test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, watching a teleplay about moral choices is deeply unfulfilling if I look at the choices made and think that no one in their right mind would accept those as the only options.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Good stuff stopped being made years ago. Even when a show was good exec found a way to scrap. The last 5 years have been bad. Nothing original and poor story telling. Actually I was wrong. There is a very great show at the moment: The Orville. Now that's Star Trek.

Translation: Television made whilst I was in my nostalgic period was good, TV made after this period is somehow worse and not at all me changing.

But yes you are wrong. About Orville anyway, it's not Star Trek. If you look really closely it's not licenced by CBS under the Star Trek brand and is thus not Star Trek.​​

Big deal. Neither are fan films, and some of them are way better than what CBS has done in the past 12 years.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I’ll reserve judgement until after the end credit rolls for the most part.
    However, I have formed two negative opinions thus far.

Firstly, I don’t like the ship (USS Discovery) very much. But that’s just a personal taste thing.

Secondly, the Michael Burnham character. I’m not fond of the whole ‘Lead Character’ thing anyway – it’s not something that Trek has really done before and I don’t think it’s necessary. However, since pretty much EVERY piece of promotional material to date has shoved Sonequa Martin-Green down our throats I am concerned that the show will place too much emphasis on this one character. And honestly, if it does that I suspect I’ll take a fairly quick dislike to it.

To be fair, I can't blame them, the woman is stunning, and has absolutely amazing poise.

TLUFuvr.jpg

That's not enough to make me want to watch the show, but I can understand why they've done what they've done with her in terms of promotional material :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    To be fair, I can't blame them, the woman is stunning, and has absolutely amazing poise.

^ Absolutely! Add to that she's quite a talented actress as well. I've no doubt she has the chops to carry a series. I'm looking forward to seeing the premier this Sunday.
    Have to admit, I never got into the Walking Dead (it gave wifey nightmares) so I can't comment on her acting chops, but I know Class when I see it, and she epitomises it :sunglasses: Hope you'll enjoy the show :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    I’ll reserve judgement until after the end credit rolls for the most part.
    However, I have formed two negative opinions thus far.

Firstly, I don’t like the ship (USS Discovery) very much. But that’s just a personal taste thing.

Secondly, the Michael Burnham character. I’m not fond of the whole ‘Lead Character’ thing anyway – it’s not something that Trek has really done before and I don’t think it’s necessary. However, since pretty much EVERY piece of promotional material to date has shoved Sonequa Martin-Green down our throats I am concerned that the show will place too much emphasis on this one character. And honestly, if it does that I suspect I’ll take a fairly quick dislike to it.

TLUFuvr.jpg

That's not enough to make me want to watch the show, but I can understand why they've done what they've done with her in terms of promotional material :sunglasses:

Again though - each to their own. I, personally, don't find her that attractive. And she could be the most talented, most amazing actress in the world but I, personally, will lose interest if they focus too much on one particular character.

Voyager turned into the 'Seven of Nine and friends' show for a time. I, for one, am hoping that we don't get the same here.
    Totally agree with what you're saying, and especially the boldened part, but I understand Marketing, and Marketing, is the reason why "EVERY piece of promotional material to date has shoved Sonequa Martin-Green down our throats" ;)

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why does nobody ever mention Mary Wiseman? pig-4.gif She's cute.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Why does nobody ever mention Mary Wiseman? pig-4.gif She's cute.​​
    each to their own. I, personally, don't find her that attractive.

Saved me typing anythi... oh, wait...

;)

It's nice to see a cadet amongst the crew, it'll be interesting to see how the character is handled and developed :sunglasses:

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Good stuff stopped being made years ago. Even when a show was good exec found a way to scrap. The last 5 years have been bad. Nothing original and poor story telling. Actually I was wrong. There is a very great show at the moment: The Orville. Now that's Star Trek.

Translation: Television made whilst I was in my nostalgic period was good, TV made after this period is somehow worse and not at all me changing.

