test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Flying SPACE Sharks with flippen lasers on their heads that attack and eat your ship. :eek:

That's a lot more awesome than a stupid space amoeba.
    But what if the Space Amoeba is the Carrier, and launches the sharks as combat pets?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Gecko does not run the forums that's what Brandon and the mods do...also we don't need 15 different threads on the same subject hech it was merged not deleted.

Whodunnit doesn't matter. The thread was made in difference to protest their premature vision of the voth and diluted under a pro-dino laser headed thread. That's muffling.
    May good management be with you.
  • undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Neither really. I'm not a staunch believer in canon per se. It's just that we only have 1 example of the voth and everything they're doing is completely opposite of that example. The valuable premise of that interaction is that even though they evolve from dino's and seperated over time and space they were more human than first expected.

Even when they have Chakotay detained there is no weapon, no mech armor being used to force them into a court of their sense of justice. Albeit bigoted in ideology they were non violent and the punishment they issue the voyager crew was a mere sentence of isolating them to a work camp. The farthest from a xenophobe race.

The voth could have been an awesome addition if their non violent tech was used within game. Like their incredible transwarp ability. They went from discovering a human carcass way back in the beginning episodes to catching up with the vessel itself after it had traveled so far already. It'd be nice to own a voth ship (a twist from canon and an obvious choice for lock boxing) and enter a transwarp state that may have taken some time to reach a destination but you'd have access to any system/sector you wanted to travel to.

As much as it would have been nice to see the countermeasure and decompiler skills getting some love from the technology they exhibited in that voyager episode. Plenty of room to expand upon.

It does look cool, yes. Secretly I think we all enjoy seeing dinos brought back to life somehow but they could have done it with class.

Instead they turned them into world of war craft style warrior-race with mech warrior suits and dinosaurs with lasers on their head. To me, that's the same as turning the entire voyager series into a mention that it was actually a war ship sent to the delta quadrant to plunder that sector.
    I think the reason these Voth aren't acting like the ones we saw in the series is that, when that one Voth scientist brought the Distant Theory, some young Voth might've revolted or something. We don't KNOW what happened to the Voth after the discovery the Voth scientist made, what happened to the people when they learned of this. I bet there was a schism between the people: those who stubbornly adhere to the Doctrine and those who embraced the Distant Theory.

The possibilities are THERE, just because we didn't SEE them in the show doesn't mean we can't feel them in game.
    edited October 2013
    I think the reason these Voth aren't acting like the ones we saw in the series is that, when that one Voth scientist brought the Distant Theory, some young Voth might've revolted or something. We don't KNOW what happened to the Voth after the discovery the Voth scientist made, what happened to the people when they learned of this. I bet there was a schism between the people: those who stubbornly adhere to the Doctrine and those who embraced the Distant Theory.

The possibilities are THERE, just because we didn't SEE them in the show doesn't mean we can't feel them in game.

Your point is valid. It was also addressed and you may have known that if the protest thread wasn't muffled. The episode however does set a standard that this is how all voth behave as seen with their reasonable discourse in action, mention of doctrine, lack of extreme violence, lack of xenophobia.

If the devs had any decency beyond perverting the only example and muffling our voices they'd add that backstory. Keep your fingers crossed, that's bout all you can do since feedback apparently doesn't work.
    edited October 2013
    Your point is valid. It was also addressed and you may have known that if the protest thread wasn't muffled. The episode however does set a standard that this is how all voth behave as seen with their reasonable discourse in action, mention of doctrine, lack of extreme violence, lack of xenophobia.

If the devs had any decency beyond perverting the only example and muffling our voices they'd add that backstory. Keep your fingers crossed, that's bout all you can do since feedback apparently doesn't work.
    Like I said in the other thread.... I think you're holding the Voth to too high of a standard. They were seen in Voyager to NOT be above murder, torture, and deception to protect their interests. So it makes perfect sense to them to also be willing to use direct military action when a situation presents itself.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    Like I said in the other thread.... I think you're holding the Voth to too high of a standard. They were seen in Voyager to NOT be above murder, torture, and deception to protect their interests. So it makes perfect sense to them to also be willing to use direct military action when a situation presents itself.

Oh really? Here's your challenge. Provide a link that shows they want to murder the crew. Go ahead because you can't do it.
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ".... Change is difficult. New ideas are often greeted with scepticism and even fear. But sometimes those ideas are accepted, and when they are, progress is made ~ Chakotay, Distant Origin"

Ironic how the episode where this all comes from plays a part in this discussion, no? Give the dinos a shot, as well as the story the writers have cooked up. It may not be as bad as many of you fear.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

edited October 2013
    oracion666 wrote: »
    ".... Change is difficult. New ideas are often greeted with scepticism and even fear. But sometimes those ideas are accepted, and when they are, progress is made ~ Chakotay, Distant Origin"

Ironic how the episode where this all comes from plays a part in this discussion, no? Give the dinos a shot, as well as the story the writers have cooked up. It may not be as bad as many of you fear.

If you've read any of my posts you'd see I am more than willing to accept the warrior thing but the mech warrior and dinosaucer thing is a jagged pill to swallow. It's inappropriate.
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The mechs, I can agree with. I don't recall anybody in Trek using mechs in combat, but then again, I don't see why not. As for the dinos, it just requires a different view point. For instance mankind has used its own animals for war. Dogs, elephants, horses, dolphins, etc etc. We use what we have. The Voth just have more terrifying creatures at their disposal.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• quazar1492quazar1492 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Mecha aren't in star trek purely because of budgetary concerns, they really don't go against anything ST stands for.

The dinorider stuff is just for fun as they said in the dev blog. Star Trek is not exactly hard science fiction. It's full of zany and crazy things that were added because they are fun or interesting or simply because the writers ran out of ideas.

I always saw ST like Doctor Who, when they did something completely crazy that I just couldn't accept, I simply shrugged my shoulders and waited for the next episode.
  • katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "I pity the fools who stand against us!" Mr T-Rex :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    They imprison their own people in detention colonies for disputing their religious beliefs.

We cannot ignore the fact that they force undesirable members of their society into isolation, and they have more than one of them.

Those are not signs of a lovey-dovey tree hugging we are the world enlightened peaceful society.

And since it's established canon that a significant percentage of the Voth species are dissidents to the ones Voyager encountered it is perfectly reasonable that they don't behave as you would like to imagine.

You're using your imagination. The voth in that episode spoke with authority for all the voth. Nobody said they were peaceful either just non violent and nothing you say or anything you stretch will counter that point because we only have one episode to work with, all of which are not the blood thirsty species you've been talking about. Get a grip.
    edited October 2013
    quazar1492 wrote: »
    Mecha aren't in star trek purely because of budgetary concerns, they really don't go against anything ST stands for.

The dinorider stuff is just for fun as they said in the dev blog. Star Trek is not exactly hard science fiction. It's full of zany and crazy things that were added because they are fun or interesting or simply because the writers ran out of ideas.

I always saw ST like Doctor Who, when they did something completely crazy that I just couldn't accept, I simply shrugged my shoulders and waited for the next episode.

I love Dr Who. Very campy and fun but that's what they ran off of for years. Being campy and fun. ST however was much more uniformed in its portrayals and only divulged into campy when writers wanted to break from status quo. And that's where we get Q from.
    edited October 2013
    You're using your imagination. The voth in that episode spoke with authority for all the voth. Nobody said they were peaceful either just non violent and nothing you say or anything you stretch will counter that point because we only have one episode to work with, all of which are not the blood thirsty species you've been talking about. Get a grip.
    "Non-violent"? a non-violent race doesn't torture and imprison it's own citizens for voicing dissent.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    "Non-violent"? a non-violent race doesn't torture and imprison it's own citizens for voicing dissent.

You keep saying that, yet you can't prove it because it never happened in the episode. As soon as the voth ministry got what they wanted they let the crew go and reassigned a scientist. Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.
    edited October 2013
    You're the one that needs to get a grip. Do you honestly think sentient beings voluntarily and peacefully allow themselves to be relocated and kept for the rest of their lives in detention "colonies" because they were told to go in a peaceful fashion?

Places like that are enforced with the threat and application of violence.

And there is nothing more bloodthirsty than religious fanatics.

I like your imagination. I'm sure it'll come in handy some day.
    edited October 2013
    You keep saying that, yet you can't prove it because it never happened in the episode. As soon as the voth ministry got what they wanted they let the crew go and reassigned a scientist. Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.
    Really? Did you miss the part in the episode where they talk about what happens to anyone who goes against doctrine? Did you pay attention to the description of the Voth authorities who "persuaded" Tova Veer to recant Distant Origin?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    Really? Did you miss the part in the episode where they talk about what happens to anyone who goes against doctrine? Did you pay attention to the description of the Voth authorities who "persuaded" Tova Veer to recant Distant Origin?

Wow.. Even your own source which is fan-written doesn't even say the assistant was tortured just threatened and he was. He was threatened with a lesser social status.

Seriously just go watch the episode. It's on Netflix and easily viewed. Stop being lazy and imaginative.

However, if you've read any of my posts with any thoughtfulness you'll know exactly where we're coming from but that would require you to be thoughtful as well. So far I'm just not seeing you being reasonable in the slightest.
    edited October 2013
    I guess that means those camps in WWII never happened nor all that recent stuff over religion in the middle east, nor any of the other violent and oppressive things that happened throughout history whenever people disagreed about ideology. :rolleyes:

But please don't stop protesting on my account, you only make your arguments look more and more foolish, and watching someone undermine his own position is always amusing. :D

You're a fool. You're citing religious fanaticism where there was none in the episode. Where you may think you have teeth, I only see your 10 toes with both feet in your mouth. Try being reasonable for a change.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What a.. childish thing to say.

Actually the childish part is only quoting part of posts and then blatantly ignoring the rest of them, and refusing to answer peacefully and well presented commentary. For example, I asked you to put the point where I stopped treating you like an adult. You ignored that completely, instead deciding to focus on the part that was there for comic relief (since if you think about it, it's ridiculous to expect ANYTHING on the internet. It's one of those "expect the unexpected because if you expect that which is expected you will either be insulted or disappointed.").

And I also asked you to please tell me what was wrong with this little... creative licensing that the devs have taken, and even compared them to things already in game that are just as much an example of violations of canon (IE the Breen and Deferi, the Tholians (since in ToS and other canon sources, the Tholians are recluses, like their carriers, and do not seek open conflict, whereas in game they are constantly attacking you, harassing you, interfering in general), the KDF becoming allies with the Gorn (who pretty much hate everyone), the Orions (basically green ferengi, they don't do open warfare), the Nausicans (um... mercs... they wouldn't join in all out war), and many others (see my other posts for reference)) and yet you chose to ignore my logical reasoning, instead commenting that I "treated you like a child" and refused to "give you the respect and adult treatment you deserve".

And then after reading all your other posts in this thread, I have determined that if anyone is acting like a child, it is you. You call others fools who don't agree with you, refusing to even bother looking at any point of view other than your own. You ask for source citing, and when it's provided you say that just because it wasn't on screen it can't be confirmed.

Well here's a quick reversal of roles then: The Voth were only on screen for one episode. And roughly half of that episode (if not more) was spent listening to random screen-writing and boring conversation on Voyager. The only time the Voth actually make an appearance is for a few minute intervals throughout the episode, and the last 1/4 of the episode. So for all you know, what the devs have envisioned could actually be what the Voth have and use for war.

As was stated, there are only 2 Voth ships ever seen. Their massive city ship and that little science ship. For all we know, they could have warships exactly like what the devs made up. You don't see anything other than a few scientists and aristocrats. Their soldiers and combat technology could be exactly like what the devs envisioned. They could use combat armor, bio-engineered dinosaurs, and even combat mechs.

That's why this is perfectly fine as canon goes, because you know almost NOTHING about the Voth from canon. It leaves so much open to the imagination and to be created. And yet you refuse to accept it, with a barely coherent argument of "it not being in the spirit of Star Trek" as your only thing to fall back on. I feel I must point out that the "spirit of Star Trek" was to "explore strange new worlds, and seek out new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before". That's exactly what the devs are doing here. They are taking a strange new species, and their new civilization that was barely developed, and boldly going where no one has gone before and actually turning it into something more than just a guest appearance in one episode of one series. And yet you're resisting this despite it being completely in the spirit and style of Star Trek. I don't really understand why. And yet you call me childish and others fools?
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited October 2013
    Wow.. Even your own source which is fan-written doesn't even say the assistant was tortured just threatened and he was. He was threatened with a lesser social status.

Seriously just go watch the episode. It's on Netflix and easily viewed. Stop being lazy and imaginative.

However, if you've read any of my posts with any thoughtfulness you'll know exactly where we're coming from but that would require you to be thoughtful as well. So far I'm just not seeing you being reasonable in the slightest.
    I never said the wiki was my source. Go rewatch the episode and pay more attention to the part where the Voth mention "inquisitorial surgeons".

My point is that the Voth government in the Ep was NOT composed of enlightened individuals. Describing them as peaceful is, at best, stretching the truth.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    And let's not forget at time 29:25 the Voth government bluntly gives their wayward scientist the ultimatum that if he doesn't return immediately to face the charges made against him they will destroy the Voyager and kill the crew.

Just the thing you'd expect from an enlightened and peace loving people. :rolleyes:

Dunno why you guys are still trying. The guy knows he's right, don't bother him with facts and reason.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I guess some still don't get the Euphemisms...

"Imprisonment" in such a society usually means "Eat the Bugs, you won't get anything else!" -> Indirect Death Sentence...

"Lesser Social Status", getting stripped of anything... reduced to a Non-Entity... "Friends" cannot do anything unless they want to be seen as collaborating with the lessers, which in turn lessens their social status... So you can't find work, need to beg... live long enough to suffer and keep suffering until one day you simply die in an alley and no one will give a sh*t.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
    edited October 2013
    You could say he's Vothlike in his adherence to his Doctrine. :rolleyes:

Even funnier, now that he's realized that everyone isn't agreeing with him and there are posters who are actually in agreement with each other against him... he's stopped posting. HERP. A. DERP!!!! :P
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wow in just about a month this thread is just about cought caught up to the DOOM thread :D now back to your regularly scheduled dinosaurs with frickin lasers on there heads :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My hope since we know little bout the voth is that theres different classes of voth evolved from different dino species.

Like soldiers evolved from t-rex large muscular bipedal not to smart but have evolved to be strong powerfull soldiers

Raptor voth who ave evolved to be like the scientists of the voth since we all know the velociraptor was intelligent.

well you get the idea i hop cryptic expands on the voth adds a few subspecies in them make them a bit more diverse then evolved from herbavores HEY LOOK we haz dion with laser on heads.
  • kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, if there are subspecies, they all seem to be hadrosaur descendants from what's been shown so far. Different crests, even spines on crests, but the same basic build and cranial structure.

If you'll recall, they also have paralytic quills they can launch from their forearms. Not exactly something any known dinosaur species is thought to have possessed. So clearly, a little more than 'this dinosaur became humanoid and got better brains' has happened over the course of their evolution.

As for the bio-engineered dinosaurs themselves... if I had the option of putting guns on a jackal mastiff, targ, saur, or sehlat, I so would. I wouldn't mount them on the head, since the torso is a much more stable platform (can you say 'dinosaur howdah' kids? I knew you could), especially on a quadruped and offers a more even weight distribution, thus enabling larger, more powerful cannons to be mounted. Would make the saur used by random Gorn NPCs more threatening if they had disruptor cannons mounted on both sides, or even just a big one on their backs.
    edited October 2013
    the Voth I've seen do seem to have considerable variation. Some are far larger and more powerful than others.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    So of all the things that the copyright holders say, "Ok," to, they approve dinosaurs with head lasers?

Here's my logic on why this is an absurd design decision:

The first thing that comes to my mind is evolution. The Voth have evolved to become humanoid, why would they weaponize their less evolved cousins? The equivalent would be for the Federation to make cyborg chimps and gorillas for their soldiers. This is obviously absurd and unnecessary given the state of human evolution in Star Trek. I feel the same for the Voth.

Secondly, why would arming a T-Rex with a laser be any more effective than say, just using a laser? The T-Rex is not even capable of the intelligence required to use said laser with any sort of tactic. Hell, it can't even see!

Lastly, I feel like this is an extremely uncreative and poorly thought out addition to the Voth because the Voth hold strictly to their belief in superiority through Evolution. They believe that they are the first species to become highly evolved in the Delta quadrant. When the crew of Voyager deciphered that the Voth shared ancestry with species from Earth, it nearly caused a civil war in the Voth society. In order to prevent a collapse of order, the information discovered by the Voyager crew was hidden and disavowed.

Why the hell, then, would the Voth necro up some ACTUAL species that existed on Earth? Their skeletal structures would be clearly recognizable and provide inalienable proof that the Voth shared ancestry with species from Earth, not the Delta quadrant.

Am I missing something here or is this just a really lousy design choice, given my opinion?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok...

1: Where have you been hiding for the past 2 months...? This is old news.

2: Read the dev blogs... It actually makes sense if you do.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas