test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• ghostrevolverghostrevolver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After the patch today, whenever I go to the character select screen its just black. Is there any way to solve this?

I cannot get the mac client because my os is OSX 10.6.8 and it requires 10.7.5

I wish Cryptic would have just left it alone instead of steadily increasing the system requirements.
  • wingervanwingervan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After the patch today, whenever I go to the character select screen its just black. Is there any way to solve this?

I cannot get the mac client because my os is OSX 10.6.8 and it requires 10.7.5

I wish Cryptic would have just left it alone instead of steadily increasing the system requirements.

I am kinda in the same boat, but I was able to get as far as Starfleet Academy when my GPU spazzed out with texture artifacts and extreme polygon distortion, now I am stuck there and crashing after character selection. It's probably expected, seems as more and more of the graphics in game are being updated the limitations of the drivers on Snow Leopard are showing.
  • therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why stick with 10.6? you can upgrade to 10.9 for free... is there some reason you have to stick with 10.6?
    edited November 2013
    Why stick with 10.6? you can upgrade to 10.9 for free... is there some reason you have to stick with 10.6?

No problems to upgrade to Mavericks, except my 9400m (13" MPB) is below spec on the Official Mac beta. This may sound a bit -- I dunno -- inexcusable not to upgrade, but one Power-PC app in specific has stopped me from dropping Rosetta. I would have Lion or Mountain Lion already if it wasn't for Homeworld 2. I love this game.

Before the patch I was getting 18-20 FPS using your wonderful 1.5.0 UMV in rootless fullscreen. After the Season 8 patch it is blanking out after pressing "Engage"... no Cryptic logo, no Legacy of Romulus screen. The process is loading though, and I eventually hear the character select screen. I could see it clocking the CPU on iStat in the taskbar.

Thinking this patch may have done something to X11/Xquartz, I patched an alternate 2nd Wineskin and install I have with 1.6.0 UMV. I was able to get in the game, get about 18-20 FPS, until I went to check out Starfleet Academy where my character now sits. It flickers, and comes to a halt, and I have even gotten Crash logs, and Cryptic ticket submission windows. I have not sent tickets seeing how this is "unofficial." If you want any of the logs let me know, I can post them.

P.S. I was able to get in and through all of the distorted polygons and flickering managed an "emergency beam-out" to ESD. So I am in game, but somehow think it remains unplayable without access to the Academy (and i suppose all of the new season 8 content.)
  • bobsagetyyzbobsagetyyz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Same as above, except I was managing to see the loading screens. I was getting flickering at the character select screens, with no ability to select anything. Did a force verify, loaded it into safe mode, ran it windowed, and it still wouldn't run. I'll try the 1.6.0 version when I get the time.
    edited November 2013
    After getting unstuck (the crashes from the previous post) I got in and did some more testing. Although I miss the faster task switching and the ability to see the taskbar in the 1.5.0 UMV, I have managed to get into Starfleet Academy.

Using the 1.6.0 UMV, I added "-d3dx11 Enable 0" to the Cryptic Launcher command line option right after enablerawinput or whatever was in there. Seems as maybe they are using some DX11. My 9400m 'Cannae do it, Jim.' -- Even if I was in bootcamp/windows it just isn't equipped.

So forcing direct x 9 has cleared up the artifacts. I did get some flickering on loading in and some tearing of polygons at first, but eventually after a minute or so everything seemed to clear up.

If your stuck and can't run the "Official Mac Beta" you can apparently still use the UMV. I'm still testing and will try some of the new content and try to post when I can.
    edited November 2013
    UMV 1.6.0 does not work for me. I ran it straight out of the ZIP, and I only got a black screen. I updated the engine and all that, and it still does not work, even in Safe Mode. Have there been enough graphical tweaks that my GeForce 8600M GT will not work with it?
  • jwmobrienjwmobrien Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So... STO has been working like a beaut for the best part of 6 months. Sometimes I'd have to re-download it and install it again because of crashes now and then. But recently it keeps crashing non stop and it's driving me insane!

I'll launch, patch and even show the CRYPTIC loading screen but after that, it just crashes. I've let it patch the 12GB 3 times, verify all files and done the small patch loads of times too and it keeps crashing after the CRYPTIC loading screen.

Any idea's? Or fixes? I've been using both 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 versions.

My specs:
    2008 MacBook
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4MB
    Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
    I'm running 10.6.8 and not Mavericks because I'm not forking out a few 100 euro for more memory.
    edited November 2013
    jwmobrien wrote: »
    I'll launch, patch and even show the CRYPTIC loading screen but after that, it just crashes. I've let it patch the 12GB 3 times, verify all files and done the small patch loads of times too and it keeps crashing after the CRYPTIC loading screen.

