test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 is a failure.

Comments

• newsinsnewsins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While I agree with what a lot of people are saying, I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a complete failure. The ground area is much funner then any of the others, including New Romulus staging area.

Personally, I would take this new area and begin to add to it. Start developing this new area by adding some story, do things like new episodes missions. The Federation story hole is highly annoying though. They wouldn't just walk in and go "This is all mine, we are taking over and we are going to war with the Voth. Help us do that!" There should have been some sort of diplomatic approach that lead to them doing what the are doing.

But, they can develop off of this new area so hopefully they do that vs just leave it as is. There is lots of opportunity for both story and game play in the new addition.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't consider an expansion a success unless theres actual new content.

What we got was a new rep grind and two weeks (I'm being generous) to figure out the most efficient way to face roll the Voth.

The new "Missions" in the Dyson sphere are done so fast I didn't even know I'd done them.

The added story content (Yeah, there is some but you have to hunt that **** down) is miniscule.

The new FE gave me so much hope for this season. It really was a great episode, I was expecting something at least close to that with the new missions for this season.

What we got though was just more grind in a new shiny package.

... ... ...

With all new silly putty faced player characters.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not angry with the content. It's moderately intertaining. Kind of funny the big tech add on could be considered a tweeted king of the hill mechanic from pvp. The foundry add ons are great for authors from what I've heard.

The real disappointment was the sponsorship tokin. This was cryptics chance to do something about reputation and let players actually discover what a real end game is like. unfortunately most people will end up wasting more time thanks to the mechanic that only really helps resource management. No one should be expected to do more than two characters worth of reputation per faction per rep grind. We have time constraints and this is stopping the devs from creating real end game stuff like legitimately difficult raids and exploration type gameplay, not to mention the lacking pvp.

Cryptic needs Ferengi diplomatic style rep, iconian rep, cardassian rep, a fed-Klink war rep and then to call the system done, no more rep systems for rare species like the Voth or Tholians that arent an integral part of the franchise. The fleet system can handle the constant need for content additions afterwards, and the other rep systems are already content starved with only one or two raids with good reward rules. So then they can have epic raids made for them, and people can choose what they like to play without feeling obligated to do the same missions repeatedly. Afterwards a rich game that offers many potential play styles to be explored through gear is found.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hicks451 wrote: »
    PMSL. You obviously haven't got a clue about Star Trek then mate and if you are defending this pile of TRIBBLE then it looks like you have already had the chill pill as no normal descent person on this earth could see season 8 as nothing but a step back in turms of gaming, Graphics and Story lines and it's just utter rubbish which has nothing to do with Star Trek, oh and you obviosly are up the back sides of Cryptic!!! :D And in fact i haven't got a bloody clue why i'm even taking the time to reply back to you as your a D***. Anyway I have every right to say what i like as this is a forum for members to say there part in what they like or dislike in a game and im saying my point and dislikes and if it doesnt suite your liking you can go and do one in a dark room as well you muppet!!! LOL Oh no you cant say that about STO and cryptic, You moron it looks like you need to get a life!!! LOL

Name calling with asterisks is uncalled for.

I blatantly pointed out you had your opinion and where entitled to it. I also stated i had an opinion and it was different than yours.

So simply stated attacking me for my opinion while stating what i bolded in your reply, makes you a massive hypocrite. Try breaking up sentences and paragraphs instead of wall of texting everything. [friendly suggestion]

Also name calling will not be tolerated.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hicks451hicks451 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    PMSL He must be one of those guys who thinks the fan based Star Trek attempts are part of the real thing and fit inbetween the gaps of the real Star Trek series PMSL :D I see season 8 as a failed fan based star trek episode LOL
    edited November 2013
    Why cant people just agree to disagree?

Some like the content.

Some dont like the content.

Some think the content needs improvement.

Some think its fine the way it is.

Welcome to the internet, change your pants, and stop targeting your anger at other people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *Hands you giant chill pill*

Relax dude. There is ONE part with a dino with lazer beams and thats the V-rex, and its less a monster killling machine boss, than it is a distraction from the Voth trying to use the Omega particale generator.

Most are Voth with HANDHELD lazers, not voth with them attached to their heads. The other Traditionally styled "dinosaurs" are the supply runners. So i dont see why you focus on ONE thing that appears once in the three sections.

Its various cap and hold, and rather entertaining. But your opinion is noted, and now mine is stated.

Oh BTW the chill pill is a suppository, so you know where you can stick it :D
    Well, it's mostly Voth in normal combat. Occasionally you'll encounter a combat dino in a regular Voth unit, but not often.

I have to admit to being disappointed with the amount of story explanation for the new missions. Sure if you look hard enough you can find it but it's odd having to search for the reasons behind things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hicks451hicks451 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    LOL Practice what you preach mate!!! You haven't got a clue and you dont know if you are gas or electric!!! LOL Now go to bed or play your fan based season 8!!! :D
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    You know what? I also could be spending entire days with my family, but I gotta' do this thing....you know, go to work, earn some money...

Oh wait, you thought that the devs. are doing this because they're milionaires bored to death with nothing better to do in their free time? :D

I'm not saying the devs. aren't nice and all, cause they're cool, but at the end of the day making this game is their job. No Season 8 - no content. No content - no players. No players - no revenue. No revenue - no job.
    Then they could spend all the time in the world with their families, but are probably gonna' spend it worrying how to support their families without a job.

this wins the thread !!!!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited November 2013
    LOL Practice what you preach mate!!! You haven't got a clue and you dont know if you are gas or electric!!! LOL Now go to bed or play your fan based season 8!!! :D

Now you are either just trolling, or completely clueless yourself. You are making no sense whatsoever.

And you realize this is a game, and just like a game would be. It is essentially a big jumble of fan-fiction.

If i was home i would play it, but as i do this thing called work i must do that. Buit good god man its a game, if you hate it so much why do you play it? No wait i can answer that its to complain and yell about it on the internet.

Well congratulations, you managed to whine in a forum. But the content isnt bad in my eyes, id look at it from your point of view but i dont have a horse tall enough.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Well, it's mostly Voth in normal combat. Occasionally you'll encounter a combat dino in a regular Voth unit, but not often.

I have to admit to being disappointed with the amount of story explanation for the new missions. Sure if you look hard enough you can find it but it's odd having to search for the reasons behind things.

I actually enjoy havng to search for the story, its more....immersive? instead of everything being handed out on a silver platter. While the "story line" for this, is just basically a tutorial on the sphere and what you can do in it, at least it tosses you a bit of XP.

People seem to keep thinkin this is another expansion, but its just a few more things to do, its FREE added content, with the simplest least grindy rep tied to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • newsinsnewsins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hicks I have to say your posts are extremely condescending and purely trolling the community. You have the right to your opinion but when someone doesn't agree with your opinion you attack them. Grow up.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At least the procs bug is getting fixed today :(

No word on some of the others.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • mashaniemashanie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At least the procs bug is getting fixed today :(

No word on some of the others.

You know what's funny? The procs bug didn't seem to hit that hard in the Sphere. I put off my Plasmonic Leech for now, because that was ruining my weapon power, but after that, I rarely set myself on fire or managed to proc the Omega on myself. Found it pretty weird.

I'm glad it is being fixed this fast, I feared that our Fleet Anniversary might go down the drain if Cryptic decides to pull a maintenance during the weekend.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Doom. Doom. Doom. Doom.

Doom. Doom. Doom. Doom.

Doooooom. Doooooooom.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

... Unless you tailor the game to me.
    <3
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    How bout we finally get the frakking Iconian war going. I mean jesus been hiding in the backround for how long now?

How long? Couple of weeks, a few months tops. It feels nice being in perpetual 2409, doesn't it?
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited November 2013
    How long? Couple of weeks, a few months tops. It feels nice being in perpetual 2409, doesn't it?

does anyone have a idea of how much time has really passed in this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013

IKR. Though I would like to finally see 2410. 400 years later than 2010, the year we make contact. 2410 will be the year we make contact part 2. :cool:
    daan2006 wrote: »
    does anyone have a idea of how much time has really passed in this game?

Time hasn't passed. Do the new tutorial for Fed. You are the class of 2409. We're in a Loop. Doing the same thing over and over again.

Come on devs 2410! The year we make contact with the iconians!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    Time hasn't passed. Do the new tutorial for Fed. You are the class of 2409. We're in a Loop. Doing the same thing over and over again.

Come on devs 2410! The year we make contact with the iconians!

i was not talking in years but weeks months
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really want to love season 8 but I just can't it's just so boring. It's like a theme park episode with little story and boring rewards. I was at least expecting the fleet carriers to get a few model changes but other than a new skin it seems to be nothing more than a grind for a stat boost.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So New Romulus was found, explored and colonized in what? Under 12 months?
    And they already designed and constructed an entirely new ship class (Ar'kif) AND refittet it (Ar'kala).

