test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Beta details and Founder's Pack announcement!

Comments

• Options
    ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I'm trying to remember how much I paid for the WoW Collector's edition (still listen to the music :-D). It wasn't $200, I can tell you that much. And that's basically what this is, just fluff. Unless they are previewing how much Zen it will cost for things in Neverwinter.

The Mists of Pandaria was 79 dollars!!! I bought every edition and felt very satisfied. Received a special quality box, DVDs, maps, mouse pads, books AND in game mounts/pets. Real value for half the cost.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Just got clarification from Pin about the Menzoberranzan Renegade.

The Menzoberranzan Renegade is NOT a race. It is a unique Background Selection for your Drow race characters, which when chosen will grant unique traits to your Drow character(s).

it's a unique racial background with unique ability and costume and tattoos
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    ssantiagox wrote: »
    PWE has just made it so that the things we've all come to expect from "early access" (like the ability to reserve your name of choice which is VERY important to many players) is now a 200 hundred dollar perk. 200 dollars. Think about that. Seriously.

In the past a simple PRE-ORDER, or collectors edition, or other "sane" purchase where there was some real value got you those. But this? This is the worst kind of money grab. Only those with big pocket books get these perks now. True FANS of the game/lore/story who can't afford it can just stuff it.

It's disgusting.

Oh please, so if you have the income to buy the 200 dollar deal, you are not and have never been a fan?
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hear ya brother. 200 bucks is ridiculous. Completely. If this bundle gave you some "premium" level (such as a normal subscription level" does where you have full access to all game available content, other than fluff items in the store, then I'd consider it. But 200 dollars for a few purely digital goods, 5 days of beta (which is really meaningless considering it's f2p) and the other items.

It's robbery. Unfortunately some people will pay it.

I haven't read further since the post I'm replying to but I'd sure hope this would include the full version of the game as well + whatever might be a "digital collectors" edition if that is coming. And free monthly zen for life.

Ok, how many times does it have to be said, that the game, and full access to all of it is free, free to DL and free to play any and all content of it.
    Is what they are offering just "fluff", YES IT IS. There I shouted it, wonder how many actualy comprehened it though. Again, it has been stated, that anything you will spend actual real life money on will be cosmetic and fluff stuf as well as a few other non essential items.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I can safely say, that if I was still working at my last job that payed "GRRRREAT!" (Pretend seeing an image of Tony the Tiger here), I would buy two of these for both of my accounts. Heck, I used to pay EA/Origin almost $200 a month for my many, many many UO accounts back then... oh money, how I miss thee...

Call me crazy or insane or just foolish, but I was having fun and had the money to burn so why not?

Never-the-less, the game and my enjoyment of it is Free to Play. All I see are added bonuses and perks that will help to keep income flowing in and paying the way for future gaming additions. I do not see anything that is going to make me be unable to play and enjoy the game if I choose not to buy it.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    The Mists of Pandaria was 79 dollars!!! I bought every edition and felt very satisfied. Received a special quality box, DVDs, maps, mouse pads, books AND in game mounts/pets. Real value for half the cost.

What? No music CD? What a rip! ;-) I do enjoy he books and the DVD's, but I play th CD's to death :-D
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    Oh please, so if you have the income to buy the 200 dollar deal, you are not and have never been a fan?

On artist, yes. Of art, yes. As I've said about WoW collections, I mainly bought them for soundtrack and art, not for in game content, and none of them were over $100 let alone $200. Huge difference.
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    On artist, yes. Of art, yes. As I've said about WoW collections, I mainly bought them for soundtrack and art, not for in game content, and none of them were over $100 let alone $200. Huge difference.

Bull, me buying or not buying anything for 200 dollars, has 0 effect what so freaking ever on me being a fan of d&d or not,
    only that at that moment in time I had the money to spare.

People are in their full right to think this is a bad deal, but you have no right nor reason to proclaim anyone in favor of said deal, to be anything, but of a different opinion than you.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bull, me buying or not buying anything for 200 dollars, has 0 effect what so freaking ever on me being a fan of d&d or not,

People are in their full right to think this is a bad deal, but you have no right nor reason to proclaim anyone in favor of said deal, to be anything, but of a different opinion than you.