But yes you are wrong. About Orville anyway, it's not Star Trek. If you look really closely it's not licenced by CBS under the Star Trek brand and is thus not Star Trek.

Big deal. Neither are fan films, and some of them are way better than what CBS has done in the past 12 years.

No fan production, not even Continues (the only TV quality one) has come close to ENT (as hit and miss as it was) or the KT films.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Interesting bits & teases from Ted Sullivan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iucw5fHiofE&t=9s

So, by episode three, we'll know more about the Discovery herself (and, presumably, the "new way to fly" stuff). This is why I may wait to activate my All Access sub until Monday, so I can get three episodes within the free trial. I'm very intrigued by this ship, and I want to see what the PTBs have cooked up.

Also interesting was the comments about Enterprise. They are being pretty respectful of that show, and are apparently treating is as equal canon. It touches on some of my issues with ENT, though... they tried to cram way too much, in terms of building early canon. This is why I have issues with Drexler's NX Refit design - it just feels too soon in the timeline for that. No surprise that B&B mismanaged canon, regardless of supposed studio interference... but, it would be cool to find out what DSC wanted to do that ENT prevents them from doing.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85 wrote: »
    This is why I have issues with Drexler's NX Refit design - it just feels too soon in the timeline for that.

It does, and we still have the Kelvin, Newton, Mayflower, and Armstrong/Excelsior to get through in canon before the familiar Constitution design appears.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    This is why I have issues with Drexler's NX Refit design - it just feels too soon in the timeline for that.

It does, and we still have the Kelvin, Newton, Mayflower, and Armstrong/Excelsior to get through in canon before the familiar Constitution design appears.​​

Not to mention the Daedelus, which should have been the NX design. (And, I know, Rick Berman loved the Akira design, and wanted that one.)
  • Options

It does, and we still have the Kelvin, Newton, Mayflower, and Armstrong/Excelsior to get through in canon before the familiar Constitution design appears.

Not to mention the Daedelus, which should have been the NX design. (And, I know, Rick Berman loved the Akira design, and wanted that one.)

And the Bonaventure...

pig-7.gif.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

Of those, only the Kelvin existed prior to Nero's incursion, the other designs can be easily jettisoned out of canon for prime timeline purposes.
  • Options

It does, and we still have the Kelvin, Newton, Mayflower, and Armstrong/Excelsior to get through in canon before the familiar Constitution design appears.

And the Bonaventure...

pig-7.gif.​​

Love that ship, it's so kawaii!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User

In fact, only the Kelvin is canon. All the others come from the Kelvin timeline, and are immaterial to the Prime.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Of those, only the Kelvin existed prior to Nero's incursion, the other designs can be easily jettisoned out of canon for prime timeline purposes.

No, they clearly were built at the same time as the Kelvin, a ship that is old and falling to bits even by the time it's destroyed. You can see in Kirks simulator they even have the same old bridge design. They are just used into the KTs TOS era in the same way the Miranda and the E*******r are used into DS9. The are prime canon.
    That's entirely a matter of opinion, isn't it?

No. No it's not. Quality is a measurable thing. Quality of actors, directing, filming styles, lighting, set quality, script and so on, all tangible things.
    All depends on what you value. I also think many of the fan works are better than anything post-TNG, especially the craporama that was ENT and VOY.

Sure, sure. They're not, but if you would rather watch three blokes in a shed and a trial copy of Adobe After Effects over DS9, go ahead, just expect to be mocked for believing that even five blokes and a Premier copy of AAE could rival production TV series or film.
    For some people, canon / consistency and adherence to a certain style and tone that fits with what they fell in love with in the first place is most important. Some people want things to be changed to fit the style and sensibilities of the current time, and for some production values and slick visuals and action are what appeals to them.

