test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

19596979899101»

Comments

  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can still see silverlobes's posts when people quote them, but I don't see why you bother. He's still unable to work out how to form an argument other than throwing words and rumours around in the vain hope something sticks. The fact the words and the sentences they form go through U-Turns with every new post he makes should be of no surprise if you understand the simple fact he's got no clue what he's reading or how to respond to it.

    There is no difference between being pedantic and being correct when you're talking about the meaning of words. You don't get to make up your own definitions to suit whatever your argument is this hour and then accuse somebody of pedantry and claim to be dedicated to accuracy.
    Agreed, I don't think he know the definition of "pedant" :/

    I'm sure he's using his own definition.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,951 Arc User
    Prophets, I will be so glad after the show premieres and @baddmoonrizin can finally close this stupid thread.
    810fe608e2f58f3b16ac0735ebedca44--pet-peeves-submission.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can still see silverlobes's posts when people quote them, but I don't see why you bother. He's still unable to work out how to form an argument other than throwing words and rumours around in the vain hope something sticks. The fact the words and the sentences they form go through U-Turns with every new post he makes should be of no surprise if you understand the simple fact he's got no clue what he's reading or how to respond to it.

    There is no difference between being pedantic and being correct when you're talking about the meaning of words. You don't get to make up your own definitions to suit whatever your argument is this hour and then accuse somebody of pedantry and claim to be dedicated to accuracy.
    Agreed, I don't think he know the definition of "pedant" :/
    It means this, right?
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'm simply so sick of my words being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or outright spun, that when dealing with some of the posters here.

    Watch it and enjoy it. Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. But in the name of all that is holy, stop gaslighting and White Knighting CBS's obvious lies about what they're marketing.

    A thousand times THIS! I know exactly the feeling. By now I've pretty much given up on trying to getting through to those people. For your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

    Awww, you both think directly quoting each and every single thing you say when replies are formulated is spin? The real world must be scary.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    On the topic (hey, haven't done that in a while pig-2.gif)...


    https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekNetflix/videos/1584425921577601/​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm simply so sick of my words being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or outright spun, that when dealing with some of the posters here.

    Watch it and enjoy it. Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. But in the name of all that is holy, stop gaslighting and White Knighting CBS's obvious lies about what they're marketing.

    A thousand times THIS! I know exactly the feeling. By now I've pretty much given up on trying to getting through to those people. For your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

    Awww, you both think directly quoting each and every single thing you say when replies are formulated is spin? The real world must be scary.

    Oh my brother... What I find scary - more heart-breaking, actually - is having to speak to (presumeably) adults, in the way I have to speak to an autistic four year old :(
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,951 Arc User
    Oh for phekk's sake, how many times do we have to cover this same godawful argument?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Huh. Tony Romo is surprisingly good in the broadcast booth.

    About an hour away, kids! :smiley:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    And 60 Minutes is over on the east coast!!!!

    LET'S DO THIS!!! See you on the other side!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,763 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm simply so sick of my words being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or outright spun, that when dealing with some of the posters here.

    Watch it and enjoy it. Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. But in the name of all that is holy, stop gaslighting and White Knighting CBS's obvious lies about what they're marketing.

    A thousand times THIS! I know exactly the feeling. By now I've pretty much given up on trying to getting through to those people. For your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

    Awww, you both think directly quoting each and every single thing you say when replies are formulated is spin? The real world must be scary.

    Oh my brother... What I find scary - more heart-breaking, actually - is having to speak to (presumeably) adults, in the way I have to speak to an autistic four year old :(
    The best way to speak to an autistic four-year-old is clearly, and using exactly the words you mean to use, with no hidden meanings or allusions you don't fully express.

    It would be nice if you could express yourself so clearly.

    On the other hand (and this might just be my own sensitivity after all these years of "jokes" at our expense), it sounds to me like you might have meant that label as an insult...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    jonsills wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm simply so sick of my words being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or outright spun, that when dealing with some of the posters here.

    Watch it and enjoy it. Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. But in the name of all that is holy, stop gaslighting and White Knighting CBS's obvious lies about what they're marketing.

    A thousand times THIS! I know exactly the feeling. By now I've pretty much given up on trying to getting through to those people. For your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

    Awww, you both think directly quoting each and every single thing you say when replies are formulated is spin? The real world must be scary.

    Oh my brother... What I find scary - more heart-breaking, actually - is having to speak to (presumeably) adults, in the way I have to speak to an autistic four year old :(
    The best way to speak to an autistic four-year-old is clearly, and using exactly the words you mean to use, with no hidden meanings or allusions you don't fully express.

    It would be nice if you could express yourself so clearly.

    On the other hand (and this might just be my own sensitivity after all these years of "jokes" at our expense), it sounds to me like you might have meant that label as an insult...
    Not an insult, an observation. As I've said before, I'm not unsympathetic, but when dealing with adults on the spectrum, I expect them to have learned that courtesy, politeness and respect, are all two-way streets, and with those like artan, I have no inclination to extend that to someone who consistently behaves so appallingly toward others.

    For the sake of clarity, the autistic four year old I was refering to, is my nephew.
    Post edited by silverlobes#2676 on
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,481 Arc User
    Episode 2 is already available on AllAccess.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,763 Arc User
    Silver, those are indeed "two-way streets", as you say.

    It's a pity you've never traveled them on these forums.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Silver, those are indeed "two-way streets", as you say.

    It's a pity you've never traveled them on these forums.
    I treat people the way they treat me. Consider that, before you ever put finger to key again.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,055 Arc User
    It doesn't matter if it's a reboot or a retcon, you pedant; It's a revision

    So was TNG. So was DS9. So was Voyager. So was Enterprise.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,055 Arc User
    Yeah, but where done right.

    Define "done right". There were a great many Star Trek fans who refused to support TNG because it wasn't TOS.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it's a reboot or a retcon, you pedant; It's a revision

    So was TNG. So was DS9. So was Voyager. So was Enterprise.
    I'd disagree that they were revisions, but were in fact continuations of the IP and the franchise. Enterprise is a funny one, in so much as they flipflopped between retconning, such as the Ferengi episode, and trying to show what became the Starfleet we know, such as the phase pistols, Malcolm reading about "something called 'photon torpedos'" on the Klingon raptor. His complaint early on about how there weren't any preliminrary scans prior to landing, and his concept of the tactical alert. The producers of Enterprise, were at least trying to show Starfleet 'getting from here to there'.

    What was initially teased of Discovery, was of a specific era with nostalgic pull. What was then shown in the trailers, was of something more akin to the Kelvin Timeline (which on an aesthetic level, I don't take issue with, I actually like the Kelvin Timeline and movies, but as we've discussed before, I do object to the dishonest marketing of saying it'll be one thing, but it being aomething else, and then jus gaslighting those who point this out)

    And now Discovery has been released. And look at the reception. Some people are saying it's okay, others are pointing out all the issues which have previously been raised as concerns from the trailers, as well as the notion that Burnham should be in prison for mutiny. This is one of those times when 'I told you...' firmly applies.

    A comparison: OJ Simpson will never admit killing his wife and her friend, but he was still 'found responsible' and ordered to make reparations to the families. CBS will never admit that Discovery is not in fact the Prime Timeline of the past 50 years, but it's clear that it absolutely is something different.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,055 Arc User
    I'd disagree that they were revisions, but were in fact continuations of the IP and the franchise.

    Except that each series did a wonderful job at times contradicting what came before in prior series, including revising canon.
    And now Discovery has been released. And look at the reception. Some people are saying it's okay, others are pointing out all the issues which have previously been raised as concerns from the trailers, as well as the notion that Burnham should be in prison for mutiny.

    So nothing has changed. It's as everyone said all along: some will like it and some won't.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd disagree that they were revisions, but were in fact continuations of the IP and the franchise.

    Except that each series did a wonderful job at times contradicting what came before in prior series, including revising canon.
    Yes, they did in some instances revise canon, but they were going forward chronologically, and that is the nature of any TV series (such as how in Friends, they later created flashbacks which showed a tension between Chandler and Monica when they were younger) That's not the same as writing an intentional prequel, which, as presented, cannot align with the 'era to come'/previous IP. As I said, Enterprise showed where the technology and culture of the day was, and foreshadowed (sometimes very heavy-handedly) signs of how that era, would become what we already knew. Discovery, is going to have to show reasons for why holo communications go out of fashion, why console designs will change. If not, if it is going to simply over-right TOS, then it might as well have been marketed as a revision/reboot, without all the pretense of '10 years before' and 'This is Prime Timeline'.

    And now Discovery has been released. And look at the reception. Some people are saying it's okay, others are pointing out all the issues which have previously been raised as concerns from the trailers, as well as the notion that Burnham should be in prison for mutiny.

    So nothing has changed. It's as everyone said all along: some will like it and some won't.
    That's an over-simplification which fails to acknowledge that the concerns people had prior to release from the trailers, have been proven valid. That 'some like it', doesn't dismiss those who don't, not invalidate their reasons for disliking it ;)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

    "I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,615 Community Moderator
    lI237x7.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.