And yet all I'm stating are opinions marked with facts, not pointing fingers. I'm leaving that to you. Enjoy your pointing.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    PWE has just made it so that the things we've all come to expect from "early access" (like the ability to reserve your name of choice which is VERY important to many players) is now a 200 hundred dollar perk. 200 dollars. Think about that. Seriously.

Well, at least you won't have to worry about name reservations this time, since Neverwinter uses the same @Handle naming convention seen in STO and CO.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps read the post again i quoted first, which you evidently supports.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps read the post again i quoted first, which you evidently supports.

If you're talking about the one you quoted to start this part of the thread, you'll also notice that you were not quoting me. Again, happy pointing.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Let's calm down a bit, no need to argue over the opinions of others and how they choose to spend their money.
  • Options
    vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What's a rip off for some might be just fine for others. Kinda how that works. Capitalism, strange beast you are.

Personally, it annoys me to see people assuming what money is worth to others. Makes them seem small-minded and petulant.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    nicklas95 wrote: »
    I have one single thing to say... WTH!

What is wrong with you pwe? I mean really? 200 freaking USD for so little? How the hell can you put such a high price on that? I hope this is badly wrong cause that aint worth more than 40 USD. When I bought the raiderz founders pack I was considering if it really was worth it and that was only 30 USD. Do you really think that anyone will buy this? I mean that is a hell of alot money for a game many haven't even played yet. Only a rich kid would buy this stuff

I agree with this entirely. Unfortunately the entire MMO industry has been lopsided in recent years by people being willing to spend this amount of money for a couple of fluff features. It used to be that we'd pay $60 for an ENTIRE game, plus maybe $15/mo for access if an MMO. Now we're expected to pay $200 for "optional" purchases valued at $549? Rrrrriiight!

Great deal, huh? Except for the part where these items can only be "worth" $549 in a universe where the company has come out of touch with reality due to massive profits gained from gambling potentially hundreds of dollars for the chance to maybe get access to fluff items in their other games (CO and STO) which is how they currently thrive.

After seeing that article posted in another site I frequent I'm seriously considering giving up on MMOs entirely and definitely will give up on Cryptic MMOs. Ive been considering this for a while due to RL needs, but also because since the F2P craze (which I originally had NO issue with and actually favored) it seems like companies (especially Cryptic) are diverting all their money making efforts towards making dozens of times over what they used to make on sub prices selling comparatively cheap to make fluff features, sometimes for more than it used to cost to get an entire game.

That article was the last straw for me. A few (only 3--4 if we count the title) features for a type of game that used to cost around $60 for the ENTIRE game, plus early access to it are simply not "worth" $549 on any universe grounded on reality unless we're fast forwarding hundreds of years into the future into a time where five hundred dollars are roughly the equivalent of $60 now (maybe less than $60 since we're talking about a few select features and nothing even approaching an ENTIRE game).
    How much is playing a Dark Elf worth to you?

Less than $200, and my main is supposed to be a (non-Drizzt clone) dark elf. But it doesn't matter because I'm out!
    Founders pack clarifiacation please:

1. Will the higher level packs have all the contents/unlocks of the lower level ones?

2. No subscription/membership, so no monthy stipend?
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    So only the purchasers are participants on the first three Beta Weekends not mentioned the other Beta gamers who eagerly await to join on one of the Beta Weekends? Will have been there more Giveaways before this issue (Beta Weekends), because I very honestly wanna partake one CBT Key submitted myself to Closed Beta either of Beta Weekends? :p
  • Options
    myschaellamyschaella Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I cant wait for Beta. All I want to know is when can we buy the packs and how big is the download????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The promotion goes live and will be purchasable sometime tomorrow (today for me), the 29th of January.

Players will be able to purchase Founder's Packs on the official Neverwinter web page starting tomorrow. You don't have to buy one to get into the beta weekend, but it helps.

