test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If we get "Klingon subspecies" I'm going to scream. I hate that stupid concept.

If they were consigned to a single world maybe. As an interstellar empire I'd expect it.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    After millenia maybe. But not in a couple of dozen generations. For example in Warhamner 40k human settlements were separated by "warp storms" rendering interstellar travel impossible for thousands of years. That I'd buy (in sci-fi).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    After millenia maybe. But not in a couple of dozen generations. For example in Warhamner 40k human settlements were separated by "warp storms" rendering interstellar travel impossible for thousands of years. That I'd buy (in sci-fi).

But this is a society that undertakes its own genetic modification and hybridisation is another possibility. It's nowhere near as annoying to me as trying to pass it off as variance on a single world.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

> @artan42 said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > After millenia maybe. But not in a couple of dozen generations. For example in Warhamner 40k human settlements were separated by "warp storms" rendering interstellar travel impossible for thousands of years. That I'd buy (in sci-fi).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But this is a society that undertakes its own genetic modification and hybridisation is another possibility. It's nowhere near as annoying to me as trying to pass it off as variance on a single world.​​

Yeah that was my favourite part about ENT zD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Yeah that was my favourite part about ENT zD

And so it should be. A warrior race striving to make itself better utalising an available weapon (genetic engineering) and their own hubris destroying them (the virus). Very poetic and in character for both the Klingons and the overall message.​​

#TASforSTO

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Wasn't it Pulaski that pointed out that the Klingon body was "over-engineered" or something like that. It seems the idea that the Klingon body got some genetic engineering helpings was established early in the franchise, though never really discussed much.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    with every new trailer i fear, this will be like StarGate Universe

And if that turns out to be what happens, it will be a complete tragedy. SGU had such a great premise. It's unfortunate the writing was abysmally way, way, way, way too dark for the IP.

I would love to have seen where they were going with the signal the ancients found in the CMB.

https://www.comixology.com/Stargate-Universe/comics-series/94033?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

it continues in comics
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    I don't think Pulaski meant that Klingons were literally genetically engineered/modified. Just that they had evolved that way.

But speaking of Klingon genetics and modification, theorizing on that, what if the Klingon genome is highly adaptable? Allowing them to adapt/evolve quickly, even within a generation, to their environment as a means to become a more efficient hunter/warrior race. From a science fiction standpoint, it could go a long way to explain why the Klingons were mutated so easily by the Augment virus, and why they seem to have no need of medical assistance with interspecies offspring. Their DNA adapts quickly to ensure Klingon survival.

Perhaps, the ease with which the DNA adapts would cause concern to some Klingons Houses, who might seek to keep their DNA/bloodlines pure. Hence, we have at least one ancient Klingon House that doesn't want to loose what it means to be Klingon, and so, isolated themselves for a time. Perhaps, keeping their DNA/bloodlines so "pure" (possible inbreeding) that it mutated in its own way, and that's why they look so different from Klingons that we're used to seeing.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I still prefer the 'new makeup, same old Klingons' approach. If the appearance matters, show how in the show. If it doesn't, then it's just a prop, and as such makes no difference anyway. As a storytelling technique, overexplanation of trivial details is at best a distraction. This detail is, to my way of thinking, about as important as the scientific explanation of the shape of Vulcan ears and eyebrows
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    with every new trailer i fear, this will be like StarGate Universe

And if that turns out to be what happens, it will be a complete tragedy. SGU had such a great premise. It's unfortunate the writing was abysmally way, way, way, way too dark for the IP.

I would love to have seen where they were going with the signal the ancients found in the CMB.

https://www.comixology.com/Stargate-Universe/comics-series/94033?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

it continues in comics

Now where do I get that in Germany?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Now where do I get that in Germany?

Thalia should be able to order any comic or book for you. Worked pretty well in the past pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If we get "Klingon subspecies" I'm going to scream. I hate that stupid concept.
    Maybe it's the result of hybridization? For example, in certain parts of the empire it's common to find Arin'sen hybrids, but not the parts farther from the Arin'sen HW.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    How long were the Klingons enslaved by the Hur'q before winning their freedom? It took only a few centuries of selective breeding, after all, to turn wolves into everything from Tibetan mastiffs to chihuahuas - and even despite the rather dramatic anatomical differences, they're all the same species, Canis lupus (with dogs, in all their magnificent variety, belonging to the single subspecies C. lupus familiaris).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    'Twas the week before Discovery
    And all through the web
    Some Trekkies were stirring
    Because of what Riker apparently said

:tongue:

Minor-ish plot spoiler potentially revealed by Frakes. Won't post it here, in case others don't want to know. TrekMovie has an article on it. Read at your own choosing. :smile:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    it took WAY more than a few centuries - man and wolf have been partners since caveman days, and those happened thousands upon thousands of years ago
    mhall85 wrote: »
    And all through the web

Minor-ish plot spoiler potentially revealed by Frakes. Won't post it here, in case others don't want to know. TrekMovie has an article on it. Read at your own choosing. :smile:

you could just use
    tags you know​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > I don't think SG:U was badly written at all. It was just not written like a Stargate show, and thus often incompatible with the build-in audience, and the title itself excluded a lot of the potential audience.
    > I watched Stargate, but I was not a big fan, it was light entertainment, SG:U was "heavier" and thus hit me perfectly.
    >
    > A real shame. The idea sounded so cool. Admittedly, the resolution would probably never be as cool as the idea itself is, but the way to it would probably be.
    >
    >
    >
    > That's what I meant by the writing was too dark for the IP. On it's own, it was ok but as a continuation of the Stargate property, it was way too dark and dreary for the built-in audience. Trying to take the more lighthearted SG-1 and SG Atlantis and making it into New BSG didn't work.
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually it was very much in the same tone as the first SG movie, and season 1 of SG-1... back before Syfy started producing it. Those episodes had a lot more in the way of horrific twists to them. The death of Kawalski was particularly horrific. Even on its own though, I think some of the bickering over who is in charge was petty and over top.
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, I loathe that sort of behavior IRL.... but the fact I have a definitive opinion tells you that I've had to suffer through it IRL...

It's not that SG-1 and Altantis couldn't be dark, Wraith Hive ships are pure Nightmare Fuel, but it countered that with light hearted moments instead of always been grim dark. Same with DS9 and Voyager both of which had extremely dark episodes and plotlines, but which were balanced out by episodes like Our Man Bashir for example.
    edited September 2017
    it took WAY more than a few centuries - man and wolf have been partners since caveman days, and those happened thousands upon thousands of years ago
    mhall85 wrote: »
    And all through the web

you could just use
    tags you know​​

Maybe I couldn't remember the tag... so thanks. :blush::smiley:

And here I was, so proud of my poem... anyhoo, the spoiler is...
    MIRROR UNIVERSE!!!! And I don't know how I feel about it, LOL. Frakes apparently said we'll get one episode in the Mirror universe. It's not the episode he directed, apparently, and it's obviously not the setting of the entire show.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    ruh roh...​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    ruh roh...​​

LOL... should be interesting, one way or another!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I never liked the MU. As a one-off story, sure. It made a point: how different would we be if raised with other values? As a continuing setting it makes no sense.

For example, everyone we know from the 'prime' universe is alive in the Mirror Universe, unless they have been killed in an earlier MU story. But also, some who died in the Prime Universe are alive in the Mirror. But examined logically, there are far too many points of deviation for such extensive doubling. If G. Kirk proved too ambitious he probably wouldn't have survived to make a Jim. The more points of deviation, the less likely any couple even meets to produce the offspring their counterparts in another universe engendered.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    ^Pretty sure the Xindi were stated to be unrelated species that evolved contemporaneously on the same planet, not subtypes of the SAME species.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    jonsills wrote: »
    How long were the Klingons enslaved by the Hur'q before winning their freedom? It took only a few centuries of selective breeding, after all, to turn wolves into everything from Tibetan mastiffs to chihuahuas - and even despite the rather dramatic anatomical differences, they're all the same species, Canis lupus (with dogs, in all their magnificent variety, belonging to the single subspecies C. lupus familiaris).

Selective breeding in animals/pets takes place since Sedentism, so it's at least 10,000 years. Since the domestication of the wolf dates back to nomadic times it's probably even longer than that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    The Mirror Universe gets even more fun if you read the IDW comics, in that the crew of the Kelvin-Enterprise has encountered both Prime Mirror Universe and Kelvin Mirror Universe versions of Kirk. Although the alternate reality where the Klingons created the Federation is probably even more fun to think about.
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I would like to see an extended Mirror Universe story that worked the way the two John Crichtons worked for a while on Farscape. Two ships, working separately, each with a mix of mirror/real characters. It might not work too long with the hammy-style MU we're used to, but I think it's an interesting premise.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    For somewhere between ten and thirty thousand years, we've been domesticating wolves. It's only for the last couple thousand that we've started breeding them for specific purposes, and only a couple hundred that we've done it for aesthetic reasons alone. And in that time we've produced bizarre creations like the English bulldog, which is barely able to breathe and almost always has to give birth via c-section because the pups' heads are too big for the mother's birth canal; or the bull terrier, one of the so-called "pit bull" breeds, with its weird convex snout; or what the AKC's breed standards did to the once-bright collie. And all of those are members of C. lupus familiaris.

So. We know that the Klingons were slaves of the Hur'q for at least a short time. We also know that Klingons are not above playing with their own DNA, even when that might seem, well, ill-advised to a more patient species. (That was, after all, part of the sequence of events that led to the Augment Virus.) Let us then assume that these odd Klingons we see here are exactly what they say they are - a separate, not to say separatist, group that wants to return to the ancestral ways of the Klingons. The Virus has already swept through their people, improbable as that might seem in terms of real-world epidemiology, but that's not the only place Star Trek handwaves biology, so we'll let that go. This group, then, may well have practiced a little genetic surgery on themselves, to appear more like whatever they think "ancestral Klingons" looked like, and then adopted practices they think their ancestors might have followed (much like modern Terran neo-pagans attempting to both reconstruct and merge the practices of the Druids and other ancient European religions).

Of course, we'll have a lot more information to argue over in about a week, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    One of the minor tidbits of Klingon lore that often gets forgotten was in the season S4E24 episode of TNG "The Mind's Eye", the governor of a Klingon colony makes a comment that in the past the Klingon Empire would generally crush any attempts at succession or rebellion. TOS also had references that they spy on their own captains to make sure they are being loyal.

So the idea of a group of Klingon's operating separately from the rest of their society doesn't quite gel with how Klingons have been portrayed as a group... but that is a relatively minor quibble, and the writers will often cherry pick cultural traits based on what they want to do. Klingon society when taken as a whole is barely functional and would never last more than a generation or two as a major power.

I'm less annoyed by the Klingon's new appearance as I am about their really weird ship designs.
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    One of the minor tidbits of Klingon lore that often gets forgotten was in the season S4E24 episode of TNG "The Mind's Eye", the governor of a Klingon colony makes a comment that in the past the Klingon Empire would generally crush any attempts at succession or rebellion. TOS also had references that they spy on their own captains to make sure they are being loyal.

So the idea of a group of Klingon's operating separately from the rest of their society doesn't quite gel with how Klingons have been portrayed as a group... but that is a relatively minor quibble, and the writers will often cherry pick cultural traits based on what they want to do. Klingon society when taken as a whole is barely functional and would never last more than a generation or two as a major power.

I'm less annoyed by the Klingon's new appearance as I am about their really weird ship designs.

As long as we're bringing up forgotten Klingon lore... one of my favorite unanswered questions (I think it's unanswered) is from the episode The Emissary. The focus of the episode is K'Ehleyr making sure that Klingons coming out of long-term stasis don't attempt to restart the war, but what I don't think I've ever heard is an explanation of what the Klingon's secret mission was. Just something that's bothered me.
    So, the latest from the "calm the eff down, haters" news desk...

Here is a picture of what T'Kuvma would look like, before he got his Dollar Shave Club subscription:

yPTDoCc.png

Looks like a "normal," non-virus-riddled Klink to me!
This discussion has been closed.