Ah, so you're of the type of arrogance that believes people are easily detracted by bright colours and explosions? Could it possibly be that you are so blind you haven't even seen that TOS didn't stick to its own canon and dropped its style as soon as motion picture budgets were available. You have your rose tinted glasses on so tight they've shattered and pierced your brain.
    It's not hard to figure out what fans like me want. Unfortunately, we aren't getting it from official sources and haven't for many years, because the people who want "fresh and modern" are in charge.

Odd that. How people who understand how media must change as audiences change are in charge of TV nowadays.

If the people you look up to (stick-in-the-mud types) were in charge, we'd all still be watching black and white silent films shot on handheld cameras with less resolution than a mobile phone and cursing all the young 'uns with their damn talkies and their fandangled technicolor.

If you cared about TOS or TNG or the fan shows on a personal level, you'd we off quietly watching them or posting threads about how much you like them, you're not, you're simply polluting everybody else's threads with insults to their taste over something their waiting to see. If you don't like something, go forth and ignore it, if you like something, feel free to gush about it 'till your heart's content. TOS is 85% steaming cra.p in my opinion, I'm at least polite (yeah, even me) enough to not go into somebodies TOS appreciation thread and tell them that.

Though I have done that with the E*******r to be fair, but that's a special exception. It's an ugly ship.

Oh come on pig-7.gif. Really? I knew you were mad (you like the E*******r) but is there no end to your depravity?​​

#TASforSTO

• Options

Yeah, it was ridiculous how very TNG everything about Enterprise was. I'd have gone with something like Deadalus, with everything else being DY-class stuff like the one Khan was in. Modified submarine hulls, basically. All the tech needed to be a lot lower as well, especially for the 22nd century. If you're going the early 23rd, you could go Bonaventure class and close to TOS tech but slower, weaker and no transporters and such with a cramped vessel.

Wasn't ridiculous in the slightest. It was all designed how we would design it now. Just as the DY series was a 1960s idea of our first craft and the Phoenix and Friendship One were 90s ideas of our future, the NX was a 00s look at it.

The Daedalus would have looked ridiculous in the 00s, it's less advanced that what we can build now (not in space obviously). We've moved past making things out of corrugated aluminium. We certainly wouldn't be building anything that looks like a submarine. If anything, in real life we're looking at Vulcan designs as what we'd come up with.

And the Bonaventure is not early 2300s. It's most likely contemporaneous with the Daedalus as it was the first ship with warp drive (presumable in the Federation as a joined entity) and is at least three generations old, 'the crews decedents', not children or grandchildren, decedents.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

No, they clearly were built at the same time as the Kelvin, a ship that is old and falling to bits even by the time it's destroyed. You can see in Kirks simulator they even have the same old bridge design. They are just used into the KTs TOS era in the same way the Miranda and the E*******r are used into DS9. The are prime canon.
    ​​

That's just conjecture. No one else has to respect your head canon. You are, right now, in another thread talking about "lithium crystals" to undermine the idea that canon matters at all, but when it comes to your canon, that's sacrosanct. Got it.
  • Options

That's entirely a matter of opinion, isn't it?

No. No it's not. Quality is a measurable thing. Quality of actors, directing, filming styles, lighting, set quality, script and so on, all tangible things.
    All depends on what you value. I also think many of the fan works are better than anything post-TNG, especially the craporama that was ENT and VOY.

Sure, sure. They're not, but if you would rather watch three blokes in a shed and a trial copy of Adobe After Effects over DS9, go ahead, just expect to be mocked for believing that even five blokes and a Premier copy of AAE could rival production TV series or film.
    For some people, canon / consistency and adherence to a certain style and tone that fits with what they fell in love with in the first place is most important. Some people want things to be changed to fit the style and sensibilities of the current time, and for some production values and slick visuals and action are what appeals to them.

Ah, so you're of the type of arrogance that believes people are easily detracted by bright colours and explosions? Could it possibly be that you are so blind you haven't even seen that TOS didn't stick to its own canon and dropped its style as soon as motion picture budgets were available. You have your rose tinted glasses on so tight they've shattered and pierced your brain.
    It's not hard to figure out what fans like me want. Unfortunately, we aren't getting it from official sources and haven't for many years, because the people who want "fresh and modern" are in charge.

