Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    (...)
    Certainly sounds like this is one particular race of Klingons, not a complete redesign of the entire species. Something tells me we will see more familiar looking Klingons later on.

Which is basically what everyone not in a hate rage has been saying all along. We will know when we've seen the actual show pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Someone in the comments in the post above mentioned that this could tie into the "Klingon mummification glyphs" that apparently appear in the script of the movie Star Trek IV. They are depicted but not explicitly named in the movie itself. (Probably as one of those trivia questions Spock has to answer in his retraining after his rebirth?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    ^ Great post! Thanks for sharing.

I find these parts very, very interesting....
    [The] Klingon ‘sarcophagus ship’ — an enormous vessel (three times the size of its Federation counterparts — [belongs] to a 25th Klingon house that we hadn’t previously heard of.

It’s a 200-year-old ship. This is a group of Klingons who’ve gone back to a puritan way of life. They look very different: they wear armor that’s 200 years old and they don’t have any hair.

Certainly sounds like this is one particular race of Klingons, not a complete redesign of the entire species. Something tells me we will see more familiar looking Klingons later on.

Wouldn't it be funny if down the road the Discovery crew runs across TOS Klingons and have this wierd puzzled look on their faces?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't think SG:U was badly written at all. It was just not written like a Stargate show, and thus often incompatible with the build-in audience, and the title itself excluded a lot of the potential audience.
    I watched Stargate, but I was not a big fan, it was light entertainment, SG:U was "heavier" and thus hit me perfectly.

A real shame. The idea sounded so cool. Admittedly, the resolution would probably never be as cool as the idea itself is, but the way to it would probably be.
    That's what I meant by the writing was too dark for the IP. On it's own, it was ok but as a continuation of the Stargate property, it was way too dark and dreary for the built-in audience. Trying to take the more lighthearted SG-1 and SG Atlantis and making it into New BSG didn't work.
    Actually it was very much in the same tone as the first SG movie, and season 1 of SG-1... back before Syfy started producing it. Those episodes had a lot more in the way of horrific twists to them. The death of Kawalski was particularly horrific.
    Even on its own though, I think some of the bickering over who is in charge was petty and over top.
    Well, I loathe that sort of behavior IRL.... but the fact I have a definitive opinion tells you that I've had to suffer through it IRL...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2017
    Interesting video about the props!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wzdv_viOQ
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    ^ Great post! Thanks for sharing.

I find these parts very, very interesting....
    [The] Klingon ‘sarcophagus ship’ — an enormous vessel (three times the size of its Federation counterparts — [belongs] to a 25th Klingon house that we hadn’t previously heard of.

It’s a 200-year-old ship. This is a group of Klingons who’ve gone back to a puritan way of life. They look very different: they wear armor that’s 200 years old and they don’t have any hair.

Well it looks like we see the very familiar T'Kumva and Kol right off the bat, but we'll likely get some ridgless Klingons later on. Even ENT managed to shove TOS down our throats despite the visual revamp, I imagine DSC will be doing the same.

Though, thank goodness DSC is hopefully putting to bed that weird concept, that the entire race of Klingons (likely at least 50 billion) in an interstellar empire all would end up contracting the same virus, that seems to be implanted in fans heads (I know ID did but that was an alternate timeline).
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)

Which is basically what everyone not in a hate rage has been saying all along. We will know when we've seen the actual show pig-1.gif

How dare you be reasonable and suggest watching the show. Why not let people fly into blind rages over unreleased material? It's the fanbois way, it's their culture, you can't deny them that you monster...

pig-47.gif​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Honestly if there was ANY race in the Star Trek universe most likely to have their entire species affected by a virus, it's the Klingons. They don't seem to use any methods at all for screening for such things and in ENT it seems like the virus had spread quite a ways before the Klingons figured out how to scan for infected people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Honestly if there was ANY race in the Star Trek universe most likely to have their entire species affected by a virus, it's the Klingons. They don't seem to use any methods at all for screening for such things and in ENT it seems like the virus had spread quite a ways before the Klingons figured out how to scan for infected people.

They also started orbitally bombarding infected worlds. Viruses can't travel through space and planets can be quarantined easier than countries.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    So? Klingons have ships and that's how the virus spread in the first place. People who didn't know they were infected went to uninfected worlds.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > garaks31 wrote: »
    >
    > with every new trailer i fear, this will be like StarGate Universe
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And if that turns out to be what happens, it will be a complete tragedy. SGU had such a great premise. It's unfortunate the writing was abysmally way, way, way, way too dark for the IP.
    >
    > I would love to have seen where they were going with the signal the ancients found in the CMB.

They tried to turn stargate into Battlestar Galatitica level grittiness, and tossed the awesome Stargate Altantis to do so. I'll never understand it.

And look at how much people love the Orville, which rejects the grittiness, as well Amazons Galaxyquest.

TRIBBLE bet on grittiness just in time to catch people when they sick of grittiness.

People are burnt out on shows like Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Galatica, and so on. They want something lighter and more optomistic and upbeat, yes with dangerous enemies, but also with hope and friendship and people that don't sicken you. Gritty was fun for awhile, but now its time for a change back towards what something lighter, what star trek, even DS9 which always had lighter moments and humour, used to be.
  • Options
    So? Klingons have ships and that's how the virus spread in the first place. People who didn't know they were infected went to uninfected worlds.

And were promptly killed by fire from the sky once the Empire did figure out what happened. The Empire is going to reasonably consist of hundreds of worlds, unless the infected reached every border of the Empire before countermeasures kicked in the virus is restricted.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    ^Matter of fact, the showrunners have explicitly said exactly that: the war with the Klingons is only the first season and they're doing other stuff afterwards. I'll dig up the link later.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    lordgyor wrote: »
    hey tried to turn stargate into Battlestar Galatitica level grittiness, and tossed the awesome Stargate Altantis to do so. I'll never understand it.

And look at how much people love the Orville, which rejects the grittiness, as well Amazons Galaxyquest.

TRIBBLE bet on grittiness just in time to catch people when they sick of grittiness.

People are burnt out on shows like Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Galatica, and so on. They want something lighter and more optomistic and upbeat, yes with dangerous enemies, but also with hope and friendship and people that don't sicken you. Gritty was fun for awhile, but now its time for a change back towards what something lighter, what star trek, even DS9 which always had lighter moments and humour, used to be.
    You might want to rethink that statement. The season seven premiere of Game of Thrones hit 30 million viewers on August 2. That's almost triple the ratings even TNG ever got at its height, an average of 11.5 million viewers during season five (and adjusting for population growth doesn't nearly account for that). And that's for a show that's only available by streaming and premium cable.

SGU and SGA, on the other hand, both aired at a time when the Sci-Fi Channel had lost its mind. Recall that they moved SGU from the timeslot Stargate had occupied for over a decade into one where it was in direct competition with several of the most popular shows on network television... in order to replace it with professional wrestling.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    starswordc wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »
    hey tried to turn stargate into Battlestar Galatitica level grittiness, and tossed the awesome Stargate Altantis to do so. I'll never understand it.

You might want to rethink that statement. The season seven premiere of Game of Thrones hit 30 million viewers on August 2. That's almost triple the ratings even TNG ever got at its height, an average of 11.5 million viewers during season five (and adjusting for population growth doesn't nearly account for that). And that's for a show that's only available by streaming and premium cable.

SGU and SGA, on the other hand, both aired at a time when the Sci-Fi Channel had lost its mind. Recall that they moved SGU from the timeslot Stargate had occupied for over a decade into one where it was in direct competition with several of the most popular shows on network television... in order to replace it with professional wrestling.
    One of the frustrating facts of living outside the US.... We are not even aware of the weird scheduling things the US channels and providers pull off, and yet it can make or break a TV show that we immensely enjoyed.

One of the other frustrating facts is that my own Country can't seem to get decent Sci-Fi done. The last big sci-fi series was basically Raumpatroullie Orion, made around the same time as TOS, still black & white.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    ...they don’t have any hair.
    I thought the reason they had no hair was because of "pheromone emitters and sensors" that were an important part of making Klingons into "apex predators". So, are they dumping all that or are Klingons going to grow hair and deliberately "blind" themselves?

If they DO go with the "augment virus", does that mean Klingons lose those "pheromone emitters and sensors" that are part of their ridge? Do they stop being warrior "apex predators" and become scheming communists because they lose those "pheromone emitters and sensors"? Do they become partial communists if they grow hair, or are they still warrior "apex predators" but now have to "overcompensate" because their senses have been significantly impeded.

Edit: Changed "TRIBBLE" to the less accurate "significantly impeded" because the forum profanity filter is set to "Call of Duty chat" settings.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    ...they don’t have any hair.
    I thought the reason they had no hair was because of "pheromone emitters and sensors" that were an important part of making Klingons into "apex predators". So, are they dumping all that or are Klingons going to grow hair and deliberately "blind" themselves?

If they DO go with the "augment virus", does that mean Klingons lose those "pheromone emitters and sensors" that are part of their ridge? Do they stop being warrior "apex predators" and become scheming communists because they lose those "pheromone emitters and sensors"? Do they become partial communists if they grow hair, or are they still warrior "apex predators" but now have to "overcompensate" because their senses have been significantly impeded.

Edit: Changed "****" to the less accurate "significantly impeded" because the forum profanity filter is set to "Call of Duty chat" settings.

Unless this whole 'apex predator' thing is ever mentioned in the shows, just forget about it and don't get yourself all worked up over it. If it's not onscreen it never happened.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Here is a fantastic in-depth interview from StarTrek.com, with one of Discovery's showrunners, Aaron Harberts (Part 1 and Part 2).

It's definitely putting any of my qualms at ease, in terms of the show matching up and meshing well with canon (and avoiding that TERRIBLE Midnight's Edge rumor of this show turning into a "transdimensional" mess that hijacks all of Trek canon, which I can't wait to rub in their faces if/when they're proven WRONG).

Aside from that, I'm also quite fascinated by these hints about the Discovery itself. Harberts says (as does the trailer) that the ship has "a new way to fly," but the PTBs are well-aware that "nobody talks about this ship" in later canon. There's interesting story potential there, and it sounds like they'll handle such opportunities better than Enterprise. (It's also interesting, and not surprising, that B&B's haphazard handling of canon in Enterprise has caused issues in the Discovery writer's room... but they seem to take it in stride.)

Lots of good tidbits here, from Bryan Fuller's influences on the current state of the show, to the choice of Michael Burnham's name, to how the books & comic books are syncing up with the show. A good read!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to this.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this.​​

You know what? I hope you enjoy it. Honestly. I can't see a way I would, but there are different people in this world to whom different things appeal. I hope this makes you happy, no sarcasm. I'll be sticking to this game, fanwork, and The Orville myself. But I wish you and other supporters of this show the best. At the end of the day, IDIC applies. We split ways here, but I wish you good journey.

I don't know why you couldn't have just said that months ago though. However your apology is accepted. Go forth and enjoy your Orville.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    So, Captain Georgiou is apparently a customer of the Picard family vineyard. https://www.inverse.com/article/36479-star-trek-discovery-captain-picard-shenzhou-captain-georgiou
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If we get "Klingon subspecies" I'm going to scream. I hate that stupid concept.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.