• Options
    xxarginxxargin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    here is a question.. where the hell can I see the packs and buy them ?!! I can't find it !
  • Options
    sirus49651sirus49651 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    well you cant see the packs untill tomorrow
  • Options
    rockxoonrockxoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like every other Game it failed to set a good logic in the pricing and cash shop. And like we all know, if they go this way, they will do it in future again, and that’s the real problem.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    syfylis wrote: »
    If people will have to pay for playing some races then it's the biggest fail of this game before it even start.
    Fortunately you DON'T pay for races. The Drow race is still free. Just the SPECIALLY MODIFIED DROW RENEGADE with the SPIDER and PANTHER mount along with the other bonuses are charged for.

Heres whats really going on.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/drow.aspx

Actulally when this game was to release much much earlier, that was Turbine's response to keep players. Unfortunately, they slow and buggy response as mentioned from many plays shows what happens when you rush job for competition. SO while this game was delayed, that expansion got a lot of people panning it from the reaction. Their overall freemium lockout caused me to leave and not come back a long time before that.

In the past a simple PRE-ORDER, or collectors edition, or other "sane" purchase where there was some real value got you those. But this? This is the worst kind of money grab. Only those with big pocket books get these perks now. True FANS of the game/lore/story who can't afford it can just stuff it.

It's disgusting.

amosov78 wrote: »
    Well, at least you won't have to worry about name reservations this time, since Neverwinter uses the same @Handle naming convention seen in STO and CO.

I was hoping "true fans" would know the company's naming policy for the last +4 years now of the D&D game .

amosov and slambit are right, and you may want to check up on Cryptic a bit more before making more genralizations. To me, uninformed opinions are the truly dangerous things. But I won't go as far to call you "disgusting," just room for growth.
    So only the purchasers are participants on the first three Beta Weekends not mentioned the other Beta gamers who eagerly await to join on one of the Beta Weekends? Will have been there more Giveaways before this issue (Beta Weekends), because I very honestly wanna partake one CBT Key submitted myself to Closed Beta either of Beta Weekends? :p

People who buy the packs have a higher to GUARANTEED rate of access. However, others who have closed beta keys entered or may win beta keys through the upcoming contests here and other other sites and our social media site MAY get access to the weekends. However phased access is just that and we can't say unless a promotion makes guarantees WHEN the access is. Others will actually have to wait until the full closed beta begins and be phased in then. Considering this is a free game and you don't have to pay, this is an option you can choose to pay to get in earlier or with bonus stuff or not. It reflects EVERY CB pack I have seen, some up to $1000 USD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If you're talking about the one you quoted to start this part of the thread, you'll also notice that you were not quoting me. Again, happy pointing.

If your limit is 100 dollars np here, again, you chose to quote me on that big difference, if people find the 200 dollars acceptable
    it only makes them of a different opinion.

If you feel hurt by that so called pointing, shrug.
  • Options
    skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    At the end of the day, we're all happy that the Neverwinter betas are FINALLY in motion, yes? Which means we're all that much more closer to its release and that's something we can all look forward to, am I right? :D

None of these items in each Founder's Pack are close to even being "game-breaking" and are just extra goodies and rewards to help fund this amazing game.
    After all, a TON of time and money were spent on simply creating the game for all of us to enjoy.

With that being said, I (and I'm sure the majority of you) can't WAIT for the beta weekends! :D
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    skinneykrn wrote: »
    With that being said, I (and I'm sure the majority of you) can't WAIT for the beta weekends! :D

Oh you are a 100% correct :p
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Rather amazing how many people expect a company to spend years and millions of dollars making a game and not expect to make money somehow. Do people not realize that if you do not think the packs are worth the price- you can still play the game completely free without them? Because by the sheer amount of greatly offended people, it would seem not.

It's simple- if you do not think it is worth the price, do not buy it- but quit with acting like those that do are idiots, or that PWE has betrayed you or is doing something inexcusable.

The sensationalist BS here is mind boggling.

One thing I would like to know though is- how much money is 750k astral diamonds worth?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I'll probably buy a pack just to support the game and I like the looks of the goodies you get. Looking at the posted closed beta weekends I might not be able to play any of them or I may be able to make all three of them. The closed beta is the last item for which I would be buying one of these packs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One thing I would like to know though is- how much money is 750k astral diamonds worth?

Bout tree fiddy :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Lmao nice one
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games