test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 is a failure.

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Something else I'd like to point out to everybody. Yes this game is probably losing players, but throw a rock at an online game and you'll see much of the same sentiments being expressed: no content, same old boring drag yadda yadda yadda.

The problem with the INDUSTRY, is that developers cannot keep up with the demand for more new things and fixing problems.

You think this game is bad, go try BSGO, though I know many people left BSGO for this game. Again it just isn't cryptic. It's the whole damn industry.

Seriously go check SWTOR, BSGO, WoT, Eve, WoW. I mean you name it, it's the same issues over and over again. Content, bug fixes, balance. Main 3 issues in ANY online game you see.

My prayer, is that when Star Citizen comes out and does HALF of what it is promising, it makes games like this go "OH TRIBBLE! We gotta do the same if we want to keep in competition."

Just wait guys, I think and pray Star Citizen is going to give the entire industry a swift kick in the tail and star forcing developers to take heed of their players and give us what we want.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All I see in season 8 is another tedious and annoying rep grind. None of the "adventure zone" content interests me, I just want to find the quickest and most effortless way to get my marks/commendation and be done with it.

The new fleet holding is nice for the shinies, but as far as season 8 is concerned, for me it is the worst one in a long while... perhaps ever?
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gmokmoud wrote: »
    Season 8 is more like Capture The Flag in the Battlefield or Call of Duty series than anything.

There's hardly any storyline in it at all...it's run over here and shoot something or fly over there and shoot something else, depending on where you're at. It's a First Person Shooter brought into STO. I guess that's what the masses wanted but STO's main attraction for me is a good storyline...this mess does nothing to capture my interest at all.

The Sphere of Influence mission or whatever the one with Worf is called has a better storyline than the entire Season 8 scenario does. I have no desire to get involved with Season 8 after just 2 days with it.

I'm already starting to play other games instead of spending time in STO.

I'm starting to think that everyone that was saying the new rep system was designed for new players were right. They just want transient players, to cycle out the old players and bring in new ones who would be more fascinated by what they put out. Get them hooked on the rep system, thinking they're gearing up for some upcoming challenging content. But the truth is Cryptic aren't interested in keeping your attention for the long-term. They want you to grind as much as you can be bothered with, get as much money as you're willing to part with and then leave once you realise all your effort was pointless. There will never be any real end game, only pointless grind.
  • arketipicosarketipicos Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I read all the comments in this thread, and honestly do not understand the complaints and moans . I think we should all put our feet on the ground and accept that this is a game better or worse according to every review , but ultimately it is a game , nothing more. Now we can kill dinosaurs too. The big question is what we look for in an online game ? Each one will give his answer , the fact is that star trek online have so many good options that we have complained to the minute news, instead of giving developers time .
    Personally I did not like the area , but I remember when I started playing I did not like the STFS , and now no one can deprive me of the pleasure of killing borgs .
    The game changes, we change , the world changes ... , let us try to be open minded to everything new , but not to our liking , is part of reality.
    Everything I say this as a player who paid LTS , paid the legacy of romulus , bought more than 100 keys and do not have a craft box.
    Thank you all for your time and the great company
    Picana - Shaolin - Deity Warrior
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rob2485 wrote: »
    I have an idea of why there are no login queues.

First, A lot of players are having issues even logging in.

Second, a couple of months back they merged all 3 NW servers into 1 server and then moved STO to a new infrastructure.

This means they most likely added more capacity in anticipation of the number of players logging in like they did not do back in May with LOR.

After the big pooch TRIBBLE with Legacy of Romulus they out did themselves with this one and made it so we can actually login, and play the game.

I personally could care less about end game content and the new adventure zone. I am perfectly fine running around on Defera Invasion Zone giving the Borg their Daily Beatdown.

After all My fleet is about to finish our Dilithium Mine and reap the reward of the 15% discount plus the feeling that we have actually accomplished something by finally finishing one of our fleet holdings.

I never touched Nukara rep have not spent a ton of time on Nukara to begin with and have no interest in the dyson sphere at this time. I am just happy to play a star trek game.

Star Trek Online currently is the only Trek game available and that in itself is a wonder of the universe because I have played many games in the past and this is the only one that I truely have fun playing.

That could be, I doubt it and there is no way for either of us to prove otherwise. However, one fact still stands... The new zones aren't filling up to more than 100 instances as it did in New Rom -- in fact its not even getting half as close as the highest I've seen so far (which I realize there could be instances were a higher number was witnessed) is 47.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • necroswornnecrosworn Banned Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    However, one fact still stands... The new zones aren't filling up to more than 100 instances as it did in New Rom .