I know I get stuck for a long time after the Cryptic logo screen on the Legacy of Romulus after every patch. After 4-10 minutes though I eventually get to the character screen. I can see how one could think there is a crash because there is no progress bar or anything. Is this what you are seeing? Or are you getting CTD with reports?
  • jwmobrienjwmobrien Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wingervan wrote: »
    I know I get stuck for a long time after the Cryptic logo screen on the Legacy of Romulus after every patch. After 4-10 minutes though I eventually get to the character screen. I can see how one could think there is a crash because there is no progress bar or anything. Is this what you are seeing? Or are you getting CTD with reports?

I'm not even reaching the Legacy of Romulus screen. Just the CRYPTIC loading screen and then it crashes. I'd get alias of reports and oops! Messages.

Any ideas? Or do I have to upgrade to Maverick on my MacBook due to the season 8 update?
    edited November 2013
    jwmobrien wrote: »
    I'm not even reaching the Legacy of Romulus screen. Just the CRYPTIC loading screen and then it crashes. I'd get alias of reports and oops! Messages.

Any ideas? Or do I have to upgrade to Maverick on my MacBook due to the season 8 update?

I did a quick search, and some intel integrated chips were apparently deemed incompatible after previous updates at Cryptic. The result was crashing right after engage at the Cryptic logo screen, with oops windows and crash logs. I didn't search too far but your problem may be something not specific to the wineskin but to windows installs as well. Try poking around and see if someone with the same problem has a fix. If it worked on windows it may work for you as well.

(I came back to edit this today 11/17/13 -- I guess there is something in the 'known issues' section of the patch notes, so it may be fixed by Cryptic soon. Lets hope this is what your problem is.)

Mavericks may not solve your problem, but if you want to try it, that is up to you. I am eventually going to get Mavericks, but 4gb ram is minimum. I am going to get the ram up to 8gb to run it with the recommended amount

My original problem with UMV 1.5.x was not necessarily a crash, but not displaying the window after pressing Engage on the launcher. The x-window would flicker on right after engage, but then blank out almost instantly. I could stlll switch to the task and see it in the taskbar. I could see it on iStat using the CPU as always, loading in has a bit of a patten on the graph. I can get the character select screen and hear the music, but can't see a thing. It's not minimized and not in spaces somewhere, it's just not even displayed. :(

As far as 1.6.0 goes, I really thought it was marginally okay. Takes a minute to switch to teamspeak, etc, as I have to tab out then right-click / hide it on the dock. It's always on top of everything, even when not the priority window. Needless to say I haven't spent much time at Starfleet Academy zone, but i popped in there today. It flickered, and froze up. After a hard re-boot, I was able to log in and get out. I tried the Romulan tutorial area, not sure what it is called, but there were graphical glitches there as well. Mainly polygon tearing, and black texture on the faces.
  • snarfquestsnarfquest Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So...

No matter what I do now... The game crashes my Mac and I have to force power it off to get it to boot.

Wine isn't a solutions guys.
    Wrapping it in emulation is not a solution either.

Either write a real MAC OS version or please please please don't waste our time.

My specs:

MacPro 12 core with 32gb ram
    ATI 7970 3gb
    OS X 10.9

End result? = Star Trek online crashes and hangs my mac before I can even login. Total stupid TRIBBLE.
    edited November 2013
    snarfquest wrote: »
    So...

No matter what I do now... The game crashes my Mac and I have to force power it off to get it to boot.

Wine isn't a solutions guys.
    Wrapping it in emulation is not a solution either.

Either write a real MAC OS version or please please please don't waste our time.

My specs:

MacPro 12 core with 32gb ram
    ATI 7970 3gb
    OS X 10.9

End result? = Star Trek online crashes and hangs my mac before I can even login. Total stupid TRIBBLE.
    They did write a real version, just recently.

I made this years ago, its been around for the life of STO. Use the official Mac version Beta, and not this.
    edited November 2013
    I would definitely make the leap to Mavericks, but i'm perfectly happy with 10.6.8, and I'm not entirely sure my computer would support the specs of the official mac version.

The other thing is, I can't get this version to work, either. Even in safe mode and windowed, too, which usually works. Did the Windows system requirements change recently or something?
  • ghostbustermatt7ghostbustermatt7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My launcher opens up, and I sign in, and all the sudden it disappears...
  • ghostbustermatt7ghostbustermatt7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i really wish it would work, can anybody help?
    edited December 2013
    i really wish it would work, can anybody help?

You are really better off upgrading your OS and using the official Mac version.

