Install Arc

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Federation Discussion
Hello STO community!

This channel is based on my original post here

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1014301&highlight=channel

Summary

Star Trek Battles is catered towards bringing some show accuracy (x2 maybe x3) into STO. I touch on this in my original thread but what I mean by accuracy is in the show you DO NOT see a ship like the Defiant take on a Cube solo rather it takes a whole team of ships working together bring down the Cube. You also DO not see ships park n' shoot, they fly around in circles going in and out... see clip in my original thread for basic idea. (Still a classic IMO). Here are some of the ideas I have to achieve this.

Guidelines

- Ships MUST be outfitted with their race specific weapons for example the Feds use phasers Klings Distruptors and so on.

- Ships MUST have torpedoes fore and aft, again race specific.

- No parking!, all ships must be flying at all times. (NO stopping unless engines are offline) EDIT: I have seen the Enterprise D take a defensive position where it was between the Ent C and incoming BOPs as well as someone mentioned seeing the bigger ships taking a parking position. Up to this point there has not been any issues with this guideline but if you saw it you can do it is my stance. I personally will fly my ships cause that's what makes it fun for me. Keep in mind tho you park your defence is lowered as most of you know.

- Any ship in the game may be flown, it does NOT have to be a canon ship, i.e. Avenger with phasers or Elachi with disruptors.

- Also I request that we ALL keep a level of HIGH respect to one another when using STB channel. No swearing or abusive comments, it will NOT be tolerated. This is meant to be fun and not a debate or a place to start taking shots to one another. If there is a misunderstanding and you cannot resolve it let me know and I will try to help as best I can.

- There are some RP elements such as mission briefing but nothing I would consider like UBER RP.. I may throw something like Engage or something like that. It's welcomed but NOT required.

- It also has become somewhat of a tradation for ships to meet up for warp out as well as after the mission but it is not enforced but sometimes the question will be asked for the sake of looking COOL! :cool: below are some examples.

- Meet up above earth orbit or DS9
- This is where we form up and "report" or discuss mission tactics/roles
- After a run we form up again "report" and warp out

STB POST DR thoughts

It's been a couple of weeks since the launch of DR. With the statement from Cryptic saying that the new Advance was the SAME as the old Elite.. I found no reason to change my builds. Experiencing it first hand though... THAT is NOT the case. With the current state of STO, meaning the amount of HP the NPC's have now in Advance, the previous DPS cap has been lifted for now. I was against the thought of upgrading my gear but saw the need to with my first experience with ISA. It took me a couple of tries but with the help of some people within STB I think we found a new formula that will help us complete the new Advance missions. Here are some of what I believe would help. (Based on ISA)

- At least 2 - 3 high dps ships around 10k + with the rest being support.
- SOME upgraded gear (I have only upgraded 2 Beam Arrays & 1 field gen console to MK XIII)
- Teamwork! I cannot put enough emphasis on this... you can't complete the mission that requires dps when one of your team mates are dead.

It is possible to do ISA, KSA & CSA in CANON loadouts with time so spare.

With the current mechanics of STO I also did have to change my build to more beams than torps.. Usually I go 1 Beam Array and the rest torps.. I have to go 2 Beam arrays & 2 torps fore & aft.. I still prefer the 1/3 mix but I think I can still go back to that with more upgraded torps.

Please do note tho that there is no one forcing anyone to upgrade but it is recommended but all can be obtained within good time. There is NO rush for STB to become #1 in dps but what I'd like to see is STB be good at just playing and having fun in STO.

There maybe more edits down the line but I think for now this will do.

I'd like to thank all the Captains who have joined STB, all of you have made it a game that I will STILL continue to enjoy the Star Trek way.

Special shout out and thanks to the following fleets that support the STB Channel
- Spartan Vanguard of the 11th Fleet STB
- Fed Alliance Fleet FED & KDF sides
- Apocolyptic Fleet

Here is a list of the Admins of STB.. feel free to contact them in game or myself.

@reyan01 (Etilen)
@jindaro (Solona)
@admiraltrappitt (Zacky/Sud)
@Arkhangel81 (S'vek/David/Jerick)
@risingstar2009 (Emira)
@Tyrinius (Clare/Setek)
@natorepublic (Nato)
@inputend (Andrew)
@steveangelis (Steve)
@dragonsbrethren (Kinanra/Tharon)

And of course myself @trizeo1 (Trizeo/ZED/Tuzak/J'war)

Captain Trizeo signing off!

EDIT: April 20, 2014 - Here are some vids taken by one of the admins @risingstar2009 - thanks Captain 07 (<--- salute)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16383231&postcount=399
Post edited by trizeo1 on

Comments

• revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the idea.

However... What do you consider the romulan race specific energy weapons? In the series they used disrupters, in sto they use plasma.

And for the Klingons, they were seen to use all kinds of torpedo weapons, what's their torpedo?
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love this idea...count me in too. It'll also allow people to use ships that have fallen out of favor, such as the Galaxy for example, that are just collecting dust in a hanger.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • wetworth1wetworth1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would do this, sounds like a good change of pace, and can make my science ships useful again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    djf021 wrote: »
    I love this idea...count me in too. It'll also allow people to use ships that have fallen out of favor, such as the Galaxy for example, that are just collecting dust in a hanger.
    wetworth1 wrote: »
    I would do this, sounds like a good change of pace, and can make my science ships useful again.

That's great! I will send you invites when I'm in game next.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok, count me in as well
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    djf021 wrote: »

You could actually extend this to "canon ships only", but that would probably turn off a lot...
  • timothyre99timothyre99 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm interested but I'm not sure If I could afford making a new build. Then again, you did say that we have to use mk XI or lower, and I don't think phasers are that expensive on the exchange. Plus, this would be a way for me to try the new loadout system. I might be able to join. Send the invite to @timothyre99 and I'll try to make it work.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Send me an in game email about this to @steveangelis and I will join.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
    edited February 2014
    You could actually extend this to "canon ships only", but that would probably turn off a lot...

Well I don't want to make too much rules because it could take away the fun factor? But for me with my MVAE I put phasers/quants/torps only... I know I can put cannons on it but in the show I didn't see it shoot cannons so I won't put cannons. It will be a WIP and we will just have to see what everyone wants to do.
    I'm interested but I'm not sure If I could afford making a new build. Then again, you did say that we have to use mk XI or lower, and I don't think phasers are that expensive on the exchange. Plus, this would be a way for me to try the new loadout system. I might be able to join. Send the invite to @timothyre99 and I'll try to make it work.

I went with MK X blues which I think costed me 60,000 EC/phaser array? I could be wrong. I mentioned above that my DPS parsed in ISE was still 7k+. A fellow channel member suggested it may be a bit too high so I was contemplating on going MK V even hahahah!..

With the new loadout system it's GREAT! I want to go DPS to get things done and over with I do but if I want to fly my ship and use my Multi Vector Assault Mode I go STB!
    edited February 2014
    I like the idea.

However... What do you consider the romulan race specific energy weapons? In the series they used disrupters, in sto they use plasma.

And for the Klingons, they were seen to use all kinds of torpedo weapons, what's their torpedo?

I can leave that up to you =)
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To save people from spending too much of they have some already just compensate with having ships without consoles such as no tactical consoles.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This sounds good.

I know what works in game, but am also a big fan of canonical builds. I've got a beam boat Prometheus and a torp boat Akira (Armitage) sitting in the hangar and they do just fine in PvE.

The only problem I see is the gear restrictions. I run purple XI/XII and/or fleet quality gear on all my ships... period.
    edited February 2014
    To save people from spending too much of they have some already just compensate with having ships without consoles such as no tactical consoles.

That can work as well. Currently I have 5 tac consoles 3 of which are the phaser ones and 1 for quant and 1 for photon. It's totally up for discussion. I have left my other consoles on such as Zero point and the assimilated.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Count em (@admiraltrappitt) in. I'm even trying to make canon builds. Hard to find that stats thopugh. But, I'm trying, and when I have it done, I'll post it to the forums.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
    edited February 2014
    dsaris wrote: »
    This sounds good.

I know what works in game, but am also a big fan of canonical builds. I've got a beam boat Prometheus and a torp boat Akira (Armitage) sitting in the hangar and they do just fine in PvE.

The only problem I see is the gear restrictions. I run purple XI/XII and/or fleet quality gear on all my ships... period.

I as well have top line fleet weapons and gear and switch out to my phaser/quant/photon build. As suggested above maybe we can see how just taking off the consoles do? In the end need to have it as close to the canonical builds as you mentioned above. Most if not all Fed ships have phasers/quants/photons so I want to keep as close to that as possible. My set with tac consoles costed me 300k+? and with the new quick switch it's easy to switch between different builds.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the idea very much. It would make a change to be able to enjoy ISE again with having to co-ordinate efforts and actually work against the clock - instead of blitzing through it in 5 minutes.

Opinion would be divided on this, but I personally think the gear cap should be enforced. To make it even cheaper on EC go with green MK XI instead. You could outfit an entire ship, consoles and all, for pennies.

If you allow players to use top end fleet gear, universal consoles and all the other toys it would just result in the same blitz we already have - just a more canon version of it. Might as well carrying on pugging.
    edited February 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I like the idea very much. It would make a change to be able to enjoy ISE again with having to co-ordinate efforts and actually work against the clock - instead of blitzing through it in 5 minutes.

Opinion would be divided on this, but I personally think the gear cap should be enforced. To make it even cheaper on EC go with green MK XI instead. You could outfit an entire ship, consoles and all, for pennies.

If you allow players to use top end fleet gear, universal consoles and all the other toys it would just result in the same blitz we already have - just a more canon version of it. Might as well carrying on pugging.

The reason for keeping the top gear like shields etc is for the survivability as they can still sting but it wouldn't be out of the question, that also can be discussed. Im suggesting even going lower like MK V, I haven't tested it but as I mentioned with MK X gear blue in ISE I still got 7k+ dps. I was still using buffs n' all the good powers available to me like BO3.

I figure MK V would net around 3 - 5k? I don't want it too low but just enough... what that is will have to be determined amongst the STB members.
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »

Work with your fleet... I know pretty much everyone in my fleet has dialed back the DPS of their builds in an effort to make missions enjoyable again... 5k DPS is more than sufficient to handle anything found in PvE.
  • posvaliposvali Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Great idea, like it very much! I want to see if it will give me back the the good feeling of accomplishment and actually use the brain not just the muscles. (And to add that probably the best STO feel I got was with the T3 and T4 ships, during leveling part, hehe.)
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    The reason for keeping the top gear like shields etc is for the survivability as they can still sting but it wouldn't be out of the question, that also can be discussed. Im suggesting even going lower like MK V, I haven't tested it but as I mentioned with MK X gear blue in ISE I still got 7k+ dps. I was still using buffs n' all the good powers available to me like BO3.

I figure MK V would net around 3 - 5k? I don't want it too low but just enough... what that is will have to be determined amongst the STB members.

I understand, sounds good! Feel free to send an invite my way, I'm happy to go with the majority. :)
    dsaris wrote: »
    Work with your fleet... I know pretty much everyone in my fleet has dialed back the DPS of their builds in an effort to make missions enjoyable again... 5k DPS is more than sufficient to handle anything found in PvE.

I'll bear that in mind, the more regular players are in the high DPS camp but I will mention it.
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i give it a try as well. Would set up a Romulan/Mogai.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good luck with your endeavors......been running CGE and IGE for years.....and years.

No level of toning down the dps will make it fun for me......

y'all must be relatively new players.......:P
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Interesting idea.

My Sovereign would have 2 arrays front, + 1 photon + 1 quantum launcher and in the rear 2 arrays and 1 photon + 1 quantum since ships like the sovereigncan fire both.

The galaxy would probably have one photon front and 3 arrays (should be 2, but that would leave one slot unused) and teh same in the rear.

Intrepid would have 2 arrays and 1 photon front , 1 array and 2 photons rear. photon front can be swapped for tricobalt.

Defiant runs quad cannons, dual beams, quantum and photon front, 1 array, photons and quantums rear.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Whoa!!! :eek: What a glorious idea! :)

This is great for me as I already build my ship based on canon - phaser/quantum for Fed.; disruptor/photon for KDF and plasma/plasma for Rom. :)
    I also usually fly cruisers and I use both fore and aft torpedo tubes. :D I just need to switch the weapons, but I have crafted Mk XI arrays so it shouldn't ba a problem.

I look up the channel when I drop in game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mouertemouerte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Like this idea.

Speed runs and Scimi FAW spam kings really become boring after a time so nice to have
    a change of pace.
    send me a inv @mouerte
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This sounds like Fun, I could refit my oddy for this on my main. I"m down!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sounds fantastic. Handle is @Merkage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So basically, this is an RP channel? Or rather, a combat channel with a bit of RP mixed in?
    I need a beer.

edited February 2014
    adabisi wrote: »
    Good luck with your endeavors......been running CGE and IGE for years.....and years.

No level of toning down the dps will make it fun for me......

y'all must be relatively new players.......:P

Well I've been playing STO for about 7 months and though I have gotten my numbers up DPS wise... it was not getting any funner?

For ME when I ran the lower gear and forced myself to fly around I was/is having fun just like I had when I first started playing STO.

It is just a change of pace to keep STO interesting fun for me and if I can take a couple of people down with me well Im game because I really do enjoy playing STO.
    edited February 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Interesting idea.

My Sovereign would have 2 arrays front, + 1 photon + 1 quantum launcher and in the rear 2 arrays and 1 photon + 1 quantum since ships like the sovereigncan fire both.

The galaxy would probably have one photon front and 3 arrays (should be 2, but that would leave one slot unused) and teh same in the rear.

Intrepid would have 2 arrays and 1 photon front , 1 array and 2 photons rear. photon front can be swapped for tricobalt.

Defiant runs quad cannons, dual beams, quantum and photon front, 1 array, photons and quantums rear.

Im going to have to try these configurations but I know it will be fun either way....

I haven't looked but I'm sure there is a guide out there that will have what load outs each ship has.

All in all it's in the name of having a bit of fun.