Short half time for a ship. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    And they already designed and constructed an entirely new ship class (Ar'kif) AND refittet it (Ar'kala).

but then again the earlier models usually last longer then later models. still have a 1993 corsa in the backyard and 50 year old microwave that is still going well. in startrek the excelsior class like the K'T'inga were over 100 years old by the end of VOY. had a klingon crew not destroyed their D7 cruiser, that would show that ancient tech is still better then later tech.

NVM, hard to explain this sort of thing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »

The Romulan storyline starts prior to 2409 and moves forward in time to the discovery of NR. The only time it "synchronizes" with the present of 2409 is when your character picks an ally, which would've given the Republic plenty of time to design and build the Ar'Kala and retrofit it as the Ar'Kif.

Then, if you go through each mission one by one, enough happens to your character during that "lifetime" that it should feel like more than enough to fill a year of "real time" in that character's life, especially considering how eventful the lives of various captains were even in peacetime.

Remember, the modular shipyard system revolutionized the way ships are built, tested, refitted and retrofitted for every faction. Thank Geordi and Miles for that.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    but then again the earlier models usually last longer then later models. still have a 1993 corsa in the backyard and 50 year old microwave that is still going well. in startrek the excelsior class like the K'T'inga were over 100 years old by the end of VOY. had a klingon crew not destroyed their D7 cruiser, that would show that ancient tech is still better then later tech.

NVM, hard to explain this sort of thing.

hehe, funny, as I play the Ar'kif Retrofit, not the (lore wise) newer Ar'kala.

(lol, very retro... the ship isn't a whole year old :D )
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The worst part of it, we've been asking for these things over and over and over.

Nobody listens.

Everything from Klingon updates and repairs, to STF adjustments to fixing huge problems in many of the early Fed missions.

We've asked for more missions, less grind, and make things a challenge.

I cannot spend money on this season... because there is nothing to spend the money on. I actually wanted a time-ship... a Dominion ship... my Galor. That Tholian ship.

Really the new carrier and the new Voth ships do nothing for me. Yawn, more fighter-spam.

I'm also disappointed in the new weapons -- I can't justify buying another set of hybrids... especially when it's clear the person who came up with them is simply mashing existing procs together.

"It's just like existing ______ weapons but SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT."

We haven't had anything truly NEW in the game for a very long time.

Basically, I'm ramping down my participation. I can't bear to play another season of Vice Admiral Bob Does Fetch And Carry Work. Seriously, some of the missions I'm playing consist of "pick up the token carry it to another map point."

When I'm not doing that, I'm slaughtering Voth to move a line on a readout.

THIS is ridiculous. We KNOW the team can write, we know they can produce stories people want to play... we saw it with LoR. Yet they continue to deploy shlock like Season Eight.

When something original and truly worth playing comes down the pipe, I'll spend my money, and I'll play the game full time again.
  • knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    The worst part of it, we've been asking for these things over and over and over.

Nobody listens.

Everything from Klingon updates and repairs, to STF adjustments to fixing huge problems in many of the early Fed missions.

We've asked for more missions, less grind, and make things a challenge.

I cannot spend money on this season... because there is nothing to spend the money on. I actually wanted a time-ship... a Dominion ship... my Galor. That Tholian ship.

Really the new carrier and the new Voth ships do nothing for me. Yawn, more fighter-spam.

I'm also disappointed in the new weapons -- I can't justify buying another set of hybrids... especially when it's clear the person who came up with them is simply mashing existing procs together.

"It's just like existing ______ weapons but SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT."

We haven't had anything truly NEW in the game for a very long time.

Basically, I'm ramping down my participation. I can't bear to play another season of Vice Admiral Bob Does Fetch And Carry Work. Seriously, some of the missions I'm playing consist of "pick up the token carry it to another map point."

When I'm not doing that, I'm slaughtering Voth to move a line on a readout.

THIS is ridiculous. We KNOW the team can write, we know they can produce stories people want to play... we saw it with LoR. Yet they continue to deploy shlock like Season Eight.

When something original and truly worth playing comes down the pipe, I'll spend my money, and I'll play the game full time again.

They won't listen, bug fixes, new content that players can do will NOT generate MONEY and that is all they simply care about. But new Fleet Holdings, Starbase projects, ships and lockboxes will so Cryptic puts ALL their energy into that and we get a half-assed content update like Season 8 with shallow writing and no depth.
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't care about the Voth.

Don't care about random Dyson sphere that isn't the one we saw in relics.

Don't care about the battlezone because ground combat is terrible. And the territory control is a waste when it's against NPCs and it's pointless when it just resets anyway.

Don't care about the Delta Quadrant. Come on they haven't even finished the Alpha and Beta quadrants and they already want to take us to a whole other quadrant. Typical Cryptic, leave the old to languish and move onto the next shiny.

And frankly I find the dinosaurs with lasers on their heads offensive to something trying to represent Star Trek. Thankfully it's only in one zone but it just goes to show how little creativity they have and little respect some of the devs have for the series.

The Breach will be fun for a while but Storming the Spire feels the same as most other queue missions. Just fly around in circles shooting the enemies. Only with a different background.

Every other season I was hyped up for and constantly played every day to see every new piece of content and feature. This is the first time I logged in on a new season, played a few hours and felt done with it already. I'm not even going to bother with the new reputation. This new content is so easy I feel like I wasted my time on the other reps and gearing up. What have we been gearing up for? There is no escalating difficulty in new villains. There's no new challenging raids to put our gear to use. There's no real end game boss. And there's very little pvp.

This is all more like the DS9 episode Battle Lines where we just keep dying and respawning and killing over and over again, achieving nothing and going no where, trapped in this ever lasting cycle.
  • gmokmoudgmokmoud Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Season 8 is more like Capture The Flag in the Battlefield or Call of Duty series than anything.

There's hardly any storyline in it at all...it's run over here and shoot something or fly over there and shoot something else, depending on where you're at. It's a First Person Shooter brought into STO. I guess that's what the masses wanted but STO's main attraction for me is a good storyline...this mess does nothing to capture my interest at all.

The Sphere of Influence mission or whatever the one with Worf is called has a better storyline than the entire Season 8 scenario does. I have no desire to get involved with Season 8 after just 2 days with it.

I'm already starting to play other games instead of spending time in STO.
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why?

Because I could actually log into the game and play it within the first hour of release. I don't consider a new expansion to be a success unless I actually have trouble logging in with all the other players stretching the server capacity to its limit. Like with LoR.

Because I can do the Breach on elite once per day and have my reputation projects filled for that day.

Because the Dyson sphere doesn't offer anything beyond "fly around and shoot and grind for marks".

Because Voth ships tank and do nothing else. I took out a fleet of 3 Voth battleships and various frigates by myself in a JHDC and the most annoying part was that it just took a while.

Because I encountered one or two players at the most in every Dyson space map.

Because the control levels in each zone mean nothing and do nothing to advance the allied presence in the Dyson Sphere besides letting me fly around a little faster than usual.

Because the Fleet Spire is just another fleet holding that I can build without doing any of the Season 8 content.

Because the most fun part of Season 8 that I had was Sphere of Influence. Y'know, the only mission that advanced the plot.

But what's worse than Season 8 being a failure is that it is a disappointment.

This thread is a failure.

First of all, this game has lost population. I was asked in a thread three days ago to "cite" this statement. I said, "open your eyes". When I said this, they said, "You'll be correcting yourself after S8 comes out because the login queues will be back". I told them they were delusional and were in some fantasy realm, not the real world. Nothing but "doom" and "tin-foil" comments ensued. Who's laughing now? Well, it is most certainly not me because this is what the thread intended to subvert.

The pay-to-win system has a stranglehold on this game and even while the lips of the game are turning blue, people enjoying the system won't wake up and are content to die this peaceful death.

Secondly, this update, by itself is a total success. The release of no new pay-to-win items would have made it even better. But it starts on a great premise and that is filling the boots of the game's genre -- a MMO. This is the first expansion where team play is required and a good report with your group and folks in your zone encouraged -- the only way to make it closer to perfection is to give the best loot to teams with the most damage on the mob to substantially encourage grouping and letting groups "handle" encounters themselves.

Lastly, if this expansion had no pay-to-win on its release, I imagine the numbers would have been much higher -- however it is discouraging for any new or returning players to see yellow spam (about 2-8 messages per second just after the servers came back online) of all the players paying to win. If I was not well versed in the fact that money doesn't buy skill only an edge -- I would have likely quit and given up myself.

/2ec
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i was not talking in years but weeks months

Umm from the start to Season 8? I'm guessing 6-11 months at best.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1