Odd that. How people who understand how media must change as audiences change are in charge of TV nowadays.

If the people you look up to (stick-in-the-mud types) were in charge, we'd all still be watching black and white silent films shot on handheld cameras with less resolution than a mobile phone and cursing all the young 'uns with their damn talkies and their fandangled technicolor.

If you cared about TOS or TNG or the fan shows on a personal level, you'd we off quietly watching them or posting threads about how much you like them, you're not, you're simply polluting everybody else's threads with insults to their taste over something their waiting to see. If you don't like something, go forth and ignore it, if you like something, feel free to gush about it 'till your heart's content. TOS is 85% steaming cra.p in my opinion, I'm at least polite (yeah, even me) enough to not go into somebodies TOS appreciation thread and tell them that.

Though I have done that with the E*******r to be fair, but that's a special exception. It's an ugly ship.

Oh come on pig-7.gif. Really? I knew you were mad (you like the E*******r) but is there no end to your depravity?​​
    sometimes amateurs do better than pro. I reember show time at the apollo, the best guys there were amateurs 97% of the time.
    and, for quite some time, Hollywood, and television in general, have been TRIBBLE.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Hey! Our little thread crossed the 100-page mark!

Anyhoo... here is an interview with some of the DSC designers, talking Klingons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il26zKxnXGA

It's funny that people criticize the Klingons for being a monoculture, yet when someone actually tries to add nuance, people lose their minds!
  • Options
    Here's another fun interview with the two showrunners, about respecting canon. I found this of particular interest:
    There are some areas of Trek canon that Discovery’s showrunners simply will not touch. The Romulans, for example, are a “no-go,” Harberts told me, because their appearance in the Original Series episode “Balance of Terror” is supposed to be the Federation’s first face-to-face encounter with the species. Other areas offer more wiggle room. The trick, Berg said, is figuring out which parts of canon are too sacred to toy with and which leave some undiscovered country ripe for further exploration. “Any kind of canon is like Scripture. There’s some interpretation going on,” she said. “I really find that my favorite creative people can look at those boundaries and say, there’s so much room within to play. Instead of going outside the lines, we can dig deeper within the boundaries that exist.”
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User

Yeah, it was ridiculous how very TNG everything about Enterprise was. I'd have gone with something like Deadalus, with everything else being DY-class stuff like the one Khan was in. Modified submarine hulls, basically. All the tech needed to be a lot lower as well, especially for the 22nd century. If you're going the early 23rd, you could go Bonaventure class and close to TOS tech but slower, weaker and no transporters and such with a cramped vessel.

No love for the XCV-330 Enterprise? Its honestly super weird that they didn't completely retcon that ship out of existence when Enterprise was made...

In hindsight I think it would have been really cool if the UESPA fleet didn't have nacelles as part of their ship aesthetics. Imagine if all the United Earth ships in Enterprise were all based on the XCV and DY style asthetics. Top that off by shedding the Starfleet organization structure and make it more of a NASA style space agency and Enterprise would have really stood out as something fresh for the franchise. It would have also shown how much Earth gained from the Federation forming and the pooling of so much knowledge from alien civilizations.

Now obviously the monkey wrench in this is the Phoenix, but they could have just as easily have given that craft rings instead of nacelles. Keep the missile shape with a handful of small warp rings and you would essentially have a lone nacelle with a cockpit instead of a bussard collector.

I'm tempted to make this my personal headcanon for how the TOS history was before all the time travel contamination started retconning things.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The shape of the NX-01 was probably in large based on ensuring that people wold recognize it as Trek.

Otherwise, I think they should have gone in a different direction. I would have kept the two nacelles as the human design for warp engines, but probably did something different with the rest of the ship. Maybe upscale the concept of the Phoenix?

And then have another species like the Tellarite bring other elements that we later see - for example, the concept of a saucer section separated from the warp engine, but yet another shape for the warp engine that we have not seen elsewhere.

