test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I had no trouble logging onto Tribble, I just couldn't find the Voth missions. Is there a location you have to go to to get them?

The proper ways to access it isn't hooked up, but if you go to ESD, outside the admiral's office is a Voth Defector. If you're level 50, just walk up and interact and you'll be warped to the battle zone.

Since it's a temporary hack and not how we'll actually access it, stuff like chosing your boffs doesn't work, and there's no dialog.
    edited October 2013
    To be clear, I neither love nor hate this idea as I haven't gone and tested the gameplay of it. I am simply pointing out a lack of parity between the Voth doctrine and so clearly creating a link between themselves and their ancestry in the Alpha quadrant while then using that creation, which is a link, on the very species of the Alpha quadrant that made the connection in the first place.

There's no link. These dinosaurs might loosely match earth bound species, but they don't have the same names humans give them. They are not dinosaurs from earth, they are most likely domestic or at least captive versions the Voth took with them when they left, whose origins would be just as lost to them as their own.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To be clear, I neither love nor hate this idea as I haven't gone and tested the gameplay of it. I am simply pointing out a lack of parity between the Voth doctrine and so clearly creating a link between themselves and their ancestry in the Alpha quadrant while then using that creation, which is a link, on the very species of the Alpha quadrant that made the connection in the first place.
    As I attempted to indicate with my Preserver/Ancient Humanoid reference, the source material is so vague that it's easy for Cryptic to do whatever it wants with the material. While CBS is a lot more touchy on what they'll allow Cryptic to do to with Klingons, Cardassians, Borg, etc the one-shot species seen in various episodes are open to interpretation. Since STO is not canon, and since CBS doesn't really care about the Voth, allowing Cryptic to take a more liberal approach isn't a big deal. Since nothing is really known about the Voth, only speculated, Cryptic can decide how they want them to work in their version of Trek - as long as CBS agrees; which they did.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Freedumb i get what your saying most of us do, unfortunately this is gonna be in game you just have to except it an go with it. I for one have fought against the dino's an its kinda fun.
    edited October 2013
    Riiiight, cuz a species that developed and left the Earth 65 million years before humans is going to use the same terminology and language a bunch of hairless monkeys developed 500 years previously in the Star Trek timeline. :rolleyes:
    We don't mess with the logic of the Universal Translator. All of Trek would crumble if we started doing that. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Riiiight, cuz a species that developed and left the Earth 65 million years before humans is going to use the same terminology and language a bunch of hairless monkeys developed 500 years previously in the Star Trek timeline. :rolleyes:

hold now that thinking out side the box we can have that here!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Where is it actually? I logged onto tribble out of mild curiosity and couldn't find the mission.

A Voth representitive outside Quinn.s office at ESD. Haven.t done it with my KDF tester yet, so I can only assume it's in the Council Chamber for KDF.
    edited October 2013

No reason to believe this is the case either. This is no differnt than all the Keldorian Eagles and Bajoran Emus and Cardassian Voles that are referenced - why would any of them use the same names for things? They don't, except without direct translations most species attach the closest analog from their language, and specify its point of origin to differentiate it.

There's one episode that took the time to explore this, when Odo was chasing what was obviously just an Emu around the promenade. He called it by its proper alien name, a Gungi-Jackdaw. Every time he talked about the Gungi-Jackdaw it was a tangible break in dialog as he wrapped his mouth around unfamiliar word.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    Freedumb i get what your saying most of us do, unfortunately this is gonna be in game you just have to except it an go with it. I for one have fought against the dino's an its kinda fun.

I do -accept- it, -except- I would like to discuss it openly in the community.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay here's the crux of the problem.

FROM the Ep. we get that the Voth have been taught by their leadership that they came from the delta quadrant. Any exploration they do is done in secrest. that developed personal cloaking devices so they can observe other's without being known. As such it is far to say that they are slightly xenophobic and while curious about things they will do their upmost to avoid contact. The hostile moves we saw was out of fear. the leadership felt that if the truth of their origins is revealed their authority would be challenged. Thus from that, making them warlike go against what has been seen it is also contradicts the stance on the leadership. For imagine if some voth or the dino with freaking lasers gets captured and look they're Voth the fed can just broadcast the truth and the record of Voyager the the leadership loses power. Causing exactly what they tried to avoid.

