test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 is a failure.

Comments

• adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do not understand where all these people are going. "WoW has this problem, so does EvE etc"... The things that WoW does better then STO... Shall I list them.

1) Blizzard don't actually ignore their playerbase, they see them as active members of a community and NEEDED for the game to prosper. Cryptic see you as walking debit cards.

2) WoW does HUGE content EXPANSION PACKS. Yes, you need to pay for them but you get HUGE amounts of new content with the occasional dungeon thrown in the updates and bug fixes. Would people be as annoyed IF Cryptic had released Season 8, LoR and the Fleet Starbases as one big expansion pack? Like Cataclysm or Burning Crusade?

THEN they would have the gap while people are playing to do bug-fixes. LOOK at WoW's previous patches and you will find that ALL of the patch notes contain bug fixes or tweaks. Infact 80% of between Expansion Pack patches DO NOT contain new content except of the odd dungeon or raid boss.

Its not Cryptic that has destroyed STO and made it a mess. Its the greed associated with Free-2-Play... Free To Play is the problem and this is why subscriptions are the bigger and most successful titles in the industry.

This game made its grave a long long time ago...

to paraphrase.....dooooooooom? But in all seriousness, theres only a minor relevance comparing other business models for games, What works there doesn't necessarily work here

on another note, subscription games, totalling hundreds of ?/$ over the years, I'm not sure you get value for money in all honesty,

Free to play, no money down, your getting massive value for your money, it may not be as good perhaps, but your getting something for nothing, which in my opinion, is not something to complain about
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    to paraphrase.....dooooooooom? But in all seriousness, theres only a minor relevance comparing other business models for games, What works there doesn't necessarily work here

on another note, subscription games, totalling hundreds of ?/$ over the years, I'm not sure you get value for money in all honesty,

Free to play, no money down, your getting massive value for your money, it may not be as good perhaps, but your getting something for nothing, which in my opinion, is not something to complain about

Yes, because this game is so brimming with new, exciting, thoughtful content and not just a salesroom for ships and items. /sarcasm.
  • newsinsnewsins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I do know so far, is as you get further in the rank you get more story. With each Rep rank gained there is a cut scene. Hopefully it goes somewhere.
  • ask4spock1ask4spock1 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm sorry to say this and a little sad as well.

I'm not impressed with this new season.

Cool? Yes

Impressive? No

No real story line to keep me interested.
  • ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Im beginning of getting sick and tired of logging in everyday to see the launcher updating, and finding more and more bugs. I'm trying to level up my Reman char, and all what happens is that I get stuck on level impasses, like now, I have gotten stuck on "Mine Enemy", as you open the hidden door in the mine, the objective does not progress.

Some will say that I should report this bug, but I'm reporting bugs DAILY. This really has to stop as it is really 'extracting the urine'.
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really want to love season 8 but I just can't it's just so boring. It's like a theme park episode with little story and boring rewards. I was at least expecting the fleet carriers to get a few model changes but other than a new skin it seems to be nothing more than a grind for a stat boost.

Just think of it as Star Wars Land.

:(

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kimony wrote: »
    Just think of it as Star Wars Land.

:(

Be realistic...just call it Star Trek Does Jurassic Park? and get it over with.

Hope all you clowns who voted "OMG yes liek moar Voyager lol" are happy now. :P
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013

by the looks of it no matter what you voted would have not happen for the voth :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have not been able to get on since season 8 because the game keeps crashing. Season 8 is a waste.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013

This. /10chars
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Votes were after the Voth were announced...but sorry i forget that ruins rants sorry ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The Votes were after the Voth were announced...but sorry i forget that ruins rants sorry ;)

really i thought they came after?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a player on all factions one thing comes to mind:

NO MORE GRINDING!

How do they expect smaller fleets to even catch up? Ohh wait, S8 was to open something more for those fleets done in the T5 progression.

I am not entirely happy with S8, but it's there. Now can we concentrate on:

1. Fixing Bugs across the board for all factions.
    2. Give Klink some love.
    3. Provide some type of assistance for progression for smaller fleets.

Then start polling for what is next instead of adding to items that are broken.

I say these ultimately, because it's tiresome and getting completely worn out.
    edited November 2013
    abfabfleet wrote: »
    How do they expect smaller fleets to even catch up?

this could just be me thinking this but PWE/cryptic dont care about small 5/10/15 man fleets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a player on all factions one thing comes to mind:

NO MORE GRINDING!

How do they expect smaller fleets to even catch up? Ohh wait, S8 was to open something more for those fleets done in the T5 progression.

I am not entirely happy with S8, but it's there. Now can we concentrate on:

2. Give Klink some love.
    Then start polling for what is next instead of adding to items that are broken.

I say these ultimately, because it's tiresome and getting completely worn out.

For the above bolded statement you could always recruit more people into your small fleet, and use the restrictions to restrict people from stealing from the bankd and using fleet stores, jacking all your stuff and leaving..... my fleet isnt large maybe 50 people + alts, we are almost T5 in our Starbase, T3 in both the embassy and mine, and already T1 in the spire. But we have rather dedicated players.

Or do you have a tiny fleet? like 10-15 people, more a convoy or a flotilla......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    this could just be me thinking this but PWE/cryptic dont care about small 5/10/15 man fleets

Who cares about people wanting to be in small fleet of friends and family. How dare they! STO is full of Large Fleet content that keeps them busy for days on end! :rolleyes:

(For those who don't get it, it's called sarcasm. ;) )
  • undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Be realistic...just call it Star Trek Does Jurassic Park? and get it over with.

I am happy! I like this Season, so yeah :D
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now can we concentrate on:

2. Give Klink some love.

The previous 7 seasons and one expansion pack should have already taught you that they don't prioritize bug fixes, the KDF faction or smaller fleets very highly on any "to do" list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    :mad:
    Why is the Federation so TRIBBLE?

What happened to the diplomatic option? Have any peace delegations tried to open up talks with the Voth and say "please stop harvesting the particle that could ruin everything"? But no. The Federation is all about "Shoot first, don't even bother asking questions". Because the guys making the decisions at Cryptic know that "kill everything" is what sells, except that Trek is about the opposite of "kill everything".

How arrogant is the Federation to go to the other side of the galaxy to impose its will on another sovereign power while having such limited knowledge of what we're dealing with? Maybe the Voth have millions of years of experience with harvesting and using Omega particles? They can build ships the size of small moons. They take centuries to perfect technology before using it. They don't take crazy risks. So maybe they know what the hell they're doing.

Maybe we should ask them! They might be harvesting Omega to fight the Iconians. Maybe if Cryptic thought of creating gameplay other than "fly around and shoot the big dumb object and get a reward", this would feel like Star Trek and not "Generic space action MMO: now with space T-Rexes!".

I totally agree with this and everything the OP said, STO is getting way beyond everything Star Trek stands for and I can not for the life of me see how CBS can not see how PWE/Cryptic is completely abolishing the Prime Directive and replacing it with the Dictatorship Directive....Are we part of the Mirror Universe now did we cross over in the Sphere of Influence Mission and somehow not even realize we have become what we were fighting against?

Time to find a new game to play I think, cause this one is screwed.:mad:
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I'm writing it off as a failure mainly because I can barely play the bloody thing! Maybe its just me (I hope not) but the freezing and lag around the whole Dyson Sphere makes the whole area unplayable. Battlezone is just my character frozen solid.

I don't know, the whole thing seems badly thought out despite some interesting ideas.

The rubberbanding has made the new zone unplayable for me.
    edited November 2013
    The rubberbanding has made the new zone unplayable for me.

man that bug takes me back to open beta :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Are we part of the Mirror Universe now did we cross over... and somehow not even realize we have become what we were fighting against?

I remember people, including myself, asking this question 3 years ago. STO has never felt like Star Trek, with a few exceptions. Nearly 95% of my Star Trek-related feelings when playing this game comes from Foundry missions.

In fact, one of my joys in playing the recent Foundry FE was that it, in part, attempted to answer why everything is so non-Trek in STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I remember people, including myself, asking this question 3 years ago. STO has never felt like Star Trek, with a few exceptions. Nearly 95% of my Star Trek-related feelings when playing this game comes from Foundry missions.

In fact, one of my joys in playing the recent Foundry FE was that it, in part, attempted to answer why everything is so non-Trek in STO.

Cool I think I will start playing foundry missions as well because it is so obvious that Cryptic and CBS have completely re-written the Prime Directive to included....

"If it does not make money, it can't be in Star Trek and the only part about "boldly go where no one has gone before" that they take to heart is that boldly means shoot first and never ask any questions....unless there is someone cowering in the rubble left from the battle.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    :mad:

I totally agree with this and everything the OP said, STO is getting way beyond everything Star Trek stands for and I can not for the life of me see how CBS can not see how PWE/Cryptic is completely abolishing the Prime Directive and replacing it with the Dictatorship Directive....Are we part of the Mirror Universe now did we cross over in the Sphere of Influence Mission and somehow not even realize we have become what we were fighting against?

Time to find a new game to play I think, cause this one is screwed.:mad:

kirksplat wrote: »

Oh boy, more of this self-righteous "this isn't Trek" TRIBBLE.

Think on the following:

Ask the common Joe on the streets what he thinks about when someone says Star Trek and most will give some type of answer containing "James Kirk." And what is Kirk known for? Punching out people, TRIBBLE random women, and firing his ship's phasers. It seems that 7out of 10 TOS episodes contain random acts of violence. Hell, even Gene himself pitched Star Trek as a Western in space to NBC and Desilu execs. Sure, Trek had its moments (in fact, I believe a flaw with Trek is the constant shoving of unrealistic optimism in the viewers face) but the more action oriented TOS episodes, TMP era, the Dominion War etc are part of Trek, so try to get over your fear of anything action oriented.

More importantly, this is a MMO. Diplomacy in space just isn't going to work In an MMO. Stop being delusional in thinking anyone really want to play "Paris Conference: Space Edition." People want to fly around in exotic ships with their motley crew and blow TRIBBLE up. You want "peace and love" you might want to check out such games as Star Trek Judgement Rights, 25th Anniversary, Final Unity etc.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh boy, more of this self-righteous "this isn't Trek" TRIBBLE.

Think on the following:

Ask the common Joe on the streets what he thinks about when someone says Star Trek and most will give some type of answer containing "James Kirk." And what is Kirk known for? Punching out people, TRIBBLE random women, and firing his ship's phasers. It seems that 7out of 10 TOS episodes contain random acts of violence. Hell, even Gene himself pitched Star Trek as a Western in space to NBC and Desilu execs. Sure, Trek had its moments (in fact, I believe a flaw with Trek is the constant shoving of unrealistic optimism in the viewers face) but the more action oriented TOS episodes, TMP era, the Dominion War etc are part of Trek, so try to get over your fear of anything action oriented.

More importantly, this is a MMO. Diplomacy in space just isn't going to work In an MMO. Stop being delusional in thinking anyone really want to play "Paris Conference: Space Edition." People want to fly around in exotic ships with their motley crew and blow TRIBBLE up. You want "peace and love" you might want to check out such games as Star Trek Judgement Rights, 25th Anniversary, Final Unity etc.

Indeed! Here's to Jim Kirk!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O8VgoUTgYyo/UGJvvYlmYiI/AAAAAAAADcY/j1mdjeoeIl0/s1600/103-captain-james-t-kirk-im-sorry-i-cant-hear-you-over-the-sound-of-how-awesome-i-am.jpg

Honestly, an MMO just isn't the right medium for sitting at a conference table and talking.
  • ensigndamarion16ensigndamarion16 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    Actually one of the BIG reasons is that there are a LOT of us that simply can't get in to the game. There are at least 3 different (yet possibly related) issues that are preventing many from getting in at all... with, so far, no rhyme, reason or pattern to the issues... it's all "under investigation" <sigh>. I've never before had a problem logging in like this. Logged in fine the night before the patch. Since the patch... can't get past the character screen :(

I hear you. Ever since the launch, I haven't been able to even get to the log-in screen. this is what it would give me everytime:There was an error loading the login page. Please restart the launcher and try again..
    Really annoying when I have to check on my fleet. I tried everything it told me to. Hopefully it is functional tomorrow after school
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The previous 7 seasons and one expansion pack should have already taught you that they don't prioritize bug fixes, the KDF faction or smaller fleets very highly on any "to do" list.

And that neglect is really starting to show and getting on the nerve of the playerbase. Other MMOs have expansions that keep you busy for like 6 months with various things that keep you thrilled. STO's expansions are just grindfests that really go nowhere.

Meanwhile the other things they brag about like PvP, the Klingons, and the Foundry, are just neglected hobos on the side of the road with the sign "unemployed, due to cutbacks".

Really, I had high hopes for STO that I honestly can still think big. But not sure if its PW or if its Cryptic, but somewhere there is bad leadership that doesn't want to think big and just "give them kibble, they will be happy".

That's why I think LoR is as good as STO is going to get. It's all downhill from here. Unless Stahl buckles down and starts delivering content that has long-term appeal, that isn't grinding.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I won't say S8 is terrible. I won't say I'm impressed or excited by it either.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]