Not to defend Cryptic here , but you have to admit they put a lot of effort into publicizing LoR .
    A LOT of PR effort .
    Heck , the S.8 commercial video they did ends with a LoR logo .

That kind of marketing + the fact that ppl thought that they were getting the Romulans form the show got a noticeable spike in the STO population , and it was a welcome spike .

S.8 OTOTH is what they could throw together between LoR , a FE , and the Winter Event .
    The art is nearly top notch , the gameplay is at times buggy (not to mention he players who can't even join) , there is that feeling of that this is VS what it could have been , and the usual question : is this really Trek ?
    In short , usual Cryptic stuff .

Plus we (or some of us) are still on a 'high' from the last FE and wish to see more of that instead .

I'm not willing to call this a failure because it was never designed to be a Major Event .
    LoR was designed to be a major event , as was S.7 .
    I can't even remember what S.6 . :P
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    season 6 was fleet base
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    season 6 was fleet base

I knew there was a reason my mind went completely blank ! :D
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why S8 is a failure?
    I called it a succes imo. Sure its not LoR succes, but alot of ppl forget that LoR was an expansion, much bigger then this, more money in PR etc. This is like S6 maybe, or even close towards S7.

Reason why its not overcroweded? There are still lots of ppl with problems that cant connect and its still not weekend. Alot of ppl cant really play but only on weekends... Give it a few more days, i bet there will be much more ppl during the weekend.

Also its a shame that alot of the players dont know what they actually want. I remember in S7 many voices cryed that New Romulus its a joke, with tagging epohs and running around to do small tasks and very little fighting. And now that we got this awesome ground battleground where there isnt anything but fighthing, ppl still complain :confused:
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This season exists in this manner because of us. A while back they did a poll about what show we wanted content from, we voted voyager. the undine and the borg were in the game allready as well as the hirogen.......they didnt have many bad guys left. The voth have the potential to be big bad guys. The devs will buff them up then people will be complaining that they are too hard.

Well, actually, a ton of OTHER people voted Voy, I voted TOS.
    And I'd rather enemies be a little too hard, because then, at least, if you manage to defeat them, by whatever means (equipment, good teamwork & coordination, blind luck, etc etc), you feel like you accomplished something. Too easy, and for me, at least it's, "That's all there is to killing them off?" Granted, blind overkill is just as no fun as waay too underkill, but you hopefully get my meaning. But this seems to be a problem with the game as a whole, not just this content. After all, there are only a handful of missions where you can even fail at all, at worst, it just takes you a little longer to complete that mission, if you bone it all up. And no real penalty to having your ship shot out from under you, some time in a cooldown state, and MAYBE an injury (damage type), on top of that, that's easy to repair, and takes about 8 seconds.....if that. ANd ground is just as bad, if not worse. Get all shot to hell? Respawn and come back, with absolutely no penalty (except again, maybe an injury that's an annoyance, not a real hindrance)

Be nice if more missions actually were written, so you had to do them, with some thought of HOW you're doing them. As in, ooops, you just blew up the wrong ship, mission over, and possible demotion. Get your ship shot out from under you? Well, it's going to take a week in drydock, and 10k EC to repair. Til then, you can always fly another ship, but the ship that got hammered is not available til next week. And the whole having multiple ships available, is also no where nears "Star Trek", at least traditional Starfleet/KDF/and I daresay, RR. That's why I look at my characters as AFFILIATED with the particular faction, with an "equivalency rank", rather than a true member of Starfleet (or whatever faction the character is in). After all, I happen to own the ship(s) I'm using, the faction is just nice enough to handle the staffing for me, and paying all those crews' salaries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • tygressstygresss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good work on graphics, nice job on the pre-season mission, but I have to agree not happy with season 8 and the sphere. Was expecting some good missions instead of timed min-missions and nothing but grinding rep for........ what endless ground combat:eek: Maybe the new season is for younger players who get bored easily or something I was hoping for more. The romulan expac was awesome this season well .............. I'm glad I have extra toons that need episode grinding to keep me busy.Add some more normal missions please them maybe I'll go to the sphere :rolleyes: thanks
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    This is the first expansion where

Season 8 isn't an expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Season 8 isn't an expansion.

Where are the bloody episodes that force us to rummage through hours of mindless button mashing story lines?
  • admiraljakhanisadmiraljakhanis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree, the new Fleet holding is just fluff for playing in the Dyson Sphere. Just more unnecessary fleet grinding. Where small fleets are further punished for being small, and forget KDF Fleets, since the PvE Queues are dead to earn Fleet Marks. (And consoles trivializing Purple MK12 Tactical Consoles, while causing more power creep).

Reputation, yeah its another boring grind and torment for people with multiple characters. (They lied about helping people, unless you want to wait 2 months to get a discount).

Space Adventure zone........absolute boredom. Just a ton of "rat ear" missions.

Ground Battle zone.......it was fun at first. But it's impossible to tell your zone what to do when there literally 100 other zones doing the same. So there is no coordination and you lose time having to go back and recapture.

And those Dyson Marks for "purchasing" Reinforcments..........what a waste.

So if people are still hyped about S8, wait til thanksgiving and see if they still have that same resolve.

Hopefully Season 9 will be no more Reputations, no More fleet Holdings and have content that's actually worth it, like real Exploration.

I agree with you "azurianstar" with the size of dyson sphere. If this was an actual dyson sphere then would not see the back side of the interior. Also one thing I noticed. In TV series Star Trek The next Generation Season 6 Episode 4 "Relic". The enterprise discovers the dyson sphere. Inside the dyson sphere interior there was an unstable sun. So where is the sun.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I actually enjoy havng to search for the story, its more....immersive? instead of everything being handed out on a silver platter. While the "story line" for this, is just basically a tutorial on the sphere and what you can do in it, at least it tosses you a bit of XP.

People seem to keep thinkin this is another expansion, but its just a few more things to do, its FREE added content, with the simplest least grindy rep tied to it.
    Well, searching for the backstory behind the who/why/how of the creation of the Dyson Sphere is a lot of fun, and definitely not something I expected Cryptic to give to us.

I was hoping for an explanation of the way the Voth war got started though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    Something else I'd like to point out to everybody. Yes this game is probably losing players, but throw a rock at an online game and you'll see much of the same sentiments being expressed: no content, same old boring drag yadda yadda yadda.

The problem with the INDUSTRY, is that developers cannot keep up with the demand for more new things and fixing problems.

You think this game is bad, go try BSGO, though I know many people left BSGO for this game. Again it just isn't cryptic. It's the whole damn industry.

Seriously go check SWTOR, BSGO, WoT, Eve, WoW. I mean you name it, it's the same issues over and over again. Content, bug fixes, balance. Main 3 issues in ANY online game you see.

My prayer, is that when Star Citizen comes out and does HALF of what it is promising, it makes games like this go "OH TRIBBLE! We gotta do the same if we want to keep in competition."

Just wait guys, I think and pray Star Citizen is going to give the entire industry a swift kick in the tail and star forcing developers to take heed of their players and give us what we want.
    The sad fact is that players will always demand more than what the devs CAN deliver. ALWAYS, and if you think Star Citizen will be any different, then I have a bridge on Galorndon Core to sell you....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree with you "azurianstar" with the size of dyson sphere. If this was an actual dyson sphere then would not see the back side of the interior. Also one thing I noticed. In TV series Star Trek The next Generation Season 6 Episode 4 "Relic". The enterprise discovers the dyson sphere. Inside the dyson sphere interior there was an unstable sun. So where is the sun.

Your not seeing the back of it, thats the bit your on curving upward

Have you not looked up? tryit, See that glowing orb that looks familiarly like a Sun? thats the mid point, the other side of the sphere is obscured by the internal atmosphere
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited November 2013
    Well, searching for the backstory behind the who/why/how of the creation of the Dyson Sphere is a lot of fun, and definitely not something I expected Cryptic to give to us.

I was hoping for an explanation of the way the Voth war got started though.

i'd imagine it was along the lines of, "Hello we are the Federation/KDF/Romulan Republic", followed by a response along the lines of " we're not interested, now go away "

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited November 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    i'd imagine it was along the lines of, "Hello we are the Federation/KDF/Romulan Republic", followed by a response along the lines of " we're not interested, now go away "
    More like:

Voth: "run for your lives or die!"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hicks451 wrote: »
    Well as most members have said everything my pennys worth is just a simple, FAIL!!!!! FAIL!!!! FAIL!!!!! Infact it's nothing but a rushed up peice of old TRIBBLE that had bits taken from every cheap TRIBBLE game that failed, Other franchises ( yea you all know what i mean) Man please the list can just go on and on. You should all be sacked at Cryptic and i really mean this and no wonder Paramount and the other bigwigs who run Star Trek won't let you touch anything that's really important with the Star Trek Universe because they just know you will TRIBBLE it all up. Infact i don't give this game another 2 years before it gets scrapped. It has been nothing but disapointment after disapointment and well to be quite frank it's BULL and defo not Star Trek in the slightest. Boys and girls at Cryptic you should be ashamed of yourselfs as you have become a laughing stock to the real Star Trek community that keeps this game alive!!! Go find a dark room and do one for such a sad sorry season with a sad sorry Voth. You have gone and killed the game with total nonsense!!! Morons!!!!! :eek: It's a game and i want dinosaurs with lazers on there heads!!! Man get a life!!! That will go down in history as one of the most dumbest things ever said and done with Star Trek i mean how the hell do you sleep at night PMSL Well i've had my rant but i still feel disapointed and it still doesnt change the fact that you killed season 8 and are defo killing STO with TRIBBLE!!!

{mysteriously waves his arm} You don't want to throw a tantrum... You want to go home and rethink your life.... ;)
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    More like:

Voth: "run for your lives or die!"

Well, from the "data logs" I've found in the Battlezone, the Voth seem really worried that "the mammals will figure out what we are doing with the Omega Particles" so "force is the only option".

I have not read anything that directly says "diplomacy failed", but the Voth are definitely channeling a Tholian "keel da mammalz!!!" vibe. I have no issue nuking them from orbit.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    redvenge wrote: »

I have not read anything that directly says "diplomacy failed", but the Voth are definitely channeling a Tholian "keel da mammalz!!!" vibe. I have no issue nuking them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The sad fact is that players will always demand more than what the devs CAN deliver. ALWAYS, and if you think Star Citizen will be any different, then I have a bridge on Galorndon Core to sell you....

All i demand is that they patch the servers to where people can get on.
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Your not seeing the back of it, thats the bit your on curving upward

Have you not looked up? tryit, See that glowing orb that looks familiarly like a Sun? thats the mid point, the other side of the sphere is obscured by the internal atmosphere

You might have a point, except that the curvature (appears to be) all wrong for a location of this immensity. You shouldn't be able to see it distinctly, any more than you can make out a Martian canal with the naked eye or see individual craters on the Moon without a powerful telescope.

I'm not knocking the artists... they have to represent it somehow and I'm sure it looks gorgeous (still waiting to play it). But in reality, you would most likely see the "horizon" blending in with the "sky" and not be able to make out anything like the continents we see in the screenshots. They'd be stretched out, hazy, and look like anything but an inside out globe.

That's the real reason it looks like it does... because if they had to represent what it would really look like to the naked eye, it would (probably) be utterly boring to look at.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    You might have a point, except that the curvature (appears to be) all wrong for a location of this immensity. You shouldn't be able to see it distinctly, any more than you can make out a Martian canal with the naked eye or see individual craters on the Moon without a powerful telescope.

I'm not knocking the artists... they have to represent it somehow and I'm sure it looks gorgeous (still waiting to play it). But in reality, you would most likely see the "horizon" blending in with the "sky" and not be able to make out anything like the continents we see in the screenshots. They'd be stretched out, hazy, and look like anything but an inside out globe.

That's the real reason it looks like it does... because if they had to represent what it would really look like to the naked eye, it would (probably) be utterly boring to look at.

indeed, i recall a dev forum post mentioning that they intentionally made it unrealistic to make it more visually interesting, though i can't for the life of me remember which dev said it when or where

• kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    indeed, i recall a dev forum post mentioning that they intentionally made it unrealistic to make it more visually interesting, though i can't for the life of me remember which dev said it when or where

If devs could work on getting people who cant get into the game into the game without crashing at loading screen i would be happy..
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After careful deliberation of this thread, I believe I have captured the essence of the communities feelings in the matter :)

It went from this to this, and I'm not sure but somewhere in the middle did this. :) To be sure I don't know what to make of all this. Total conundrum is what it is.
  • knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do not understand where all these people are going. "WoW has this problem, so does EvE etc"... The things that WoW does better then STO... Shall I list them.

1) Blizzard don't actually ignore their playerbase, they see them as active members of a community and NEEDED for the game to prosper. Cryptic see you as walking debit cards.

2) WoW does HUGE content EXPANSION PACKS. Yes, you need to pay for them but you get HUGE amounts of new content with the occasional dungeon thrown in the updates and bug fixes. Would people be as annoyed IF Cryptic had released Season 8, LoR and the Fleet Starbases as one big expansion pack? Like Cataclysm or Burning Crusade?

THEN they would have the gap while people are playing to do bug-fixes. LOOK at WoW's previous patches and you will find that ALL of the patch notes contain bug fixes or tweaks. Infact 80% of between Expansion Pack patches DO NOT contain new content except of the odd dungeon or raid boss.

Its not Cryptic that has destroyed STO and made it a mess. Its the greed associated with Free-2-Play... Free To Play is the problem and this is why subscriptions are the bigger and most successful titles in the industry.

This game made its grave a long long time ago...
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm writing it off as a failure mainly because I can barely play the bloody thing! Maybe its just me (I hope not) but the freezing and lag around the whole Dyson Sphere makes the whole area unplayable. Battlezone is just my character frozen solid.

I don't know, the whole thing seems badly thought out despite some interesting ideas.