People face it. THIS IS A BAD IDEA.
    edited October 2013

FROM the Ep. we get that the Voth have been taught by their leadership that they came from the delta quadrant. Any exploration they do is done in secrest. that developed personal cloaking devices so they can observe other's without being known. As such it is far to say that they are slightly xenophobic and while curious about things they will do their upmost to avoid contact. The hostile moves we saw was out of fear. the leadership felt that if the truth of their origins is revealed their authority would be challenged. Thus from that, making them warlike go against what has been seen it is also contradicts the stance on the leadership. For imagine if some voth or the dino with freaking lasers gets captured and look they're Voth the fed can just broadcast the truth and the record of Voyager the the leadership loses power. Causing exactly what they tried to avoid.

Well, yeh, that's what I'm saying... it doesn't seem logical #vulcanears
    edited October 2013

Ok, you're talking about hostility... I don't want to spoil too much, but from what is available on Tribble, the Federation are the open aggressors in this conflict. When investigating the Dyson Sphere, they found something which the Voth have a technological interest in as a power source, but which the Federation has standing orders to destroy, even if doing so means violating the Prime Directive.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So of all the things that the copyright holders say, "Ok," to, they approve dinosaurs with head lasers?

Here's my logic on why this is an absurd design decision:

The first thing that comes to my mind is evolution. The Voth have evolved to become humanoid, why would they weaponize their less evolved cousins? The equivalent would be for the Federation to make cyborg chimps and gorillas for their soldiers. This is obviously absurd and unnecessary given the state of human evolution in Star Trek. I feel the same for the Voth.
    Secondly, why would arming a T-Rex with a laser be any more effective than say, just using a laser? The T-Rex is not even capable of the intelligence required to use said laser with any sort of tactic. Hell, it can't even see!
    Lastly, I feel like this is an extremely uncreative and poorly thought out addition to the Voth because the Voth hold strictly to their belief in superiority through Evolution. They believe that they are the first species to become highly evolved in the Delta quadrant. When the crew of Voyager deciphered that the Voth shared ancestry with species from Earth, it nearly caused a civil war in the Voth society. In order to prevent a collapse of order, the information discovered by the Voyager crew was hidden and disavowed.
    Why the hell, then, would the Voth necro up some ACTUAL species that existed on Earth? Their skeletal structures would be clearly recognizable and provide inalienable proof that the Voth shared ancestry with species from Earth, not the Delta quadrant.
    Am I missing something here or is this just a really lousy design choice, given my opinion?

You Opinion is no More, nor No Less Valid, than anybody else's around here...

You simply have to decide for yourself whether or not what is about to be added to the game, is worth your time and effort.

Nothing anybody else tells you, will validate your feelings on the subject, unless they happen to agree with you.

The Dev's have given us several blogs on the subject, with several more most likely to come.

When it becomes too overwhelming for you to handle because it's not 'logical' to you, then it's time to find something else to entertain yourself with...

Or Not.

Simple, ain't it?

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited October 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Ok, you're talking about hostility... I don't want to spoil too much, but from what is available on Tribble, the Federation are the open aggressors in this conflict. When investigating the Dyson Sphere, they found something which the Voth have a technological interest in as a power source, but which the Federation has standing orders to destroy, even if doing so means violating the Prime Directive.
    If people didn't get it from that, they never will. :D
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For imagine if some voth or the dino with freaking lasers gets captured and look they're Voth the fed can just broadcast the truth and the record of Voyager the the leadership loses power. Causing exactly what they tried to avoid.

The whole point of the episode was that they had proof. A human skeleton is proof enough.

The Voth don't know about Earth dinosaurs. They don't compare themselves to Earth dinosaurs. It might mean something to the humans, but they're just primitive mammals without any Doctrine to guide them.

There might be some resemblance between ancient Earth fauna and Voth fauna, but humans and Vulcans and Romulans and Klingons all look alike, so that doesn't prove anything.
    edited October 2013

IF so fed must consider that fact they are still technically at war with KDF. and dealing with the threat of the Iconians and the Undine. I think Omega Directive has to take a back seat. The Voth have a HUGE tech advantage over Fed. Again BAD IDEA. how about finishing the BLOODY STORY BEFORE STARTING A NEW ONE!
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    You Opinion is no More, nor No Less Valid, than anybody else's around here...

You simply have to decide for yourself whether or not what is about to be added to the game, is worth your time and effort.

Nothing anybody else tells you, will validate your feelings on the subject, unless they happen to agree with you.

The Dev's have given us several blogs on the subject, with several more most likely to come.

When it becomes too overwhelming for you to handle because it's not 'logical' to you, then it's time to find something else to entertain yourself with...

Or Not.

Simple, ain't it?

Oh gee thanks for explaining how opinions work... honestly I think you've missed the point of this thread which is to discuss how this addition to the game seems to contradict the Voth doctrine. This thread is not about whether or not the dinos are fun and cool, or whether or not they should be in the game.
    edited October 2013

I have not played any of the content but from what you've said I will have to venture to guess that the sphere is powered by the Omega particle.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes, let the anger flow through you...let the hate consume you. Soon you will be more powerful than you could ever imagine!

Ha. Really though, gonna restate my opinion here that I disapprove as well, the whole Voth FE and S8 is looking ridiculous.
    edited October 2013
    IF so fed must consider that fact they are still technically at war with KDF. and dealing with the threat of the Iconians and the Undine. I think Omega Directive has to take a back seat. The Voth have a HUGE tech advantage over Fed. Again BAD IDEA. how about finishing the BLOODY STORY BEFORE STARTING A NEW ONE!

That story largely has been. Chronology between the campaigns is tricky, but the last open hostility in storyline content appears to have been the death of Ambassador B'vat, who before he's killed we learn has been artificially prolonging the war with wild Bond-villain scemes for some time already. The only hanging thread is the lack of a formal treaty, however Starfleet and the KDF have embarked on a number of joint operations since B'vat's death.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh gee thanks for explaining how opinions work... honestly I think you've missed the point of this thread which is to discuss how this addition to the game seems to contradict the Voth doctrine. This thread is not about whether or not the dinos are fun and cool, or whether or not they should be in the game.

No, you ended your last paragraph with:

"...Am I missing something here or is this just a really lousy design choice, given my opinion?"

Given your opinion, the only answers that will validate your opening remarks, are ones that Agree With You.

Anything else would just be counter productive to how you laid out the ground rules for your thread.

Which has now been 'merged'... kinda-sorta kills the moment. LoL

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cyborg chimps and gorillas
    Want.

/10char
    edited October 2013
    Slightly xenophobic? They were willing to destroy the Voyager and murder it's crew if their scientist didn't immediately return to stand trial for heresy.

That is NOT the recourse of a peaceful species.

They have colonies of their people isolated in exile from the rest of their society. You can't put and keep people in exile without the threat of violence.

only because the truth threatened their POWER. other wise peaceful. Remember Voth are decendants of herbavore's. PAY ATTENTION TO THE ACTUAL episode.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That wouldn't be very realistic now would it? Just as in real life new TRIBBLE is constantly starting and rarely is anything ever finished completely with a pretty bow. There are always loose ends.

You really did just play the reality card didn't you...
    edited October 2013
    My problem is with the game mechanics. For whatever reason the devs have chosen to not let us have our choice of Boff on the away team.
    That's a testing bug. You will be allowed to choose any 2 Boffs on your roster when it goes live.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay I gave this Voth TRIBBLE a fair chance and I don't like it.

My reason for not liking it has nothing to do with the Voth themselves.

My problem is with the game mechanics. For whatever reason the devs have chosen to not let us have our choice of Boff on the away team.

If I'm only allowed one Boff I want an Engineer. First I was forced to take my Sci until I deleted them from my Roster, Then I was forced to take a Tac. Once I deleted my Tacs and only had Engineers left I found I wasn't allowed a Boff at all.

If this goes live like this I won't be bothering with the Dyson Sphere at all.

I hate ground missions where they take away my Boff preferences.

Once it goes live we should be able to pick our BOffs. Right now it's just locked out since it's in a test mode.
    None. Once you enter the zone the proper way you get to choose your boffs. For now, while everything is in a testing state the boffs will be picked for you.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12984051&postcount=9
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Glad to hear that it isn't supposed to work like that when it goes live, cuz that's the only thing I could find that I felt justified a complaint.
    AFAIK a good workaround is to rearrange your default team so that the two boffs you want are in slots 1 and 2.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2013
    Tried that. Right now it flat out won't let me take Engineer Boffs on that mission. It skips over them to another Sci or Tac Boff, or I'm alone.
    Weird... when I did it, it automatically picked a Sci and Eng to be my team. IIRC they were my first two Boffs. *scurries off to try again*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    From what Cos said I'm guessing I'm smack in the middle of a bug on Tribble.
    Well I tried several different things and couldn't get it to change the boffs I had with me. O_o' yeah annoying bug...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I guess the mistery is solved.

Here's where the Season 8 Dinos came from:
    Taken by the T-Rex
    and
    Ravaged by the Raptor

So you just stuck some lasers on the head to get it even more fetish :D

This post has been edited (links removed) to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek