test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Well absolutely, look at val's earlier attempt to try and prove me wrong about the reaction to Discovery, by thinking (or pretending to think) that I was only refering to the reaction at the comicon itself, rather than all the reactions across the various platforms... I haven't seen someone clutching at straws so desperately in quite some time, but hey, I got a laugh out of it I think it's case that folks don't want to see it, because that would be against the narrative

Pot, meet kettle.
    Tu quoque
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Oi, stop.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I want Discovery to succeed. It has great potential, and if the writers, directors, and producers can be bothered to read some actual science fiction, there is hope they can include some in their TV drama.
    I am ambivalent about Star Trek: Discovery. Succeed or fail, I don't care. The show will be shown on a private service that I have no interest in obtaining. Best case scenario is that I will purchase a one month access and binge watch the first season. However, that will be long after CBS decides whether or not to make a second season (though they probably will since Netflix paid for the majority of the first season).

What is strange is the announcement of a new Trek series that sounds like it will be on a more accessible media. I will check it out (if it gets produced) simply because of the fact it is more accessible.
  • stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Latest costume updates from my fleetmate:

http://imgur.com/a/s6Nad
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    What I find absolutely hilarious about that is the fact that the clusterfrell that was early TNG was 100% Roddenberry trying to produce the series he'd wanted TOS to be, and yet I constantly see people (not necessarily people in this thread, understand) criticizing DSC as "not what Roddenberry intended".

Yep. Funny how history repeats itself.

Dunno, I enjoyed "where no one has gone before", "home soil", "the big good bye", "we'll always have paris", "where silence has lease", "time squared", "contagion", and so on. o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2017
    A very nice theme, nice mixes of TOS, TMP, KT, and even VGR in there. Despite VGR being mostly 'meh' it's theme was always my favourite. Star Trek needs a nice sweeping orchestral theme and VGR and the KT films did that better than any other parts of the franchise for me but DSC may be up there once I hear the full thing.

Edit: What am I saying!??! KT influences?!!?! DSC IS JJ TREK CONFIRMED!!???! MAIN THEME CONFIRMS!!!one!! LYING CBS!!11!!.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    Edit: What am I saying!??! KT influences?!!?! DSC IS JJ TREK CONFIRMED!!???! MAIN THEME CONFIRMS!!!one!! LYING CBS!!11!!.

<SLAP!!> Snap out of it man!!!

IT's To LatE FoR ME!!
    rrxcfu.jpg

Jj IS My TRuTH Now!!||1!​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Edit: What am I saying!??! KT influences?!!?! DSC IS JJ TREK CONFIRMED!!???! MAIN THEME CONFIRMS!!!one!! LYING CBS!!11!!.​​

This game brought to you by the Church of Shatner....loved it.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Edit: What am I saying!??! KT influences?!!?! DSC IS JJ TREK CONFIRMED!!???! MAIN THEME CONFIRMS!!!one!! LYING CBS!!11!!.

IT's To LatE FoR ME!!
    rrxcfu.jpg

Jj IS My TRuTH Now!!||1!​​
    Hold Still, now....
    vSQKlHw.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Are we there yet?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    Star Trek Discovery's Title Theme is out!!

I literally shed a tear of joy... pig-8.gif No seriously.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @mhall85 said:
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=134&v=8dYJ2dXKAIs
    >
    > Catching some Giacchino in there...

Nice to see they learned a lesson from ENT and went back to classical. That's a really nice theme song.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    with every new trailer i fear, this will be like StarGate Universe
    And if that turns out to be what happens, it will be a complete tragedy. SGU had such a great premise. It's unfortunate the writing was abysmally way, way, way, way too dark for the IP.

I would love to have seen where they were going with the signal the ancients found in the CMB.
    Or the race that built Solar Systems.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

For anyone who hasn't, listen all the way to the end. Remember when someone said the show was, over time, going to start trending toward what we saw in TOS? The musical themes are an intriguing indication...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > For anyone who hasn't, listen all the way to the end. Remember when someone said the show was, over time, going to start trending toward what we saw in TOS? The musical themes are an intriguing indication...

Indeed. The fanfare is what got me in Beyond as well, somehow this piece lets me sob happy tears on cue...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

And if that turns out to be what happens, it will be a complete tragedy. SGU had such a great premise. It's unfortunate the writing was abysmally way, way, way, way too dark for the IP.

I would love to have seen where they were going with the signal the ancients found in the CMB.

I don't think SG:U was badly written at all. It was just not written like a Stargate show, and thus often incompatible with the build-in audience, and the title itself excluded a lot of the potential audience.
    I watched Stargate, but I was not a big fan, it was light entertainment, SG:U was "heavier" and thus hit me perfectly.

A real shame. The idea sounded so cool. Admittedly, the resolution would probably never be as cool as the idea itself is, but the way to it would probably be.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

I don't think SG:U was badly written at all. It was just not written like a Stargate show, and thus often incompatible with the build-in audience, and the title itself excluded a lot of the potential audience.
    I watched Stargate, but I was not a big fan, it was light entertainment, SG:U was "heavier" and thus hit me perfectly.

A real shame. The idea sounded so cool. Admittedly, the resolution would probably never be as cool as the idea itself is, but the way to it would probably be.
    Heh, the story as presented was never going to be wrapped up. To do so would basically mean they'd solved the greatest mysteries of the universe. Though I was looking forward to what they were gonna do next. the existence of a race that can build solar systems was an intriguing teaser. No it wasn't the blueberry aliens.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Heh, the story as presented was never going to be wrapped up. To do so would basically mean they'd solved the greatest mysteries of the universe. Though I was looking forward to what they were gonna do next. the existence of a race that can build solar systems was an intriguing teaser. No it wasn't the blueberry aliens.
    The aliens were IMO also pretty well done. They felt a lot more alien then common for Star Trek and Stargate, for example.
    jonsills wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

For anyone who hasn't, listen all the way to the end. Remember when someone said the show was, over time, going to start trending toward what we saw in TOS? The musical themes are an intriguing indication...
    Yes, that's what I thought, too.

I kinda think the ending doesn't work so well as a musical ending, but if it's symbolic for the story/thematic ending...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.