If you really need to get this one working, you need to give a lot more details...
  • galacticalphagalacticalpha Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    after the dyson sphere was downloaded, I began to notice lags/ and freeze of the game. I did a diagnostic on my computer, and all is well. It can be a network issue from your servers/game. the game constantly lags, hangs, freezes all about a minute or two. can you apply a fix to this problem or solve the problem? thanx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghostrevolverghostrevolver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *can't figure out how to delete this...
  • andrewharrisandrewharris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orionsrock wrote: »
    Anyone else seem to have either of these issues?

-I can't hear footsteps for some reason. Every other sound is audible just not the footsteps. It doesnt seem big but this actually is slowly driving me insane.

-Nimbus crashes...alot.

Yep, same here. I know it seems like a small thing but for me makes ground missions unplayable. I'll log in to do ship stuff but for any ground stuff I log in on my PC.
    edited January 2014
    Yep, same here. I know it seems like a small thing but for me makes ground missions unplayable. I'll log in to do ship stuff but for any ground stuff I log in on my PC.

upgrade your machine and use the official Mac version... thats what I use... the Unofficial version isn't needed any more... this thread is pretty irrelevant unless you are trying to use a really old machine to play running 10.6, which isn't supported by the official version. If your machine has 10.6 and cannot upgrade to 10.9 (which is free), then it probably cannot handle STO very well anyways.
  • fireblaster8fireblaster8 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Definitely a lot of happy Mac users
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am getting the following error message when launching it as normal:
    There was an error loading the login page. Please restart the launcher and try again.

Error -2 when loading url /launcher_login

Any idea whats wrong?
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    With the new season I cannot hear any audio and graphics problems (which was fine before season 9), anyone experience the same thing?
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I know the other thread is a sticky (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=76799) but its an old archived post and can no longer be edited. I have a new version made, and that post has 2000+ replies, so maybe its time for a new post to be stickied :-)

What the heck is the Unofficial Mac version?
    Its a mac .app you can put the Windows version inside of, and run it on Mac OS X without having to install or use Windows! The final product looks and works like a normal Mac .app (for the most part). This download is a "wrapper" not the full game. You will have to either copy your installed version from Windows inside of it (fastest), or reinstall the game into it and do full patching and everything... More specifically, it is a Wineskin wrapper.

just a big note...

This is not made by or supported in any way by Cryptic Studios, Perfect World, or anyone associated with them... this is entirely fan made

System Requirements are the same as Windows version, since it uses the Windows version
    It runs on Mac OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, and OS X 10.8
    Intel GMA950 and X3100 GPUs will not work correctly, or at all, but most other AMD, Nvidia, and Intel HD graphics should work.
    Since the 1.6.0 update, GPUs are untested, and the wrapper is no longer using X11, so it is currently unknown what will not work right.

***Download link is at the bottom of this post***

If your crashing in Earth Space Dock, you need to try lowering down some graphic settings at least temporarily... turning on half resolution usually works while at ESD, maybe turning off other graphics settings... annoying I know...

Bajoran Fire Caves
    Weird graphics bug here, that turns the screen gray. How to fix it? Set your graphics setting off of custom settings and set it down to bare minimum low settings... then you should be able to see everything. You can then turn all your graphics settings back up and it should remain fine while your there...

Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.5.1 (Uses X11)
    Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.6.0 (Uses experimental Wine Mac Driver)

(Direct download links hosted through Dropbox.com)
    The download comes with directions on how to use this wrapper
    double click the .zip file to unzip it, it will give you a folder with the wrapper, and directions.

Backup Download Link at Mediafire-->All STO UMV versions made are available here

***MAJOR NOTE!
    If you have mouse movement and click issues, and /or typing issues, try this...
    • Open the launcher.
    • Click on Options on the top right.
    • In Advanced command line, enter the following:
    • -enablerawinputsupport 0
    • Click OK and launch the game as usual.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Mac: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues" category?
  • whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    This OP is helpful, especially now.
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I updated my OS to El Capitan and the wine wrapper version of STO isn't working anymore. The app (STO wine) freezes at launch (doesn't open any windows, just jumps one time in the app bar in the bottom). Any ideas?

I fixed the problem. You have to update the wrapper engine. I got myself the porting kit app from PaultheTall and update using that app. After that it worked again. Here is the link:

http://portingkit.com/en/
    Post edited by asches1 on
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Why do I get the message that my graphics card won't be supported after 2017 March 1.? This wine wrapper uses X11. I shouldn't get the message... Am I wrong? It will still work after March 1.?
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • collossustitancollossustitan Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Got a Mac Pro 2012 with Intel HD 4000, should be able to run DX11 but cant. Tried using the 1.5.1 with porting kit and Windows 7 but didn't seem to work. Anybody got a clue?
  • nixnutz7nixnutz7 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    if I read the information on the winehq site correctly, version 2.0 is the first real implementation of DX11. At this point it is only partial.
    Anyone else have a different take?