So we could see that the 4 founding species brought different design aspects into the Federation ship design that ultimately led to the classic Saucer, Engineering, Pylons and Nacelles design we are familiar with.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    That's just conjecture. No one else has to respect your head canon. You are, right now, in another thread talking about "lithium crystals" to undermine the idea that canon matters at all, but when it comes to your canon, that's sacrosanct. Got it.

Correct, however it's what sensible people call 'a conclusion', now hold on because this might be a bit advanced for you judging by your capacity to read, but sometimes we aren't directly told everything in dialogue, sometimes you have to draw conclusions based on the visual presentation. The Stargazer uses Constitution refit parts to visually show it is not the Galaxy, it is not of the Galaxy's era, and it is a very old ship contemporaneous with the Constitution refit, to this end it uses the same style of bridge as well. The situation is identical with the Olympic in AGT and the Newton et al. in 09. They are old ships of a older period to highlight the contrast with the modern KonsTitution.
    You are, right now, in another thread talking about "lithium crystals" to undermine the idea that canon matters at all, but when it comes to your canon, that's sacrosanct. Got it.

Incorrect, an inability to read is a little bit of a flaw when you're talking online, however I'll break it down, continuity dosn't matter, canon does. lithium vs. dilithium is a matter of continuity, hence the word retcon, retroactive continuity. IF canon was changed then it would be a reboot not a retcon. This is hardly a view I've hidden from you, it's been one of my main points for months.
    Yes, we know you refuse to understand that prequels must maintain canon and consistency with the source material and what is established for the time period. You've said that a thousand times now. Others strongly disagree.

Incorrect on both counts. To be a prequel or sequel to a work the new work must be set in the same franchise as decided upon by whomever owns the franchise. That's it. If you believe I said whatever you thought I did a thousand time I've obviously not said it enough time or you're particularly resistant to opposing ideas. Specifically the inability to accept that TOS messed with its own continuity more than any other show in the franchise has. Or was my quote here insufficient?
    True, but he had no need to lie about the name of his planet, or the number of moons it has (seriously, did he think that thing from TMP could be kept secret from anyone?), he also had no need to grin like a loon or yell at the computer or kidnapped crewmembers on-board his lithium powered, time-warp breaking, warp 14 travelling, laser firing, United Earth starship of the United Earth Space Probe Agency whilst wearing his yellow uniform.

I maintain your brain has been pierced with so many shards of your rose tinted glasses you are unable to see anything any more and simply rely on nostalgic memories.
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    No love for the XCV-330 Enterprise? Its honestly super weird that they didn't completely retcon that ship out of existence when Enterprise was made...

Why would they? It's a perfectly reasonable concept for humanities first warp ship produced with the Vulcans.
    Otherwise, I think they should have gone in a different direction. I would have kept the two nacelles as the human design for warp engines, but probably did something different with the rest of the ship. Maybe upscale the concept of the Phoenix?

I spend so long having to defend ENT against bizarre double standards I never really get to give my own opinion, but I agree with this. I think the Warp Delta or SS Emmett would have made a better Earth ship design, leading only the nacelles to the Federation fleet. The Tellerite could have given the saucer, neck, and hull arrangement, the Andorians the weapons, shields, and hull colour, and the Vulcans the sensors and deflectors.

The Warp Delta or SS Emmett still look familiar and also much more modern and spaceship like than the 1960s DY ships or the Phoenix but still not Federation enough.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    The embargo is up! Here is the first non-spoiler review I watched, from Emergency Awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjY3tNrVUI

He mainly does comic book stuff, Star Wars, and stuff like GoT and Rick & Morty... I don't think he's followed the production that closely, and it's tough to gauge how much of a Trek fan he is.

Still, pretty positive review, from the sounds of it!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yeah, not surprising; i expect a lot of the reviews from outside the trek fandom will be positive and a lot of those from within will be negative - not all, but a lot​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.