. Just the SPECIALLY MODIFIED DROW RENEGADE with the SPIDER and PANTHER mount along with the other bonuses are charged for.

Actulally when this game was to release much much earlier, that was Turbine's response to keep players. Unfortunately, they slow and buggy response as mentioned from many plays shows what happens when you rush job for competition. SO while this game was delayed, that expansion got a lot of people panning it from the reaction. Their overall freemium lockout caused me to leave and not come back a long time before that.

I was hoping "true fans" would know the company's naming policy for the last +4 years now of the D&D game .

amosov and slambit are right, and you may want to check up on Cryptic a bit more before making more genralizations. To me, uninformed opinions are the truly dangerous things. But I won't go as far to call you "disgusting," just room for growth.

People who buy the packs have a higher to GUARANTEED rate of access. However, others who have closed beta keys entered or may win beta keys through the upcoming contests here and other other sites and our social media site MAY get access to the weekends. However phased access is just that and we can't say unless a promotion makes guarantees WHEN the access is. Others will actually have to wait until the full closed beta begins and be phased in then. Considering this is a free game and you don't have to pay, this is an option you can choose to pay to get in earlier or with bonus stuff or not. It reflects EVERY CB pack I have seen, some up to $1000 USD.
    in the future you can buy with astral diamonds individually the giant spider or the change to the drow?
    6iscnm.jpg
    edited January 2013
    sevargath wrote: »
    in the future you can buy with astral diamonds individually the giant spider or the change to the drow?

"Maybe" the drow is free to play.

"Maybe" the Menzobarren is a background and perhaps gives you a few extra quests specific to that background. Just that you a a drow coming from somewhere else than general free drow are coming from.

"Maybe" most races we so far know of are free.

"Maybe" the game will be awesome.

"Maybe" nobody - even devs do not know if you can buy the background.

"Maybe" this game is based on Neverwinter city in Forgotten Realms.

"Maybe" the name of this game is Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    So does that mean we'll find out in May? :-D
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    kingault wrote: »
    Don't make me laugh. I preordered RotU for DDO and it was worth every penny. The bundles weren't ridiculously priced, and that was for the expansion itself, not Beta access. Riders of Rohan for LOTRO... Launching without instances wasn't the best thing for the players but I viewed it was a good choice, in a way...
    Either way, the bundles for those two things were actually worth it, unlike here.

Couldn't agree more. Eveyone knows I'm a DDO hater but I did buy MotU (not RotU), the collectors edition in fact, and it WAS indeed worth every penny. People knew upfront what they were getting and the value, here we are left in the dark as usual and are asked to give money on blind faith. Cryptic needs to provide details... a lot of details especially with their cash shop before they put these founder packs up.

And Truth... since when has Turbine EVER produced a non exploitable bug free content update? Their competence when it comes to their product is not the most stellar of quality. People always dread when Turbine goes in and fixes something as they always break more stuff than they fix.