test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 is a failure.

emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
Why?

Because I could actually log into the game and play it within the first hour of release. I don't consider a new expansion to be a success unless I actually have trouble logging in with all the other players stretching the server capacity to its limit. Like with LoR.

Because I can do the Breach on elite once per day and have my reputation projects filled for that day.

Because the Dyson sphere doesn't offer anything beyond "fly around and shoot and grind for marks".

Because Voth ships tank and do nothing else. I took out a fleet of 3 Voth battleships and various frigates by myself in a JHDC and the most annoying part was that it just took a while.

Because I encountered one or two players at the most in every Dyson space map.

Because the control levels in each zone mean nothing and do nothing to advance the allied presence in the Dyson Sphere besides letting me fly around a little faster than usual.

Because the Fleet Spire is just another fleet holding that I can build without doing any of the Season 8 content.

Because the most fun part of Season 8 that I had was Sphere of Influence. Y'know, the only mission that advanced the plot.

But what's worse than Season 8 being a failure is that it is a disappointment.
Post edited by emacsheadroom on

Comments

• emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why is the Federation so TRIBBLE?

What happened to the diplomatic option? Have any peace delegations tried to open up talks with the Voth and say "please stop harvesting the particle that could ruin everything"? But no. The Federation is all about "Shoot first, don't even bother asking questions". Because the guys making the decisions at Cryptic know that "kill everything" is what sells, except that Trek is about the opposite of "kill everything".

How arrogant is the Federation to go to the other side of the galaxy to impose its will on another sovereign power while having such limited knowledge of what we're dealing with? Maybe the Voth have millions of years of experience with harvesting and using Omega particles? They can build ships the size of small moons. They take centuries to perfect technology before using it. They don't take crazy risks. So maybe they know what the hell they're doing.

Maybe we should ask them! They might be harvesting Omega to fight the Iconians. Maybe if Cryptic thought of creating gameplay other than "fly around and shoot the big dumb object and get a reward", this would feel like Star Trek and not "Generic space action MMO: now with space T-Rexes!".
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to agree with everything you said OP... Even the "the servers didn't explode" part LOL. It has become tradition has it not?

I also hate having the new fleet ships (especially the vet ones) locked behind yet MORE gates. Like we really NEEDED another fleet holding? It is just more stuff that I will not get to play with for years and the big fleets will chew up as fast as the projects can end. Whooptidoo.

I do like the new Rep system a fair bit better and hope they redo the old ones like it but still it is another grind... yay... I have not even gone to the Sphere and I probably will not go there for a long time because I do not need to nor care.

Also the sphere looks wrong as many have pointed out as a real Dyson's sphere would be SO HUGE that you could NEVER see the curvature from the inside nor the other side of the sphere.

I do like the free space suits though... And the Tribble is alright.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree, the new Fleet holding is just fluff for playing in the Dyson Sphere. Just more unnecessary fleet grinding. Where small fleets are further punished for being small, and forget KDF Fleets, since the PvE Queues are dead to earn Fleet Marks. (And consoles trivializing Purple MK12 Tactical Consoles, while causing more power creep).

Reputation, yeah its another boring grind and torment for people with multiple characters. (They lied about helping people, unless you want to wait 2 months to get a discount).

Space Adventure zone........absolute boredom. Just a ton of "rat ear" missions.

Ground Battle zone.......it was fun at first. But it's impossible to tell your zone what to do when there literally 100 other zones doing the same. So there is no coordination and you lose time having to go back and recapture.

And those Dyson Marks for "purchasing" Reinforcments..........what a waste.

So if people are still hyped about S8, wait til thanksgiving and see if they still have that same resolve.

Hopefully Season 9 will be no more Reputations, no More fleet Holdings and have content that's actually worth it, like real Exploration.
  • ramaramaramarama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I did find it odd that I just got in when logging in earlier today. I was pretty excited since I haven't played in a very long time. I jumped into my favorite ship, the Galaxy X, and leaped into the fray.

Sadly, that fray did not last. After completing an odd tutorial of sorts, I had finished all I could do in The Sphere. All that was left were random missions and some other missions bound to timers. I was...done....for the day.

I completed several runs of the new ground based mission. I had a lot of fun there...

Completed two rounds of the contested area. By the third run, people were ignoring the incoming capital ships...kinda sad to see that so soon.

Did some random missions in the starting space area whose name escapes me.

All in all, I did all the dailies bound to these areas as well as a run of each of the new group missions. It was fun, but I'm having a bit of trouble grasping the fact that...in one sitting, I finished the Season? There's got to be some stuff I missed or something. Something.

Yeah, I guess that's it. Sorry for the rambling. It's late...
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Because I could actually log into the game and play it within the first hour of release. I don't consider a new expansion to be a success unless I actually have trouble logging in with all the other players stretching the server capacity to its limit. Like with LoR.
    Well, that's no surprise: Many apparently can't get in, as we have a 30-page threadnaught about the connection issues. 2 out of my 5 computers are inoperatable as a result, with apparently no rhyme or reason. If that ratio is anywhere close to the general public's, a significant number simply cannot play.
    That does seem to match the "people can't play at all" issue.

But yeah, it seems kinda meh. On top of that, we have emergency maintenance anyway, even though it doesn't fix anything...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Well, that's no surprise: Many apparently can't get in, as we have a 30-page threadnaught about the connection issues. 2 out of my 5 computers are inoperatable as a result, with apparently no rhyme or reason. If that ratio is anywhere close to the general public's, a significant number simply cannot play.

That does seem to match the "people can't play at all" issue.

But yeah, it seems kinda meh. On top of that, we have emergency maintenance anyway, even though it doesn't fix anything...

It doesn't match the "people can't play at all" issue because the game was not utterly packed when I played it. It looked like just another regular day in STO, outside the Dyson sphere as well as inside it. I'd say people couldn't connect due to some server side problem that has nothing to do with server load.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yea i played threw it today its defiantly no replacement for the old grind style. and why no marks for defending the towers that literately made me do it one time say hey no mark and never do it again expect for the daily mission. the ground mission has promise but the map is just badly made people tend to spread out but that aside you go to jump off a spot oh its a invisible wall plague this map to the point you literately get frustrated.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    id like to point out that when our fleet was doing the ground runs earlier this afternoon we were in instance 111 of the battlezone.

That is at least 111 instances (and likely more) of 20 players each

There were over 2000 people in there, folks. It was by no means dead at all. Thats just a snapshot, too. I never saw any instance I was in with less than 10-12 people in it.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gotta agree if i saw a timed mission i skipped over it. if it didn't give marks i skipped over it aka the tower defense grounds map needs tweaking once you get the people organised it can move alone. the ground grind in this is far batter then the space maybe that was there idea because grounds largely ignored endgame.
    edited November 2013
    id like to point out that when our fleet was doing the ground runs earlier this afternoon we were in instance 111 of the battlezone.

That is at least 111 instances (and likely more) of 20 players each

There were over 2000 people in there, folks. It was by no means dead at all. Thats just a snapshot, too. I never saw any instance I was in with less than 10-12 people in it.

Not dead, but not packed either. I even tested by logging out and back in a few times. Never had a problem getting back on. 2000 online accounts isn't that high a number. For comparison, Eve Online currently has 20,000 online accounts right now.
    edited November 2013
    gogereaver wrote: »
    the ground grind in this is far batter then the space maybe that was there idea because grounds largely ignored endgame.

head meet nail

it is completely and blatantly obvious that the battlezone is the centerpiece of the entire season, what sucks is that the vast majority just arent into ground at all

it might gain a little traction, but already i was getting a bit bored of fighting the same 5 NPCs over and over again
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    edited November 2013
    Not dead, but not packed either. I even tested by logging out and back in a few times. Never had a problem getting back on. 2000 online accounts isn't that high a number. For comparison, Eve Online currently has 20,000 online accounts right now.

why are you comparing to eve anyway?

this isnt eve mate. never was.

tau dewa sector block had about as many concurrences at the launch of LOR. amazingly the server isnt crashing like it did back on that day.

... also... not everyone was in the battlezone? thats 2000 accounts in one zone man. for all you or i know there were over 20000 game wide at the time. heck i wasnt adding up esd or the space adventure zone or the joint command or new rom or ds9 to that.
    Gold.jpg
    edited November 2013
    why are you comparing to eve anyway?

this isnt eve mate. never was.

Eve is the only MMO which I could find the current active player population for.
    ... also... not everyone was in the battlezone? thats 2000 accounts in one zone man. for all you or i know there were over 20000 game wide at the time. heck i wasnt adding up esd or the space adventure zone or the joint command or new rom or ds9 to that.

For all you or I know, there were under 10000 game wide. It's pointless to argue that without more data. The point still stands that the servers were far from being stretched to capacity. And the game didn't look or feel packed either.
    edited November 2013
    Eve is the only MMO which I could find the current active player population for.

For all you or I know, there were under 10000 game wide. It's pointless to argue that without more data. The point still stands that the servers were far from being stretched to capacity. And the game didn't look or feel packed either.

i dunno about you but for me it was like driving through a packed parking lot just getting to the gateway. there were so many ships parked outside of the zone i actually couldnt even see the gate itself.
    Gold.jpg
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or maaaaaaaybe...

They added more capacity to the servers, better hardware or whatever it takes to accomplish that.

I know, it seems too much work for those that think Cryptic can't do jack sh*t but hey...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's Not Broken That Means It Sucks!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's Not Broken That Means It Sucks!

I have to be absolutely miserable and frustrated at waiting in a login queue or experiencing multiple disconnects and SNRs or Season 8 is a failure and Cryptic is Hitler.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To me, it's a simple matter that once again Dan Stahl has gone his own contrived way on this and hasnt listed to the players at all.. Ok, I gotta admit that i got a kick out of thrashing a two story tall T-Rex the first time ( and I hate ground missions ) but outside o that, thi has got to be the most boring event I've ever seen.. When we took out the big colony ship that you have to beat up on, there were times when the ships sped up on their own and became nearly unflyable and the end escape blew up after only 20 seconds ( instead of fourty like it was supposed too), so no one escaped.. Frankly, I've seen less manure spread on an Iowa corn field..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i dunno about you but for me it was like driving through a packed parking lot just getting to the gateway. there were so many ships parked outside of the zone i actually couldnt even see the gate itself.

Lol. This was the one point that i felt i was at a disadvantage flying my scimitar.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can agree to the smooth server thing. There wasn't even any lag for me. How utterly in conflict with our finest and most longstanding internet traditions. :)

---
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I will say that if I were forced at gunpoint to pick a rep and a way to grind it, I would do Dyson Ground stuff and I would choose the Dyson rep system. I was just... so... over... the Borg... a long, long time ago and while the the other two rep grinds might not so difficult, they are just a pain. Both in terms of the micro transactions and the perceived reward vs time element.

The Dyson ground map needs to show where the invisible walls are and possibly have the 'roads' marked in a different color. I kinda know my way around now, but that's not the point.

Again on the ground, I was able to solo several of the capture points. Surely this means that the zone's general difficulty level needs to be given a second look?

To be extremely blunt, the Dinos suck. They suck big hairy ones. The Zomgzillarexes especially.Sorry Geko. You're wrong. The Voth are cool, but the actual Dinos just look so so so out of place. I don't care how many Spock's Brains you put in front of me. Pick a slightly more Star Trek feeling weird if you want mindbogglinglyuberfantastic. Or, and I know this is nuts..... how about just having a heavily entrenched bunch of elite voth troops instead? How about that?

Didn't really do much of the space zone stuff because it all started to feel like a 'look, look! We made a shiney! Do you like it?' tour of the artwork rather than any real mission. I am not holding my breath for a jawdroppingly interesting experience though. If I 'have to' grind something for a month's worth of gameplay, it needs to be able to hold my interest for a at least two. That's just common sense and has nothing to do with how long I have been playing or how casual a player I am.

Oh, and in the space zones, it feels like I am flying a fighter plane, not a Starship.... not cool.....

The new queue events are 'okay'. I guess. Stumbled through them getting the optionals along the way, often with little idea how or why in a team that had little to no idea what was going on though. While, while it may please the 'zomg stop being such a n00b!' crowd who 'don't have time to waste on fail teams', this does not fun and challenging gameplay make. That said, I will admit that once we got inside the Voth ship in the Breech, it was fun. I guess.

TL/DR: Mixed feelings. I had Fun, but it likely won't last the duration of the Voth Rep grind. I like the Voth in general. Space Zone bigness made me fall asleep. Ground is 'ok'. The Dinos were a really dumb addition.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2013
    Why is the server load light ?

Why are so few playing season 8 unlike the Hord that came for season 7 ?

Simple

Season 7 was Romulans.........Hard Canon star trek Romulans

The Voth are a Bit Race from Janewayverse whom Fans have no Tie too and they were a Bit part race

Vorta/Breen/Jem Hadar would have been like new romulas but even better in my opinion

Gorn
    Orions

Cryptic needs to deveop the races that are popular in star trek and not pick out ones like the Voth who no one cares about in the first place from a fan's view

For end game content take a page from Sim city and the Sims games Take a page from TOS Explore meet new races establish a colony Build the colony from the ground up each building.Staff it with duty officers Defend it from pirates

build a starbase where you build ships at Take a page from temporal ambassador where we see the enterprise C.....let players make a base like that to build the BO piloted ships that defend your colont in the ( whatever ) quadrent

In closing make end game content Right now there isnt any end game content at all

Just grinds for grinds sake nothing end game at all
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why?

<SNIP>
    <SNIP>

Probably because there's a BUNCH of us that can't even get in to the game...
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    edited November 2013
    Why is the Federation so TRIBBLE?

<SNIP>

How arrogant is the Federation to go to the other side of the galaxy to impose its will on another sovereign power while having such limited knowledge of what we're dealing with?

<SNIP>

About as Arrogant as 20th Century America, 19th Century England or 18th Century France? :P
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • mashaniemashanie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gogereaver wrote: »
    yea i played threw it today its defiantly no replacement for the old grind style. and why no marks for defending the towers that literately made me do it one time say hey no mark and never do it again expect for the daily mission. the ground mission has promise but the map is just badly made people tend to spread out but that aside you go to jump off a spot oh its a invisible wall plague this map to the point you literately get frustrated.

You get the marks for defending the whole contested area, all towers, not just one. Interestingly, on Tribble it went fairly nice, but when I was around (Euro evening right after server restart) the place didn't have enough ships in one zone to effectively defend all towers. When people will come, and I'm sure they will, you can basically just fly around the contested space and get marks every 10-15 minutes.

Also, I played the breach, and the Normal version rewarded 56 Dyson Marks. That's enough for a few hours of fast projects. If you want to take your time and do the 20 hour ones, there's a project in upgrades, that turns 350 Dyson marks into 5 commendations, setting you up for days of 2500 xp projects.
    edited November 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Why is the server load light ?

Why are so few playing season 8 unlike the Hord that came for season 7 ?

Simple

Season 7 was Romulans.........Hard Canon star trek Romulans

The Voth are a Bit Race from Janewayverse whom Fans have no Tie too and they were a Bit part race

<SNIP>

Actually one of the BIG reasons is that there are a LOT of us that simply can't get in to the game. There are at least 3 different (yet possibly related) issues that are preventing many from getting in at all... with, so far, no rhyme, reason or pattern to the issues... it's all "under investigation" <sigh>. I've never before had a problem logging in like this. Logged in fine the night before the patch. Since the patch... can't get past the character screen :(
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Didn't they add a bunch of new hardware when LoR came out?
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree with the notion that this new content comes out as sidetracking from what we could consider a focal point, the essence of things. Because it does indeed taste of heavy derivation.

Familiarity will always be king, in the land where you seek only one thing.

It must be said, not to be mean in spirit, but in order to point out what could be better. It does not mean that the provided content is bad, it only mean that it might not completely be what we seek for, in all things.

It looks very good otherwise, I am quite impressed. :)

---
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Perhaps it's because I am a lot older than most of you kids (49), but just the thrill of being inside a Dyson Sphere and taking in the awesome visualisation of what this place may actually look like was thrill enough for me.

So many younger people nowadays seem to have a very short appreciation span, I see it with my own kids, show them something new or give them a new toy and they are bored with it within minutes or at most a few hours and then want the next shiny. When I was a kid I had to wait for Christmas or birthdays to get that new toy experience. This meant that I had to use my imagination with the toys I had, it's a valuable life skill and allows you to appreciate the details that are all around you which so many younger people simply do not even see.

Season 8 has so many missions, so many tremendous artworks to take in, new areas for fleets, new weapons and systems to learn about, and a whole race of new (to STO) aliens to discover and conquer (at least at the moment, hoping for a relationship with them later) that a few hours is barely enough time to get more than just the flavour of it.

There are a huge amount of people whining on the forums, well nothing new there of course, but a large number of people, very creative people, have spent a lot of time building this entire adventure zone for us to explore and enjoy, it must be pretty demoralising for them to read the negative comments on this forum.

As an old dude I offer some advice, slow down, look around, try to visualise yourself actually here, explore and read everything before you even begin to fight. If you rush through it all in a few hours then all you have to look forward to is Season 9, which no doubt will generate plenty more whining threads.

I agree completely, being someone who isnt a teen or adolescent anymore, that you must appreciate things a little more.

I still have some of my old star trek and star wars ships. (and play with them making proper whooshing noises and all) but you need to appreciate the little things. This new content is just that new, it has some kinks (and some klinks) that need to be worked out. But its pretty nice.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • halfking88halfking88 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mashanie wrote: »
    You get the marks for defending the whole contested area, all towers, not just one. Interestingly, on Tribble it went fairly nice, but when I was around (Euro evening right after server restart) the place didn't have enough ships in one zone to effectively defend all towers. When people will come, and I'm sure they will, you can basically just fly around the contested space and get marks every 10-15 minutes.

Also, I played the breach, and the Normal version rewarded 56 Dyson Marks. That's enough for a few hours of fast projects. If you want to take your time and do the 20 hour ones, there's a project in upgrades, that turns 350 Dyson marks into 5 commendations, setting you up for days of 2500 xp projects.

It bodes ill if there weren't enough people in the contested zone on launch day for people to actually get the marks. I flew around there for a good three hours for a total of 8 marks.

Could also be a glitch with the game itself, however, as there were definitely a few times where we managed to hold all the towers for a little while.

Aside from the contested zone seemingly not working the way its supposed to, which is disappointing in and of itself, one of my biggest complaints is the ridiculously lame excuses for episodes that got included for Season 8. It's pretty sad that these were even called episodes, as they're just cinematics. After Sphere of Influence (which was fanstastic) I was really hoping for more high-caliber episodic content.